PDA

View Full Version : Heartbroken

Memedav
01-05-2008, 06:23 PM
I just had one of the worst experiences of my life and it has seriously made me realize how pathetic some people are. I went to the grocery store this evening and when I came back to my van, there sat a medium sized dog. I guess someone had dropped a dozen eggs and she had found her dinner for the night. So I was petting her and she was such a sweetie, so I went back in the store and got 2 cans of dog food and fed it to her. I was going to load her up and take her home but I noticed that she was full of milk and had probably just recently had a litter of puppies.

I swear I got in my van and heard a loud noise and looked up and a woman in a big SUV had hit her, she stopped for probably 5 seconds and just stayed on her cellphone and just went right along. She was trying to cross a busy 2 lane boulevard. She lay in the road yelping and cars just kept driving over and around her. On the other side of the road was a huge church and I guess they were having a wake/funeral because people were just stepping right over her and continuing on their merry way.

So I went to cross the road, praying to the Lord I didn't get ran over. She was in such agony and there was no way I was going to let that precious animal suffer in the middle of the road. I was able to pull her off to the side of the road and I sat there with her for 20 minutes until she passed on. She just licked my hand while I rubbed her head. What in the world is wrong with people? I could kick myself for not just taking her on home with me, but was worried about the puppies. I am physically ill over this. My husband and I went back to look around the church for the puppies, since she was headed in that direction. We looked for nearly 2 hours and didn't see/hear anything. We did bring her home to bury in our yard though.

I just had to get it off my chest, sorry to ramble on and on. I'm so thankful that I didn't have my girls with me, they would have just been crushed. Thanks for listening everyone.

buglebe
01-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Bless your heart! I am so glad you were kind enough to do this for this poor dog. I don't understand people either. Not one of those people would ever admit to doing what they did. Lack of caring seems to be everywhere but you are from NYC. Is that typical for NYC. I 've heard tales how people will actually step over people on the sidewalk there but when I have visited I have found people to be very kind and friendly.

BlueBerriTerri
01-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Oh God, I am so sorry. You have such a good heart for taking care of that dog---she knew it, even in her dying moments. People really are self absorbed and heartless these days---not just with animals but with each other, too.

BlueBerriTerri
01-05-2008, 06:43 PM
I live in NYC too, and being from Louisiana---it was a huge culture shock coming here. People are really kind of indifferent, and some are just downright mean. I have heard some of the rudest comments made to people after I moved here.

Memedav
01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Bless your heart! I am so glad you were kind enough to do this for this poor dog. I don't understand people either. Not one of those people would ever admit to doing what they did. Lack of caring seems to be everywhere but you are from NYC. Is that typical for NYC. I 've heard tales how people will actually step over people on the sidewalk there but when I have visited I have found people to be very kind and friendly.

Actually I am in WV right now (this is where I am originally from) I must admit though that many many NY'ers love their animals much more than actual people. You very seldom see a stray animal in NY, except for places that aren't right in the heart of Manhattan. The strays are abundant here in WV, it's so sad too. My husband recently found a beagle and we took him in, but had to find him a home elsewhere. We have a chihuahua in the house (you can barely see her in my avatar) and he was just so much bigger and stronger than her, she stayed a nervous wreck while he was here. Most NY'ers are friendly and helpful...they just kinda mind their own business. We had the same neighbors for 4 years and never even met them.....which isn't necessarily a bad thing at times :c) Also, TY for your sweet words.

iluvmybaby
01-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Call the police that is a HIT AND RUN and is a crime. Did you get their tag number? This is SO sad!!! I am so glad you were not hurt. My dog being hit by a car is my biggest fear

flute
01-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes animal cruelty for sure!
So sorry you were witness ((Hugs)) Kind of you to do the right thing!

ilovecats
01-05-2008, 07:13 PM
People like you make up for the idiots in this world.At least that dog felt some love in her last moments of life,so glad you were there for her.

cubsgirl21
01-05-2008, 07:16 PM
You did a wonderful thing by feeding her and showing her love in her last moments. I just wish there were more people like you.

heartlvrs
01-05-2008, 07:34 PM
i am bawling....i hate hate hate anyone who mistreats animals in ANY way!!!! thanks for trying hon....I wonder where the pups are? They will starve:( At lease mama had a kind touch by you before passing. I am involved in GSD rescues and use to be a humane society cruelty investigator.

Unicornmom77
01-05-2008, 07:41 PM
We have a chihuahua in the house (you can barely see her in my avatar)

I did not notice her until I read this post...

You did an extremely kind thing, I cannot imagine having that happen. Reading that made me tear up. Its to bad people have become so insensitive to everything and anything around them.

You may want to post something near the store about the dog in case she was someones pet, maybe if you call your local paper they would run an ad for you for free becuase of the nature of the incident.

atprm
01-05-2008, 08:27 PM
this is so sad! :(

I am not a dog lover, but I don't hate them either. I am glad that you did at least the best that you could for the dog.

