PDA

View Full Version : Lexapro

kygirl71
01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here takes Lexapro? After my first DD was born, alittle over 10 years ago, I went thru a bad round of depression w/ anxiety attacks. My Dr. put me on Celexa after trying several antidepressants with a combination of Lorezepam. With these 2 drugs, I was able to get my life back. After 6 years, I got pregnant with DD 2. They jerked me off these drugs super quick and I was in hopes of never having to return to them. But thats not the case. DD 2 is now 3 1/2 years old and Im having some major panic attacks. My nerves just give me fits on a daily basis. So dr suggested trying Lexapro this time. I know its celexa's successor and suppose to be a much better drug. But I took it for 3 days and the entire time, my head just felt like it was in a fog. I finally stopped taking it. Havent had the extra money to go back to the dr and see what she would do about it. (Dr visits here are $75 and I have no insurance. ) So I was wondering if anybody else used this drug and if it had made any of you feel "foggy". TIA.

Angel~Chihuahua
01-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I take lexapro for depression. Have been on it for about 4 months or so now. I take 10mg once a day. The first week or so that I was taking it, i felt the same way you did, like i was in a fog. I was going to stop but i figured i would give it one more week, just in case it was just my body adjusting to it. Thats all it took. my body adjusted to it, and then i was, and am still fine, no longer feel like i'm in a fog, or feel out of it, not my normal self. Take it for another week and see how you feel. Hopefully for you, your body will adjust to it. It's a great drug for these situations.

kygirl71
01-05-2008, 11:16 PM
I take lexapro for depression. Have been on it for about 4 months or so now. I take 10mg once a day. The first week or so that I was taking it, i felt the same way you did, like i was in a fog. I was going to stop but i figured i would give it one more week, just in case it was just my body adjusting to it. Thats all it took. my body adjusted to it, and then i was, and am still fine, no longer feel like i'm in a fog, or feel out of it, not my normal self. Take it for another week and see how you feel. Hopefully for you, your body will adjust to it. It's a great drug for these situations.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Maybe I should give it awhile longer. Thanks for this info. Greatly appreciated!

Mom2Shaun
01-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Yup, I'm on it and am sooooo grateful to live when these drugs are available! I find it a life saver! (Literally; I'm sure I would have strangled my husband if I didn't have it! LOL!)

suprtruckr
01-06-2008, 06:55 AM
i've been taking it for a couple years or more, it's kept me normal? LOL with all this we're going thru with my dad

PrincessArky
01-06-2008, 07:26 AM
whatever you try or dont try I just wanted to say I hope that things get better for you soon :)

Lynniesmom
01-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Try taking the Lexapro at night before bed. I was on it for two years, and felt the same way the first couple of days, then started taking it at night and that made all the difference in the world. It took about a week for it to start working for me, but I do believe that taking it was one of the best decisions I ever made!

hunny
01-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I tried it, and OMG that was the worst week of my life. I couldnt sleep, had tremors and felt suicidal. After i stopped taking it i felt much better.

Lynniesmom
01-06-2008, 09:37 AM
double post somehow. sorry

diana_circe
01-06-2008, 09:39 AM
I take buspar and my doc wants me to try the lexapro, but like you I don't have the $$ to get into the doctor to get the med changed and get the script. I've heard a lot of good things about lexapro. I know the buspar messes with my ears, I know that sounds weird but its like my eardrums vibrate, its bizarre.

Good luck, I hope you stop feeling foggy soon!

buglebe
01-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I took lexapro for about 2 months. I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking if I just gave it a little more time it would get better but it didn't. I got off of it and changed to another one. My daughter took lexapro too. She calls it evil. LOL
They are just all different for us. You just have to try to see which one you can or can't take. I took prozac for 20 years and it finally quit on me. Sadly they say if you have an episode of depression as an adult that you usually have to take an antidepressant continuously. I know that isn't true of everyone but anytime I have gone off mine, I get suicidal. I have tried to get off a couple of times but now I know I will just stay on one.

tarbabie
01-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I take Lexapro right before bed and I sleep like a baby- usually...helps me to relax...I have been on 20mg for over 2 years...I get very cranky when I don't take it...

kygirl71
01-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Buspar is one of the drugs that they tried me on when they were experimenting with drugs on me. Buspar did nothing for me at all. They also tried Wellbutrin, Paxil and finally Celexa worked for me. I called it my "wonder drug". I got my life back. I had alot going on with me when I was pregnant with DD1. They thought I had a brain tumor, then they thought I had MS. So it was test after test after test. Then I had eclampsia when DD was born. I started having panic attacks when DD was 2 months old. Then when she was 13 months old, my father died and it just sent me over the edge, I guess you could say. I went to my room and I stayed there for a year. Only coming out to go to the Dr. Mom raised DD for me that year. Celexa helped me.

