PDA

View Full Version : 4,000 LB PROBLEM... i need some help!!!! please!!

VALENA-)45
01-15-2008, 10:27 AM
My car, the 1992 ford crown victoria, broke down on the way to my sister's house in Brooklyn, ny. Was going there for a family emergancy. It first broke down on the highway, she just shut off. After sitting there for an hour she started back up, and we got the car off the highway. It cost sweetie and my sister $218.00 to flatbed the car to my sister's house. My Victoria has been sitting in Brooklyn, since 12/20, the car won't start, so it can't be driven, back to Albany. To flatbed it back, it will cost over $700.00, If, I use U-haul, to bring her back home, it will cost over $400.00, and $278 of that is for a 2 day rental of a truck that I only need to use for less then one day and i have asked them if there is a way that i can rent the truck for a one day rental instead of for two days and I was told all truck rentals are for two days and i won't get any of my rental money back. and U-haul don't do discounts. I need to get my car back, but i really can't afford to pay these high prices. can anyone come up with any other way i can get the car from nyc, back to albany, without paying an arm and three legs. thanks for all of your help.

myspirit
01-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Try a trucker board

sheila_361
01-15-2008, 10:38 AM
find someone that would be willing to drive you their and tow it back and just give them gas money and buy their meals?

PrincessArky
01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
you need a car that wont start, does that mean you are planning on fixing it? Maybe there is shop close by to where you car is that you can afford to have fix it. Either way sorry cant be any help but I sure hope it works out so you can get it w/out spending a ton of money

nelda
01-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem! I would try to find a mechanic in Brooklyn that would take a look at it. Maybe your sister, some of her friends, or her neighbors might know of a good mechanic that you could trust?

It might be a very small and inexpensive problem to fix that caused your car to stop! I don't know much about cars, but have had a few very simple things and inexpensive parts that have stopped my cars in the past (like a bad battery cable, corroded battery connection, and a bad thermostat).

Good luck!

iluvmybaby
01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
you need a car that wont start, does that mean you are planning on fixing it? Maybe there is shop close by to where you car is that you can afford to have fix it. Either way sorry cant be any help but I sure hope it works out so you can get it w/out spending a ton of money

That would be the smartest thing to do

VALENA-)45
01-15-2008, 02:14 PM
find someone that would be willing to drive you their and tow it back and just give them gas money and buy their meals?I thought of this,too. but everyone wants money. I was going to pay for meals and gas and give the person money for their pocket, for helping me with this problem. But, they want more money then i can afford.

VALENA-)45
01-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem! I would try to find a mechanic in Brooklyn that would take a look at it. Maybe your sister, some of her friends, or her neighbors might know of a good mechanic that you could trust?

It might be a very small and inexpensive problem to fix that caused your car to stop! I don't know much about cars, but have had a few very simple things and inexpensive parts that have stopped my cars in the past (like a bad battery cable, corroded battery connection, and a bad thermostat).

Good luck! I asked my bil to look into that for me, but my sister controls him, so that was a lost cause, darn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only words that come out of her mouth is money. My car is not hers, so she is not trying to help me get it fixed down there. It's a jealousy thing!!!!! that has been going on for years, I just found out about it last year. She is a very unhappy person, so why should anyone else be happy.

VALENA-)45
01-15-2008, 02:32 PM
I think i will be using a car transportation company to bring my Victoria up here to storage. It is door to door transportation I think that would costs less then rent a u-haul truck, and paying someone to drive the u-haul for me. Yes, I will be fixing that car, she will cost more then $2,000.00, to fix her but she is mine and I want her, her body is in great shape, no dings or dents or scratches, all she needs is an engine, which she will get later on this year. Thanks for all of your help, and thanks to all for reading this.

