PDA

View Full Version : Postage going up again

Nanc952
02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080211/postage_rates.html?.v=6

In may the postage will raise .01 to cost .42 to mail a letter in May. Other rates will change too. It is getting too high to mail items. :(

Also the way I read this is that every year in May they can raise it if they want and as we all know they will want to.

Shann
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I just read that.. what bull :( and they wonder why ppl use e-mail hmm.... I wonder :rolleyes:

Tasha405
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I just seen that on tv. Ugh! It will be $0.50 to mail a letter pretty soon. Thats just crazy to me!

loveswolfs
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I heard it on the news. I think its just crazy.

okie
02-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Damn, pretty soon we're gonna need jobs just to mail things.

iluvmybaby
02-11-2008, 08:13 PM
This is why my life revolves around the internet. For $30 a month, which is the cost of my internet, I have eliminated long distance on my phone bill ((we IM and cam)) I have eliminated postage, I send an email, IM, or leave an offline message.

Qtxann315
02-11-2008, 10:43 PM
NO WAY! They just raised it not too long ago and now another raise. Damn, it's so expensive now a days. I still have like 2-3 bills that I need to pay through snail mail and if I could I would switch it to paying it electronically but the company only accept checks! I usually keep in contact over the internet because it's cheaper but there are things I can't avoid from using the snail mail. Soon enough the free samples we get from companies, it will diminish because of the cost of mailing it (hopefully not) or we will have to pay for postage! AH!!!

socks1211
02-12-2008, 08:44 AM
yea and i just bought a roll of stamps yesterday

Eyore
02-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I saw that yesterday that it was going up again. I rarely mail anything, I send emails and pay as many bills as I can online.
My sister this year ordered things online and had them sent to me and I wrapped them. This was for Christmas and for my granddaughter.
I sent my sons Christmas gift to him and paid for them to wrap it before shipping. It was only one thing so not to bad but I wouldn't do that for a lot of items because that is a little high.
Before my mortgage company sold to Citibank Mortgage, I mailed that payment in because if you paid online they hit you with a 15.00 fee. Not paying that when a stamp was alot cheaper.
Another company my daughter pays has now made it from free to paying online to 5.00 to pay online. Fine they will get it through the mail if they want to do that.
I don't understand why companies wouldn't want you pay online, they get there payment faster when you do.

PrincessArky
02-12-2008, 09:07 AM
I just read that.. what bull :( and they wonder why ppl use e-mail hmm.... I wonder :rolleyes:

exactly and I use my cell phone with the minutes in my package and free nights and weekends

YankeeMary
02-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Odd man out here...lol. I think .42 to mail a letter isn't too bad. You can mail a letter from one side of our country to the other. Thats amazing in itself and to do so for only .42 is pretty good actually IMO. No I do not like it that they are raising it but out of fairness with the price of gas them raising it only a penny is wonderful compare to all the other things that increased due to gasoline prices. I don't know how it will affect shipping boxes because a penny could really add up there and that would really be sad to not be able to afford to ship gifts and etc...

PrincessArky
02-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Odd man out here...lol. I think .42 to mail a letter isn't too bad. You can mail a letter from one side of our country to the other. Thats amazing in itself and to do so for only .42 is pretty good actually IMO. No I do not like it that they are raising it but out of fairness with the price of gas them raising it only a penny is wonderful compare to all the other things that increased due to gasoline prices. I don't know how it will affect shipping boxes because a penny could really add up there and that would really be sad to not be able to afford to ship gifts and etc...

I might agree if they didnt lose so much of my mail lol

YankeeMary
02-12-2008, 09:48 AM
I might agree if they didnt lose so much of my mail lol

I heard that. Maybe we share the same postal lady.

PrincessArky
02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I heard that. Maybe we share the same postal lady.

lol ours is very very sweet but also very very slow and doesnt seem to bright

cab1277
02-12-2008, 11:18 AM
CBS news today was telling people to go out and buy those "forever" stamps. Their $.41 right now and you can still use them when the rate goes up because its not printed on the stamp. I have some. They just have a bell on them. Maybe its about time to go buy a roll. I don't mail first class very often with Bill pay and email, but it might be kind of fun to know I'm thumbing my nose at their rate hike by mailing stuff at the cheaper rate ;)

fjp999
02-12-2008, 09:35 PM
CBS news today was telling people to go out and buy those "forever" stamps. Their $.41 right now and you can still use them when the rate goes up because its not printed on the stamp. I have some. They just have a bell on them. Maybe its about time to go buy a roll. I don't mail first class very often with Bill pay and email, but it might be kind of fun to know I'm thumbing my nose at their rate hike by mailing stuff at the cheaper rate ;)

That is what I am gonna do. I might buy two rolls and will have them for a couple years of rate increases.