Does anyone else's nerves make them really dizzy? When my nerves get tore up, I get so dizzy its awful.

diana_circe
01-06-2008, 12:57 PM
When I have my panic attacks I can't sit still. I have this overwhelming need to do something, move... anything but sit where I am. I can handle it at home, I can take a pill and relax, or get up and do something till I chill out. But when it happens at work its awful. I get really freaked out and almost physically ill and I feel like I just need to be at home. I've noticed when I am stressed about money I have them more often. Buspar does help me out, but the thing with my ears drives me insane. I've never really felt dizzy tho, which is probably good since I get motion sick since I was pregnant with my youngest dd, if I get dizzy I'll yak.

When I first started having issues with my gall bladder they gave me vicodin for the pain, and when I felt that pain creeping up I would pop half a vicodin and found it did so much more for my panic attacks than the buspar. Now that I've broken my foot I'm being stingy with the pain meds since I know that if I start having a really major freak out half a pill will calm me down much better than the buspar without the vibration in my ears.

hunny
01-06-2008, 02:20 PM
My panic disorder makes me super dizzy, I have a fear that i will faint or pass out and die. It sucks, and i dont want to take meds. I have alot of self help books that i read when i feel bad (it helps sometimes). I feel off balance alot also. I hope whatever you decide to do, you feel better soon, I know how bad panic attacks and anxiety can be.

kygirl71
01-06-2008, 03:52 PM
My panic disorder makes me super dizzy, I have a fear that i will faint or pass out and die. It sucks, and i dont want to take meds. I have alot of self help books that i read when i feel bad (it helps sometimes). I feel off balance alot also. I hope whatever you decide to do, you feel better soon, I know how bad panic attacks and anxiety can be.

I am so glad that you posted this. My doctor told me that nerves wouldnt make ya have dizzy spells. But I have ALOT of dizziness and I am off balance alot also. This makes me feel better. All of a sudden, my nerves have really been giving me a fit and I know there is something bothering me Im just not sure what it is. Isnt that weird? Things can bother you and you not even be aware of it? I have noticed this in the past. Cause when its all over, I calm down. I think I know whats bothering me, but I dont know when that will ever end. My 10 year old DD is not wanting to go to school. Has been giving me a fit, all of this year. She wont cooperate and has been being late alot. I received a letter from them about Truancy. I think that is what has my nerves all in a tizzy.

evrita
01-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I know you said you didnt have insurance but did your doc also send you to someone to learn how to deal with the panic attacks along with giving the meds?

buglebe
01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I am so glad that you posted this. My doctor told me that nerves wouldnt make ya have dizzy spells. But I have ALOT of dizziness and I am off balance alot also. This makes me feel better. All of a sudden, my nerves have really been giving me a fit and I know there is something bothering me Im just not sure what it is. Isnt that weird? Things can bother you and you not even be aware of it? I have noticed this in the past. Cause when its all over, I calm down. I think I know whats bothering me, but I dont know when that will ever end. My 10 year old DD is not wanting to go to school. Has been giving me a fit, all of this year. She wont cooperate and has been being late alot. I received a letter from them about Truancy. I think that is what has my nerves all in a tizzy.

Yes nerves makes me dizzy and have balance problems. And yes it is strange how you can think you are handling things so well only to find out that you aren't. I have crohns and even when I think I am handling something so good, my crohns will tell me differently.

kygirl71
01-06-2008, 05:21 PM
I know you said you didnt have insurance but did your doc also send you to someone to learn how to deal with the panic attacks along with giving the meds?

When all this happened after DD 1 was born, I had insurance so yes, they did send me to counseling. Went for several months til the counselor moved his office to a town an hour and a half away.

ang in NC
01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I've been taking lexapro for about 4 yrs now, I don't think it is working anymore. But it helped me alot. Best of Luck to you. Depression is some bad stuff.

flute
01-06-2008, 07:25 PM
My sister has been depressed for a little bit now but I forgot the drug she is taking.

Personally I like xanax when I get down, or need to calm down. Don't take it often.

hunny
01-06-2008, 07:55 PM
The dizzy feeling comes from overbreathing. There are alot of books that can teach you breathing retraining. I over breath and am totally unaware of it, somethimes i even skip breaths. I haved learned that regular physicians are not the people to talk to about panic disorder, a psychiatrist or therapist is much better they are trained specifically to know the symptoms.