PrincessArky
01-15-2008, 02:32 PM
I asked my bil to look into that for me, but my sister controls him, so that was a lost cause, darn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only words that come out of her mouth is money. My car is not hers, so she is not trying to help me get it fixed down there. It's a jealousy thing!!!!! that has been going on for years, I just found out about it last year. She is a very unhappy person, so why should anyone else be happy.

oh no that cant be good :(

gonnascream
01-15-2008, 04:33 PM
why would you spend 2000 to fix a car that even if it is in excellent condition isn't worth 1500 blue book ?

freeby4me
01-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I think i will be using a car transportation company to bring my Victoria up here to storage. It is door to door transportation I think that would costs less then rent a u-haul truck, and paying someone to drive the u-haul for me. Yes, I will be fixing that car, she will cost more then $2,000.00, to fix her but she is mine and I want her, her body is in great shape, no dings or dents or scratches, all she needs is an engine, which she will get later on this year. Thanks for all of your help, and thanks to all for reading this.

So how do you know it needs an engine? I thought those were the cars that police cruisers were..?
Whats actually wrong with it?

dv8grl
01-15-2008, 04:58 PM
why would you spend 2000 to fix a car that even if it is in excellent condition isn't worth 1500 blue book ? EXACTLEY! You'll be putting so much money into it, it doesn't seem worth it. Its a 92, its not like its a classic or a collectible, even if it is in EXCELLENT shape.
I understand about holding onto a car (my Jeep) that is just sucking the life out of your wallet. I finally had to say NO MORE and it was one of the saddest days of my life when I had to clean it out for the tow driver to take it off....
Its time to LET GO!

ljtaylor
01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
why would you spend 2000 to fix a car that even if it is in excellent condition isn't worth 1500 blue book ?

ITA!!

earnhardt1
01-15-2008, 05:05 PM
ITA there are many good cars out there newer for teh price you will pay to fix an old car..... i would be looking around at other options

Shann
01-15-2008, 05:08 PM

I agree w/ that as well! I have a 95 and if I needed to replace the engine or the car, it would be the car b/c chances are once you get that fixed something else will go wrong.

iluvmybaby
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM

Maybe it has sentimental value? IDK, like a previous poster said, it might be something super simple that would cost $200 to repair. Have a local shop take a look at it, local as where it is, then you are just out the cost of the tow. Then, if it something simple you can keep it, if not scrap it.

VALENA-)45
01-15-2008, 07:25 PM
why would you spend 2000 to fix a car that even if it is in excellent condition isn't worth 1500 blue book ? I don't car what is in the kelly blue book, I love my car and I am getting it fixed. My Crown Victoria, took care of me when I needed it and now it is her turn. It was a police car before i got it, and i agree to get it checked out, but i will still pay the money to get it fixed.

earnhardt1
01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
good luck!!!!!!! sounds as if ur gonna need lots of luck

gonnascream
01-15-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't car what is in the kelly blue book, I love my car and I am getting it fixed. My Crown Victoria, took care of me when I needed it and now it is her turn. It was a police car before i got it, and i agree to get it checked out, but i will still pay the money to get it fixed.
it's your money you can spend it however you want. But sheesh, you say you would spend 2000 on a 16 year old car to fix it but won't pay or can't afford to get it towed home. Something just dosen't sound right.

PrincessArky
01-15-2008, 09:57 PM
An engine is still cheaper than 5 yrs of car payments :)

gonnascream
01-16-2008, 05:34 AM
you do realize you can get a newer model car for 2000.00 Nobody ever said anything about car payments.

PrincessArky
01-16-2008, 05:40 AM
you do realize you can get a newer model car for 2000.00 Nobody ever said anything about car payments.

you know its possible to get a car for 2 grand and have more problems than the last car right?

cabby92
01-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Two grand plus the cost of the tow. If you are careful you can get a decent car for that. You never know what you're getting when you have an engine replaced. Plus, at that age, it's time for everything to go.

Bliss
01-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Sounds like you'll waste more money having the car towed than it's worth. If you want to keep the car, check around and see if you can find a mechanic near by - it could be something as simple as the starter.

