PDA

View Full Version : Who has the nicest people?

PrincessArky
01-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I got to thinking after reading about what is so great about our home states what do you love about other states????

I havent really traveled much in the past few years but I have to say I really do find most all of the ppl in Memphis to be pretty friendly. There are some states where I swear they dont fix a road or have one descent driver but I am trying to be nice here lol

BigLyd1
01-03-2008, 01:42 PM
There are some states where I swear they dont fix a road or have one descent driver but I am trying to be nice here lol

It's okay, you can say it... California. There are some nice people here and once in a while you find some decent and even polite drivers. I think I came across a couple last month. LOL

karefree
01-03-2008, 01:43 PM
I haven't been that many places myself....I went to California and thought the weather was great. It never rained while I was there and I loved star sightings. Utah was nice because of the scenery, the people and it was really easy to get a great tan there. Alabama is very close to me so it is almost like home. I love the cotton fields that are still over there in abundance. They are really pretty to look at but from what I understand you would never want to pick by hand. Florida is next door too and it is a nice place to visit. They have a lot of vacation sites that are great fun with kids. I am looking forward to Disney with my grandson. NC and SC are almost like home as well. I went to Ohio once and while the plane ride was the scariest of my life the people were nice and friendly. I stopped over at Chicago's O'Hare and it was the best laid out airport I have ever seen! I think that is about it though. I think there are good people and good things about just about everywhere. My sister loves history as thinks Boston is the tops.

DezaRay24
01-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Haha Not UTAH!~~
People here are freakin rude! I too have fallen in being rude at times but living in other places has made me try harder to be nicer. :itsme:

PrincessArky
01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
I haven't been that many places myself....I went to California and thought the weather was great. It never rained while I was there and I loved star sightings. Utah was nice because of the scenery, the people and it was really easy to get a great tan there. Alabama is very close to me so it is almost like home. I love the cotton fields that are still over there in abundance. They are really pretty to look at but from what I understand you would never want to pick by hand. Florida is next door too and it is a nice place to visit. They have a lot of vacation sites that are great fun with kids. I am looking forward to Disney with my grandson. NC and SC are almost like home as well. I went to Ohio once and while the plane ride was the scariest of my life the people were nice and friendly. I stopped over at Chicago's O'Hare and it was the best laid out airport I have ever seen! I think that is about it though. I think there are good people and good things about just about everywhere. My sister loves history as thinks Boston is the tops.

wow thanx for all the details seeing as I dont get out much (havent left the house in over a week now) I love hearing about other places

Eyore
01-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I got to thinking after reading about what is so great about our home states what do you love about other states????

I havent really traveled much in the past few years but I have to say I really do find most all of the ppl in Memphis to be pretty friendly. There are some states where I swear they dont fix a road or have one descent driver but I am trying to be nice here lol

You must be talking about PA for the roads. I think PA has the worst maintained roads around. We went to IN a couple of years ago and when we came back we knew we were in PA because the road changed to crap. Right at the line. As far as people, well most are friendly but you do come across some that aren't as friendly also.

YYounghouse
01-03-2008, 01:53 PM
everybody is friendly.
I was born in Ohio...
they are friendly too.

karefree
01-03-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't get out myself that often so you aren't alone, Princess Arky.

Eyore mentioned Indiana and while I have never been there myself it is the homestate of my DH Paul and he is a great person so I am sure there are more where he came from!

Willow
01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
When we went to Pennsylvania last June we went to a Waffle House for breakfast and the waitresses were very nice. One of them in particular was very attentive to Kevin. I think she liked him. LOL Maybe they are trained to be extra friendly to people. There is a lady from Australia that works in the photo department at Walmart and she's always very sweet. I don't know if all Australians are like that or not because I've never been there, but she's always nice to talk to.

PrincessArky
01-03-2008, 03:42 PM
There is a lady from Australia that works in the photo department at Walmart and she's always very sweet. I don't know if all Australians are like that or not because I've never been there, but she's always nice to talk to.