There is a lot to wonder "what is wrong with people" for animal's sakes, for children's sakes or for elderly's sakes.

As much as I hate to say this, I am sure that this will not be the only incident to happen like this to either animal or human -- some people just are too wrapped up in their own world to give a rat's ass about anyone else ... and that is truly the SADDEST part of the whole scenario.

YankeeMary
01-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I can't imagine how you are feeling. I appreciate the love for that dog that you had. My heart just feels very heavy at the moment. I cry not only for the loss of that poor doggie but also for the idiot that first hit her. What has to happen in ones life that a dog means nothing to them? How sad for her. I know that you were beyond upset but its just to bad you didn't get her plate number a HUGE fine might make her hang the damn phone up, it could have easily been a child. I pray that you will find comfort in knowing you did the best you could. If I were a doggie I would want you in my corner. HUGS!!!

Beso
01-05-2008, 09:31 PM
My heart goes out to you. Most would not have done what you did.

cabby92
01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
What a sad story. Just think,though. That dog probably had more love and kindness in her last half hour than she had in a long time, if ever. You were very kind.

sill ahh
01-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Call the police that is a HIT AND RUN and is a crime. Did you get their tag number? This is SO sad!!! I am so glad you were not hurt. My dog being hit by a car is my biggest fear

It isn't a crime in this state to run over an animal and leave, I wish it was though. Wv is probably the worst state when it comes to enacting or enforcing animal cruelty laws. This state is also bad about stray animals and enforcing leash laws.

I stop when I see a hurt animal, whether it be a domestic or wild animal, to the point that I'm on a first name basis with the emergency vets office and the local wild life rescue. Like someone else said you showed more love and compassion to that poor dog, then it had probably known in it's life.

janelle
01-06-2008, 01:48 AM
That is horrible!!!

Are you good at writing up the story? You did a good job on here. I would write it up and send it to the paper. Then go to that church and tell the pastor what happened and get the people to look for the puppies---like tomorrow.

If it was a person from his church they would get the message on how heartless they are.

Maybe your paper could make an issue of it and get something done in your community to help homeless animals. Make a point in your story about homeless animals and how badly they are treated in your state. That is the only way people will change.

PrincessArky
01-06-2008, 06:15 AM
OMG now I am in tears because I just feel so badly for any strays without a home but what this woman did is just disgusting and I swear I hope that it comes back to her one day. As one animal lover to another I want to thank you for staying with her until she passed away and for taking her home and burying her..........the animal world needs more ppl like you

Army-Mom
01-06-2008, 07:20 AM
That made me cry..so glad you stayed with her untill she passed and she wasnt alone.

Madeline_
01-06-2008, 07:35 AM
This is so sad. Bless you for taking the time to comfort her. I can't stop crying about how people can abuse dogs or any animal. I hope someone finds the puppies.

Memedav
01-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks so much everyone. I feel better this morning knowing that at least she isn't suffering. But I swear I thought about her everyone I woke up last night. Yes, sadly it isn't a "big deal" in WV if you run over a animal. We have some people who live below us who keep their dogs chained up with no shelter or food half the time. I called the local humane office (this is a very small/rural town) and the humane officer is actually also the dog catcher for the only local pound. They put animals to death after 3 days, unless they are a full-blooded breed, then they have 5 days because they are more likely to be someone's pet (according to them). My Dad ended up making a dog house for the animals next door.

I didn't get the woman's tag number and honestly my first instinct was just focusing on the dog. My brother is going back with me this morning to look for the puppies again, they should be plenty hungry and loud. So hopefully we will have better luck. I'm also going to take Janelle's advice and write up a "letter to the editor" for the local paper.

Also, Unicornmom thank you for the suggestion, I honestly had not even thought about it. But I think I will draw up some type of picture or something and post it around that area. She was very tame, though she didn't have a collar on. She was afraid to be petted at all. She was really scrawny, but having just had a litter of pups I have heard that most dogs (just like us) don't look their best right afterwards even when taken care of.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions, I'll let you know later if I have new puppies at my house :itsme:

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-06-2008, 08:10 AM
I hope you find her litter. How sad.

April78945
01-06-2008, 10:22 AM
That is one of the saddest things I have ever read. You are a wonderful person and thankfully that dog had someone like you to hold her during her last moments. I hope you find those puppies too.
Brings back memories for me too. I was driving late one night (I was about 17) and a person in front of me hit a cat and just kept on driving. I pulled over and there was nothing I could do, I even tried mouth to snout on it..but the back half of the poor thing was stuck to the pavement.
How people can be so cruel and indifferent to animals is beyond me.

Again, sorry you had to be the one to see all that but happy for the dog to have had you near.
*hugs*

ma4angels
01-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Bless your sweet heart. That was a really nice thing you did. I don't understand people that could do that. It would serve that person right if they did get charged with something.