Mary_Jo3
01-16-2008, 07:44 AM
1st was a 1975 AMC Hornet wagon, loved that little car, when I bought it there was almost 100,000 on it, drove the heck out of it for 3 years.
The same problem would happen with my car, it would drive a while then die, after about 15 min it would start again, it was the fuel filter. I was lucky it was an inline filter and not one in the gas tank, fixed it for very little money.
I always say drive um till they drop, I don't understand why people are in such a hurry to get in to car debt when it could be a small fix.
2nd was a 1985 Pontiac Grand Prix, drove it 16 years, man I loved that car, my 300LB hubby stood on the hood to fix soffit on the house didn't even leave a dent. Thats when cars were tanks.
Present car is a 2000 Lincoln Cont, an executive driven car, got it in Jan 2002with 25,000 miles on it for less the half the sticker price and plan to drive it to death also. I change the oil every 3 months or 3000 miles, usually the 3 months come first, because it's only got 63,000 miles on it now. Buck heck don't lean on it because it will leave a dent. They make them cheaper and lighter and still have crappy gas miliage, mine gets 19.7 miles to the gal, the car computer told me so.
So I can see where you are coming from, anything is better then a car payment. I hope you get your car back and able to get it fixed, have you checked into the Local Community College, many have auto shops and need cars to work on.

MamaArc
01-16-2008, 07:56 AM
There is also Vocational Schools that do stuff like that for people, and it's alot cheaper then going to a regular mechainc. I think God everyday that my husband does this kind of work cause there is no way I would want to pay the outragous prices they charge you in the garages nowday. Usually if you take it to the Vocational Schools all you have to pay for is whatever the car needs, not labor since it's a learning experience. Good Luck!!

Eyore
01-16-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't car what is in the kelly blue book, I love my car and I am getting it fixed. My Crown Victoria, took care of me when I needed it and now it is her turn. It was a police car before i got it, and i agree to get it checked out, but i will still pay the money to get it fixed.

Here is a link to Kelly Blue Book http://www.kbb.com/kbb/default.aspx?trid=20&psid=1-114-6429-5-1-3&gclid=CJS985KZ-5ACFSG8GgodTlVW1w
This is where people go to check to see what a car is worth. It is used everywhere. Car lots use them and I have even seen on tv court shows like Judge Judy etc that they use them also.
I can understand you wanting to keep your car but you might consider another one. I would imagine that it uses alot of gas. Maybe find something smaller and cheaper on gas. Good luck with whatever you do.

VALENA-)45
01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
An engine is still cheaper than 5 yrs of car payments :)Car payments??? I don't like car payments, that's why I will pay the money to get my car repaired. Some of the newer model cars look nice, but, they have no room, they get hit once they are totaled. My car has room, I can move around in her, and if, I have to put a few more people in i can. By the way, she is white, with a burgundy interior, she's a luxury car. And yes she was a police car that was treated very gently. PrincessArky the care payment part is not to answer you. Thanks, for sticking up for me. My Crown Victoria only cost me $400.00 to get her from somebody else, and this is only the first time that something major has been wrong with her.((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))

VALENA-)45
01-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Sounds like you'll waste more money having the car towed than it's worth. If you want to keep the car, check around and see if you can find a mechanic near by - it could be something as simple as the starter. Great idea, But, I don't live down there, anymore. That is part of my problem.