I am married to an Aussie so the answer is no LOL but I will have a better opinion when we go over in May I will have 3 weeks to figure it out

Willow
01-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I am married to an Aussie so the answer is no LOL but I will have a better opinion when we go over in May I will have 3 weeks to figure it out

I was wondering if you might have some comment about Australians being nice. :rofl:

Aloha from paradise
01-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Unless you are a tourist don't expect most of the locals to be nice to you over here! There are some nice ones but the rest are just plain rude to haoles. That is one of the reasons we can't wait to leave Hawaii.

Aloha from paradise
01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I love the way an Australian guy talks!

LunaChick
01-03-2008, 05:07 PM
You must be talking about PA for the roads. I think PA has the worst maintained roads around. We went to IN a couple of years ago and when we came back we knew we were in PA because the road changed to crap. Right at the line. As far as people, well most are friendly but you do come across some that aren't as friendly also.

haha you are so right. You really must travel further into Philly. The streets are terrible!

I've been to West Virginia, Virginia, Texas, Mississippi, Maine, Connecticut, New York, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Florida, Carolinas, Ohio, Louisiana and Georgia. I believe I may have missed a few mid western states and some southern states.

I have to say that the most polite people and the most well maintained roads were in the South. I'm going to lean towards Texas.

PrincessArky
01-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I was wondering if you might have some comment about Australians being nice. :rofl:

oh you know me too well lol

Shann
01-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Nevada DOES NOT HAVE NICE PEOPLE they are crazy and drive like they're running away from death or something. They are insane. I'm from Iowa and the people are pretty nice from there, (really in the midwest I find the people to be pretty nice) especially if you're out in the country, they all wave to you when you drive by.. out here if you wave to someone they finger you back, like you had the nerve to be polite. :rolleyes: No bashing please, but I moved to OK for four months (that's all I could take) and as nice as some of the people said they are, the ones I met, were not... and boy did they hate the peeps from TX. I guess they hated me b/c I had Iowa plates and was a "yankee" that makes no sense! I can't say this for all people in GA but the high way patrol ppl are a-holes :getyou so I wouldn't suggest getting into an accident where it's not your fault there b/c they won't help you one bit. As far as bad roads, the midwest can be pretty bad especially IL, OMG... I can't remember what it's called but in KS they have the toll road, that's kept up really good but it's super boring to drive through there and NE. :p Hmmm the ppl in TX were nice though... I can't remember FL, CO or NY among others, only drove through PA. There are a lot more places I'd like to visit, most I drove through so I couldn't tell you if the ppl we encountered were nice or not. :p Although what's up w/ having to pay to use the restroom GA?! And do other states make you pay? What a crock of BS....

Heidi
01-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Pennsylvania has very friendly people. At least I thought so where we stayed a few days there. We live in VA for 3 years and people there are evil! IMO!!! Most of the small towns in WA seem to have pretty friendly people. Not so much in the big cities though.

swan0002
01-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Us New Yorkers may not have a rep for being the nicest people around (except for me, of course) But I have NEVER in my life met more manipulative, smile in ur face while plunging the knife in ur back ppl til I came to NC. Sorry if this offends anyone but that's been my experience.

earnhardt1
01-03-2008, 06:06 PM

lol i was gonna say that :)

karefree
01-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Shann, where is Ga did they make you pay to use the bathroom? I remember pay toilets but I haven't seen any in YEARS. Sorry we did that to you though where ever in the great state of Georgia it was.

