PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi bill would ban obese from eating out

DBackFan
02-01-2008, 11:23 PM
http://www.thatsfit.com/2008/02/01/mississippi-bill-would-ban-obese-from-eating-out/

Posted: Feb 1st 2008 3:23PM by Bethany Sanders
Filed under: Food and Nutrition, Health in the Media, Diet and Weight Loss, Obesity

Imagine heading out to dinner with your partner or family, only to be asked to step on a scale and then turned away because you're BMI is over 30. That's what eating out in Mississippi might be like if Representative W.T. Mayhall, Jr. gets his bill passed. The bill would require that people who are obese, as defined by the state, be banned from being served in restaurants. It would also require that restaurant owners keep records of customers BMIs.

According to Junkfood Science, Mayhall authored the bill in all seriousness, although he doesn't believe it will pass. Claiming the "need for government action" in response to the obesity crisis, Mayhall apparently believes that shame and embarrassment will help people take better care of their health.

I think this falls squarely in the "they can't be serious" category. What do you think?

LuvBigRip
02-01-2008, 11:42 PM
That is one of the most assinine things I have ever heard.

myspirit
02-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Let them try to keep my DH away from the buffet! LOL

lizmolik
02-02-2008, 01:37 AM
I heard there was going to be a law the people could not wear baggy clothes??? And now, you dont even have the freedom to eat??? What has this country came to???

freeby4me
02-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Another politician who's full of shit. Damn, just turn around and theres a thousand of them.

PrincessArky
02-02-2008, 08:19 AM
gosh sounds like something that Arkansas' ex governor would have come up with.........he lost weight now he thinks everyone has to

wobblypops
02-02-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm going to scream DISCRMINATION on behalf of all fat people but I also have a question........if the person is an illegal, obese citizen, what do you think would happen then? Oh the outrage.

WITH EVERY LAW THAT IS PASSED WE LOSE ONE MORE PIECE OF OUR FREEDOM.

Jolie Rouge
02-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Will not pass on Constitutional grounds ....

gmyers
02-02-2008, 12:29 PM
I doubt the restaurants would like it any more than the people. They would lose probably most of their customers. And as for the restaurants keeping lists of our body mass indexes and if they're high you can't eat. That reminds me of stores keeping lists of people who write bad checks. Thats outrageous.

freeby4me
02-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I doubt the restaurants would like it any more than the people. They would lose probably most of their customers. And as for the restaurants keeping lists of our body mass indexes and if they're high you can't eat. That reminds me of stores keeping lists of people who write bad checks. Thats outrageous.

Are you saying a store that stops someone from continusely writing bad checks is a bad thing?

gmyers
02-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Are you saying a store that stops someone from continusely writing bad checks is a bad thing?

No I was just making a comparison that they're treating people that are overweight like they've done something wrong and should be punished for it. People that write bad checks should be put on lists to prevent them from doing it again. But doing the same to someone just because they're overweight is like saying they've done something wrong. Thats what Iwas trying to say.

freeby4me
02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
No I was just making a comparison that they're treating people that are overweight like they've done something wrong and should be punished for it. People that write bad checks should be put on lists to prevent them from doing it again. But doing the same to someone just because they're overweight is like saying they've done something wrong. Thats what Iwas trying to say.

Ohhh ok LOL I think I was having one of my duh moments earlier. Usually I get something like that LOL

Shann
02-02-2008, 07:24 PM
this is ridiculous, so that means that I would be turned away from a restaurant, I wear a size 12 right now but my BMI is around that... ok, just checked I'm a little under, but what if I'm wearing heavy clothing and shoes. This is just stupid, but I agree, it's not going to pass (thankfully)

gravittr
02-02-2008, 07:30 PM
so are the just giving the skinny poeple a chance to get fat. do u know how upset my kids would be if we got turned away because im fat. or they actually turn the child away themself for being a little over. i have lost 51 pounds but would still love to be a 12

hblueeyes
02-03-2008, 03:11 AM
If that is the case then the government should make sure healthy foods cost less than junk food.I can buy a bag of chips for 89 cents a bag yet grapes are 2.99 a pound. Are they also going to increase wages so families can live on 1 income so Mom or Dad can stay home and take the time to make fresh foods for meals. Are they also going to do DNA testing to see who has the genetic marker(s) for obesity and give them a waiver.