VALENA-)45
01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
1st was a 1975 AMC Hornet wagon, loved that little car, when I bought it there was almost 100,000 on it, drove the heck out of it for 3 years.
The same problem would happen with my car, it would drive a while then die, after about 15 min it would start again, it was the fuel filter. I was lucky it was an inline filter and not one in the gas tank, fixed it for very little money.
I always say drive um till they drop, I don't understand why people are in such a hurry to get in to car debt when it could be a small fix.
2nd was a 1985 Pontiac Grand Prix, drove it 16 years, man I loved that car, my 300LB hubby stood on the hood to fix soffit on the house didn't even leave a dent. Thats when cars were tanks.
Present car is a 2000 Lincoln Cont, an executive driven car, got it in Jan 2002with 25,000 miles on it for less the half the sticker price and plan to drive it to death also. I change the oil every 3 months or 3000 miles, usually the 3 months come first, because it's only got 63,000 miles on it now. Buck heck don't lean on it because it will leave a dent. They make them cheaper and lighter and still have crappy gas miliage, mine gets 19.7 miles to the gal, the car computer told me so.
So I can see where you are coming from, anything is better then a car payment. I hope you get your car back and able to get it fixed, have you checked into the Local Community College, many have auto shops and need cars to work on. I love your idea, I am going to check into. I learn something new everyday. My car will be shipped, using Auto Transportation, it will be coming on a car carrier, door to door transport. Auto transportation is something I learned about, yesterday. It is a lot cheaper then what I was going to do. If, you are going to ship a car any where, use auto transportation, it takes the worries out of "How Am I Going To Get My Car???" And it is cheaper then towing or hauling long distance.

VALENA-)45
01-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Here is a link to Kelly Blue Book http://www.kbb.com/kbb/default.aspx?trid=20&psid=1-114-6429-5-1-3&gclid=CJS985KZ-5ACFSG8GgodTlVW1w
This is where people go to check to see what a car is worth. It is used everywhere. Car lots use them and I have even seen on tv court shows like Judge Judy etc that they use them also.
I can understand you wanting to keep your car but you might consider another one. I would imagine that it uses alot of gas. Maybe find something smaller and cheaper on gas. Good luck with whatever you do. My friend has a small car, he lets us borrow it when we have doctor appointments or other errands we may need to run, it is great on gas. Yes, Victoria uses a lot of gas, she is a big car, to me she is a tank, she can be hit and she will not fall apart, and she can still be driven, that is why I love old cars, they are big and they can take a licken and keep on ticken. Thanks, for your idea.

freeby4me
01-16-2008, 03:37 PM
My friend has a small car, he lets us borrow it when we have doctor appointments or other errands we may need to run, it is great on gas. Yes, Victoria uses a lot of gas, she is a big car, to me she is a tank, she can be hit and she will not fall apart, and she can still be driven, that is why I love old cars, they are big and they can take a licken and keep on ticken. Thanks, for your idea.

So how do you know it needs a new engine?

BeanieLuvR
01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Good luck!! I hope it doesn't cost too much to get your car fixed. I feel the same way about my 2000 Taurus. I love the car and would have no problems dropping a new engine in it. I put money into it this year fixing the brakes and fuel pump. You do what is right for you! :)

VALENA-)45
01-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Good luck!! I hope it doesn't cost too much to get your car fixed. I feel the same way about my 2000 Taurus. I love the car and would have no problems dropping a new engine in it. I put money into it this year fixing the brakes and fuel pump. You do what is right for you! :)Thanks.(((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs to you, and your car))))))))))))))))))))))))))

catdance
01-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Shoot, I know how you feel, I got rid of a 1998 Grand Prix, no rust, no accidents, not the the pretty car you see now, but a TANK, solid steel, if a newer car hit me, well I have no problems, it would be the other car, and it was perfect interior, and I sold it off for a cheap $600.00, I won in Vegas last year so I got a 2004 Blazer, bad idea, my Grand Prix was the greatest car, the Blazer, issue after issue, I just got greedy, I think.
So you take of your car, if you it is a "fit" for you, it is!
Bless you!

Shann
01-17-2008, 05:33 PM
So how do you know it needs a new engine?