Shann
01-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Shann, where is Ga did they make you pay to use the bathroom? I remember pay toilets but I haven't seen any in YEARS. Sorry we did that to you though where ever in the great state of Georgia it was.

it has been so long ago I don't remember, back in 2001, maybe they don't do that anymore? We were heading south to FL, so whatever interstate we might have been on, does that help? lol

karefree
01-03-2008, 07:30 PM
No, I guess they still do just not anywhere that I have been in a while. It has been a long time since I traveled south to Florida. Again, sorry we made you pay to pee.

dispatcher
01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
we mississippians are nice but we have horrible roads.

sheila_361
01-03-2008, 08:05 PM
People in Georgia are very nice and friendly, but the drivers kinda suck, I get so mad at people and am yelling under my breath at them constantly..When you have a good 6 car lenghts in front of you there is no reason to brake..LOL

karefree
01-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Just wait to it snows, Sheila. We don't do well at all in the snow.

Shann
01-03-2008, 08:16 PM
No, I guess they still do just not anywhere that I have been in a while. It has been a long time since I traveled south to Florida. Again, sorry we made you pay to pee.

hush! it's not your fault :hug :D I just thought it was strange and since I have a small bladder, I end up stopping a lot :p :lol

sheila_361
01-03-2008, 08:19 PM
karefree, my first winter I was here it snowed a little bit, so I know . It was like that when I lived in Louisiana as well, they would freak out over a inch of snow..LOL

sill ahh
01-03-2008, 11:01 PM
I lived in Memphis for around 10 months and if I had the money I'd move back. I met some of the nicest people there. Didn't matter who you were or what you looked like, everyone was treated the same. You could walk to some one pushing a stroller to admire their kid and they'd get them out and ask if you wanted to hold them. Now when I lived in Baltimore, if you walked up to someone to look at their kid they acted like you were gonna try and steal the kid. Not to meantion everyone kind of looked down their noses at me cause I'm from Wv, like they couldn't believe I had all my teeth and shoes on. I worked in Pa when I lived in Baltimore and the people there were awesome, ran into a few rednecks, but nothing I couldn't handle.
We have some nice people on Wv, but like everywhere else we have our share of idiots too, just depends on what part you're in. I live in the capital city area and work with people every day and for the most part they are people who would give you the shirt off their backs.

tracey74
01-04-2008, 12:31 AM
I was born and raised in ct and I can say most Ive ever met or know in ct were rude to "outsiders" we moved to wv in 1988 and the people here are wayyy too friendly lol and our roads are not the greatest I could show you some backroads that are suppose to be 2 lane that would make you poop a brick when you enounter another car head on and have to pull off to the side or back up till you can pull off. have family in upstate NY and the people there seemed alright to me but its been over 20 years since ive been there.

sill ahh
01-04-2008, 01:31 AM
I was born and raised in ct and I can say most Ive ever met or know in ct were rude to "outsiders" we moved to wv in 1988 and the people here are wayyy too friendly lol and our roads are not the greatest I could show you some backroads that are suppose to be 2 lane that would make you poop a brick when you enounter another car head on and have to pull off to the side or back up till you can pull off. have family in upstate NY and the people there seemed alright to me but its been over 20 years since ive been there.

You mean you have 2 lane roads where you are? lol Where I grew up we have some "roads" that are one lane and dirt and my favorite was the local make out spot that was nothing more than a path thru the weeds.

tnfuhs
01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
When I moved to Tennesee I couldn't believe how nice people were compared to my home town. There was no nasty looks in the grocery store aisles, if a car was broken down on the road, someone would stop and make sure you were okay, they all just have another attitude for the better down there. New York just sucks.

kabcrisp
01-04-2008, 08:04 AM
I am from the MidWest. . Oklahoma to be exact. A place I always thought to be populated with very nice people. But I must say I never met nicer people than when I went to Los Angeles.

People willing to help me find my way around, invites to dinner at thier homes, random acts of kindness very kind generous thoughtful people.

Since returning home to Oklahoma I haven't witnessed the same feeling.

hmmmmm.

