PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else anxious for 2007 to be over?

diana_circe
12-29-2007, 08:55 AM
I hate to complain, but I just need to whine a bit.

This has been a really rough year on us, both financially and mentally. The year started out hopeful enough, but as the year progressed things just went downhill.

It started in June when my hubby lost his job due to too much time missed. We have four kids and our oldest son has a mild form of autism, I was making more money than he was and he was closer to home, so when Matt had an appointment or one of the kids got sick it made more sense for him to take the time off than for me to. He was out of work for about 10 weeks before finally finding something, at a significant pay decrease.

Then in late August I found out that when my contract came up for renewal at the beginning of Sept. they were going to reduce my pay over $4 an hour. I didn't take that personally as they were doing it to everyone when their contract were renewed, but since I commuted for nearly an hour and the cost of gas was so high I needed to find a new job immediately. I still took the $4 an hour pay cut, but without the commute, but the first place that offered me a job was the same place that my hubby was fired from in June. Now our situations are reversed and I make less than my hubby and he has the commute, and I am terrified that I'm going to lose my job because where I work doesn't consider sick kids or medical appointments an excused absence.

So OK, we're managing, barely, but we are. Then in October my younger son is diagnosed with a neurological disorder. Our ped. is frustrating me to no end because the neurologist wants my son off a lot of the medication he is on so we can re-test him, but the ped is dragging his feet, which is putting off getting a formal diagnosis for Evan. I want to find a new ped. but if I take the time off from work I'm going to lose my job.

In November we have the gas company come out to light our pilot on the furnace and they red tagged my furnace. They said we needed to get it inspected and cleaned before they would light it and then sealed our gas meter. We have a guy come out and check it and clean it and he pronounces it working, the gas company comes out and turns the meter back on and lights the pilot in the furnace. Less than three weeks later our carbon monoxide detectors go off and we have to turn the furnace back off, and for 2.5 weeks of running my furnace yesterday in the mail I get a $293 bill.

Things started looking up, I won a $50 gift card to Walmart at work so I took my youngest daughter and went to get some groceries, where I slipped in the parking lot. My foot was a little sore when I was walking in to the store, and a little more sore as I was walking out, but I didn't think anything of it really. Four days later the pain was so bad I went to the E.R. to find out I have one bone fractured and a torn ligament which tore a piece off another bone. Now, I never reported slipping to Walmart, I though I had just jarred my foot, nothing serious. They want me to see an orthopedic doctor, but with no insurance I can't do that.

Christmas was kind of lousy, we didn't have much money, but thankfully my kids seemed happy with what they got. And we had my sister, my hubby's sister, our nieces and my mom with us for the holiday. Then last night, just when things couldn't get possibly get any worse my washer broke in mid-cycle.

I sit in the knowledge that things can only go up from here, and I'll be so glad when 2007 is done!

freeby4me
12-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Oh wow Sweets, I sure hope the new year is brand new and bright with many good things!

gmyers
12-29-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm really sorry for all you're going through. Boy it seems like stressful things just keep happening. I know how you feel. My husbaend lost his job in September and if he doesn't get his trucking license when he takes it on January 11th we're going to be in trouble financialy. I'll be so glad when this year ends and I hope yours, ours and everybody elses new years turms out a lot better financially, healthwise, and most important emotionally. I really hope things get better for you so you can have a lot less stress.

karefree
12-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Prayers for your family. I pray all your health problems are relieved and that your finances improve.

Beso
12-29-2007, 02:11 PM
I am not sure I want 2007 to be over. I just found out my boss sold the business. Now we have to wait till Thursday to see what happens with our jobs.

lizmolik
12-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I for one, will be soooooo glad this year is going to be over...this is the worst year ever for me...I have so much happen between financial scrambles, sickness both family and friends, and everything else...I am done BYE BYE 2007 HELLO 2008! I know it has to be better than this! I pray that everyone will have a better 08!

diana_circe
12-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Sounds like we all have our own issues... Beso, sorry to hear abut your job, I hope you don't have to worry about finding a new job, what a stressful way to start the new year!

Njean31
12-30-2007, 08:46 AM
this has been the worst year ever.

iluvmybaby
12-30-2007, 08:49 AM
I am ready for it to be over seriously. In between Christmas this year and and Christmas last year ((365 days)) it has been the WORST year of my life. I hope that things get better for ALL of us next year

sheila_361
12-30-2007, 08:54 AM
I sure hope everyone has a great 2008!!!! I really can't complain about 2007 though it was luckily pretty good for me.