:lol don't think she's going to answer you, she seems to answer every other person's post but yours.. maybe she's distracted by sweetie

freeby4me
01-17-2008, 05:38 PM
:lol don't think she's going to answer you, she seems to answer every other person's post but yours.. maybe she's distracted by sweetie

LMAO maybe I should ask again. Well as an old cop car, it probably does need a new engine but still, I was really curious as to how she needed that when she hasnt taken it to a shop to have it checked out LOL

VALENA-)45
01-17-2008, 07:26 PM
LMAO maybe I should ask again. Well as an old cop car, it probably does need a new engine but still, I was really curious as to how she needed that when she hasnt taken it to a shop to have it checked out LOLI'm sorry, here is my reply to you in two answers. 1. I thought the car needed an engine, and if it does I will still buy her one. When I spoke to a friend of mine today, he told me a lot about my car, he said the computer in the car will shut it down, to keep more damage from being done to the engine. when we get the car back he will check the car out for me, he will hook it up to a diagnostic computer and the computer in the car will tell him what's wrong with it. And "no", Sweetie has not distracted me from anything. No one can distract me from anything I need to do. I'm glad I could give you a laugh, at my expense. The next time you have a problem and you post it here in "Vent and Whine", I will read it and see if there is anything in it is funny, so I can laugh at your problems. No, I would not laugh at you for posting your problems. I have too much respect for posters, to laugh at their problems, cause if they are posting here then they need someone to help them. You have a nice evening.

VALENA-)45
01-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Shoot, I know how you feel, I got rid of a 1998 Grand Prix, no rust, no accidents, not the the pretty car you see now, but a TANK, solid steel, if a newer car hit me, well I have no problems, it would be the other car, and it was perfect interior, and I sold it off for a cheap $600.00, I won in Vegas last year so I got a 2004 Blazer, bad idea, my Grand Prix was the greatest car, the Blazer, issue after issue, I just got greedy, I think.
So you take of your car, if you it is a "fit" for you, it is!
Bless you!I know you miss your 98 Grand Prix, it must have been a great looking car. Look around, you may find another one, to fall in love with. Both of my cars are down, the other car is a 1990 Mercurey Sable, a station wagon, she was my first car and she is getting fixed when Sweetie gets his tax return. I can't wait to have a car that is running again.

earnhardt1
01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
sounds as if you need to get a reliable car that isnt broken..... jmo

freeby4me
01-17-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry, here is my reply to you in two answers. 1. I thought the car needed an engine, and if it does I will still buy her one. When I spoke to a friend of mine today, he told me a lot about my car, he said the computer in the car will shut it down, to keep more damage from being done to the engine. when we get the car back he will check the car out for me, he will hook it up to a diagnostic computer and the computer in the car will tell him what's wrong with it. And "no", Sweetie has not distracted me from anything. No one can distract me from anything I need to do. I'm glad I could give you a laugh, at my expense. The next time you have a problem and you post it here in "Vent and Whine", I will read it and see if there is anything in it is funny, so I can laugh at your problems. No, I would not laugh at you for posting your problems. I have too much respect for posters, to laugh at their problems, cause if they are posting here then they need someone to help them. You have a nice evening.

What the fuck? How about you go back and READ how many times I asked you this question. I can guarantee you I wouldnt ignore you three times if you asked me a question.
I also, dont give a fuck if you laugh at any of my problems. I was "haha" she's not answering me, not haha your car is broken. Big fucking difference.

And yes, from your previous posts, you can very easily be distracted by "sweetie" and everything he does so it REALLY DID seem like an obvious answer as to why you would answer EVERY OTHER COMMENT OR QUESTION stated except mine.

Sorry, next time I just wont give a fuck at all.

freeby4me
01-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Oh, one more thing.

Good luck finding a shop who will replace an engine in your car. The cost of doing that is MORE than the car is worth. Most places wont do something because they'd be screwed if you decided not to pay.

Just some food for thought.

EMSnurse
01-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Val, I hope it turns out to be a small problem. Congrats on figuring out the cheapest way to get her home. As far as your choice to repair rather than replace, it's your life and your car. If you add the price you paid for it and the cost of repairs, you'll still have a better car for less money than those who are in debt for newer ones. Do what you gotta do, girl.

