PDA

View Full Version : Target brand cold medicine - save your money

Surfergal
01-18-2008, 04:59 PM
It says compare to the national brands - I always like to save money and why pay for advertizing. I never buy name brands and they have always worked fine. I came down with a cold at work today and so I ran to the nearest place, Target, that sold such medications. and bought a 12 pack multi symptom 4 hour tablets.( now note I hunted for the longest lasting, but all the freaking manufactures keep the dosage info hidden in the tons of fine print all over the packages. I did not know they were 4 hour , cause I fricken gave up trying to find the info in the small print as I was sneezing all over the place and dizzy with a horrible headache. ) got back to work and read It said take two every 4 hours - this means the package will only last two days. took two - two hours later still nose running, sneezing, coughing with major headache. things seemed to get slightly better for the next half hour, but back downhill after that. took two more after 4 hours for the ride home (4:30pm) here it is almost 7pm and I have noticed absolutely no relief - did I buy dummy pills? now I am running out to buy something else. I have been od'ing with chicken soup, vitamin c and zinc, and tea and honey.

I remember when I used to be able to buy 12 hour store brand contac type tablets (a single pill dose) and all my cold symtoms would disappear. Now they are no longer available.

I will not waste my money on another item from Target ever. I really hate that store. My store never has advertized goods. they overcharge me regularely. whenever I have gone in for bridal or baby gifts from their registry their machines are always down and/or they are out of stock. And the staff is either always useless or rude. I HATE Target!!!!!!!!!!

krissy904
01-18-2008, 05:17 PM
I realize that your hate for Target is real but maybe I can shed some light on easy comparison for over the counter medications. All medications over the counter have a "disclosure" that lists the active ingredients in their generic names. It doesn't matter what brand you look at or what it says on the front of the box or bottle, they all list the active ingredient(s) including the amount included in each dosage. Armed with this tool. it is very easy to compare any brand side-by side, whether a store or name brand. One other consideration would be the fact that some drugs are available in immediate-release, extended-release or other formulations, and if this is the formulation that you are seeking, you need to make certain that it states this on the list of active ingredients.

Surfergal
01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
I compared the active ingredients (doesn't mean they were actually put in them)- it is the dosing that is the problem. thx

iluvmybaby
01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Alka seltzer is the BEST and is worth the extra $$$, it works

Mary_Jo3
01-19-2008, 07:05 AM
In IL they put the good stuff behind the counter at the pharmacy they took out the medicine they make meth with out of the stuff thats on the shelf. I don't know much about medicine, but I get my cold medicine from behind the counter. Just a thought. Hope you feel better soon.

freeby4me
01-19-2008, 07:19 AM
In IL they put the good stuff behind the counter at the pharmacy they took out the medicine they make meth with out of the stuff thats on the shelf. I don't know much about medicine, but I get my cold medicine from behind the counter. Just a thought. Hope you feel better soon.

This is why.

RNB16
01-19-2008, 07:21 AM
A Lot of meds are now kept behind the counter and I don't think some people realize this, it's due to a specific ingredient and you must be 18 to purchase. As for active ingredients I highly doubt they would list it if it weren't in it. I usually buy the store brand weather it be Target, WalMart or Walgreens brand and have about 90% of the time had great results. Now for cold meds I buy Mucinex now, expensive stuff but it sure does work Great. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

iluvmybaby
01-19-2008, 08:32 AM
I think there are some things I will go cheap on : generic sodas, chips, fake krocs, etc. But how can you put a price tag on your health? I hope that you are feeling better today!

tarasdream
01-19-2008, 08:51 AM
try airborne

iluvmybaby
01-19-2008, 10:10 AM
try airborne

Does that work?!?!

Qtxann315
01-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I think there are some things I will go cheap on : generic sodas, chips, fake krocs, etc. But how can you put a price tag on your health? I hope that you are feeling better today!

I feel the same.

kelblend
01-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Have always bought generic meds if the active ingredient is the same as the brand name and haven't had any problems. I have to show my driver's license and sign a book to purchase sudafed. Actually, I buy the generic sudafed but it works a heck of a lot better than the stuff they replaced it with on the shelves. It's worth it to go to the pharmacy to purchase it.

Freebeemom
01-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Another problem here is that there are people out there that overmedicate, and have ruined it for those that don't. By overmedicating, strains have become resistant to the meds. Why do you think that some went non prescription? (Claritin, for example). There is another eye med that used to be prescrip and I was shocked when I found it on the shelf. Sure, I scooped one up, but who knows anymore what works and what doesn't.

I have been taking probiotics and it has helped me so much. For one, I don't get sick as often.

Hope you are feeling better.

justme23
01-20-2008, 07:25 PM

That's ridiculous... if the active ingredients are the same (it's the same as buying a generic prescription) then why spend all the extra money? It reminds me of my neighbor who spent almost 20 dollars on Tylenol when there was a generic bottle right next to it with the exact same active ingredients for FIFTEEN dollars LESS. She had to have "the name". I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound rude, I just think it's silly... jmo.

justme23
01-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Does that work?!?!

Yes, this does work... and very well. It's all my hubby will take at the first symptoms and he never gets bad sick anymore.

kelblend
01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
That's ridiculous... if the active ingredients are the same (it's the same as buying a generic prescription) then why spend all the extra money? It reminds me of my neighbor who spent almost 20 dollars on Tylenol when there was a generic bottle right next to it with the exact same active ingredients for FIFTEEN dollars LESS. She had to have "the name". I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound rude, I just think it's silly... jmo.

I've never understood it either if the active ingredients are the same. Now, if one of the inactive ingredients vary and cause you problems I can see it. I just don't like to fork over any more money than I have to. If it's super double coupons or something and the brand name ends up being cheaper then I will buy it. lol Has to be a really good sale and coupons.

Willow
01-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Does that work?!?!

Last week on the Today Show they did a study on the Airborne and they said not to even bother spending the money on it. They said that if people are feeling better after taking it it's because of the Vitamin C. They said it's a lot cheaper to just buy a bottle of Vitamin C tablets. I have not tried it but that is what they said about it on the Today Show.

Airborne
The package claims it should be used by people who frequent crowded, germ filled environments — office buildings, schools, restaurants, health clubs, theatres, and of course airplanes — basically all of us! The contents provide a mixture of vitamins, minerals and herbs – with large amounts of vitamin C and straight vitamin A.

Bottom Line: There do not seem to be ANY product-specific credible studies to support Airborne’s effectiveness. If it works at all, it’s most likely due to the large amount of Vitamin C — which you can certainly buy for a lot less money in plain pill form. And keep in mind that Vitamin C does not work instantaneously to reduce your risk of catching a cold… if you pop a pill when you board a plane, don’t expect your body to exhibit miraculous germ repelling ability.

Most importantly, the amount and type of Vitamin A in this product could be downright dangerous. Each daily dose provides 100% of the Daily Value for straight Vitamin A – the type most health experts now steer people AWAY from. Too much can cause potential adverse health risks, including brittle bones and liver damage. The package directions say, “take every 3-4 hours, up to three times a day”… clearly a health risk when you tally Vitamin A totals.

krissy904
01-21-2008, 11:19 AM

Yep, I agree with Justme, however I wouldn't skimp on buying things that (to me) really are not the "same", such as chips, drinks, stuff like that. Laundry detergent, cheap-ok, toiler paper-cheap not ok. It just depends on hte person and the inportance that they place on items. But for medications, Acetaminophen is Acetaminophen, whether poured into a brand name Tylenol capsule or a molded into a walmart caplet.