PDA

View Full Version : I've had it and I'm looking for a new job!

diana_circe
01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I started working where I worked September of 2006 and was lured away the following March by what I thought was an awesome opportunity with HP. I was at HP on a 6 month renewable contract, it was offered to be renewed when it was up, but with the stipulation that I accept $4 less an hour (they did that to all the contract workers who were hired through the company I worked through). Since I had an hour commute I decided I couldn't afford to stay there for what would end up being less than $10 an hour after the cost of gas, not to mention wear and tear on my vehicle. My old supervisor kept telling me I should come back, so after speaking to HR and the project manager I let myself be lured back. I swear I wish I had stayed at HP for the pay cut.

It has been nothing but problems since I went back, missing hours that I had to fight for and ridiculous write-ups for things that had nothing to do with me. But the kicker was that my 90-day probation period was up the 22nd of November, yet they refuse to give me my paid time off and holiday pay. I was a little upset when I didn't get Thanksgiving paid, but I figured it was probably the way the month worked out so I didn't complain. A few weeks later when I took some pre-approved time off (4 hours a day on two different days) and it didn't come out of my paid time off I got a little bothered. But today I went to check my hours for my upcoming check and saw that I didn't get Christmas Eve paid for, and I didn't get my holiday pay for Christmas I decided I needed to talk to the admin assistant. She is telling me I missed the equivilent of 5 hours a week for 12 weeks so I am still on probation, and if I don't average at least 35 hours a week by Feb 27th I will remain on probation until after I've been there a year.

Now, I've done the math and that works out to missing a total of 7.5 days of work in a 12 week period. Do we not think that someone would lose their job over losing a week and a half of work in 3 months. Where I work is so incredibly strict about missed time that we get written up if we are 1 minute last three times in a 1 month period, if we get written up 3 times in a 6 month period we're fired. One missed day counts one occurance, three occurances is a write up, then each consecutive occurance is a write up. Again, three write ups and you're fired. So if I had missed 7.5 days I would have really would have been fired after the 5th day missed, there are NO exceptions.

My check is going to be crap, not even enough to make my house payment, and I'm just fed up. I've been sending off my resume and checking all the sites and the jobs in the paper ever since I got home. Grrrr!

kelblend
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
That sucks. I hope you find something better soon. I hate when you know you're right and have to wonder about the motivation of other people.

Beso
01-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I am with you. I need a new job too. Sorry some employers can be just pains in the butt these days! Errrrr....

Lori63
01-03-2008, 03:43 AM
Good luck to you.

PrincessArky
01-03-2008, 08:25 AM
good luck on the job search

cabby92
01-03-2008, 09:43 AM
It's too hard to go into a bad job every day. I hope you find something better soon.

Army-Mom
01-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Good luck with your job hunt..that is just wrong what they are doing to you..(((hugs)))

freeby4me
01-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I sure hope you find something new real soon, a job that you'll love!

pepperpot
01-03-2008, 10:08 AM
On the plus side.....January is when companies start to hire again...;).....Good Luck! :)

BeanieLuvR
01-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Good luck! I hope you find a good job soon! What they are doing to you isn't right.

diana_circe
01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
pepperpot, that's what I'm banking on. The college kids are going back to school and lots of places are hiring locally.

What is sad is I absolutely adore most of the people I work with. Management and corporate suck @$$, but my direct co-workers are awesome. We are in sales positions and its such an amazing team. There's so little of the back-stabbing, cut-throat attitude that you normally find in a close quartered sales environment. If one of us has taken the time to quote a customer and that customer calls back to place their order 9 times out of 10 whoever gets the call will pass the order on to the original sales rep instead of trying to claim the sale for their self. We get a salary plus commission, and the commission really isn't crap considering how hard we usually have to work to earn it, its so hard to hit goals consistently, and most of the people I work with are single parents, so saying we really watch out for each other is saying a lot when you know you're so far from your goal and you have a gold mine dropped in your lap yet you pas sit to the rightful salesperson.

When I went to HP I was sadly amazed at how petty and whiny grown adults making the kind of money we were making could be. They tattled like 3 year olds trying to "get in good" with management, and they were all seemingly so unhappy! I missed my co-worker to no end. Which is probably why I accepted the job offer again. I knew I'd hate company policy, but man being with these people was like coming home.

But... that can't be the only place in the world that can offer me a somewhat decent wage with some kind of family atmosphere. I have too much pride, education and experience to sit back and be treated like a child, and to try and fight management for what should just be.

I applied for the assistant manager at the convenient store near me, and I sent off my resume for a admin asst in a neighboring town. But they want me to come in to the agency that they hire through and its 30 miles away and I just can't afford to take off the time for that. If I had known I'd have to do that I would have gone on Dec. 31st since they were open. Of course, I didn't have any idea I was going to not get my vacation pay at that point so looking for a different job was something I just occasionally poked about.