Also..... because a person is large does not make them unhealthy. I know plenty of skinny people who can hardly do anything, shovel snow, dig a trench, run I am over 100 pounds overweight and am very flexible and active. My cholesterol is great, LDL is high, HDL is low, my blood pressure is perfect as are my triglycerides. My bulging disc and joints would be better if I lost weight. I'd look and feel better too. But I always look fat. Even when I was a size 6, I looked heavy. Heavy does not equal unhealthy. Hubby is in great shape yet his blood pressure is high even with meds, his cholesterol is through the roof but it is genetic. He should be banned from McDonalds.

Me

kyswpgrl
02-03-2008, 11:20 AM
That's insane and I pray nothing like that ever passes. Would they do away with drive thrus and carry out???

JKATHERINE
02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
It'll never pass. That's just crazy. Most restaurants offer some healthy options in additon to their "unhealthier" options, so even obese people (myself included) can still eat right when eating out. What an ass!

gmyers
02-03-2008, 02:28 PM
It'll never pass because they would have lawsuits for discrimination. Yoiu're not supposed to be able to discriminate because if someones weight. I bet the lawyers hope they pass it though. The restauramnts would lose too much business if they did and they wouldn;t like that. Its just some a-hole trying to push what they think everybody should be like on others,.

dv8grl
02-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Yoiu're not supposed to be able to discriminate because if someones weight.
... but its OK to discriminate against people who smoke.

sorry, had to play devils advocate :evil:

gmyers
02-03-2008, 03:03 PM

I sgree with you one hundred percent. I think its wrong too.

chazsgirl
02-03-2008, 04:32 PM
that is insane, how dare should that person or anyone else think they should judge or deny a person who is over weight to enter an establishment, I certainly don't think 30 pounds over your BMI is being obese either! This is shit and should be thrown out the down and that bastard should be tossed out on his head!

chazsgirl
02-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I sgree with you one hundred percent. I think its wrong too.

smoking is something you can control, it is alittle harder to control your weight. (just my opinion)
to smoke is a choice you can stop at anytime, smoking around me can harm my life and others but my ass hanging off the little chair at a resturant is not harming anyone except the chair!

kyswpgrl
02-03-2008, 05:38 PM

Obese people are not harming others by overeating. Secondhand smoke is PROVEN to harm others.

ahippiechic
02-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Some of you guys would shit if I posted that overeating is something you can control. For me, controling what I eat and my weight is much easier to control than smoking.

About smoking harming others, not just yourself, is true tho.

gmyers
02-03-2008, 05:56 PM
smoking is something you can control, it is alittle harder to control your weight. (just my opinion)
to smoke is a choice you can stop at anytime, smoking around me can harm my life and others but my ass hanging off the little chair at a resturant is not harming anyone except the chair!

I've watched my husband try to quit smoking over and over. He's got COPD and emphysema and he still can't seem to quit. He's smoked for 46 years. I don't think its as easy as people think it is. I've seen him hardly able to breathe and still want a cigarette. I really believe they are very addictive. When you can't get enough breath to talk but you still want cigarettes they have to be addictive theres no other way to explain it.

candygirl
02-03-2008, 06:25 PM
If you' a fat ass ,then you have a problem,if not then the bill won't affect you.

*** It's not a pretty site to see a fat ass at the buffet line ***

freeby4me
02-03-2008, 06:29 PM
If you' a fat ass ,then you have a problem,if not then the bill won't affect you.

Umm yea thats real intelligent.

IthinkNOT!
02-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Well, you need to fill me in on where you are, so I can make sure that my "fat ass" ain't ahead of you in the buffet line!

freeby4me
02-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Well, you need to fill me in on where you are, so I can make sure that my "fat ass" ain't ahead of you in the buffet line!

Screw that, we'll just eat all we want then sit on her LOL

lizmolik
02-03-2008, 06:42 PM
If that is the case then the government should make sure healthy foods cost less than junk food.I can buy a bag of chips for 89 cents a bag yet grapes are 2.99 a pound.

That is a lot of my diet problem...I cant afford all of the diet food...I love fruits and veggies, but it is so pricey to get the amount you need to lose weight! It is crazy!

gmyers
02-03-2008, 06:52 PM
That is a lot of my diet problem...I cant afford all of the diet food...I love fruits and veggies, but it is so pricey to get the amount you need to lose weight! It is crazy!

I hear you. Tomatoes are almost $3 a pound, lettuce is $1.63 a head, peppers are 78 cents each, grapes are $2.99 a pound, apples and oranges are over $6 a bag, cantelopes are $2, watermelons are almost $6,celery is almost $2 a bunch. all fruits and vegetables are sky high here at walmart.

ahippiechic
02-03-2008, 07:14 PM

The 80 lbs, hollow-cheeked, dark circle under the eye look doesn't do a lot for my appetite either.

okie
02-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Some of you guys would shit if I posted that overeating is something you can control. For me, controling what I eat and my weight is much easier to control than smoking.

