PDA

View Full Version : My HORROR story!

whatever
01-24-2008, 06:11 PM
We have the starts of MOLD! We closed off our upstairs for the winter. Like we always do. Well this winter has been a wierd one. And my dh sealed up our overhangs over the summer, IE closing up any holes etc. Anyway no there is no air movement. And we went up there a couple weeks ago and the corners were damp (condensation) We knew that wasn't good! We went up a few days ago and sure enough a few small spots of mold are appearing. Luckily its still frozen up there. but we will have to gut it! :( this is going to cost. I'm hoping insurance will cover it. but of course we have to meet DED. first even if it does. I said we are using mold and mildew sheetrock from here on out!!! I'm not taking my chances with this again!!! Plus we will have to vent the overhangs, ripping out all the new stuff we just put in!! It is just making me sick! We are just hoping it did not get into the second room. We it closed off from the first. But it had a little in one corner also, condesation I mean. We have not checked it for mold. We are keeping it closed for now.

freeby4me
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Oh no, that sounds just awful! I sure hope your insurance will cover this for you!!

christianw27
01-24-2008, 07:05 PM
go to wal mart and get you some damp rid hang bags. its in the aisle by the drano and stuff. It works wonders....

Memedav
01-25-2008, 05:39 AM
I would recommend doing what christianw says also. We use to have a problem with one room in our old house and purchased something (can't remember the name!) at a grocery store. It was in a can and it absorbs the moisture in the room, so it's probably the same thing or similar to what was mentioned above. You don't have to do anything with it, just set it out. Also you may want to get spray bottles of bleach water and spray the mold and maybe that will keep it from getting worse? Sorry this is going on, hope it ends up not quite as bad as your expecting!

whatever
01-25-2008, 09:30 AM
go to wal mart and get you some damp rid hang bags. its in the aisle by the drano and stuff. It works wonders....

I will get those, but sadly we do have to gut the room. We stapled plastic to the walls (studs) to keep more air from coming in. That is what iowans do.
ANd a contracter told us we over did it. It just took years for all this to show up. I guess this is what our rebate check will be going for! :(

Oh and thanks so much for advice!!! :)

DBackFan
01-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Oh my...mold is a scary thing..if its that bad I would remove all the molded wood also. We have a guest house behind our home (son lives in it) and we had to rip out all the walls in the bathroom because black mold was in the walss themselves..gross. Good luck to you!

whatever
01-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh my...mold is a scary thing..if its that bad I would remove all the molded wood also. We have a guest house behind our home (son lives in it) and we had to rip out all the walls in the bathroom because black mold was in the walss themselves..gross. Good luck to you!

I don't think it is in the wood. Just starting in the sheetrock, and probably the insulation. Its mostly in the corners towart the ceiling. Just little patches. And the door to go into the other room is hard to open because of all of the moisture content its swelled up. I just want to get it taken care of!! I do NOT want it spreading to any other part of my house!!! thus the mold and mildew sheetrock we are going to buy. We don't need to but i figure i don't want to have to ever worry about this again!!!!

tracyb
01-26-2008, 02:59 PM
if you keep doing this every yr I would invest in a dehumidifier and keep it running all winter til you open the upstairs up again....we have to have one for the propane heat or everything gets moldy that is against the walls.