PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody else get this..is it for real or scam?

Mini
01-10-2008, 10:46 PM
I got this email...

Subject: Important Notification - Tax Refund

Body: After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that
you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $109.23.
Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-9 days in order to
process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here

Note: Deliberate wrong inputs will be prosecuted by law.

Regards,
Internal Revenue Service

I hovered over the link and it does NOT say IRS it says something else but it went to the IRS website and it has a link for the refund form so I clicked it and it goes to where you put in single,married,etc and the refund amount so I put it in and it goes to page where you have to put in a cc/debit # and ATM PIN # so they can add the funds or w/e. Do they really need your pin and since when do they add???? It smells like a scam and if it is isnt it really illegal to scam usin the IRS? But maybe its legit?

Airbuswife
01-10-2008, 10:48 PM
sounds like something i would DEFINITELY stay away from....

if you're not sure, forward the email to the irs, they will let you knwo for sure

Mini
01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Ok I did some searching on their website and it is a scam. Thought so but wasnt sure. I guess I should have looked before posting..if anyone else gets this email....

If you receive an unsolicited e-mail communication claiming to be from the IRS, please forward this message to: phishing@irs.gov

It is important that the original communication that was received is included, as well as Internet headers.

Kimberly61
01-11-2008, 12:42 AM
I got the same email in my junk mail and I just deleted it before even opening it

janelle
01-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the info. If anyone wants your personal CC numbers it is something to stay away from. No web site will contact you for that kind of personal info.

freeby4me
01-11-2008, 04:50 AM
The IRS will never send you e-mails, so its a scam. Smart idea to search around a bit!

myspirit
01-11-2008, 05:02 AM
Scam, beware! Forward email to your ISP provider!!

hblueeyes
01-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Have youever tried calling the IRS. They never answer the phone so I doubt they would send emails.

Me

metro
01-11-2008, 05:42 AM
It's a scam!! IRS doesn't send emails that I know of, they send letters. DH got one of these in his email and I think the amount was the same and everything!

cabby92
01-11-2008, 06:25 AM
It is a scam. We were warned about it at the biginning of the tax year.

hunny
01-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Ive never heard of the IRS sending out emails. I think its got to be a scam.

Willow
01-11-2008, 09:04 AM
I got one this morning but it told me that I was owed over $400. LOL It's definitely a scam.