PDA

View Full Version : Ice Storm-but kids have school!

taz69
01-22-2008, 06:22 AM
We are having freak weather here in East Tennessee-was clear at 6 am, but by 6:30 there was freezing rain all over. Every school for 60 miles (including University of TN!) is closed or opening late, except my kids school! I took them in early, because my daughter had a meeting, so they are already there, but the roads are pure ice now-UGH! It's so bad here now that they are telling people not to call the police unless there is an injury when you have an accident. The radio is estimating 300 + accidents in the last hour. This is crazy! Glad I'm home and safe, and kids can stay at school till it clears this afternoon-but they are not staying after for jazz band/soccer. I bringing them home before it gets dark and re-freezes!

freeby4me
01-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Yikes that sounds bad!

Around here, school must be cancelled by 5:30 am at the absolute latest. I was on the bus at 5:55am back in high school. They also have to have it announced that they'll be opening late by that time as well. Perhaps they thought it wouldnt happen or something LOL
Keep an ear open, they may close early! Stay safe!!

tracyb
01-22-2008, 06:42 AM
we had our kids up and ready and waiting for the bus before they even announced it was cancelled.....it started snowing after 6am ....I can only imagine howmany busses was already on the road...now my girls are out playing it the snow....lol

PrincessArky
01-22-2008, 10:20 AM
wow cant believe they had school, sorry but I wouldnt have let mine go if the roads are that bad just not worth the chance

jayhawkfan
01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I can believe they didnt close, thats how our schools are. But they also say that if you think its too bad, then dont send them. Ultimately its up to the parent in our district.

taz69
01-22-2008, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't have had them go, but the freeze started after I had dropped them off-they had to be at school early for a meeting. I am picking them up early, it is supposed to re-freeze by 3.

PrincessArky
01-22-2008, 11:40 AM
please be careful out there from the sounds of so many accidents it sounds really scary

iluvmybaby
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
I am in West TN and we had some freezing rain and some sleet but nothing serious, a lot of the schools near is closed, my little bro went to school today tho

Shann
01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
sounds like the school I went to in Iowa. I hope you're able to safely get your kids and get back home.

taz69
01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Got kids home safe. Roads are still wet, supposed to freeze overnight-the will NOT be going tomorrow if it is anywhere like today. The news just reported over 780 accidents in east TN today! Whew! Glad I wasn't one of them!

ElleGee
01-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Every other city but Providence gets school off if there is less than a half an inch of snow on the ground. Last snow storm we had the governor pleaded to have schools let out early. At 1 pm they did.. Kids in Providence who took buses home were stuck on them til 10 pm.. It was rediculous..

Glad you and the kids got home safe

buglebe
01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Yes on the occassional day like this with my kids I let them stay home. No they didn't complain!!

PrincessArky
01-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Got kids home safe. Roads are still wet, supposed to freeze overnight-the will NOT be going tomorrow if it is anywhere like today. The news just reported over 780 accidents in east TN today! Whew! Glad I wasn't one of them!

oh I am so glad you guys got home safe and sound