PDA

View Full Version : I don't see how they can do this!!!

whatever
02-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Okay so this is my vent!!
ON my checks i just have my name, my dh's name and our address. (full address with street state, zip)
Anyway my husband and i were talking and i said i'm getting sick of stores asking for my phone number.What do they need it for. They write down my drivers license number on my check. So they have that. Its not going to bounce. but if they are worried they can find me that way. Anyway he said tell them you don't have a home phone. Well the other day at a store sure enough she wrote down my dL number on the check then wanted my phone number. I said i don't have one. She said she wanted my cell phone. I told her i'm not giving her that. She said she needs a number to reach me. I said i'm not giving you anyone else's phone number. What do you need it for. she said if this check bounces. I said you have all my info on that check. Then she gave me some sob story that she would be written up if she did not get my phone number. Also she tried to tell me it was posted on the counter.
I read it and all it said was their address must be on the check. She said my manager swore to me it said phone number to. She kept saying i will be written up. Finally i gave in and gave it to her. And then just last night at another local store it happened again. I am sick of this!!! I think their needs to be something done. I feel they should not be able to ask for it!! The more info they store in there darn computers the easier it is for hackers!!!:getyou
And i told them so last night. I know they think i'm afraid my check will bounce. which is a joke. I have a lot in my checking for imergencies.
But i feel if they get my DL what do they need my phone number for!!!!!!!!!!

ANd what if i really don't have a home phone. I sure as heck aint given out my cell phone!

aussiegirl
02-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Just give them a fake phone number.

ElleGee
02-03-2008, 10:15 AM
And that is why I have a check card instead of paper checks..

DBackFan
02-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Gish I haven't written a check at a store in years I always use a check card too...everywhere.

earnhardt1
02-03-2008, 10:30 AM
i use the check card for everything except 3 credit cards that i have to mail in

Pepsi4me
02-03-2008, 10:33 AM
If you have a checking account almost all banks have the check cards now. There really is no need to write a check at stores.

ElleGee
02-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I did have to write out a check the other day for 4 bucks b/c the ER parking lot doesn't take credit or debit cards(?!?!??!)

YankeeMary
02-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I ordered checks through our bank the other day and was telling them how I want it to read at the top. I told her our number and she said, lets not put a phone number on it, it just makes it that much easier for an identity theif. She said if they want your number they can always write it on there but would tell them they can write either your DL or your phone number but not both. I tend to agree with her on this.
Like Aussie said, give a fake number.

YankeeMary
02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
And just for the record my mom doesn't have a debit card. Her bank doesn't use them. She has to write checks.

I remember years ago when the more info you could have put on the check the better it was...lol. I remember mine use to have my social on it, phone number and DL. Spooky.

whatever
02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Just give them a fake phone number.

what a great idea. That is what i am going to do!!! I don't think this should be legal what they are doing!! I am toying with the idea of contacting my attorney general about it! It ticks me off. The more info they store in their data base the more a hacker gets:getyou

YNKYH8R
02-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Call me crazy but you'd actually consider giving a false phone number than get a check card?

kyswpgrl
02-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Many people don't have home phone #s anymore. So even if they have your address, they can't look up the # if it's a cell phone or unlisted. My checks have all my info aside from my DL #, but I only write a check for daycare and school. The rest gets paid for by debit card. A few bills I use my bank's online bill pay.

okie
02-03-2008, 11:18 AM
What gets me is all the companies that want our social. There should be no reason the phone company or electric company need to know that. Actually, that is only supposed to be used for taxes. Every company in this country think they have a right to it though.

whatever
02-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't have a debit card. I don't write many checks. I mostly use cc's because i get paid to use them. We pay the balance off each month and they pay 5% on gas, groc, and pharm. and 2% for everything else. So i the most i write checks for is bills. but some smalls store around here IE: dollar store does not take master card. ANd if the balance is small i will use a check.
thus i don't need a debit card.

kyswpgrl
02-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I don't have a debit card. I don't write many checks. I mostly use cc's because i get paid to use them. We pay the balance off each month and they pay 5% on gas, groc, and pharm. and 2% for everything else. So i the most i write checks for is bills. but some smalls store around here IE: dollar store does not take master card. ANd if the balance is small i will use a check.
thus i don't need a debit card.
Every dollar type store in our area now accepts debit cards. Would save you the hassle of writing a check AND getting upset when they ask for your personal info.

