PDA

View Full Version : 3 pedestrian deaths ruled murder-suicide

dv8grl
01-18-2008, 08:37 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080119/ap_on_re_us/pedestrians_killed

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - A woman with a history of mental illness purposely walked her young niece and nephew into oncoming interstate traffic to commit a double-murder suicide, a prosecutor said Friday.

Marcelle Thibault, 39, was driving south on Interstate 495 in Lowell last week when she turned the car sharply, drove across the median and northbound lanes and began driving against traffic in the breakdown lane, authorities said.

She then stopped the car, removed her clothes and undressed the children, took both of them into her arms and walked onto the highway. She and the children were struck by two cars and killed.

"There are not many other scenarios I can think of that are as tragic as this one," District Attorney Gerry Leone said. "It is beyond belief, it is unimaginable, it is unspeakable, and it was a horrible tragedy."

The young victims were Kaleigh Lambert, 5, and Shane Lambert, 4, of Brentwood, N.H., who were the children of Thibault's twin sister.

Thibault, of Bellingham, was a stay-at-home mom who was active with her church and loved to be with her own two teenage children. She was one of eight daughters and loved organizing family gatherings.

Leone said Thibault had picked up the youngsters Jan. 11 for a "pirate and princess weekend." Young said the woman, who had two teenage children, often took her sister's kids for special weekends.

Kaleigh and Shane were the only children of Ken and Danielle Lambert and were typical youngsters, family spokesman Paul Young said. "They're a great family," Young said.

In New Hampshire, a neighbor said the Lamberts were caring, conscientious parents. When their children drew with chalk, they would draw a line halfway down the driveway to mark how close they could go to the street, he said.

Leone said Thibault had received treatment for mental illness. Young described it as an isolated incident in her life, within the past year.

"She appeared to be fully recovered from that, and there was no indication of a relapse," he said.

Leone said no drugs or alcohol were involved. "It is far too complicated, too complex to make any real determination about what the cause was, what was in her mind," he said. The drivers of the vehicles were not injured.

A statement from the family released by Leone's office pleaded for prayers and privacy.

"This is a time of terrible tragedy for our families. We love Marci, Kaleigh, and Shane and we miss them very much," the statement said. "We ask everyone to join us in prayer for their souls, and to help us get through this most difficult period of our lives."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really.. what the hell is wrong people!!! At least she killed herself, that chump in Hawaii should have jumped from his death as well...

RNB16
01-19-2008, 07:27 AM
That is just awful. Those poor kids and then the people who were driving the cars who hit them. I cannot even imagine what those families are going through.

BeanieLuvR
01-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Those poor kids. If she wanted to kill herself that is one thing but to take innocent children with her is terrible. I don't know what is wrong with people. This is getting to be a crazy world that we live in. :(

PrincessArky
01-19-2008, 10:27 PM
ah those poor babies :(

I dont get how they say it is mental illness and an isolated case a year ago mental illness is mental illness something that never completley goes away. I also get sick of ppl using that as their excuse I am bi polar myself and I have hit the top of the clouds and I have hit way below bottom and never once in my life have I ever thought of hurting anyone but myself

Jolie Rouge
01-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Woman cited hours before highway deaths
By DENISE LAVOIE, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 39 minutes ago

BOSTON - A woman who killed herself and her sister's two small children by walking into oncoming interstate traffic had a minor car accident and State Police cited her just hours before the double murder-suicide.

Marcelle "Marci" Thibault, 39, showed no signs of impairment when three State Police troopers arrived to the scene of the accident — the same highway where she would later die — around 6:50 p.m. on Jan. 11, State Police Capt. Barry O'Brien told The Associated Press on Friday.

Thibault told troopers she must have fallen asleep at the wheel and brushed her 2003 Lincoln sedan against a guardrail, causing minor damage to the sideview mirror, O'Brien said.

Initially, another motorist had stopped to assist and told police Thibault appeared agitated, but she was rational and responsive when troopers arrived, O'Brien said.

"They interacted with her for about 15 minutes, and they didn't observe any impairment, no signs of any drug or alcohol, she had a valid license, so after she was cited, she continued on her way," O'Brien said.

Less than three hours later, she killed herself and her twin sister's two children by walking into oncoming traffic on Interstate 495, less than 10 miles from her earlier accident.

After being cited for failure to stay in marked lanes, Thibault drove to the home of her sister in Brentwood, N.H., where she picked up her 5-year-old niece, Kaleigh Lambert, and 4-year-old nephew Shane Lambert for a planned sleep-over party.

On her way home to Bellingham, authorities say Thibault pulled over to the side of Interstate 495 south in Lowell, undressed herself and the children, took them in her arms and walked into oncoming traffic. They were fatally struck by two cars.

Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone has said the woman had a brief history of mental illness. Leone announced last week the deaths were not accidental.

"We were aware of the prior traffic stop and a complete development of the facts supported our findings in this tragic incident," Leone's spokesman Corey Welford said Friday.

Ken and Danielle Lambert, the parents of the children, said in a statement Friday night that the events leading to the deaths of their three family members were "most unfortunate." No one could have possibly predicted the outcome, they said, adding that they would never have intentionally put their children in harm's way.

"Our hope is that families and officials will gain a better understanding of mental illness and provide better treatment protocols in the future," the parents' statement said. "Perhaps increased knowledge of these issues will prevent incidents like this from happening in the future."

Friends and family said Thibault was a doting stay-at-home mom to her teenage children and volunteered to organize activities for teens at her church. She often threw parties for her young nieces and nephews, like the "pirates and princesses" sleep-over she picked up her sister's only children for Jan. 11.

Young said earlier he did not know the specifics of the mental health treatment Thibault had received, but described it as a "brief, isolated incident in her life" within the past year and said she appeared to have fully recovered.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080126/ap_on_re_us/pedestrians_killed_3;_ylt=ApK_4IW7q46N24.MnkLm030E 1vAI

stresseater
01-25-2008, 10:41 PM
How sad. I will be interested in finding out if she had Ambien in her system.

Jolie Rouge
01-25-2008, 10:48 PM
What side effects associated with Ambien are you looking into ?

dv8grl
01-26-2008, 09:11 AM
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-9690-Ambien+Oral.aspx?drugid=9690&drugname=Ambien+Oral&pagenumber=6

The following side effects are associated with Ambien Oral:

Common side effects:
Hiccups Less Severe

Infrequent side effects:
Depression Severe
Confused Severe
Nightmares Less Severe
Double Vision Less Severe
Problems with Eyesight Less Severe
Dry Mouth Less Severe
Drowsiness Less Severe
Loss of Memory Less Severe
Sensation of Spinning or Whirling Less Severe
Dizzy Less Severe
Head Pain Less Severe
Feel Like Throwing Up Less Severe
Throwing Up Less Severe
Diarrhea Less Severe
Stomach Cramps Less Severe
Feeling Weak Less Severe
Not Feeling Well Less Severe

Rare side effects:
Feeling Restless Severe
Problem Behavior Severe
Abnormally Low Blood Pressure Severe
Hallucination Severe
Abnormal Trouble Sleeping Severe
Rash Severe
Life Threatening Allergic Reaction Severe
Giant Hives Severe
Reaction due to an Allergy Severe
Easily Angered or Annoyed Severe
Falling Severe
Taking Habit Forming Drugs Less Severe
Extreme Sense of Well Being Less Severe
Perform Complex Natural behaviors while Asleep Less Severe
Cannot Focus Thoughts Less Severe
Uncoordinated Less Severe
Heart Throbbing or Pounding Less Severe

PinkAquila
01-26-2008, 09:41 AM
How sad. I will be interested in finding out if she had Ambien in her system.

A couple of years ago I was put on Ambien, after 3 days I had to stop.
I would wake up in the mornings and hubby and kids would tell me I was doing all this really weird crazy stuff, and that I looked crazy. I don't remember anything I did those 3 nights. Hubby said I really scared the kids.
I did wake up one morning with a burnt match in my hair. Hubby said it was the only time he ever wanted to slap me.

YankeeMary
01-26-2008, 12:23 PM
ah those poor babies :(

I dont get how they say it is mental illness and an isolated case a year ago mental illness is mental illness something that never completley goes away. I also get sick of ppl using that as their excuse I am bi polar myself and I have hit the top of the clouds and I have hit way below bottom and never once in my life have I ever thought of hurting anyone but myself

Aren't you so very blessed. Mental illness is very real. I agree that there are some who will try to use it when in all reality they are just evil. But truly this woman was very sick, to be such a great aunt, etc. then boom, kill the kids. Only a very sick person could do something this horrific. I feel so bad for all involved especially the mother of the children and the driver that hit them. So many lives ruined.

stresseater
01-26-2008, 05:29 PM
What side effects associated with Ambien are you looking into ?

A couple of years ago I was put on Ambien, after 3 days I had to stop.
I would wake up in the mornings and hubby and kids would tell me I was doing all this really weird crazy stuff, and that I looked crazy. I don't remember anything I did those 3 nights. Hubby said I really scared the kids.
I did wake up one morning with a burnt match in my hair. Hubby said it was the only time he ever wanted to slap me.
This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking may be the case here.

ang in NC
01-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Scary, poor family