Jenefer3
12-30-2007, 12:25 PM
I cannot wait for 2007 to be over. The first part started out okay but then things just started going downhill. My son kept falling asleep in class or he'd fall asleep during things you just aren't supposed to fall asleep through (like eating) so his dr. sent him to a neurologist thinking that he might have narcolepsy. Well while we were doing all the testing, my son's school started sending me letters home complaining that he was missing too much school and that if I didn't get him to school every day, they would file in Superior Court (I was like what the heck? there's something wrong with him, he's going to doctor's appointments and they said that doesn't matter, even though the absences are excused by his doctor, if they (the school) want to, they can petition the court to over ride those excused absences and then I can pay the penalty for not making sure my child is in school). Well the neurologist didn't think it was narcolepsy, he thought my son might actually have a tumor in his brain stem, which would explain the sleepiness better. So we went through months of testing (thankfully no tumor and no narcolepsy) only to find out that my 8 year old little boy has sleep apnea and needs a machine at night. Then we had to deal with the insurance company because according to them, kids my son's age don't get sleep apnea. It took a month to get his machine but thankfully it's made a huge differerence.

Then my middle child started having headaches and blurriness in her right eye, so they sent her for tests, thinking there was a tumor. No tumor, thankfully, but she was diagnosed with Chiari 1 malformation. So now she's on medication to control her headaches and she has to have spinal fluid removed every so often to help relieve the pressure that builds up.

Then, my oldest child, who is 12, started having horrible right sided pain so I assumed it was her appendix...well after back to back visits to the e.r., they decided it wasn't her appendix, that instead what had happened was she had a few ovarian cysts rupture and that's what caused her pain and the fluid buildup in her abdomen. They said she'd be fine now that the cysts had ruptured...WRONG. She was fine for about a week and then the pain all started again. Turns out there were more cysts rupturing so they put her on birth control pills to help stop the formation of cysts. For a week, she was doing well, then the school called saying something was wrong with my daughter's breathing. She ended up in the hospital for tests and stuff only to find out that she had a blood clot in her lungs.

So I was dealing with all of this for the last 4 or 5 months of the year all while trying to be a full time college student. I'm hoping that 2008 is better for not only us, but everyone else who had a rough 2007.

YankeeMary
12-30-2007, 12:43 PM
I have many mixed thoughts and emotions over 2007. It has been a year of mixed emotions. For those that do not know, my stepdaughter has a mental illness and is married to guy with a mental illness equal to hers if not a bit worse. Anyways, she had a baby in Feb. 2007, we (my dh and I) brought the baby home from the hospital and have had her every since. Our adoption will be final in Feb. 2008. My SD has been in and out of the mental hospitals 17 times in 2007. Her husband has been in jail and the mental hospital numerous times. Our youngest child was 14 at the time, we were looking forward to having just "our" time and boom we are new parents. Its been very hard adjusting and learning how to "fit" a baby into our non structured life. But on the other hand it has been the biggest blessing we could have received. Gracie is a total doll, she is bright and beautiful and appreciates attention. She was meant to be with us and we were meant to love her. Its so very complicated yet so simple. My oldest son is a senior and that brings such thrills to a teenager and that thrill is contagious. But then again, it means my baby is growing up. My youngest just turned 15 and is waiting for paperwork from school so he can go get his drivers permit. He is so happy and we are happy for him, except, well you guessed it, my baby is growing up. My MIL lived with us and drove me freaking crazy, seemed she lived to stir trouble. She moved in with her other son down in Flordia...oh happy day. But the other son is pretty worthless and into drugs, so I worry about her now.
So you see 2007 has had ups and downs for us but nothing that makes me hate 2007. I look forward to 2008 because I know that whatever it brings "we" as a family will handle it and know that it will only make us stronger. We are kinda like that old song....We will survive...lol. So 2008 bring it!

diana_circe
12-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I look forward to 2008 because I know that whatever it brings "we" as a family will handle it and know that it will only make us stronger. We are kinda like that old song....We will survive...lol. So 2008 bring it!

Mary, very eloquently put! I knew if I whined on here someone would put it all in perspective for me :) Thank you!

