PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help(Regarding Doctor)

okie
02-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I went in today for my 5 week post op appointment and I was told that the doctor no longer sees patients if they have kids with them. They said that the policy wasn't new and that the nurse wasn't enforcing the policy. She got fired. I have been seeing this doctor for two years and this has never been a problem. I have always had my daughter with me and the doctor never said anything. My husband doesn't get off work until after the office is closed and there isn't anyone else to watch her, everyone in my family works lol. So I wasn't seen today. I just had a major surgery(hysterectomy) and haven't had my internal exam yet. The only thing I can think to do is see if I can find another doctor.

Beso
02-01-2008, 09:10 AM
It is not uncommon to do that. But it just depends on the office. Usually if you have a older child its not a big deal. Me, personally I would look for a new office. Or try to explain that you have noone your child can stay with, and you will try somehow to make arangments the next visit. If they won't help ya out, start looking.

okie
02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
When I was at the doctors office today, I told them that I had no one to watch her. The doctor wasn't there this morning when I got there. So I called back a little bit ago and he is supposed to call me back. I called my old doctor that I went to before we moved but she is out of the office today. The receptionist I spoke with at her office said that was messed up and she would talk to the doctor when she gets in on Monday. The receptionist did say that I did need to see someone especially if he hasn't even done an exam yet.

Beso
02-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Well thats one messed up office. I agree you do need to be seen, see if your other dr can do it monday. Hey, did the office have a sign saying no children are allowed to be present or did you sign anything that said that? You could always use that if you want to be seen by that dr.

Good luck!

YankeeMary
02-01-2008, 10:51 AM
To heck with him. If he doesn't want to see you because of your child, then I would have to believe he isn't a caring person anyways and who wants a noncaring doc? Give your money to someone better than what he is. Good luck.

Bliss
02-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Okie is he the surgeon? I'm thinking if he is you won't be able to see another doctor for your post op. I know when I was having complications before my post op appointment after my hysterectomy my family doctor refused to see me. She told me I had to see my gyno, she's the one who done the surgery.

Good luck, hopefully you'll be seen.

BeanieLuvR
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I have never heard of such a thing. I feel the same way YankeeMary does about it. I hope that you can get your other doctor to see you. Good luck!

Njean31
02-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Okie is he the surgeon? I'm thinking if he is you won't be able to see another doctor for your post op. I know when I was having complications before my post op appointment after my hysterectomy my family doctor refused to see me. She told me I had to see my gyno, she's the one who done the surgery.

Good luck, hopefully you'll be seen.

yes, that's true. most dr's will not do post op for another surgeon's work. it's a big no no in their field. op, when did you have it done? i had mine done on 1/18. it was done vaginally and they left the ovaries. i'm supposed to have my first post op on 2/11.

okie
02-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Well thats one messed up office. I agree you do need to be seen, see if your other dr can do it monday. Hey, did the office have a sign saying no children are allowed to be present or did you sign anything that said that? You could always use that if you want to be seen by that dr.

My doctor did not call me back today. His nurse did though to reschedule my appointment. I had already talked to my hubby about it and he told me to schedule something and he would take some time off work so I could go. This is my last appointment with him and then I am going to see my old doctor. The only reason I quit seeing her is because I moved and wanted to find something closer but she is only 20 minutes away. Her nurse called me back. The doctor(old one) is off today so the nurse called her and told her what was going on. She said to try and get him to see me but if he doesn't call back and she would fit me in because I need to be seen. She said that she had no problems seeing me if he didn't. The only thing is that my post op is included in the surgery so there might be a mess with the insurance. There is a sign about kids but they weren't enforcing it. I even asked a long time ago when I made my first appointment if bringing my daughter would be a problem. I also gave her age and I was told that it would not be a problem. No one ever said anything until today.

Okie is he the surgeon?

He's the one that did it.

op, when did you have it done? i had mine done on 1/18. it was done vaginally and they left the ovaries. i'm supposed to have my first post op on 2/11.

Mine was an abdominal but he went through my c-section scar. I had it done on 12/26. The day after Christmas lol! I had an enlarged uterus and both my kids were delivered by c-section so a vaginal one wasn't possible. Plus I had some scar tissue that needed fixing and the abdominal procedure gave him more room to work. He's actually a good doctor and this really shocked me. I know the signs were up but no one ever said anything.They never even acted like this was an issue. The doctor and all the staff always played with the kids that came in so I don't get it.

pepperpot
02-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I would have insisted on being seen today since that was your appointment, and the child issue had not been addressed with you when they accepted your appt and you are a patient in need :mad:. *I've been known to be insistent at times :paranoid* I'd explain that it wasn't enforced prior but now you know for 'next time'....they would've had to drag me out...;)

MOF they tried that with me when my daughter was 2yo, they said I couldn't bring the stroller (it was small) into the exam area. I told them they were out of their mind if they thought it would be better to turn a 2yo loose to wander around.....I was accomodated. ;)

ilovecats
02-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I have never heard of such a thing. I feel the same way YankeeMary does about it. I hope that you can get your other doctor to see you. Good luck!