YNKYH8R
02-03-2008, 11:30 AM
What gets me is all the companies that want our social. There should be no reason the phone company or electric company need to know that. Actually, that is only supposed to be used for taxes. Every company in this country think they have a right to it though.Actually the electric and phone company need it because it can effect your credit if you're cronically late on paying a bill or never pay them at all. IE if you request power for your apartment thene never pay them and have an oustanding balance and never pay; move and try to get power else where they track you by your ss and won't provide power under your name.

SLance68
02-03-2008, 11:31 AM
What gets me is all the companies that want our social. There should be no reason the phone company or electric company need to know that. Actually, that is only supposed to be used for taxes. Every company in this country think they have a right to it though.

The reason these companies need your SS # is to make sure you didn't skip out on a previous debt with them or another utility. The only way they have to track that is by the SS#. Your SS# is NOT just for taxes it is also how your credit record/scores, educational records, medical records & lots of other info is filed.

PinkAquila
02-03-2008, 11:46 AM
You can always give them Jenny's phone #
867 5309 lol

(for those who don't know Jenny, this was an 80's song)

Pink

tsquared
02-03-2008, 11:49 AM
also they are saying on your signature area on the checks it should be left blank........that way if some are stolen they have no clue how you sign your name. Our county attorney here tells us all we need on the check is a DL number as that is how they track them.

lucimPI
02-03-2008, 12:10 PM
HMMMM, We just have on our checks
Mr. or Mrs. (DH first initial of first name. first initial of middle name) and last name
Since we live in a small town we have a PO Box- so that is there -We do have our phone #
Then the name of the town and state and zip

(example)
Mr. or Mrs. A.B. Last Name
TX#
P.O. Box 12
City, State and Zip

If they want to see my DL ok but I do not let them write down DL#.

I also do not use a debit card (will use credit card) don't use debit because on either 60 minutes or 20/20, they had a show that said debit cards were the easiest for someone to get into and empty your entire account. And I never give out my SS# to anyone. To tell the truth I have to look on my DL to see what mine is.
Something funny, when I worked as a corrections officer, everyone that I booked in knew their SS# and you could set my feet on fire and I still would not remember mine.

whatever
02-03-2008, 01:04 PM
HMMMM, We just have on our checks
Mr. or Mrs. (DH first initial of first name. first initial of middle name) and last name
Since we live in a small town we have a PO Box- so that is there -We do have our phone #
Then the name of the town and state and zip

(example)
Mr. or Mrs. A.B. Last Name
TX#
P.O. Box 12
City, State and Zip

If they want to see my DL ok but I do not let them write down DL#.

I also do not use a debit card (will use credit card) don't use debit because on either 60 minutes or 20/20, they had a show that said debit cards were the easiest for someone to get into and empty your entire account. And I never give out my SS# to anyone. To tell the truth I have to look on my DL to see what mine is.
Something funny, when I worked as a corrections officer, everyone that I booked in knew their SS# and you could set my feet on fire and I still would not remember mine.

you should not have your SS on your dl either!! My dh still does and that irritates me!! that highly recommend you remove it and have them give you a issued #. gosh i know my ss and my dh's by heart.
And i like the idea of the 867 5309 number LOL:rofl:

whatever
02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
also they are saying on your signature area on the checks it should be left blank........that way if some are stolen they have no clue how you sign your name. Our county attorney here tells us all we need on the check is a DL number as that is how they track them.

do you mean don't sign them? I dont think they would accept them unsigned. I have actually forgotten that once and she handed it back to me and made me sign it.

tigger4
02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't see the big deal with putting my phone number on the check. Here they rarely if ever ask for my DL# when I write a check and they don't ask for ss#'s either.

Some states require that you have your social security number on your drivers license, some don't. Some states you can opt out of having your ss# number on the license.