PrincessArky
12-31-2007, 06:04 AM
I just hope next year is better for everyone it seems alot of us have not had such a great 2007

diana_circe
12-31-2007, 08:37 AM
The way I see it, we've been down so low for so long that there's no place to go but up! And I am really looking forward to it :)

YankeeMary
12-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Mary, very eloquently put! I knew if I whined on here someone would put it all in perspective for me :) Thank you!

I didn't think you were whining at all. I just thought you were "venting" to your friends and sharing as well as seeking support. I sure hope that the New Year opens many many doors for you and your family as well as everyone here.

kabcrisp
12-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Goodbye 2007. . .

goodbye painful marriage to worthless husband.

goodbye financially devastating divorce.

goodbye to the city I loved but had to leave due to the reasons above.

goodbye old me who gave to a fault.

Hello 2008. .

Hello to a me who is complete and whole all on my own.

Hello to being a better parent, despite being both parents.

Hello to home, there's no place like it.

Hello to life and living as I choose.

and Hello Handsome, where you been all my life?

Happy New Year all. . . Hello!

sheila_361
12-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Goodbye 2007. . .

goodbye painful marriage to worthless husband.

goodbye financially devastating divorce.

goodbye to the city I loved but had to leave due to the reasons above.

goodbye old me who gave to a fault.

Hello 2008. .

Hello to a me who is complete and whole all on my own.

Hello to being a better parent, despite being both parents.

Hello to home, there's no place like it.

Hello to life and living as I choose.

and Hello Handsome, where you been all my life?

Happy New Year all. . . Hello!

Now That is a great outlook to have! May 2008 be the very best for you! :hug

diana_circe
12-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Mary, I was whining, and you gave some words well worth hearing!

to kabcrisp, been there, done that and congratulations to becoming who you can be on your own! My love and well wishes are with you :)

Army-Mom
12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
I am hoping for a better year for 2008 as last year started out really bad for us..I lost my brother, my aunt, a friend, a brother in law ...and a cousin...prayers for a better year coming.

pepperpot
12-31-2007, 07:00 PM
2007 was very difficult for me but pales in comparison to some......I just want to get out of this emotional hole that I've gotten myself into.....2007 has been a challenge nonetheless.....let's hope the sun shines a bit brighter for us all in 2008.

I recently when shopping with my very best friend and told her, "I feel like I've been through the wringer"....she replies, "You have." That statement within itself and to see myself still standing, has comforted me.

kidzpca
12-31-2007, 07:03 PM
I hate to complain, but I just need to whine a bit.

This has been a really rough year on us, both financially and mentally. The year started out hopeful enough, but as the year progressed things just went downhill.

It started in June when my hubby lost his job due to too much time missed. We have four kids and our oldest son has a mild form of autism, I was making more money than he was and he was closer to home, so when Matt had an appointment or one of the kids got sick it made more sense for him to take the time off than for me to. He was out of work for about 10 weeks before finally finding something, at a significant pay decrease.

Then in late August I found out that when my contract came up for renewal at the beginning of Sept. they were going to reduce my pay over $4 an hour. I didn't take that personally as they were doing it to everyone when their contract were renewed, but since I commuted for nearly an hour and the cost of gas was so high I needed to find a new job immediately. I still took the $4 an hour pay cut, but without the commute, but the first place that offered me a job was the same place that my hubby was fired from in June. Now our situations are reversed and I make less than my hubby and he has the commute, and I am terrified that I'm going to lose my job because where I work doesn't consider sick kids or medical appointments an excused absence.

So OK, we're managing, barely, but we are. Then in October my younger son is diagnosed with a neurological disorder. Our ped. is frustrating me to no end because the neurologist wants my son off a lot of the medication he is on so we can re-test him, but the ped is dragging his feet, which is putting off getting a formal diagnosis for Evan. I want to find a new ped. but if I take the time off from work I'm going to lose my job.

In November we have the gas company come out to light our pilot on the furnace and they red tagged my furnace. They said we needed to get it inspected and cleaned before they would light it and then sealed our gas meter. We have a guy come out and check it and clean it and he pronounces it working, the gas company comes out and turns the meter back on and lights the pilot in the furnace. Less than three weeks later our carbon monoxide detectors go off and we have to turn the furnace back off, and for 2.5 weeks of running my furnace yesterday in the mail I get a $293 bill.