I agree,I have been taking children with me to doctors for 19 yrs.I have never heard of such A thing.
Pepperpot,that is outragious!Did they really expect you to leave your 2 yr old in the waiting room?

pepperpot
02-01-2008, 07:49 PM
I agree,I have been taking children with me to doctors for 19 yrs.I have never heard of such A thing.
Pepperpot,that is outragious!Did they really expect you to leave your 2 yr old in the waiting room?

It was the eye doctor for my children...ages...9,7 & 5 (at the time)....they had the appointments. They didn't want the carriage (umbrella type) in the exam area. Would they rather she run around and be disruptive? I wasn't going to leave any of the children in the exam room or waiting area without me to watch her. I was ready to walk out, but they saw 3 'exams' (fully insured) about to walk out that door. Ka-ching, ka-ching....
I've since changed eye docs....:)

okie
02-01-2008, 08:17 PM
It was the eye doctor for my children...ages...9,7 & 5 (at the time)....they had the appointments. They didn't want the carriage (umbrella type) in the exam area. Would they rather she run around and be disruptive? I wasn't going to leave any of the children in the exam room or waiting area without me to watch her. I was ready to walk out, but they saw 3 'exams' (fully insured) about to walk out that door. Ka-ching, ka-ching....
I've since changed eye docs....:)

I sat there arguing with them and was getting no where. He wasn't even there yet. Or he would have heard from me. He couldn't even be bothered to return my phone call. He'll hear about it on Monday just as soon as he does my exam.Hope I can bite my tongue that long!Hubby told me to just get the exam over before I go off on him. The staff weren't the ones that I really needed to go off on and I know they were only trying to protect their jobs. The nurse that is left told me that if she let me back there she would loose her job. My daughter is two and is always in an umbrella stroller when I take her. She always has something with her to keep her occupied.

pepperpot
02-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I sat there arguing with them and was getting no where. He wasn't even there yet. Or he would have heard from me. He couldn't even be bothered to return my phone call. He'll hear about it on Monday just as soon as he does my exam.Hope I can bite my tongue that long!Hubby told me to just get the exam over before I go off on him. The staff weren't the ones that I really needed to go off on and I know they were only trying to protect their jobs. The nurse that is left told me that if she let me back there she would loose her job. My daughter is two and is always in an umbrella stroller when I take her. She always has something with her to keep her occupied.

I would've waited for the Dr. to show up (was he late?) Dr.'s do not like to do their dirty work! :paranoid *that's what they have staff for* :agree If you had confronted him I'm sure he would've made the exception for you and not make you have to come back.

okie
02-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I would've waited for the Dr. to show up (was he late?) Dr.'s do not like to do their dirty work! :paranoid *that's what they have staff for* :agree If you had confronted him I'm sure he would've made the exception for you and not make you have to come back.

I think that if I hadn't been so shocked I would have.

Eyore
02-01-2008, 10:36 PM
I've heard of that before, no children allowed in a doctors office. Shortly after I moved up here to PA in 1983. I had to go to a Gyn, he did not do OB and children were not allowed in his office. There was a sign stating that in the waiting room. He was good and I had someone to watch my kids, thankfully.
Must be a GYN's that have a problem with kids in there office.

okie
02-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I've heard of that before, no children allowed in a doctors office. Shortly after I moved up here to PA in 1983. I had to go to a Gyn, he did not do OB and children were not allowed in his office. There was a sign stating that in the waiting room. He was good and I had someone to watch my kids, thankfully.

My doctor is an OB/GYN doctor. I have never had any doctor tell me that I cannot bring my kids with me. Maybe it's a southern thing because most doctors around here don't care if you bring your kids. This is the only time that I have ever encountered this problem.

wobblypops
02-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Now wait, let me get this right.....an OB/GYN who doesn't want to be around a child? I would refuse to be seen by him again & just go back to your old doctor. Call your Ins. company up & explain to them what is happening & let them handle getting their payment back from that office so it can be paid to the doctor who does the check up.

There is no reason why your husband should have to take off work for this & lost money.

Eyore
02-02-2008, 09:35 AM
My doctor is an OB/GYN doctor. I have never had any doctor tell me that I cannot bring my kids with me. Maybe it's a southern thing because most doctors around here don't care if you bring your kids. This is the only time that I have ever encountered this problem.