RNB16
02-03-2008, 01:59 PM
They aren't entering your phone # information into a database of any kind, they simply want it on the check to be able to call you if the check bounces and it's returned to them. Personally if there is something I WON"T pu on a check unless asked for it's my DL#, I do not have my checks printed with that info on them or my phone #. Any place of buisness has absolutly NO CLUE if you have the funds in your account to cover the check you are writing to them. As far as not signing the backs of credit or debit cards this is a good idea but instead of leaving it blank you should write CHECK ID in that signature space. I worked at a bank for years and we suggested this to our customers who weren't comfotable with their signature on their cards.

lassss
02-03-2008, 02:32 PM
See if your bank has a debit card that gives rewards. I know of a few banks that do this. I use my debit card all the time and get rewards

SLance68
02-03-2008, 02:32 PM
As far as not signing the backs of credit or debit cards this is a good idea but instead of leaving it blank you should write CHECK ID in that signature space. I worked at a bank for years and we suggested this to our customers who weren't comfortable with their signature on their cards.

There are some cards that are not acceptable if they are not signed. Look at the back of an American Express Card - they require a signature or they are "invalid". Not that anyone wouldn't take one without a signature- heck I use my bosses AMX card all the time for phone & internet orders and no one has ever asked if I was him.

It is not a good idea to just write See Id or Check ID and not sign them. Anyone could make a fake id with your name. The signature is usually harder to copy. But if someone wants to rip you off bad enough they will find a way around that signature.

Shann
02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
people still write checks?!?! seriously? At my bank I get a little change everytime I use my debit card, so that's what I always use. I'm sorry but I cannot stand those ppl that wait til their order is all rung up and THEN pull out their checkbooks and start writing it, I want to yell at them to get a damn check/debit card so the rest of us don't have to wait for their slow ass. :p I'm quite impatient

Shann
02-03-2008, 03:31 PM
do you mean don't sign them? I dont think they would accept them unsigned. I have actually forgotten that once and she handed it back to me and made me sign it.

what I think he's saying is DON'T pre-sign them. You have to sign them when handing them over for tender.

kyswpgrl
02-03-2008, 05:29 PM
people still write checks?!?! seriously? At my bank I get a little change everytime I use my debit card, so that's what I always use. I'm sorry but I cannot stand those ppl that wait til their order is all rung up and THEN pull out their checkbooks and start writing it, I want to yell at them to get a damn check/debit card so the rest of us don't have to wait for their slow ass. :p I'm quite impatient
I'm the same way. Even back when I used checks, I would have it all filled out except for the amount so the people behind me didn't have to wait. Even at Walmart they now have that electronic checking, but people will STILL sit there and fill out the whole dang check.

teenap
02-03-2008, 05:37 PM
i was told when I got my mortgage that If I had to skip bills was to skip electric and phone because they do not go against your credit, but skipping mortgage payments does

kyswpgrl
02-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I have been told the only thing that doesn't go against your credit is medical bills. However, I could not get my mortgage until I had EVERYTHING paid off, including medical, that showed up on my credit report.

Unicornmom77
02-03-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm the same way. Even back when I used checks, I would have it all filled out except for the amount so the people behind me didn't have to wait. Even at Walmart they now have that electronic checking, but people will STILL sit there and fill out the whole dang check.

Oh I KNOW! Being an Ex-wally world cashier, I HATED this... I was often told if something so trivial made me so mad I should be in a different type of work...

Lol It would bug me to no end when customers would start to write it out and I would politely say "Oh you only have to sign it if you would like" then they would be like oh well I already started it might as well finish it... WHY???? ARRRRRRHG!

I think there are flaws with every type of banking, and there are holes where people can get into your accounts no matter how you do it, you just have to try and be careful and hope for the best.

loveswolfs
02-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I still write checks some times, but i all so will have most of it filled out except the total. I do have my ph# & DL on my checks cuz i was getting tired of them asking for it all the time. I do not have the back of my debit card signed.