whatever
02-13-2008, 10:11 AM

Is there a limit on how many you can buy of those?? cause if that is the case i will buy several of those before may!!

cab1277
02-14-2008, 06:42 AM
There's not any limit that I know of. I guess you'd have to check with your local PO to be sure though.

cathych
02-14-2008, 09:26 AM
The post office has lost several of my packages going out on swaps & stuff. I bet the cost of rising postage has to do with the rising cost of gas & stuff. After all, I have never seen a rich postman, so I know the money is not going to them.

azwup05
02-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Big pay increases approved for top Postal Service officers

Story from Linn’s Stamp News

WASHINGTON WATCH

BY BILL MCALLISTER

Postmaster General John E. “Jack” Potter and seven other senior United States Postal Service officers have been granted large raises, by the Postal Service board of governors.

The increases were disclosed by the Postal Service Jan. 3 in response to a Freedom of Information Act request filed by Linn’s.

The raises were approved May 2007 retroactive to Jan. 5, 2007, under the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006, which removed the top Postal Service officers from the federal pay cap that restricts the pay of most federal workers to that of no more than the vice president of the United States.

Citing a need to raise the pay of the Postal Service’s top officers, Congress voted in December 2006 to give the postal board of governors authority to boost the pay of up to 12 Postal Service officers up to an amount “not to exceed 120 percent of the vice president’s total annual compensation.” U.S. vice president Dick Cheney is currently paid a salary of $215,700.

The board authorized increases for eight officers.

Potter, the 72nd postmaster general, got the biggest increase. His salary jumped nearly 39 percent to $258,840, up from $186,600 in 2007. That’s an increase of $72,240 and the maximum pay allowed to Postal Service officers.

The pay of Patrick Donahoe, deputy postmaster general and chief operating officer, jumped to $235,000 from $186,000, a 26 percent raise.

The pay of Harold G. Walker, chief financial officer and executive vice president, rose to $215,000, up from $186,000.

Anthony Vegliante, chief human resources officer and executive vice president, saw his pay rise to $225,000, up from $183,100.

The pay of Anita Bizzotto, chief marketing officer and executive vice president, rose to $225,000, up from $183,100.

The pay of Mary Anne Gibbons, general counsel and senior vice president, rose to $215,000, up from $177,800.

William Galligan, senior vice president for operations, saw his pay rise to $215,000, up from $183,100.

Robert Otto, chief technology officer and vice president, saw his pay rise to $205,000, up from $177,800. Otto retired Oct. 1 and a successor has not yet been named.

Potter’s pay had been at the same level as that of cabinet officers, a reflection of the days when the postmaster general was a cabinet post. Cabinet members will be paid $191,300 this year, according to the Office of Personnel Management.

In releasing the salaries, Postal Service officials noted that in 2003 the President’s Commission on the Postal Service called for increasing the pay of top officers to a level competitive with private industry.

The Postal Service also noted that pay of some corporate executives who manage companies with fewer employees than the Postal Service earn far more than Potter will earn. Proctor & Gamble chief executive A.G. Lafley, for example, earns $29 million a year.

It also noted the pay of the executives of two private delivery firms: Frederick W. Smith, CEO of Federal Express earns $8.67 million and Michael L. Eskew of United Parcel Service earns $3.1 million.

The Postal Service also compared Potter’s pay with that of other postal chiefs.

Deutsche Post pays Klaus Zumwinkel $4 million. Peter Baker of Netherlands TNT earns $2.94 million, and the United Kingdom’s Royal Mail pays Adam Crozier $1.57 million. Australia Post pays CEO Graeme John $1.89 million; New Zealand Post pays CEO John Allen $733,000; Japan Post pays its president Norio Kitamura $246,737; and Canada Post pays CEO Moya Greene $483,876.

Potter’s pay trails that of three other government created organizations. Fred- earns $7.59 million. die Mac’s Richard Syron is The Tennessee Valley earning $11.47 million, and Authority pays CEO Tom Fannie Mae’s Daniel Mudd Kilgore $1.6 million.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......? Maybe this is why? Heck I can't get them to pay me for the carrier pickups I do for my Ebay customers. They owe me for 9 months worth. lol. If we owe them, we get a letter of demand, and it comes out! It isn't that they got a raise that gets to me, it's that they capped it from get go. We should not be comparing to the private owned, corporate officers salaries. Just as they should not compare ours to UPS or Fed EX. We have a long way to go to earn the respect we once had.

baragabrat
02-14-2008, 08:21 PM

That's what I was going to say. I bought stamps yesterday and was only going to get one book but the clerk told me postage is going up in May so I bought 3. I wish I had alot of money to invest in these stamps....like a few hundred dollars. Then I wouldn't have to worry about raises for quite awhile.