PDA

View Full Version : Boiling bottles???

Urban Cowgirl
01-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Now maybe this seems like a stupid question.....

I just bought the Medela breastpump and in the instructions it says to boil the parts that come in contact with your breast or breast milk before the first use. But after that it only recommends washing with soap and water.

I find this interesting since I always thought you had to boil your bottles between uses. I called Medela and they confirmed there is no need to boil the breastpump parts between uses. Am I the only one that boils their bottles anymore? Is just soap and water adequate for bottles as well? TIA

RNB16
01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I can honestly say that I only boiled my bottles the 1st few times I used them with my first child. My younger two kids I did not, they were washed in a dishwasher.

dixiechicken
01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't know that answer, would be interested in hearing from the Mommas since I have about 7 weeks to go until my first arrives. Did you get a good deal on your Medela? I have been pining over one for awhile but don't have any extra $300 laying around :(

ladybugva
01-07-2008, 06:59 PM
I can honestly say that I only boiled my bottles the 1st few times I used them with my first child. My younger two kids I did not, they were washed in a dishwasher.

Me to. Dishwashers get them hot enough.

JKATHERINE
01-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Boiling for the first time is adequate, but I wash my pump stuff (and bottles) in a tub of hot, soapy water with a bottle brush. None of my children have had any issues or illnesses because of this. Save yourself some trouble. :)

Eyore
01-07-2008, 07:21 PM
When I had my first child back in 1979 they told me then just to use hot soapy water and rinse well. I didn't have a dishwasher. That is all I did with my first child and when I had my second child I just washed them good in hot soapy water. Even with my granddaughter who lives her with her mom, I washed her bottles in hot soapy water then when I got a dishwasher would wash them in it. I would rerinse her bottles and nipples though when they came out of the dishwasher just to make sure there was no soap residue on them.

Faithfully
01-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Dishwashers are just fine, unless you don't have one.
Then I would boil them.
IMO

diana_circe
01-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I boiled the regular bottles the first time, then I just washed them regularly. I only use pure hot when I do the dishes. I quit boiling every time when my youngest son got thrush. Thankfully I was able to breastfeed my youngest two, so we didn't deal much with bottles.

MOM2B2003
01-07-2008, 09:48 PM
I did not boil my pump parts between uses until my youngest got thrush really bad (and I got it on the nipples, too!!) Then I had to do everything within my power to rid both of us of it since we kept passing it back and forth. Believe me, it hurt worse than labor!!

As a side note, if either one of you ever gets thrush, discard all milk pumped before treatment began (and make sure they treat both mother and baby simutaneously), boil all breast pump parts, boil all nipples (and pacifiers if you use them but not until after breastfeeding is firmly established), and soak/wash all your bras in bleach water (breastpads, too, if they are not the disposable ones).

I would also like to say "kudos" to you for choosing to breastfeed!! I breastfed both DS for the first 12 months, and I think it was the best thing I could have done for them. You can get through thrush if it happens, but you have to be determined if you get a really bad, stubborn case like we did.

Best of luck and enjoy your new little bundle of joy!!!

Urban Cowgirl
01-08-2008, 07:12 AM
I don't know that answer, would be interested in hearing from the Mommas since I have about 7 weeks to go until my first arrives. Did you get a good deal on your Medela? I have been pining over one for awhile but don't have any extra $300 laying around :(

Babies r Us had it on sale for $269 reg $319. Anya is one month old and I just bought the pump. I waited because I was not able to breastfeed my first, so I did not want to spend the money until I knew I was going to be able to breastfeed this time. Luckily its going well. I was using an advent manual pump that the hospital gave me..it was junk!

Anya's doctor says the Medela manual pump is great, but I did not want to try that. I figure the electric is much faster.

I figure if I didn't get DH in on some night time feedings, I might start using formula, so really the pump will pay for itself in what I save in not buying formula. Will you qualify for WIC? I don't, but some of my friends do, and if they were breastfeeding WIC rented them a hospital grade pump.

You might want to check out EBAY. I could have gotten a better price there. BUT with my luck there would have been problems with it and I wasn't sure what kind of support Medela would give if I purchased on EBAy. I will try selling mine when I am done to get some of my Money back. Looks like you can get about $100 for them used. I think that is great.

Also before you buy check with your hospital to see what kind of pump they will give you. Jkat's gave her a medela pump and included it in the hospital bill to her insurance.....I think that is great!

cathych
01-08-2008, 07:26 AM
I graduated from Nursing School in 1979, they said then that boiling was unnecessary. After all, you don't boil your dishes do you? And you certainly don't boil your breast, lol! Babies live in a world that is not sterile. I used disposable bottles myself.

Heidi
01-08-2008, 08:12 AM
The only time I boiled bottles or nipples for my daughter was when they were brand new. After that they went in the dishwasher with everything else. Even with that my daughter's pediatrician told me she was "too clean". I was giving her a bath every day (something about sitting in her own poop made me feel she couldn't ever get clean) and her ped. told me to stop. Give her a bath every 2-3 days or her immune system will be crap. Apparently it is better for kids to get some germs on them at times.