One place i worked at we had a guy come in an order $500 worth of food and wine. He said he didnt have his credit card on him but wrote the numbers on a piece of paper & when the card expired. He said he didnt like to carry cards with him he didnt want to loose them. A week later he came in and bought close to $800 worth of food & booze again. The owner was there both times and told us to punch the #'s in. Three days later the store got a phone call seams the card was stolen. The owner was out the money and food. If some one steals your card & wants to use it they will find away with or with out your sig on it.

bonniejeanne
02-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Oh I KNOW! Being an Ex-wally world cashier, I HATED this... I was often told if something so trivial made me so mad I should be in a different type of work...

Lol It would bug me to no end when customers would start to write it out and I would politely say "Oh you only have to sign it if you would like" then they would be like oh well I already started it might as well finish it... WHY????

They don't even have to sign the check since they get it back anyway. All the customers have to do is sign the slip of paper we keep. But what gets me is that 95% of those who want to write a check don't even carry a pen. They have to borrow our pen and then proceed to take 10 minutes to not only fill out their check (when they don't have to) but also balance their checkbook. Then they cough and sneeze all over our pens and hand them back to us. I even had one customer lick the tip of the pen once before she wrote with it. How gross is that?

ilovecats
02-03-2008, 08:33 PM
The reason they ask for the phone # is for times like when I wrote A check and actually forgot to sign my name.The cashier should have noticed and didn't.The store was able to call me and let me know.

tracey74
02-04-2008, 12:47 AM
i was told when I got my mortgage that If I had to skip bills was to skip electric and phone because they do not go against your credit, but skipping mortgage payments does
yes utilities do go against your credit if you are 30 days late(like if you get an electric bill every 2 months it will show that you are 30 days late(or at least it has for me) I pay my electric monthly because thats the only way I can afford it but most utilities like gas,electric will go on your credit report.as well as places like columbia house,bmg and some book clubs.and the mortgage as well goes on your credit report as well as dr bills.sometime it wont be on all 3 credit reports(trans union,equifax,experian) but it will most likely be on one of them. so dont believe someone when they say utilities wont go on your credit report cause now they do.

PrincessArky
02-04-2008, 05:23 AM
I use a debit card for everything except when I got to my old fashion dentist that only takes cash or check so I write like one or two checks a year lol

3lilpigs
02-04-2008, 06:26 AM
On my checks, I have my name and address, and under that I actually had them print "NO Phone Number". The cashier reads that and moves on.

They don't need your phone number anyhow. THEY aren't the ones who are going to contact you if your check bounces. The BANK is the one who contacts you.

And they are NOT suppose to write your DL info on your check either. You can tell them not too, and they are suppose to listen.

Ask your bank. I'm sure they'll agree.

3lilpigs
02-04-2008, 06:28 AM
yes utilities do go against your credit if you are 30 days late(like if you get an electric bill every 2 months it will show that you are 30 days late(or at least it has for me) .

I just got copies of my credit report from all 3 credit bureaus, and there is nothing on there from utilities.

I don't think utilities are considered "credit."

cinnamonch
02-04-2008, 06:47 AM
On my checks, I have my name and address, and under that I actually had them print "NO Phone Number". The cashier reads that and moves on.

They don't need your phone number anyhow. THEY aren't the ones who are going to contact you if your check bounces. The BANK is the one who contacts you.

And they are NOT suppose to write your DL info on your check either. You can tell them not too, and they are suppose to listen.

Actually you are incorrect as to who contacts you when a check bounces. The store's bank will return it to the store and it's up the that store to try and collect. If you don't pay it, then the store has to go through the process of contacting the DA (at least where I live) and turning it over to them for prosecution.

people still write checks?!?! seriously? At my bank I get a little change everytime I use my debit card, so that's what I always use. I'm sorry but I cannot stand those ppl that wait til their order is all rung up and THEN pull out their checkbooks and start writing it, I want to yell at them to get a damn check/debit card so the rest of us don't have to wait for their slow ass. I'm quite impatient

This comment reminded me of the commericals that are out now where people are out dining or shopping and everyone is using their debit card and then along comes one person who pulls out their checkbook.

Any place of buisness has absolutly NO CLUE if you have the funds in your account to cover the check you are writing to them.

In this day and age they do know if the money is there. Most companies process checks like debit cards and it takes the money at the time the check the check is presented.

ElleGee
02-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Utility AND medical bills DO go against your credit.. I had to pay off an electric bill 4 years old to qualify for a better rate mortgage.