Bliss
01-09-2008, 12:28 PM
I would agree Lexapro is evil (well, most of those drugs are evil.) As awful as this is going to sound - my sons grandmother was taking Lexapro for a short time after trying several other antidepressants, she ended up pouring gasoline on herself and catching herself on fire. No one was home at the time she set herself a blaze, her neighbors just watched her burn to death.

I would not take any of those types of meds. It's weird how people do drugs to feel "out of their minds" and take meds to feel normal.

tarbabie
01-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I would agree Lexapro is evil (well, most of those drugs are evil.) As awful as this is going to sound - my sons grandmother was taking Lexapro for a short time after trying several other antidepressants, she ended up pouring gasoline on herself and catching herself on fire. No one was home at the time she set herself a blaze, her neighbors just watched her burn to death.

I would not take any of those types of meds. It's weird how people do drugs to feel "out of their minds" and take meds to feel normal.

Think it depends on the person and their situation. Lexapro and I get along well. When I don't take it (run out before the end of the month) I feel really out of control and anger easily. Just ask my kids...LOL!

flute
01-09-2008, 01:19 PM
All meds affect people differently. So sorry for your sons (and your) loss Bliss ((hugs))

4diego
01-09-2008, 01:26 PM
My mother, my dd (17), and myself all were on Lexapro at one point or another and it caused suicidal thoughts, etc... in all of us. I've been on Cymbalta now for over a year and it really works great for me. If I go off of it for more than a few days though, I have unbearable dizziness. The Lexapro really worries me after seeing what it did to me and my family! Be careful.

sunniekiss
01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here takes Lexapro? After my first DD was born, alittle over 10 years ago, I went thru a bad round of depression w/ anxiety attacks. My Dr. put me on Celexa after trying several antidepressants with a combination of Lorezepam. With these 2 drugs, I was able to get my life back. After 6 years, I got pregnant with DD 2. They jerked me off these drugs super quick and I was in hopes of never having to return to them. But thats not the case. DD 2 is now 3 1/2 years old and Im having some major panic attacks. My nerves just give me fits on a daily basis. So dr suggested trying Lexapro this time. I know its celexa's successor and suppose to be a much better drug. But I took it for 3 days and the entire time, my head just felt like it was in a fog. I finally stopped taking it. Havent had the extra money to go back to the dr and see what she would do about it. (Dr visits here are $75 and I have no insurance. ) So I was wondering if anybody else used this drug and if it had made any of you feel "foggy". TIA.

I probably went through almost every antidepressant & they might work for a few months but the anxiety attacks would start up again. I was finally put on Xanax & that worked like a miracle. I started off taking 3 pills/day but now I usually only take one/day. There are days when I don't even take any but those are mostly on weekends.
I know what you mean by that "foggy" feeling. Eventually you just get used to it I suppose.
If you need help paying for medications you should look into www.needymeds.com
Good Luck

hunny
01-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Yea Xanax does work great and is fast acting, But it is EXTREMELY addicting and is only meant for occassional use. Withdrawl from Xanax can kill you.

sunniekiss
01-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Yea Xanax does work great and is fast acting, But it is EXTREMELY addicting and is only meant for occassional use. Withdrawl from Xanax can kill you.

See now I discussed this with my doctor last month & he said that since I am usually only taking .5mg one/day I can be on that for the rest of my life w/o any problems.
I usually onlt take one in the morning but if I get that "overwhelmed" feeling I sometimes get then I might take a second. I usually don't even take one on the weekends since I don't have to work. No work=no STRESS :rofl:

kygirl71
01-09-2008, 04:18 PM
See thats why I hate taking any meds. I am very skiddish about trying any meds that Ive never took before. I did take the Celexa for 6 years and it done wonders for me. So I think I prefer just going back to that. The only side effects I ever had from that were (sexual ) and I dealt with that. I know I need something. Meds just SCARE ME.

ang in NC
01-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Everybody has a drug somehow,some it is pills, others money, others sex.
You have to do what is right for you.

ttistin
01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I was on Lexapro for about a year. It worked wonders for me. My dh and kids could not stand to be near me before I took it, It was really bad. Since we moved to Alabama our insurance changed and I had to change to zoloft. I sometimes think it doesnt work as well as lexapro but it helps.

If I don't take it for a few days my kids will ask me about it cause I become a "witch" lol that is what they call me.

When I first started on Lexapro I am pretty sure it did cause some fogginess for a while but it got better and I felt a little more "normal"