PDA

View Full Version : Flowers are HOW much?!?!

iluvmybaby
02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I am just plain struck dumb with the price of flowers. Yeah, plain ol flowers, not exotic orchids or anything, just flowers. Recentily, I had to send flowers for a funeral, they wanted the following for flowers

Casket Sprays
For Immediate Family
From $195 Delivered Crosses

For Immediate Family
From $225 Delivered Hearts
For Immediate Family

From $195 Delivered Wreaths
Aunts, Uncles, Friends

From $150 Delivered Sprays
Aunts, Uncles, Friends

From $125 Delivered Baskets
Nephews, Nieces
From $75 Delivered

The prices were enough to give me a heart attack alone, so now I might have to recycle them for MY funeral. The most cost effective I found was at pro flowers
Sympathy Arrangement in a Basket ($99.99)

NOW, onto Valentines day, they always have specials on, so I can't complain. ((I got a dozen roses for my mom and grandma for about $20 a piece))

bpl76
02-11-2008, 08:23 PM
"The prices were enough to give me a heart attack alone, so now I might have to recycle them for MY funeral. "

roflmao ITA

Jenefer3
02-11-2008, 08:35 PM
I know what you mean, I just had to send some for a funeral too. I found a discount code for 1800flowers so I saved 15%. I ended up paying a little under $50 for them. I saw some daisies that were $50! Daisies!!

ladybugva
02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I look at the grocery store and consider getting my own boquet for the house but they are so much so I can only imagine trying to send a big funeral boquet.

Shann
02-11-2008, 09:20 PM
yikes them are some flowers I won't be buying

okie
02-11-2008, 09:33 PM
When my husband's grandmother died a little over a year ago, all of the grandkids chipped in to buy her a spray to go over her casket and they spent about $200 for it.

mikang
02-12-2008, 01:01 AM
My sisters husband was buried today and the flowers that I got from me and my mom were $269 and change. They were beautiful, but I couldn't believe they were so high. I guess if you ask why the prices are high they will give you the same excuse everyone else does "gas prices"

janelle
02-12-2008, 01:20 AM
They are only high because they can get it. Roll eyes.

buttrfli
02-12-2008, 04:30 AM
UGH I can't imagine having to pay that much for something that won't last a week!

We used to live across the street from a flower shop and you wouldn't believe the nice flowers and plants they would throw away! We would go dumpster diving after they closed (and went home lol) and we (us and a couple of the neighbors) ALWAYS had nice plants and fresh flowers in the house :D

I say have a nice, but simple plant sent for the family to take home. My mom still has plants from my papa's funeral (3 years ago) and she really loved getting them.

freeby4me
02-12-2008, 05:08 AM
I honestly cannot believe they're allowed to get away with that. that is SICK.

Walmart has boquets of flowers for only 4 BUCKS RIGHT NOW. 4 dollars. Now yes, Walmart is a large company but come on, if they can sell them for that cheap and STILL MAKE A PROFIT then what the hell are these small shops doing.

nightrider127
02-12-2008, 05:38 AM
When my uncle died a couple years ago, 6 nieces and nephews put in $25 each for flowers. It was the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

I don't buy flowers so much anymore, they are way too expensive. I either give cash or take food to where ever the family is going to gather after the services are over with.

cab1277
02-12-2008, 07:05 AM
When my aunt died a few months ago there were a few floral arrangements. Mainly from the company that she worked for and her church. Mostly there were pretty potted plants, which I thought was a great idea. Nu uncle was able to take some of them home with him and gave the rest to her brother's families. The lilies especially were very pretty.

loris520
02-12-2008, 07:46 AM
When my aunt died a few months ago there were a few floral arrangements. Mainly from the company that she worked for and her church. Mostly there were pretty potted plants, which I thought was a great idea. Nu uncle was able to take some of them home with him and gave the rest to her brother's families. The lilies especially were very pretty.

That is a good idea!

iluvmybaby
02-12-2008, 08:02 AM

Such a SMART freaking idea! Something you can use for more then a half hour for a funeral, I think I will do that instead

DrGrin
02-12-2008, 08:46 AM
If you are having to wire the flowers to another city, definitely go with sending a potted plant- and don't forget that they will add wire fees on top of the cost of the flowers. Depending on the florist, wire fees run from $3-$15. I'd ask up front about the cost of wire fees.

If you're going to attend the funeral locally you might want to consider going to a nursery and picking out your own potted plant. (I've always thought the Peace plant made a nice thing to send to a funeral.) Then you could pick up a roll of the colored cellophane paper and a roll of ribbon. 15 minutes of your time and you could wrap the pot yourself, tie the ribbon around it and have under $20 in a nice potted plant. You could even find directions on making the bow online if you don't know how to make one. ;)

PrincessArky
02-12-2008, 09:05 AM
I honestly know how you feel and in the past 3 wks I have had to buy funeral flowers twice so now I am really short on funds

justme23
02-12-2008, 02:18 PM
I say have a nice, but simple plant sent for the family to take home. My mom still has plants from my papa's funeral (3 years ago) and she really loved getting them.

This is what I would do, too... my memaw has an Ivy that was sent for my mothers funeral 19 years ago.

dcut4
02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Whenever I have to send flowers/plants to an out of town funeral I always look online and call a local florist near the funeral home. I tell them what I want to spend and they tell me what I can get, usually a very nice plant for $20 plus delivery fees around $5. I NEVER go through FTD or any other online place.
My bosses nephew died last month and a few of us went in and for $65 we got a HUGE HUGE arrangement in a very nice take home basket that she could use for other things. Always try the local route first. Or you could send a donation to a charity of their choice. The funeral home would know how to do this and make sure they(the family) knows

magickay
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
And if you ever get a potted plant as a bereavment arrangement, and it's not up to snuff, let the person who purchased it know. My dearest friend (living in another state) sent a potted plant when my father passed many years ago, and the local florist sent out some small pot with scrawny nearly-dead assorted plants. I called her to thank her, but let her know what we received. She must have raised nine times of all kinds of hell, because we got a lovely Peace lily in the next day or so. Nothing can hurt a florist like bad word-of-mouth.

Jackie_Blu
02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Whenever I have to send flowers/plants to an out of town funeral I always look online and call a local florist near the funeral home. I tell them what I want to spend and they tell me what I can get, usually a very nice plant for $20 plus delivery fees around $5.

I did this when my dh's niece passed away a few months ago......the prices were exactly what the op quoted, except the cheapest thing was $85. I,too, the I was gonna have a heart attack. I asked the woman to repeat herself probably 3 times as I couldnt believe I was hearing it right lol Anyway, I got the $85 & she said they charge $5 for delivery. I get the cc bill later and it was for like $120!!!!! I called immediately and was told that I misheard her when I ordered & it was a $15 delivery (I didnt mishear......in fact I repeated it to her for verification), and then of course tax and some other charge they decided to add. Wound up in a big ol pissin match and I still had to pay it. Flowers are ridiculously high...wouldn't think they would've had to shaft someone more on top of it (and Im not saying ALL shops are dishonest)
Our local shops here are not even close to being that high...cant understand that.

pepperpot
02-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Did you know that florist often 'recycle' their flowers?

Not all the flowers at the funeral parlor go to the grave site. Where do you think those other flowers go? Yup! The funeral home cracks a deal with florist and the 'left over' flowers are reused. :agree