PDA

View Full Version : sign up for draft?

deb_gar
01-20-2008, 04:43 PM
My son just turned 18. Does he have to register for the draft? I had all daughters before and don't know. Everyone I ask, half say yes and half say no.

Willow
01-20-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't think there is a draft so I would say no.

freeby4me
01-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes, he needs to sign up for the "Selective Service" you can go down to the post office and get a little brochure thingy on it.

Its by the other brochures, "moving, send this card thingy for a change of address, and the U-haul brochures, things like that"

Army-Mom
01-20-2008, 04:55 PM
yes you do..my sons did and my youngest is 22..of course my oldest went into service.

ahippiechic
01-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Yes, he will have to register sometime between his 18th and 25th birthday. He can do it at any Post Office I think.

lymi
01-20-2008, 05:03 PM
When my son turned 18, they no longer did it at the post office. We had to go to any recruiting office to do it

ahippiechic
01-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Here a link to the website.
http://www.sss.gov/

Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service. It's important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military. In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces.

REGISTER ON-LINE
Young men may now register on-line with Selective Service.
https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx

AT THE POST OFFICE
Selective Service "mail-back" registration forms are available at any U.S. Post Office. A man can fill it out, sign (leaving the space for your Social Security Number blank, if you have not yet obtained one*), affix postage, and mail it to Selective Service, without the involvement of the postal clerk. Men living overseas may register at any U.S. Embassy or consular office.

*Provide your Social Security Number to the Selective Service when you do obtain one.

BY MAIL
A young man may also register by filling out a Reminder Mailback Card. Selective Service sends this card to many young men around the time they turn 18. Mailback cards are also available at some post offices. A man can fill out the card at home and mail it directly to Selective Service. Forms will be sent to: Selective Service System, Registration Information Office, P.O. Box 94638, Palatine, IL 60094-4638.

CHECK BOX
Another way a young man can register is to check a box on the application form for Federal Student Financial Aid (FAFSA form). A man can check "Yes" on Box #29 of that form, and the Department of Education will furnish Selective Service with the information to register the man.

AT THEIR HIGH SCHOOL
More than half the high schools in the Nation have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. These individuals help register male high school students.

Willow
01-20-2008, 06:06 PM
I think the part about the draft threw me off. LOL

vicky122
01-20-2008, 06:17 PM
This is how my son's was done.
AT THEIR HIGH SCHOOL
More than half the high schools in the Nation have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. These individuals help register male high school students.

deb_gar
01-20-2008, 07:09 PM
I think the part about the draft threw me off. LOL

sorry, couldn't think of "selective service" lol

I knew it was called something else.
senior moment (which have been happening more and more lately)

whatever
01-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I was not aware of such a thing either!

ilovecats
01-20-2008, 08:44 PM
I believe that when my son was close to 18 or just turned 18,he got something in the mail to fill out from selective service and he had to just fill it out and mail it in.Hey,may as well brag in this thread;My son is graduating Feb.1.He will be A Marine!The crucible starts this Wednesday.I am so proud of him!!!!ok,sorry,lol I am just bursting with happiness and can not wait to see him.

YankeeMary
01-20-2008, 11:02 PM
My son is 17 will be 18 in Feb. (how sad is that? boo hoo) anyways, they did that in school.

deb_gar
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
My son is 17 will be 18 in Feb. (how sad is that? boo hoo) anyways, they did that in school.

Ok, talked to the school and they told me that we have to go to the post office......they don't do that at school.

Will have to go tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info everyone....I knew I could count on you guys!!!!

:thankyou