Crick
01-04-2008, 09:16 AM
I've traveled up and down the Eastern Seaboard. Far as I can say NC, VA and TN have the nicest overall people. Of course I was born and raised in NC. SC is nice depending on where you live. Charleston, SC is always ranked as once of the most polite cities but having lived there for a while, I found the people of Charleston to be rude in every aspect. GA was generally very friendly but I found FL to be split as to friendly and rude people. Washington, DC was also split. MD I found more rude than polite people. Think that covers states where I actually spent time in (more than a week). Other states I passed through and have no opinion of.

freebielover
01-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I think people from NH are generally very nice. I also find MA to be full of very kind people. Since moving to CT, I've noticed most people seem to be snobs & are full of themselves. Not sure if its my area or not. The funny thing is they have nothing to be snobby about. When I visited Orlando, the locals were so great, very nice people. Also, VT has some of the sweetest people ever.

Willow
01-04-2008, 11:14 AM
I think people from NH are generally very nice. I also find MA to be full of very kind people. Since moving to CT, I've noticed most people seem to be snobs & are full of themselves. Not sure if its my area or not. The funny thing is they have nothing to be snobby about. When I visited Orlando, the locals were so great, very nice people. Also, VT has some of the sweetest people ever.

I have relatives on my dad's side that live in Connecticut and I've noticed that the people there are a bit on the uppity side.

tracey74
01-04-2008, 02:21 PM
You mean you have 2 lane roads where you are? lol Where I grew up we have some "roads" that are one lane and dirt and my favorite was the local make out spot that was nothing more than a path thru the weeds.

lol yeah I live just out of town but we do have one lane roads out in the middle of nowhere that to me look like paths . dont you just love when someone tells you you have to cross a creek to get to the other side of their road and it looks more like a river? some places here you have to park your car/ truck and walk over a mile up your"holler" to get to your house when its muddy guess a lot of wv is like that. what county are you in? Im in braxton.

also coming from ct after being born and raised there people here in wv thought I was snobby and rich only because I was really shy and afraid to talk to people and I dressed the best I could so they took that as being rich. but here in wv the people are friendly there is always someone who will come along to help you out just never EVER ask someone along side the road for directions because you will get directions to and around places that you never heard of or arent there any longer lol

BigLyd1
01-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I was born and raised in ct and I can say most Ive ever met or know in ct were rude to "outsiders"...

I have traveled through almost all the states but have only visited in CT for a while because DH's family lives there. I always thought they weren't very friendly but thought it was only his family. Maybe it's because I was an "outsider," one of "those Californians."

tracey74
01-04-2008, 02:48 PM
it might be my dad went back to ct quite a few times when he was alive because he still has friends there and when he asked someone up there (at a hot dog cart I think it was) for a pop they treated him like an ass asking him WTH a pop was. my dad continued to be a wiseass(which was normal for him) and say you know a pop. theyre like no,I dont know finally he told them soda. the guy was rude and more or less told him to go back where he came from but not in those exact words. but everyone I know that lives up there wants to move because they cant either afford to live there or the crime is getting so bad .(Im from what they called the valley which was derby,ansonia,shelton,etc area)

LuvBigRip
01-04-2008, 02:52 PM
So long as you stay away from Denver, Colorado is great. Although compared to Nevada or California most people in Denver are cool. I hated Phoenix with a passion.

csbking4
01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I think Virginians (home state LOL) are great! Going back home always has the friendliest people, one man I see sometimes at either the gas station or the post office cannot stop talking!...but he makes me laugh! LOL

sill ahh
01-05-2008, 12:18 AM
lol yeah I live just out of town but we do have one lane roads out in the middle of nowhere that to me look like paths . dont you just love when someone tells you you have to cross a creek to get to the other side of their road and it looks more like a river? some places here you have to park your car/ truck and walk over a mile up your"holler" to get to your house when its muddy guess a lot of wv is like that. what county are you in? Im in braxton.

I'm in Kanawha county, Charleston to be exact. I used to drive thru braxton county once a month on my way to maryland, takes about an hour to an hour and a half to get to flatwoods from here, depends on how far I push the pedal down. lol