PDA

View Full Version : The rebirth of shame

Jolie Rouge
02-11-2008, 04:23 PM
The rebirth of shame
February 11, 2008

ABC News has the story of parents who are actually–gasp–acting like parents and refusing to let their children get away with rotten behavior. They spotlight some creative methods of discipline. Naturally, the self-esteem uber alles crowd is horrified: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4271266

After her 8-year-old son acted up in class, a Jacksonville, Fla., mom employed a controversial punishment to teach him a lesson.

Marcia Harvey made her son Roland stand on the sidewalk for three hours with a sign telling the world how he misbehaved in his second-grade class. The sign read, “I was rude to my teacher. I can’t come to school. I am sorry.” The other side read, “I will make good choices.”

Harvey said today on “Good Morning America” that she didn’t want to embarrass her son, but thought a different type of punishment might get the message across. “It was a way of getting his attention and getting him back on track,” Harvey said.

“I want him to be successful in life.”

Many ABCNews.com readers praised Harvey last week for taking a strong stand. One comment read: “It’s refreshing to see parents discipline their children without fear of reprisal.” But the sight of teary-eyed Roland tugged the heart strings of others readers, some of whom said Harvey had taken the punishment too far.

Some experts agree, saying teaching by humiliation does not work. “All it will do is produce more anger and resentment in the child,” said psychologist Jill Hunziker.

Harvey is not the first parent to try this form of discipline. Fed up by her 14-year old daughter’s bad grades, one Oklahoma City mom forced the teen to stand at a busy intersection wearing a sign that promised she would try harder in school.

“I was embarrassed and I think it helped me a lot,” said the daughter, Coretha Henderson. “It helped me realize that I can do better and I need to try harder.”

There’s hope yet.

I can tell you from working in the public school system and talks with family members in the justice system that there are far too many parents that provide no structure or discipline for their children.

I keep a list on my office wall :

“How to Raise a Juvenile Delinquent in 12 Easy Lesson“

1. Begin with infancy to give them everything they want.
That way they will grow up believing that the world owes them everything.

2. When they pick up “bad” or “dirty” words, laugh at them.
That will make them think it is “cute”.
They will then run off and pick up some words
that will blow the top of your head off.

3. Never give them any spiritual training, until the age of 21
and then let them decide on their own.
By the same logic, never teach them the English language.
Maybe when they are old enough, they will decide to speak Bantu.

4. Praise them in their presence to all the neighbors;
show how much smarter they are than the neighbors’ children
and anyone and everyone else.
Always be prepared to "up the ante" on other childrens efforts,
regardless of the facts.

5. Avoid the use of the word “wrong”.
It may cause them to develop a “guilt complex”.
This will prepare them to believe that when they are punished later on
for stealing cars or assaulting others that society is “against them”
and that they are being “persecuted”.

6. Pick up everything after them: shoes, books, clothes, etc.
Do everything for them so they will be experienced
at throwing burdens on others.

7. Let them read anything they want.
Have no concern whatever for what goes on in their mind.
Provide them with Lily cups for their lips,
but let their brain drink out of any dirty container
for words and ideas.

8. Quarrel frequently in the presence of your children.
This way they will be prepared for broken homes later.

9. Give them all the spending money they want.
Never require them to earn their own.
They should learn that society owes them a living
and they should never have to work to support themselves
or the next generation of delinquents they may raise.

10. Satisfy all of their cravings for food, drinks, and everything else
that has to do with the sense of taste and touch,
gratifying every sensual desire.
In this way, they can justify stealing from others,
raping someone for sexual gratification, using drugs, etc.

11. Take their side against policemen, teachers and neighbors.
They are all “prejudiced” against your child.

12. When they get into real trouble, always defend yourself and say,
“I never could do anything with that child.”

- Author Unknown

It is scary how many of those behaviors you can and will see in parents today. They must be studying hard to get everything on the list down pat, in case there is a quiz.

My hat goes off to these parents and others trying to find some way to set their children on the straight and narrow path, so they grow up to be productive citizens.