VALENA-)45
01-17-2008, 08:47 PM
What the fuck? How about you go back and READ how many times I asked you this question. I can guarantee you I wouldnt ignore you three times if you asked me a question.
I also, dont give a fuck if you laugh at any of my problems. I was "haha" she's not answering me, not haha your car is broken. Big fucking difference.

And yes, from your previous posts, you can very easily be distracted by "sweetie" and everything he does so it REALLY DID seem like an obvious answer as to why you would answer EVERY OTHER COMMENT OR QUESTION stated except mine.

Sorry, next time I just wont give a fuck at all.I don't get distracted by anyone when it comes to something as important as my car and getting it back here and getting it fixed, distractions don't get the bill paid. By the way, I thought I was answering your questions, and answering some other questions at the same time in other peoples replies. I'm sorry if you wanted a single reply, and didn't get one. You seem to think that for me "Sweetie" is the be all and end all, he's not. I live this life everyday and some days he is not in it. When it comes to handling my business, I make the decisions, not "Sweetie". I was going to use that same "f" word back to you, but, I didn't see or feel the need too. I still gave you the respect, that you didn't give me, when you used the "F" word while repling to me.

freeby4me
01-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I can use the "F" word however I want.

You can "dis-respect" me however you want. I personally dont care. YOU were rude by ignoring me.
Someone else actually brought it up.

And now, whatever, I dont care.

VALENA-)45
01-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Val, I hope it turns out to be a small problem. Congrats on figuring out the cheapest way to get her home. As far as your choice to repair rather than replace, it's your life and your car. If you add the price you paid for it and the cost of repairs, you'll still have a better car for less money than those who are in debt for newer ones. Do what you gotta do, girl. Thanks, my cars are my children, that is why they will be repaired. older cars are better then some of the new ones. The new ones, like computer programs, still have some of the bugs in them, that's why they break down so much.

VALENA-)45
01-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh, one more thing.

Good luck finding a shop who will replace an engine in your car. The cost of doing that is MORE than the car is worth. Most places wont do something because they'd be screwed if you decided not to pay.

Just some food for thought.I do know a few mechanics, that will point me in the right direction, of someone that will not charge me and arm and both of my legs to put an engine in my car if I need one. I would never ask anyone to do something for me and not pay them, I treat people the way I want to be treated, not beat and cheat them, that's not right.

VALENA-)45
01-17-2008, 09:21 PM
I can use the "F" word however I want.

You can "dis-respect" me however you want. I personally dont care. YOU were rude by ignoring me.
Someone else actually brought it up.

And now, whatever, I dont care.Don't talk to me about being rude, you became very rude when you used the "F" word while replying to me. I told you in another reply that I answered some questions in replies to other posters, so I was not ignoring you, just because I didn't answer you personally. I try not to dis=respect people, cause dumb, stupid b.s., like this jumps up, and all hell breaks loose. To the Mods: I may be suspended for a few days for using cuss words, which I was trying not to do. I deserve it. I apologize, to you and everyone esle on this board.

evrita
01-18-2008, 01:22 AM
What I think is funny about this whole thing is you used the words cop car and treated good in the same sentence

PrincessArky
01-18-2008, 05:12 AM
I'm sorry, here is my reply to you in two answers. 1. I thought the car needed an engine, and if it does I will still buy her one. When I spoke to a friend of mine today, he told me a lot about my car, he said the computer in the car will shut it down, to keep more damage from being done to the engine. when we get the car back he will check the car out for me, he will hook it up to a diagnostic computer and the computer in the car will tell him what's wrong with it.

hey that reminds me of the time that we thought hubby had blown up our car the computer had shut everything down in that protection sort of mode. I cant remember what exactly was wrong with it now but will email him at work and see if he will tell me maybe that will be another lead for ya :)

freeby4me
01-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Don't talk to me about being rude, you became very rude when you used the "F" word while replying to me. I told you in another reply that I answered some questions in replies to other posters, so I was not ignoring you, just because I didn't answer you personally. I try not to dis=respect people, cause dumb, stupid b.s., like this jumps up, and all hell breaks loose. To the Mods: I may be suspended for a few days for using cuss words, which I was trying not to do. I deserve it. I apologize, to you and everyone esle on this board.