PA isn't in the south so I would think it is more the doctor themselves that don't want kids around.
But he is the only doctor I have seen do this, and I thought it was strange.
He is retired now and I don't know if I would have kept seeing him or not. He was about 40 minutes or more away from me.
I would go back to your old doctor after this. Hope all goes well with your exam.

onfire4god57
02-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Wow, I can't believe that you are all getting so upset with ob/gyn doctors not wanting children in their offices. It has nothing to do with not liking children. Maybe it's because they are not comfortable with little kids seeing the private parts of their mothers.

I personally think that it is a very smart and wise decision, I don't feel that little kids need to be exposed to those types of examinations. Look at it this way, How would you mothers feel if your husbands needed to take your children with him to the Proctologist. How would you feel if your daughters at age 2, 3, 4, 5, etc watched while daddy's private parts were exposed? It's the same thing as having your son's in the room while your exam is taking place. And even little girls might think that the doctor is hurting you.

I just think strongly that there are some things children do not need to be exposed to.

okie
02-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Wow, I can't believe that you are all getting so upset with ob/gyn doctors not wanting children in their offices. It has nothing to do with not liking children. Maybe it's because they are not comfortable with little kids seeing the private parts of their mothers.

I personally think that it is a very smart and wise decision, I don't feel that little kids need to be exposed to those types of examinations. Look at it this way, How would you mothers feel if your husbands needed to take your children with him to the Proctologist. How would you feel if your daughters at age 2, 3, 4, 5, etc watched while daddy's private parts were exposed? It's the same thing as having your son's in the room while your exam is taking place. And even little girls might think that the doctor is hurting you.

I just think strongly that there are some things children do not need to be exposed to.

At every one of my appointments that involved an exam the nurse covered me so that my daughter could not see me. I never said that I took my son in the room with me. If he ever came, which he hasn't since 4 yrs. old, someone in the office let him sit in the desk area with them. For the record, I am so pissed because I was not given any warning that they weren't going to let her back there. The canceled my appointment without any warning and I am a post op patient. According to my state licensing board and the nurse at the other doctor's office they can not do that. He has an obligation to finish my care to the end.

speedygirl
02-04-2008, 12:38 AM
My doctor's office has this policy stated on their handout with the following information:

XXXX OB/GYN's children policy has been developed for the safety of your children, as well as to provide optimal care for you. We strongly recommend that you try to schedule your appointments when you have child care or another adult to to watch your children in the waiting room so that we can address your medical issues without distraction. A children's play area is available in our waiting area and must have adult supervision at all times. We ask that you do not bring your children into the exam area unless they are young enough to be in an infant carrier. Please do not allow your children to open drawers or trash containers in the exam rooms as equipment is expensive and biohazard is dangerous.

I do understand this. If the doctor has something important to discuss with you even at a post op it is imperative that you are able to give 100% attention and vice versa. I'm pretty fortunate in the fact that I can usually have a friend come along or get a sitter. There concerns aren't usually anyhting to do with anyone seeing your parts but more of a safety issue.
Having said that, if they have had a policy change at your office, it is their responsibility to get that information out to you. That's unacceptable and should have had someone available to help you out.
Okie, you're right they are required to carry out complete medical care until resolution. By cancelling your appointment that doesn't break the laws. They have to flat out fire you as a patient.
I am currently in this line of work so I am familiar with both sides of the issue. I hope you get your appointment soon and are feeling well. :)

PrincessArky
02-04-2008, 05:31 AM
wow guess I got lucky my dr doesnt have any sort of problem with it which is good because I too have nobody to watch my kids either

okie
02-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I have an appointment today at 3pm will post when I get back. My hubby had to take off early and they are having inspections today. So I am sure his boss isn't too thrilled about it.

pepperpot
02-04-2008, 08:45 AM

When I was pregnant with my 2nd or 3rd (probably the third).....I always brought my kids with me (limited babysitters). They were always seated by my head and never saw any 'private parts', etc. They had books and crayons with them.

There was one visit where a woman in the waiting room was visibly upset. Later on I found out talking to the nurse, that I had 'upset' her. She either couldn't conceive or just lost a baby and her seeing me pregnant with the other young children was just too emotionally overwhelming for her.

So perhaps, with strictly being a GYN (no OB), that rule may be in place for those patients who have 'difficulties' being around children.