Whoever is telling you (teenap) that they do not count should not be in the business they are in until they do their research

pedrian
02-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Wow, it is a bit shocking to me that people really think information can be obtained by a store because they have your drivers license. You can't get the phone number from that! I worked in retail for many years and that is only used to prosecute you. They do not know if you have enough money to cover the check when they take it and they have to have that phone number to call you if it is returned. The store will call you, not the bank. I even had to collect from a celebrity once who bounced a check! Please don't give out fake numbers either. That just causes problems for the person whose number it really is. If a store calls and they are told it is a wrong number, they usually will not believe the person because people who bounce checks will often lie that it is not them when they are called. Then they keep calling that same number over and over, trying to collect on the bounced check. Please have a little sympathy for the poor cashier, as they likely will be written up if they take your check without getting the dl# as well as the phone number. If stores didn't have so many bad checks to deal with, this would not be an issue, but most stores lose money on bad checks. I have had very few actually pay when I called them.

tigger4
02-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Everyone is right it is up to the person you wrote the check to to collect on a bad debt, not the bank.

I have had to do collections for our PTA many times.

As for writing the check out at Walmart even though you don't have to, I do it because I have duplicate checks and that way I have a copy of what I wrote so I can balance my checkbook. I forget to write down checks in the register sometimes.

Oh and whoever said they get a little change from each time they use their debit card. If you are using Bank of America they are not giving you change they are rounding up the amount you are putting on your debit and then putting it into your savings account. So, if you spend $29.10 they are putting 90 cents in your savings from YOUR checking. So, you have to be real careful when you balance your checkbook because you may have thought you spent $29.10, but you really spent $30.00.

Explorer 4x4'r
02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Interesting.......

I use my check card at most places.
I never sign the back of ANY credit/bank card. I have CID on the sig line and most will ask to see it.
I do still write checks sometimes and I never give them my phone number. If they ask for a DL, I let them see it.
On my checks I have printed:
DH's first initial, last name
my: first initial, last name
city, state and zip
NO phone, no DL and no street address

I'm pretty sure that medical/hospital bills don't count against you on your credit

PrincessArky
02-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Interesting.......
I'm pretty sure that medical/hospital bills don't count against you on your credit

oh yeah they do if they are over due

pedrian
02-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Medical bills may not show up right away on credit report, but they may. It depends on who you owe and how long you have owed them. More and more places are showing up on your credit report though. If the account goes to collection, be it medical or utilities, you can bet it shows up on your credit report.

cinnamonch
02-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Medical bills may not show up right away on credit report, but they may. It depends on who you owe and how long you have owed them. More and more places are showing up on your credit report though. If the account goes to collection, be it medical or utilities, you can bet it shows up on your credit report.

What people also aren't aware of is hospitals, dr, etc can go after you tax returns now.

ElleGee
02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
My 4 year old electric bill that I forgot I had an account with still went against my credit.

atprm
02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Call me crazy but you'd actually consider giving a false phone number than get a check card?

absolutely! I give the non-emergency number for the police department when pressured for my phone number.

Actually the electric and phone company need it because it can effect your credit if you're cronically late on paying a bill or never pay them at all. IE if you request power for your apartment thene never pay them and have an oustanding balance and never pay; move and try to get power else where they track you by your ss and won't provide power under your name.

our electric, gas or phone companies do not require you provide a social security number on your checks.

I write checks for everything unless I am grocery shopping... for that I use coupons and $20 (or less).

PrincessArky
02-04-2008, 01:38 PM
our electric, gas or phone companies do not require you provide a social security number on your checks.

They get it when you sign up so they would already have it on file........at least all of them I have ever used before do it that way

lassss
02-04-2008, 02:21 PM
medical bills DO go against your credit report if they are late or written off. DH had an old medical bill for his late wife on his credit report that he refused to pay. It affected his credit rating until I told to just pay it off. It wasn't a huge amount (about $100) but it was the principal to him. Once he paid it off, his credit score shot back up

freeby4me
02-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Yup, you need a social security number to turn on utilities. Thats why so many kids have bad credit by the time they're 18. They're worthless parents ruined their own credit and went on to ruin their childs. Scum.

