PDA

View Full Version : Walmart meat?

gmyers
02-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Anybody else noticed how salty some of it is? I barely put any salt on it when I cook it but its so salty it'll gag you. I've been shopping at Walmart Neighborhood store for a few years and the end of last year and this year I keep getting meat that is really salty without me putting much on when I cook it. I've got chuck roasts, cube steak, ribeyes, and pork chops that are like that. They taste so bad you can't eat them. I've thrown away more meat this year after I've cooked it because of that. I'm going to try a different grocery store this time and see if the meats like that there or if its just that store. The meat looks good and smells good but tastes terribly salty when I cook it and its way to expensive for me to keep having to throw it away after I cook it.

JKATHERINE
02-10-2008, 09:57 AM
As a general rule, I never buy meats from Walmart--only from my local grocery store. It's much fresher.

Urban Cowgirl
02-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I normally don't buy meat there either. I buy my beef from a cattle farmer, either by the 1/2 or 1/4....tastes so much better than store bought.

I do have to day while at Walmart recently I did buy a new deli meat they have, it was out of this world. It was applewood smoked ham and OMG was it good! Decided to try it because I LOVE Carrando's Applewood smoked bacon so when I saw the ham I had to try it.

Are you finding its just beef that is salty or poultry and pork as well?

gmyers
02-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I haven't bought any other kinds of pork lately but the boneless pork chops that I've bought are really salty too. Meats way too high there anyway and then to not be able to eat it cause it tastes salty is bad.

MsLynn
02-10-2008, 10:27 AM
we don't have much choice so i buy most of mine from walmat, no problems here.

gmyers
02-10-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm wondering if its something they're doing to their meat lately. Because I've shopped there for a few years and its just started tasting this way the last three or four months. And they're prices have really gone up too which ticks me off because the meat tastes bad.

freeby4me
02-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm wondering if its something they're doing to their meat lately. Because I've shopped there for a few years and its just started tasting this way the last three or four months. And they're prices have really gone up too which ticks me off because the meat tastes bad.

Maybe you should go in and talk to the butcher in the back and see what he has to say. He might straight up tell you they've changed something.

Is there any way you can buy your meat from a different store?

gmyers
02-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah thats what I'm going to do. I don't have a problem with the other food there just the meat.

ahippiechic
02-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I buy all our meat at Walmart. It's bery fresh and doesn't taste salty to me. I've never had a problem with meat there. But there are a few Walmart in other 'hoods here is Phoenix where their meat doesn't look as fresh.

gmyers
02-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Maybe its just the store then. I'm going to Food World this time and then maybe I'll try the Super Walmart and see how it is there.

ahippiechic
02-10-2008, 10:48 AM
The Walmart's here in Phoenix vary a lot. Price, item availability, how well the store is kept etc. I'm lucky that the one closest to us is a very nice store, as is the Target.

Nanc952
02-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Hate to tell you this but. I was taught as a child if meat is going bad to soak it in strong salt water and it will freshen it up. So maybe they are not selling it fast and using salt. Also salt will keep the meat fresher longer.

Run to another store and quit there but I would also complain as meat is too high to throw out after you buy.

gmyers
02-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I bought ribeye steaks the other day. Cost almost $13 for two and when I cooked them they were super salty and had another bad taste. Me and my husband took one bite and threw them away. The boneless pork chops were the same way. Now I have another ribeye steak and a pack of pork chops in the freezer I'm afraid to cook because they came from the same pack. I'll probably throw them away too. Those two packs of meat not only tasted salty but had a twangy taste too but they looked nice when I bought them. I hate throwing meat away its just too expensive. I also bought a chuck roast at the same time that was salty when I cooked it. Just those three packs of meat cost me $33.

Explorer 4x4'r
02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I heard they have their meat sent in from another country and they do alter it.
mainly using red dye to give the fresh looking appearance.

justme23
02-10-2008, 12:43 PM
All our meat comes from WM. We tried to support the local butcher but his prices are 3 times that of walmart. We could afford to pay it but we wouldn't have money for anything else! We haven't had any problems w/ it. We did just get a new Target super center though. I bought meat there once and it had the worst taste (it wasn't bad, I don't think, the store had only been open for 2 days). It was just disgusting. I never knew ground beef could be different from store to store. We definitely don't buy meat there anymore.

christianw27
02-10-2008, 12:45 PM
even if you cook it and it tastes crappy to you....if you want to haul it into walmart you get double your money back...

