PDA

View Full Version : OUTRAGEOUS shipping costs on ebay

iluvmybaby
01-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I am SO tired of getting @$$ raped for shipping costs on ebay, on amazon the average shipping costs are $3 or so per item, on ebay the cheapest shipping I have ever seen is $5.99 up to $30 for shipping. They get away with it by saying
this

Shipping costs:
US XXXXX
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Service to United States
(more services)

This pisses me off bigtime. I know you are saying, then don't shop ebay. I live in a tiny one horse town, my nearest major outlet is an hour, Walmart, is a half hour away and is a crappy one, the shelves are always bare and they never have any sale items. I have always shopped online, either at major websites for the store itself, or ebay or amazon. I understand postage is expensive, it is going up a nickle here and a quarter day, but they are really stating that as a way to recoop the sellers fee.

For example, I was going to buy a webcam, it is a 5.0 USB Clip On Web camera that is SUPER lite even with the packaging, and they want $10.99 shipping, that isn't with delivery conformation or insurance, regular way. Now you and I know, it would cost $4 to mail it if that is all that we did, and when you ship through paypal you even seem to get a discount.

To top it off, as if it wasn't bad enough, some sellers don't combine shipping and ALL of the items from the seller is $10.99. I can buy the same item from another country $7 but then it takes weeks to get here drop shipped from Hong Kong.

All I have to say is I wish that ppl would just be fair, I don't except to get anything for free, but be reasonable for Christs sake. If you don't want to pay the $$$ for selling on ebay, then DON'T, stop taking it out on sellers

OK, I have said my piece, back to looking somewhere else.

kyswpgrl
01-23-2008, 09:50 PM
You're preaching to the choir. I can't count how many times I've seen posts regarding Ebay shipping or feedback. I always try to charge fair amounts. Sometimes I may make an extra $1, but other times I lose that or more by not estimating close enough. As for buying off Ebay, I always set a price in my head that I refuse to go above. I figure in shipping before coming up with the bid amount. For example, if I want a pair of jeans and don't want to spend more than $10 total. If the seller lists shipping as $6.99, then I won't bid over $3.01. If the seller lists shipping as $4.99, then I can bid up to $5.01. It doesn't matter to me because I know I'm paying the same either way. I just refuse to charge people that myself.

Shann
01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I hear you I can't stand the shipping prices. Most of them are completey outrageous and I choose not to buy through them. I wish ebay would regulate shipping prices more. A lot of shipping is $15 and there is no way it would cost that much for the items I look at. And how many ppl charge those prices then send media mail :rolleyes:

Bahet
01-23-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't buy off Ebay for that very reason. I might save a few bucks on the item but by the time I add in shipping costs it would be cheaper to just run out and buy it at a regular store.

tngirl
01-24-2008, 02:40 AM
I understand adding a bit extra for helping to recover the costs of Ebay & PayPal fees along with the materials it takes for shipping or the cost to get it to the PO. I just hate the outrageous amounts some people charge. I usually add $1-$2 to my fees for shipping and handling because of costs, including having to drive to the PO to mail the package. Selling on here is different though. I only charge exact shipping because I can sell an item for the amount I want without having fees come out of it.

Whenever I shop on Ebay I always look at the s/h before bidding because I know I can find it somewhere else or another seller for less.

iluvmybaby
01-24-2008, 08:04 AM
I understand adding a bit extra for helping to recover the costs of Ebay & PayPal fees along with the materials it takes for shipping or the cost to get it to the PO. I just hate the outrageous amounts some people charge. I usually add $1-$2 to my fees for shipping and handling because of costs, including having to drive to the PO to mail the package. Selling on here is different though. I only charge exact shipping because I can sell an item for the amount I want without having fees come out of it.

Whenever I shop on Ebay I always look at the s/h before bidding because I know I can find it somewhere else or another seller for less.

I was pretty pissed off last night, I think adding a dollar or two is fair with gas prices and the cost of the materials. I understand that completely. I think ebay has gotten out of control with costs, it's unfair to sellers and unfair for buyers because both get cut. Ebay is so greedy! They make bundles a day, just like Walmart. You think they would cut the small sellers a deal

DrGrin
01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Start reporting the auctions to ebay when you find them with low starting bids and outlandish shipping charges. I've come across several auctions in the last few days where the sellers are starting auctions at 99 cents and having shipping costs of $15.00-$25.00 on an item that might cost $5.00 to ship. It's called fee evasion, and when enough people report the sellers for doing it, they will be shut down.

iluvmybaby
01-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Start reporting the auctions to ebay when you find them with low starting bids and outlandish shipping charges. I've come across several auctions in the last few days where the sellers are starting auctions at 99 cents and having shipping costs of $15.00-$25.00 on an item that might cost $5.00 to ship. It's called fee evasion, and when enough people report the sellers for doing it, they will be shut down.

OHHHHH how smart! I never thought about doing that!

atprm
01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't buy or sell on ebay anymore.

I don't sell because you get:

charged to list
charged when it sells
charged when you get paypal.

So they are basically "taxing" you 3 times for 1 item...

I don't buy on ebay simply because some of the sellers (if not most) gouge on shipping.

Diana777
01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
I used to sell on ebay quite a lot but then the fees got insanely high so I no longer sell.
I also no do not buy on ebay because they screw you on the shipping. When I sold I used the usps website and a postage scale to determine how much shipping costs would be but it is obvious that a huge number of people just randomly pick a number for shipping costs.
I too feel they should put a stop to it.

whatever
01-24-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't buy or sell on ebay anymore.

I don't sell because you get:

charged to list
charged when it sells
charged when you get paypal.

So they are basically "taxing" you 3 times for 1 item...
I'm with you. I have not sold on ebay for at least a year probably longer. And i only sold a few things. My problem i never charged enough shipping. LOL
I always took a hit. Yep the first thing i look at if i have to go to ebay for a hard to find item is the shipping costs. If its gouging i go to the next item!

I don't buy on ebay simply because some of the sellers (if not most) gouge on shipping.

I'm with you. I have not sold on ebay for at least a year probably longer. And i only sold a few things. My problem i never charged enough shipping. LOL
I always took a hit. Yep the first thing i look at if i have to go to ebay for a hard to find item is the shipping costs. If its gouging i go to the next item!

ladybugva
01-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I am with you there. I quit selling on e0bay the little that I did b/c I ended up loosing money most the time b/c I wanted to be fair but the fees and every thing.
I once bought some thing for a mass seller and the shipping was HUGE but I only paid a few dollars for the item so the total was still a good price. BUT thier feed back had people complaining about the price. i think if you pay for it then it's a bit late to leave feed back upset about the set shipping price.

hopefully you can find some good deals some where else.

PrincessArky
01-25-2008, 05:45 AM
I think I will stick with finding deals at resale shops and yard sales lol

peaceluver
01-26-2008, 03:25 AM
Alot of people are drop shipping. The shipping they charge you is the shipping that the companies are charging them. If you order several items from the same person they might all be comming from different locations.