Anyone else have a similar story? Feel free to share.

PrincessArky
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Wonder what the public would think of this story..........12 yr old boy (nope not the only one in the class that didnt do his work) who decided out of laziness to NOT read the book for his book report ends up having to read a completely different book 1 chapter every night and take a pop quiz every day in class until the book is finished (along with all the others that didn't do their work).........that was what the teacher did..........the mom on the other hand explain to the son that a pop quiz every day taking 10 mins of class for the next 24 days of class was costing the other students (you know the few that actually did read their book and finished the book report) 240 mins (or 4 hrs) of an education and that wasnt fair to them. Mother made boy apologize to teacher AND fellow students in class for taken away from their learning experience because of his laziness

I have NO doubts that my son will one day thank me for how hard I am on him :)

oh yeah and he has to write ME a summary of every chapter every night just so I know he read it and it is stuck in his head

Shann
02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
you mean there are parents out there who actually discipline their child(ren)? really? where? I don't believe in spanking, but I also wouldn't allow my child to be a little shit and get away w/ everything. It drives me crazy when I'm out w/ my friend and her dd and her dd starts acting up and what does my friend do? she threatens her that they will go home or she won't get dessert w/ her meal blah blah blah, but does she follow through? NOPE so the little girl's learned she can do whatever she wants her mother won't follow through but yet she knows not to misbehave like that w/ her grandfather around... You better believe if I have a kid and they act anything like my friend's daughter we would so be out of there and she wouldn't get dessert, I'd eat it instead :lol teach my kids to be bratty ;)

PrincessArky
02-11-2008, 06:11 PM
you mean there are parents out there who actually discipline their child(ren)? really? where?

right here girly :)

freeby4me
02-11-2008, 06:14 PM

You GO GIRL!! You rock Big Momma!!! Thats what im going to start calling you Tough Momma!!! You Rock!!

PrincessArky
02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
You GO GIRL!! You rock Big Momma!!! Thats what im going to start calling you Tough Momma!!! You Rock!!

lol hey I will take that......I am sure the kids have something else they say when I walk out of the room but I know they will thank me one day :)

freeby4me
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
lol hey I will take that......I am sure the kids have something else they say when I walk out of the room but I know they will thank me one day :)

And thats whats so important, be a mother now, they dont need a friend.

Shann
02-11-2008, 06:27 PM

good for you, your kids will grow up w/ respect which is more than I can say for a lot of kids. The other day I was at Sam's and this lady was having trouble getting something in her cart and I think she was absolutely shocked when I offered to help, my mom taught me respect and sometimes it comes out of me :p lol j/k!

PrincessArky
02-11-2008, 06:31 PM
when my oldest were little I taught them 2 basic things........
#1 Always do what I tell them WITHOUT question
#2 always be respectful of themselves and others around them

we have just added on to them as we go.......I am a parent now when they are grown we will have plenty of time for being friends :)

hblueeyes
02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
I would also add to your list of 12

Be their friend instead of their parent, after all what they learn from the firt 12 no one would want to be their friend.

Me

Jolie Rouge
02-11-2008, 08:45 PM
1967 vs. 2007

Scenario: Jeffrey won’t be still in class, disrupts other students.

1967 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He returns to class, sits still, and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is diagnosed with A. D. D. and given huge doses of Ritalin. Be comes a zombie. School gets extra money from State because Jeffrey has a learning disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor’s car and his dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1967 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy’s dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is placed in foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist convinces Billy’s sister that she remembers being abused herself, and their dad goes to prison. Billy’s Mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Pedro fails English in high school.

1967 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2007 - Pedro’s cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro’s English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given a diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

gmyers
02-11-2008, 10:10 PM
I saw that on the news. He was holding the sign up in front of his face sometime and sometime he was crying. But I believe he'll never be disrespectful in class again. I'm surprised someone didn't accuse her of mentally acusing him. I was looking for someone to do that. It hurt his pride but I believe it also taught him theres consequences for his actions.