I bought a ham from them a while ago that was downright nasty, you couldn't even eat it and they told me when I called to ask them about it that if I would have brought the cooked ham back in I would have gotten double my money back.

Later I ended up buying something frozen there, when I opened it the inside package was opened and it looked nasty. I took it back and got double my money back.

Army-Mom
02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I mostly buy ground turkey and chicken from there and it has been fine so far..

gmyers
02-10-2008, 12:55 PM
even if you cook it and it tastes crappy to you....if you want to haul it into walmart you get double your money back...

I bought a ham from them a while ago that was downright nasty, you couldn't even eat it and they told me when I called to ask them about it that if I would have brought the cooked ham back in I would have gotten double my money back.

Later I ended up buying something frozen there, when I opened it the inside package was opened and it looked nasty. I took it back and got double my money back.

Thats good to know I didn't know you could take it back after you cook it. Thanks thats what I'll do if I ever get bad meat again. But for now I don't think I'm going to buy anymore from walmart for a while definitely not from that store.

jnc880
02-10-2008, 01:26 PM
As a general rule, I never buy meats from Walmart--only from my local grocery store. It's much fresher.

ditto Plus you never know how long that meat has been sitting on the trucks! I have had to buy meat at walmart once and never will do it again!! They will never take over my grocery store!!They think they can but they wont!!

Beso
02-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't have a problem with mine, but then again I don't usually buy meat there. I have bought chickend and pork, and no problems there. Mostly i stock up on veggies and noodles and stuff.

PrincessArky
02-10-2008, 01:56 PM

ditto.......most of the meats that come into our walmart have been frozen and lord only knows how old it really is

JKATHERINE
02-10-2008, 02:38 PM
I normally don't buy meat there either. I buy my beef from a cattle farmer, either by the 1/2 or 1/4....tastes so much better than store bought.

I do have to day while at Walmart recently I did buy a new deli meat they have, it was out of this world. It was applewood smoked ham and OMG was it good! Decided to try it because I LOVE Carrando's Applewood smoked bacon so when I saw the ham I had to try it.

Are you finding its just beef that is salty or poultry and pork as well?

I buy lunchmeat there, I just don't buy the packaged hamburg, pork or steak, etc. I love their Prima Della Honey Turkey! :

earnhardt1
02-10-2008, 04:42 PM
we buy all our meat from a butcher he is a friend of the family so we a great deal on everything

gmyers
02-10-2008, 05:29 PM
We used to go to a meat market that was close to our house but he sold the business and the new owners didn't stay there lomg. He had the best meat and reasonably priced too. I miss it a lot.

Shann
02-10-2008, 06:00 PM

yep yep, I'll buy from Sam's as we've never had probs but Walmart's is pretty nasty to me out here.

BigLyd1
02-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Thats good to know I didn't know you could take it back after you cook it. Thanks thats what I'll do if I ever get bad meat again. But for now I don't think I'm going to buy anymore from walmart for a while definitely not from that store.

I wish other stores would do that. I put a corned beef brisket (not from Walmart) in the crock pot for over 10 hours last week and it was tough as leather. Had to throw it away.

Eyore
02-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Personally I don't care for walmarts meat. Once in a blue moon I might pick some up there but I rather go to my local grocery store for my meat.
The stores do not have a meat cutting dept. The meat is sent in prepackaged.
The also put some kind of solution in there meats, I assume to keep it fresher. I did go a google to confirm what I had been told about this and found this article. This is from 2006 but I wouldn't think Wal-Mart would have changed anything at least not for the better.

http://thewritingonthewal.net/?p=1353
« A MARKET-BASED SOLUTION…?MEXICO SI…! WAL MART NO…! »Why does Wal-Mart sell meat injected with water and chemicals?
If you read this space regularly, you know I’m a tad obsessed about the meat at Wal-Mart. It’s not that I plan to eat any of it soon, it’s that I think people ought to know exactly what gets done to it. I’ve been following the story Wal-Mart suppliers gassing the meat with carbon monoxide for months, and I knew that Wal-Mart watered down its meat but I didn’t quite understand how much until I read this outraged letter to Wal-Mart CEO Lee Scott:

I didn’t take the time to inspect the entire meat department but I did look at a small sampling of those cuts around me.

