PDA

View Full Version : Shop pulls "Lolita" bed for six-year-old girls

Jolie Rouge
02-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Shop pulls "Lolita" bed for six-year-old girls
Fri Feb 1, 2:01 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A chain of retail stores in Britain has withdrawn the sale of beds named Lolita and designed for six-year-old girls after furious parents pointed out that the name was synonymous with sexually active pre-teens.

Woolworths said staff who administer the web site selling the beds were not aware of the connection.

In "Lolita," a 1955 novel by Vladimir Nabokov, the narrator becomes sexually involved with his 12-year-old stepdaughter -- but Woolworths staff had not heard of the classic novel or two subsequent films based on it.

Hence they saw nothing wrong with advertising the Lolita Midsleeper Combi, a whitewashed wooden bed with pull-out desk and cupboard intended for girls aged about six until a concerned mother raised the alarm on a parenting website.

"What seems to have happened is the staff who run the website had never heard of Lolita, and to be honest no one else here had either," a spokesman told British newspapers. "We had to look it up on (online encyclopedia) Wikipedia. But we certainly know who she is now."

Woolworths said the product had now been dropped.

"Now this has been brought to our attention, the product has been removed from sale with immediate effect," the chain said. "We will be talking to the supplier with regard to how the branding came about."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080201/od_nm/woolworths_lolita1_dc;_ylt=Am_r6f5KmxvHYwMqGbnxotI uQE4F

...the staff who run the website had never heard of Lolita, and to be honest no one else here had either," a spokesman told British newspapers. "We had to look it up on (online encyclopedia) Wikipedia. But we certainly know who she is now.

I am over 40 and an English Major so I find that hard to believe ...

Am I unrealistic ?

freeby4me
02-02-2008, 06:19 AM
Nope, never heard of it. I have however heard the name when people are talking about *something* so I just assumed it was something bad.

However, I really see no need in pulling or changing the name. They're nothing to do with each other. Its a coincidence that the name is that, so why not keep the name and try to get people to think of something other than that when they hear the name.

jayhawkfan
02-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Ive never heard of it either. I really think its just another case of society over sexualizing everything. Its a name. Would they have done the same thing if the bed was named Prudence or Chastity?

ahippiechic
02-02-2008, 09:29 AM
I've seen the beds named that and wondered why they would name a child's bed that, but not a great big deal.

mosdata1
02-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I have a hard time believing that no one associated with the bed had never heard of the book "Lolita". Maybe 1 or 2 people - but no one.

kyswpgrl
02-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I've never read the book or watched the movies, but had heard of it. This took place overseas, so it's quite possible they hadn't. I see no reason to pull the furniture, but renaming it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Jolie Rouge
02-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Ive never heard of it either. I really think its just another case of society over sexualizing everything. Its a name. Would they have done the same thing if the bed was named Prudence or Chastity?

Should we name a bed for little boys the "Don Juan", the "Cassanova", or the "Dahmer" ?

Marketing is all about IMAGE and the image of a little girl being molested by her stepfather is not a positive one for a bed designed and marketed for a six year old child.

jayhawkfan
02-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Yeah its about image, but what CHILD knows what Lolita stands for? If its a cute bed its a cute bed to a 6 year old. I have absolutely no idea what the beds we bought for our kids were named. I thought they were adorable and I bought them. It makes no real difference to me.

Jolie Rouge
02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah its about image, but what CHILD knows what Lolita stands for? If its a cute bed its a cute bed to a 6 year old. I have absolutely no idea what the beds we bought for our kids were named. I thought they were adorable and I bought them. It makes no real difference to me.

It isn't the child who PAYS for the bed ... it is the parents. If they are undecieded between two - the name might make the difference. They will most likely just redo the packaging and reissue the furniture under another name.

freeby4me
02-04-2008, 01:08 PM
It isn't the child who PAYS for the bed ... it is the parents. If they are undecieded between two - the name might make the difference. They will most likely just redo the packaging and reissue the furniture under another name.

Which is A-OK.

Jolie Rouge
02-04-2008, 01:22 PM
It would have been cheaper to just ship the empty boxes - renamed and all - to the furniture stores; have them switch boxes and put it back on the sales floor.

freeby4me
02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
It would have been cheaper to just ship the empty boxes - renamed and all - to the furniture stores; have them switch boxes and put it back on the sales floor.

But, they may have stickers or something right on the beds with the names. But if not, that is a good idea.

Jolie Rouge
02-04-2008, 02:19 PM
True - been a LONG time since I have purchased furniture. Seems that it would be cheaper to send out the boxes, stickers and such to each store and have them repacked on site then the expense to ship, unpack, uncrate, rename, repack, and reship back to the stores.

freeby4me
02-04-2008, 02:31 PM
True - been a LONG time since I have purchased furniture. Seems that it would be cheaper to send out the boxes, stickers and such to each store and have them repacked on site then the expense to ship, unpack, uncrate, rename, repack, and reship back to the stores.

LOL remember the warning tags on mattresses, Do Not Remove under penalty of Prison or something like that LOL I always laugh at things like that.