Ever since Jon and Brandon took over, YOU CAN USE SWEAR WORDS. and yes, YOU were rude first.

I think its funny now, you dont even bother looking at WHO is posting WHAT on your thread. You're all nice and sweet in one post TO ME, then snarly snarly in the next. Look at who is posting what next time eh?

earnhardt1
01-18-2008, 06:23 AM
i cant see a police car being treated well....... i mean have you ever seena police man pull up to a call going under the speed limit and babying the car?
jmo

ahippiechic
01-18-2008, 06:26 AM
i cant see a police car being treated well....... i mean have you ever seena police man pull up to a call going under the speed limit and babying the car?
jmo

They use different engines in the police cars too. Unless hers used to be one, I didn't read thru all the pages of crap.

earnhardt1
01-18-2008, 06:30 AM
They use different engines in the police cars too. Unless hers used to be one, I didn't read thru all the pages of crap.

she said it was before she bought it... lol so i cant see it being treated well by the police

ahippiechic
01-18-2008, 06:35 AM
she said it was before she bought it... lol so i cant see it being treated well by the police

I agree.

freeby4me
01-18-2008, 06:36 AM
A police engine is not treated well. They're left to idle for extended long periods of time, then they're gunned super hard for high speed chases.
Someone might think a "cop car" would be a good thing but they are in fact, money pits.

VALENA-)45
01-18-2008, 08:09 AM
A police engine is not treated well. They're left to idle for extended long periods of time, then they're gunned super hard for high speed chases.
Someone might think a "cop car" would be a good thing but they are in fact, money pits. I bought the car from a mechanic friend of mine, he bought the car from the police, I have had the car for over a year and this is the first problem that I have had with the car. So far she has not been "a money pit", cause I have not had to pay through the nose for a lot of repair work on her.

PrincessArky
01-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I bought the car from a mechanic friend of mine, he bought the car from the police, I have had the car for over a year and this is the first problem that I have had with the car. So far she has not been "a money pit", cause I have not had to pay through the nose for a lot of repair work on her.

hubby just emailed me back our car had just over heated and the computer had to be reset we had thought the engine was blown but it wasnt so maybe yours will be something little too :)

VALENA-)45
01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
hubby just emailed me back our car had just over heated and the computer had to be reset we had thought the engine was blown but it wasnt so maybe yours will be something little too :)I was going to answer your reply when I first saw this, but waited for your hubby to answer you. A bus driver friend told me the same thing. I have the original manual that the car manufacturer put in it. I have read that the car does this after the fact. Thanks to you and your hubby for the info and the help.

flute
01-18-2008, 12:42 PM
sounds as if you need to get a reliable car that isnt broken..... jmo

Hey some of us are doing all we can, here. I've got a 1992 Ford Festiva (god I so love that car!!!; I'm it's 3rd owner & it was my Aunies one & only vehicle she bought in 1993.); an 01 dodge dakota that we pay on; and a 96 chevy corsica that matt smashed into (thanks matt!) - that we have to replace. I might get $2K to replace it with (asking lawyer to help with that one; since they're selling on the lots for almost 10K) but my god I'm so scared we don't have good luck i'm just convinced what we buy will have more problems than the Chevy ever had! arg!!