Ham………….contained……23% solution
Chicken Breasts.contained……15% solution
Pork Roast……contained……12% solution
Ground Round….contained……15% solution
Chuck Roast…..contained……11% solution
Beef Fillet…..contained……20% solution

I have no doubt in my mind that this is (sorry about the pun), just the tip of the iceburg. If you carry this through, you will realize that we’re paying considerably more per pound of “meat” than the label implies. While we believe we’re buying a 5-pound fillet for $4.96 per pound or $24.80 total, in reality, it’s costing considerably more. Divide the price for the four pounds of actual meat when you subtract for a pound for the solution and you’ll see that we paid $6.20 for a pound for the actual meat.

Now I realize this guy didn’t do a scientific survey or anything, but Wal-Mart told the NYT that “a majority of its fresh offerings are enhanced with a 6 to 12 percent solution of water, salt, sodium phosphate and natural flavorings.” Perhaps they have their math a little off?

If Wal-Mart isn’t selling water in its meat in order to rip people off, what exactly is all that solution doing in there? Here’s Wal-Mart’s explanation to the Hartford Courant:

Wal-Mart’s corporate headquarters told me that all its case-ready beef (packaged at the processing plant) is “enhanced with a maximum 12 percent solution of water, sodium phosphate, salt, and natural flavorings. As a result, case-ready beef is superior in tenderness, texture, juiciness, and flavor to non-enhanced beef cuts and provides a preferred eating experience.

[Emphasis added]”

So let me get this straight. Wal-Mart saves money buying its meat from factory farms. Wal-Mart saves money by not hiring meatcutters so that they won’t unionize. Wal-Mart saves money by selling its customers water at the same price by weight they charge for meat. Yet they’re trying to tell us they sell meat injected with water and chemicals because we’ll get a “preferred eating experience?”

How dumb do they think we are?

Posted by Jonathan Rees

This entry was posted on Sunday, September 24th, 2006 at 1619 and is filed under Meat, Walmart.

gmyers
02-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Maybe its those "natural flavorings" that are giving it that nasty, twangy taste lately. Something is. The ribeye steaks were so nasty tasting I took one bite and had to spit it out.

justme23
02-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Eeyore, Walmart isn't the only grocer to do that. Stories on stuff they put in meat has been all over the news in my city lately. Even the local stores that ppl prefer to support put stuff in their meat to keep it looking red for basically ever as long as it isn't opened. I find that to be hugely deceptive... but most ppl assume red means fresh... so they ALL do it.

I'm not trying to be supportive of walmart, cause I really would prefer not to shop there ever... I just thought all sides should be presented.

Eyore
02-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Actually I can believe some other stores do that. I don't think the ones I go to locally do, but I could be wrong. I have already bought meat and set it in the fridge, the next day it will be starting to get that brown look to it, especially hamburger. But the date on it is good.
I always think Wal-Marts meat has a slimy feel to it where the local grocery stores don't.
But truth be told, we don't know really what is in anything we buy for sure.

tracey74
02-10-2008, 11:04 PM
lat I read somewhere that hillary clinton was on the walmart board of directors or some such thing but anyway I hardly buy meat from walmart either because of their prices. their meat cost double there than what it does at other stores. and my dad used to work in a store and most that have meat that goes brown(but not spoiled) with either use fresh meat to add to it to make it look fresh or like others stated add dye to it. personally Id start complaining to the corporate office about how their meat is and see what happens.if its like this all over the country then it needs to stop bad enough with all the recalls its getting hard to eat anything anymore but we should be able to get our moneys worth not waste it on food that tastes so bad you cant eat it.Id try different stores also or even maybe a different walmart. our walmart supercenter has a butcher and any meat I have bought there in the past was good we had no problems with it. so who knows but I wouldnt let them get away with this without making a complaint and taking my business elsewhere.

kelblend
02-11-2008, 12:29 AM
I've never bought meat at Walmart. I really don't shop there if I can help it. It could be that the one in my area is just crappy in comparison to some of yours. I have had problems with Meijer meat tasting weird. I won't buy their hamburger, but their pork chops were fine. I don't know how many people have Meijer's in their area, but I'm real sure it isn't nearly the amount of Walmarts.

Eyore
02-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Meijer is only in MI, IL, IN, OH and KY. I have been in one in IN and they seem like a nice store. My sister would rather buy food items from Meijer than Wal-mart. I remember her saying that but not sure why.

metro
02-12-2008, 08:45 AM
We never buy our meat at walmart. It's terrible here. We buy lunchmeat and cheese from the deli but that's it.