When a dear friend of mind went through years of trying to conceive, it was very hard for her to be around pregnant people and young children. *she's since had 2 boys*

And, I can definitely see the health issues/safety concern for children being around medical waste and tools. :shrug

PrincessArky
02-04-2008, 09:33 AM
I have an appointment today at 3pm will post when I get back. My hubby had to take off early and they are having inspections today. So I am sure his boss isn't too thrilled about it.

I hope all goes well at your check up........dont forget to ask the dr if he will be happy to forward your medical file to your "new" (previous) dr since you have a hard time coming in because you dont have a sitter

okie
02-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I went to my appointment today. The doctor did my exam and we discussed some health stuff. Then I asked him about Friday. He said that they should have explained some stuff to me better but maybe they weren't sure if they should or not. Something happened last week with a patient's child. Let me go back a minute. This same day he lost a baby, I'm guessing during childbirth. He couldn't go into details too much because of the confidential laws but he said that after loosing the baby he went to the office and that same day, a child got caught in the bed. The beds are the type that sit up like a chair and have stirups and then lay down like a bed. Anyway, during the woman's exam the child was around the bed and they got caught in it. It really freaked him out, I imagine it would. So between the child and the baby he closed the office the day this happened. He said that he would be too nervous with kids in the room now. So he is going back to the policy. I told him that I realized that the staff probably couldn't say anything but they could have handled the situation a little better. I told him that they were quite rude about the whole thing. My doctor is older and I felt bad for him. At one point he looked like he was about to start crying and turned his head. I told him that I understood better now why he made that decision and I would just have to figure out something with my daughter until she starts school. I felt alot better after talking to him. He really is good doctor and I was having a hard time with the whole thing because the way the staff acted was like he was just changing things for the hell of it. He told me it wasn't something that he wanted to do because alot of us have kids but he couldn't avoid it anymore.

PrincessArky
02-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I went to my appointment today. The doctor did my exam and we discussed some health stuff. Then I asked him about Friday. He said that they should have explained some stuff to me better but maybe they weren't sure if they should or not. Something happened last week with a patient's child. Let me go back a minute. This same day he lost a baby, I'm guessing during childbirth. He couldn't go into details too much because of the confidential laws but he said that after loosing the baby he went to the office and that same day, a child got caught in the bed. The beds are the type that sit up like a chair and have stirups and then lay down like a bed. Anyway, during the woman's exam the child was around the bed and they got caught in it. It really freaked him out, I imagine it would. So between the child and the baby he closed the office the day this happened. He said that he would be too nervous with kids in the room now. So he is going back to the policy. I told him that I realized that the staff probably couldn't say anything but they could have handled the situation a little better. I told him that they were quite rude about the whole thing. My doctor is older and I felt bad for him. At one point he looked like he was about to start crying and turned his head. I told him that I understood better now why he made that decision and I would just have to figure out something with my daughter until she starts school. I felt alot better after talking to him. He really is good doctor and I was having a hard time with the whole thing because the way the staff acted was like he was just changing things for the hell of it. He told me it wasn't something that he wanted to do because alot of us have kids but he couldn't avoid it anymore.

well now that explains alot doesnt it........at least that got cleared up and I hope the kid that got hurt wasnt hurt badly

okie
02-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I asked him about the child and he said that they were okay.

kelblend
02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
All those nurse had to say is that there had been some mishaps in the exam areas with some children. Even though, they know not all children will have an accident, they have decided to not allow any in there anymore.

The receptionist could have done a much better job. Hell, she knew someone would more than likely show up with a kid not realizing the policy had been reinforced. She could have taken time to find a kind way to explain things. I don't know if they had time, but they could have sent out mailers to avoid at least a few of these incidences. But then again, they probably wouldn't have explained it right and more people would be ticked.

Sorry you had to go through all that.

okie
02-04-2008, 11:39 PM
All those nurse had to say is that there had been some mishaps in the exam areas with some children. Even though, they know not all children will have an accident, they have decided to not allow any in there anymore.

The receptionist could have done a much better job. Hell, she knew someone would more than likely show up with a kid not realizing the policy had been reinforced. She could have taken time to find a kind way to explain things. I don't know if they had time, but they could have sent out mailers to avoid at least a few of these incidences. But then again, they probably wouldn't have explained it right and more people would be ticked.

Sorry you had to go through all that.

From the way he talked it just happened. They do reminder calls so I don't know why they wouldn't tell people then. I was the only one in the waiting room at the time. I think I was the only patient there because the doctor wasn't there yet and this was early in the morning still. They seemed to have enough time to argue with me. All they kept saying was that it is a liability thing.

kelblend
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
They could have been just a little more forthcoming rather than act like they did. There are ways they could have made it clear to you without being rude. I just don't know why people don't take a moment to think about how they are being perceived.

I'm glad it's sorted out for you now.