Shann
01-18-2008, 02:38 PM
and a 96 chevy corsica that matt smashed into (thanks matt!) - that we have to replace. I might get $2K to replace it with (asking lawyer to help with that one; since they're selling on the lots for almost 10K)

:stunned :stunned :stunned :stunned flute, please don't take this as me bashing you, but I don't know what lot you're looking at b/c there is NO WAY that old of a car would sell for that much, I just did a search through auto trader and the most expensive one was about $6000 and only had 25,000 miles, the others are from $1000-$3000 I do see some at dealerships on that site for $5000 but there is no way I'd buy a cheapy car like a corsica for that much, if a salesman were to ever tell me that was the price I'd pee myself from laughter. Bottom line, those cars are not that great nor made that well for someone to get anywhere near $10k for it. They were made as an affordable car, there will never be a classic corsica parade... (and please, I know many ppl who have had corsicas so I'm quite familiar w/ this car)

heartlvrs
01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
go to craigslist and post in that area there are people that do it all the time:)

earnhardt1
01-18-2008, 02:57 PM
:stunned :stunned :stunned :stunned flute, please don't take this as me bashing you, but I don't know what lot you're looking at b/c there is NO WAY that old of a car would sell for that much, I just did a search through auto trader and the most expensive one was about $6000 and only had 25,000 miles, the others are from $1000-$3000 I do see some at dealerships on that site for $5000 but there is no way I'd buy a cheapy car like a corsica for that much, if a salesman were to ever tell me that was the price I'd pee myself from laughter. Bottom line, those cars are not that great nor made that well for someone to get anywhere near $10k for it. They were made as an affordable car, there will never be a classic corsica parade... (and please, I know many ppl who have had corsicas so I'm quite familiar w/ this car)

i was thinking the same thing as my mil had one and had full coverage when hers got totaled 2 years ago with only 35,000 miles on it and only got 1500 from insurance company..

ahippiechic
01-18-2008, 05:04 PM

My ex DH just got rid of our old '95 Corsica. I paid 500.00 for it 5 years ago and it has been a tough car, he used to drive a long way to work. But it finally died and now he has a 2007 Kia Rio. He paid around 12,000.00 for it.

Bahet
01-18-2008, 11:25 PM
My car, the 1992 ford crown victoria, broke down on the way to my sister's house in Brooklyn, ny. Was going there for a family emergancy. It first broke down on the highway, she just shut off. After sitting there for an hour she started back up, and we got the car off the highway. It cost sweetie and my sister $218.00 to flatbed the car to my sister's house. My Victoria has been sitting in Brooklyn, since 12/20, the car won't start, so it can't be driven, back to Albany. To flatbed it back, it will cost over $700.00, If, I use U-haul, to bring her back home, it will cost over $400.00, and $278 of that is for a 2 day rental of a truck that I only need to use for less then one day and i have asked them if there is a way that i can rent the truck for a one day rental instead of for two days and I was told all truck rentals are for two days and i won't get any of my rental money back. and U-haul don't do discounts. I need to get my car back, but i really can't afford to pay these high prices. can anyone come up with any other way i can get the car from nyc, back to albany, without paying an arm and three legs. thanks for all of your help.

3 years ago we moved from MI to AZ. We drove the minivan down here and had DH's car sent down on a one of those car hauler trucks. It cost about $400. I can't imagine that it would cost the same to get a car from Brooklyn to Albany as it would to get a car from MI to AZ.

tracey74
01-20-2008, 01:41 AM
valena have you asked uhaul if they have a place close to brooklyn where you can drop the truck off the same day? I know uhaul used to do that to where if you drove from one place and dropped it off at one of their other rental locations(we looked into it one time to go from one end of wv to the other) and it was a heck of a lot cheaper and wasnt required to rent it 2 days. other than that I have no clue on what you can do but we had a 1973 plymouth fury 3 that came from texas and was a police car as well(it was a 2 door) it had the original motor in it a V8 360 interceptor engine and my parents got it off a dealer here in wv and then it was given to us and had 200,00 when we got it and we put over 100,000 on it ourselves and the origial motor was still going. not much work was done on it just went thru a lot of motor mounts but it was a great car and a heck of a lot safer than these newer cars. someone ran into us when mom had the car and it dented the plymouth a little but tore the others persons car up badly. so I can see where you want to fix it even if others think its a dumb idea. those kinds of cars can last a long time even though they are hard on gas.