Njean31
01-06-2008, 01:22 PM
that bitch. hopefully karma will get her. poor dog, you have to be a cold person to hit an animal and just drive off and leave it dying in the road.

karefree
01-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I couldn't even read your entire post. I am so sorry for you and for the life that was lost. People will pay for how they treat all of Gods creatures one day.

Shann
01-06-2008, 02:11 PM
that bitch. hopefully karma will get her. poor dog, you have to be a cold person to hit an animal and just drive off and leave it dying in the road.

This is exactly what I was thinking. This absolutely breaks my heart. There is no way I could have hit an animal and just left it there... I surely hope karma bites her in the ass hard :mad: You are a wonderful person for doing that and I sure hope you and your bro can find the puppies. I will never understand how someone can get an animal love it for awhile and then throw it away like garbage.

Madeline_
01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
I will never understand how someone can get an animal love it for awhile and then throw it away like garbage.
I don't believe that they ever loved it to start with. We are the caretakers of animals. If we can't do it, then get someone who can.

Memedav
01-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Well still no puppies today. We looked for several hours and couldn't find anything. Who knows how far she traveled to find some food. I did put up some printed fliers though and also put some on the Kroger bulletin board. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again everyone for your sweet words.

Kelsey1224
01-06-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm sitting here crying for that poor dog. I'm glad she had someone to love her in her final minutes. What is wrong with people?

moe265
01-06-2008, 04:52 PM
How very sad. Bless you for staying with her.

Trishntx
01-06-2008, 06:53 PM
This is such a sad story and probably very common. I too am a rescuer of strays. I will risk life and limb to save dog, cat, or turtle in the street or highway. YOu talk about people with little care or concern for animals, there was a story here in Houston the other day about a 12 year old boy that had been hit in the freeway and not sure what people thought it was but they just kept running over it. The police finally made it out 4 hours later and shut down about 2 miles of highway for "clean up." I had also read that there were numerous calls made for "something in the road." Now how sick is that, that people can't even be concerned enough to stop and CHECK!!!! Hello, dogs and raccoons don't wear clothes. THat bothered me for days and days. A 12-year old child.

ma4angels
01-06-2008, 08:33 PM
This is such a sad story and probably very common. I too am a rescuer of strays. I will risk life and limb to save dog, cat, or turtle in the street or highway. YOu talk about people with little care or concern for animals, there was a story here in Houston the other day about a 12 year old boy that had been hit in the freeway and not sure what people thought it was but they just kept running over it. The police finally made it out 4 hours later and shut down about 2 miles of highway for "clean up." I had also read that there were numerous calls made for "something in the road." Now how sick is that, that people can't even be concerned enough to stop and CHECK!!!! Hello, dogs and raccoons don't wear clothes. THat bothered me for days and days. A 12-year old child.

OH My Lord A 12 Year boy. What the h-ll is wrong with people. Is there life just going to fast to try and find out what they hit. How sick is that. I hope that everyone who hit that child rots in H-ll. That just makes me really angry and what to cry at the same time.

ang in NC
01-06-2008, 08:43 PM
God never lets a good deed go unnotice.Thanks for taking care of her.

myspirit
01-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Brightest Blessings 4 U. Thank You for showing her love and compassion. I live in Arkansas and it kills me the way some people treat animals out here. I just wish I could rescue them all. We've got 10 dogs, one cat and counting.

shellysms
01-07-2008, 10:20 AM
awwww that was so sad. I'm glad you were with her. :(

Aloha from paradise
01-07-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm sitting here crying just from reading your post. I'm a big animal lover and it breaks my heart to read your post. You are a wonderful person to do what you did for that poor dog. I would have done the same thing. We have a lot of stray cats and chickens on the island and people go out of their way to try and hit them. I've lost track of how many baby chicks I've brought home and raised until they were big enough to be released up at the golf course. I still go up and feed them as do other people. I brake for any kind of animal I see in the road. Sure makes a lot of the locals mad but I don't care. If I see a dead chicken in the middle of the road I'll stop and move it to the side. I'm a true believer in Karma and what goes around comes around. She will get what she deserves one of these days. Like someone else said "Bitch". We also have ferral cats that hang out at Walmart and every time I go into the store I buy extra food for the ferral cats. You should see the dirty looks I get from some people when I put the food down for them. I also buy bags of bird seed and feed the chickens that hang out at the store. Now that really pisses people off but when you see a Momma chick with all her babies looking for food it breaks my heart. I do it because it makes me feel good and if people don't like it that's their problem. We need more people like you and I'd like to say thank you for doing what you did. At least that poor dog didn't die alone. God bless you.

freeby4me
01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh my gosh, I dont know how I missed this post before. Wow i've got tears running down my face right now. How awful for the poor dog, (((hugs))) for you for being such a sweetie for her.