Same here, I have lost all kinds of weight but damn if I can't put a cigarette down for good.

The 80 lbs, hollow-cheeked, dark circle under the eye look doesn't do a lot of my appetite either.

How about a 60 yr. old woman that is 80 lbs. in clothes that a teenager would wear. This is my MIL. Her job actually told her to start wearing clothes to work a few years ago.

dv8grl
02-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Obese people are not harming others by overeating. Secondhand smoke is PROVEN to harm others.
I agree., but its hard to look at people who are trying to kill themselves, either it be by smoking, or hitting the buffet WAAAAYYYYY TOOOOO MMMAAAANNNNYYYYYY TTTTIIIMMMMEEESSSSS!!!!!!

Smokers aren't in denial that they are killing themselves, but I think "obese" people think its perfectly "fine" to gorge themselves on HORRIBLE food.

ilovecats
02-03-2008, 09:15 PM

:clapping :clapping :clapping True here.I can put down the twinkie,I am addicted to cigs.nicotene is physically addictive.Food is not quite the same thing.

Qtxann315
02-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I think that the bill is a little too much, to be banned from the restaurant. There's always loop holes on getting the food on way or another. I also think that it's so unhealthy for people to be overweight because it can cause so much health problems, just like smoking. You are asking yourself to have diabetes, shorten lifespan, heart attack, etc. I think everyone can control the amount they eat, just a matter of will power. It's not impossible, it's something that can control but don't want to.

gmyers
02-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I agree., but its hard to look at people who are trying to kill themselves, either it be by smoking, or hitting the buffet WAAAAYYYYY TOOOOO MMMAAAANNNNYYYYYY TTTTIIIMMMMEEESSSSS!!!!!!

Smokers aren't in denial that they are killing themselves, but I think "obese" people think its perfectly "fine" to gorge themselves on HORRIBLE food.

No you're wrong the food that we gorge on has to taste good. :laugh: Just kidding.

IthinkNOT!
02-04-2008, 03:29 AM
Screw that, we'll just eat all we want then sit on her LOL
That sounds like a plan!

Shann
02-04-2008, 04:02 AM

LMFAO!

I could care less if there is an obese person in front of me in line just as long as they don't take a huge scoop of the last of what I really want. :) Or the last piece of Margarita pizza..mmmm that's my fave

jayhawkfan
02-04-2008, 07:16 AM
I think that the bill is a little too much, to be banned from the restaurant. There's always loop holes on getting the food on way or another. I also think that it's so unhealthy for people to be overweight because it can cause so much health problems, just like smoking. You are asking yourself to have diabetes, shorten lifespan, heart attack, etc. I think everyone can control the amount they eat, just a matter of will power. It's not impossible, it's something that can control but don't want to.

I dont think that ALL obese people CHOOSE to be fat. Yes there are the people that eat and eat and eat and dont exercise. But there are proven medical conditions that also can contribute to excessive weight gain. I think the bill is way over the line and will never pass.

Qtxann315
02-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't think people CHOOSE to be fat also, I don't think anyone would want to be that way. I know there are medical conditions that contribute to excessive weight gain but how much weight can you really gain from this "medical condtion"? I'm just saying it isn't impossible to lose weight, either with medical help or just having the will power to say no to food once in a while.

gmyers
02-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I heard on CNN that the reason Mississippi is trying to pass it is they are the number one city for having obese people.

PrincessArky
02-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I heard on CNN that the reason Mississippi is trying to pass it is they are the number one city for having obese people.

thats odd last week I heard Chicago was the most obese city...think that was on the Biggest Loser though so I guess they arent really new ppl lol

Jolie Rouge
02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
the last piece of Margarita pizza..mmmm that's my fave

Sounds interesting - what is it ?

I heard on CNN that the reason Mississippi is trying to pass it is they are the number one city for having obese people

Just to tease you a bit : Mississppi is a state not a city. Maybe Chicago is the #1 city and MS is the #1 state ?

PrincessArky
02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Just to tease you a bit : Mississppi is a state not a city. Maybe Chicago is the #1 city and MS is the #1 state ?

now see I was being nice lol

gmyers
02-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Sounds interesting - what is it ?

I can't believe I called Mississippi a city. Sorry about that I'd have caught it if I had reread what I wrote. I do know its a state believe me.:laugh:

Jolie Rouge
02-04-2008, 01:33 PM
It is a "state of mind" ... LOL