Anyways back to the point. We have SO's DL number, our address and phone number on our checks. He writes out a check every two or three days to gas stations and they need a QUICK way to get ahold of you if the check bounces. As far as im concerned, if you dont want to give out your number, start using cash.

pedrian
02-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Yup, you need a social security number to turn on utilities. Thats why so many kids have bad credit by the time they're 18. They're worthless parents ruined their own credit and went on to ruin their childs. Scum.

Anyways back to the point. We have SO's DL number, our address and phone number on our checks. He writes out a check every two or three days to gas stations and they need a QUICK way to get ahold of you if the check bounces. As far as im concerned, if you dont want to give out your number, start using cash.

My sil was hurt by his mother like that. I doubt he will ever forgive her.

I have to agree with your comment about using cash also. Sometimes even good people can make an error and cause a check to bounce, why shouldn't they ask for your phone number in case something goes wrong? I had a really weird thing happen to me that caused my account to return checks. I have never written a check I didn't have the money to cover, but crap happens to the best of people sometimes. It costs a business to accept checks that bounce. That cost is later passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices. If you can't give out your propper phone number to a business doing you a favor by taking your check, then pay cash please. I am rather shocked that people seem to think a business is pulling some crap just by insisting on a phone number when you write a check.

tracey74
02-04-2008, 03:51 PM
one reason I dont use checks I had a check book we no longer used ,we had closed our account with the bank my sister when she was in middle school got a few of them and forged my name to buy 2 yearbooks from school . the checks had my phone number on them and first the bank called me and told me about it I told them I didnt sign the checks nor did I give her any checks then the school called me and tried to tell me I owed them that money. and I told them they were nuts since the account was closed months before she forged the checks and the teacher tried to say I was responsible for them I told her that my sister stole the check and that my parents were responsible not me since they were taken and forged without my knowledge so it is a good thing I had my number on them or I would have never known that my sister did this and Im lucky the bank didnt charge me for them.

flute
02-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Well I would've suggested the private free phone # http://www.privatephone.com/ , but it appears it will be ending in 2 weeks.
Sorry!

whatever
02-04-2008, 05:52 PM

My dh wasJust saying we should do this!! I am going to call my bank. I was going today and got busy. And my cell phone was dead. And i use it for all my long distance. I am NO longer giving out my phone number!! It is making it way to easy for people to get my info!!!

kyswpgrl
02-04-2008, 06:07 PM
As for writing the check out at Walmart even though you don't have to, I do it because I have duplicate checks and that way I have a copy of what I wrote so I can balance my checkbook. I forget to write down checks in the register sometimes.
I have duplicates too, but there are ways around that. Put the receipt in your checkbook so you write it down later.

magickay
02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't have a check card -- it doesn't afford the same protection as credit cards if they are stolen and used. I don't carry checks, though we have them at home. We still pay a few things by check, but most of our bills we can do via on-line payments.

...and I use cash. It doesn't require identification :)

chazsgirl
02-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I have my # on my checks just so I don't have to bother with anything, I don't really write checks that much except for rent. In the area of work i do if you can give your address you can give your #. Nothing against you please don't take personally I deal with this everyday. Cashiers have things they have to do. I personally think a # is dumb what are they going to do call you untill you give them the $$. at least with your id # they can get you other ways.

tigger4
02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I have duplicates too, but there are ways around that. Put the receipt in your checkbook so you write it down later.

My purse is a black hole. I would never be able to find the receipt.

It takes me all of 2 seconds to write out the check. I am writing out while the cashier is ringing up my stuff. No offense if the cashier can't wait while I write my check and the people behind me can't either that is their problem not mine.

freeby4me
02-05-2008, 09:45 AM
My purse is a black hole. I would never be able to find the receipt.

It takes me all of 2 seconds to write out the check. I am writing out while the cashier is ringing up my stuff. No offense if the cashier can't wait while I write my check and the people behind me can't either that is their problem not mine.

Yea, I have no problem with people writing out checks, its when they stand there and put it into their register and then do the math to deduct the amount that I get severly pissy about. Do that on your own time!! LOL

tnfuhs
02-05-2008, 10:15 AM
When I was an office manager, I dealt with bounced checks, and our "big office" would receive them back, and just send them to me, which then I would have to deal with. We got the check back, and it pretty much saved a stamp with the phone number on the check, so we could just call and leave a message with the person, then after a week, if no return call back, then we'd mail out a letter. It's really not fair that the people bouncing the checks, ruin it for the ones that never has had a problem with a store.

kimp67
02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
At the store I work at, we have to write a photo id number & phone number on the check. If you don't give both of those we don't take your check.

kyswpgrl
02-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't have a check card -- it doesn't afford the same protection as credit cards if they are stolen and used.
I guess that would depend on who you bank with. I use a local credit union, but my debit card is a Visa and is protected the same as a credit card.

PrincessArky
02-06-2008, 06:05 AM
I guess that would depend on who you bank with. I use a local credit union, but my debit card is a Visa and is protected the same as a credit card.

same with ours

YankeeMary
02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Truthfully, if I were going to write a bad check, I wouldn't knowingly give them my correct phone number. I would make up one. So why is it such a huge deal for the stores to get it? KWIM?

tigger4
02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Yea, I have no problem with people writing out checks, its when they stand there and put it into their register and then do the math to deduct the amount that I get severly pissy about. Do that on your own time!! LOL

Balance your check book? You mean I am supposed to do that? :rofl: DH is forever on me about balancing the check book. I just forget to do that.

So, no I just write the check and go. No math or anything like that. And I have never had anyone get angry with me for doing it.

whatever
02-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Truthfully, if I were going to write a bad check, I wouldn't knowingly give them my correct phone number. I would make up one. So why is it such a huge deal for the stores to get it? KWIM?

You said it!! Thank you!

Oh and i'm with tigger4,I write the check as the cashier is ringing up the stuff so all i have to do is put in the balance. ANd i NEVER balance a book in the store. Heck that's what i have duplicates for!!
I only do it every so often. So its no different than those of you who use coupons are make people wait. Which i do that to. I'm just saying to the ones who made comments on having to wait on us writing checks. Plus using a cc, you still have to wait on the casheir to push her buttons to get it to go through. so it all takes the same amount of time. :)

kyswpgrl
02-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Um...no...it doesn't take the same amount of time. At least not at all stores. Like I said, Walmart runs the checks electronically now. So even if you sit there and fill it out, they have to print a receipt for you to sign, then turn around and print a receipt with all the items listed. All I do is hit a few buttons and get a receipt.

Urban Cowgirl
02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
They aren't entering your phone # information into a database of any kind, they simply want it on the check to be able to call you if the check bounces and it's returned to them. Personally if there is something I WON"T pu on a check unless asked for it's my DL#, I do not have my checks printed with that info on them or my phone #. Any place of buisness has absolutly NO CLUE if you have the funds in your account to cover the check you are writing to them. As far as not signing the backs of credit or debit cards this is a good idea but instead of leaving it blank you should write CHECK ID in that signature space. I worked at a bank for years and we suggested this to our customers who weren't comfotable with their signature on their cards.

You won't believe this, but I have always written please see ID on the back of my credit cards. Well the post office actually refused to take my credit card because they without a signature it wasn't valid!! What BS!

kelblend
02-06-2008, 10:28 PM

I still write checks although I make it out in line and only have to write in the amount. I use my debit card sometimes. If I forget to push credit instead of debit I always get charged. I also like to write down the amount at the time of purchase so that I don't forget to do it. That's just me. I also can't stand the people who wait till everything is rang up and bagged to open their purse and get whatever they are using to purchase their order with. lol

I write checks and use coupons at times as well. Shop on! lmao

kelblend
02-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Any place of business has absolutly NO CLUE if you have the funds in your account to cover the check you are writing to them.

In this day and age they do know if the money is there. Most companies process checks like debit cards and it takes the money at the time the check the check is presented.

My boss used to have us call the bank and ask if a customer had money in the bank if it was a low number. We kept telling her that was useless as that person could have just written any number of checks that hadn't cleared yet. I have some checks clear quickly and others have taken several days, so it does vary.