Things started looking up, I won a $50 gift card to Walmart at work so I took my youngest daughter and went to get some groceries, where I slipped in the parking lot. My foot was a little sore when I was walking in to the store, and a little more sore as I was walking out, but I didn't think anything of it really. Four days later the pain was so bad I went to the E.R. to find out I have one bone fractured and a torn ligament which tore a piece off another bone. Now, I never reported slipping to Walmart, I though I had just jarred my foot, nothing serious. They want me to see an orthopedic doctor, but with no insurance I can't do that.

Christmas was kind of lousy, we didn't have much money, but thankfully my kids seemed happy with what they got. And we had my sister, my hubby's sister, our nieces and my mom with us for the holiday. Then last night, just when things couldn't get possibly get any worse my washer broke in mid-cycle.

I sit in the knowledge that things can only go up from here, and I'll be so glad when 2007 is done!

I honestly wish you a better and prosperous 2008.

But have a question, when your husband lost his job did his company practice the FMLA law Clinton enacted during his term? IF not you are eligable for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) for up to 12 weeks off work every calendar year. It can be all at once or intermittant. Leave when you need it for son's appointments and such. You have to have your son's dr fill out FMLA papers and present it to your boss for them to take effect. However, you must have worked for the company for at least 1 year before FMLA takes effect. IF your husband worked for more than 1 year for the company you work for now he could possibly take the company to court for non-rightful termination.

Again best of luck to you.

IthinkNOT!
12-31-2007, 07:30 PM
I am so glad this year is almost over. i have been through the wringer physically and emotionally. The new year has always been a time of promise and change. Here's hoping that next year will be better than last for ALL of us!

diana_circe
12-31-2007, 08:06 PM
kidzpca, unfortunately he didn't qualify for fmla. He had changed jobs less than a year before and they require a year on the job before they offer that to an employee. He had only been there 9 months when he started having to take a day here and there, etc. By month 11 they fired him, even bringing doctor's notes from the kids' ped. didn't excuse the absence. Actually, its company policy for the immediate supervisor to decide whether or not to accept it as an excused absence, but the site manager prefers they aren't too lenient with absences, according to him we get 4 paid hours off a month and that should be plenty to take care of any family related issues and if you have more than that you need to figure something else out. Which is easy for him to say because his wife is a sahm and he doesn't punch the clock.

Pepperpot, I have a couple friends who see exactly what we've been dealing with and let me know they're there for me too. It really does help to know someone else sees what I feel and its not just all in my head.

gmyers
12-31-2007, 09:37 PM
I cannot wait for 2007 to be over. The first part started out okay but then things just started going downhill. My son kept falling asleep in class or he'd fall asleep during things you just aren't supposed to fall asleep through (like eating) so his dr. sent him to a neurologist thinking that he might have narcolepsy. Well while we were doing all the testing, my son's school started sending me letters home complaining that he was missing too much school and that if I didn't get him to school every day, they would file in Superior Court (I was like what the heck? there's something wrong with him, he's going to doctor's appointments and they said that doesn't matter, even though the absences are excused by his doctor, if they (the school) want to, they can petition the court to over ride those excused absences and then I can pay the penalty for not making sure my child is in school). Well the neurologist didn't think it was narcolepsy, he thought my son might actually have a tumor in his brain stem, which would explain the sleepiness better. So we went through months of testing (thankfully no tumor and no narcolepsy) only to find out that my 8 year old little boy has sleep apnea and needs a machine at night. Then we had to deal with the insurance company because according to them, kids my son's age don't get sleep apnea. It took a month to get his machine but thankfully it's made a huge differerence.

Then my middle child started having headaches and blurriness in her right eye, so they sent her for tests, thinking there was a tumor. No tumor, thankfully, but she was diagnosed with Chiari 1 malformation. So now she's on medication to control her headaches and she has to have spinal fluid removed every so often to help relieve the pressure that builds up.

Then, my oldest child, who is 12, started having horrible right sided pain so I assumed it was her appendix...well after back to back visits to the e.r., they decided it wasn't her appendix, that instead what had happened was she had a few ovarian cysts rupture and that's what caused her pain and the fluid buildup in her abdomen. They said she'd be fine now that the cysts had ruptured...WRONG. She was fine for about a week and then the pain all started again. Turns out there were more cysts rupturing so they put her on birth control pills to help stop the formation of cysts. For a week, she was doing well, then the school called saying something was wrong with my daughter's breathing. She ended up in the hospital for tests and stuff only to find out that she had a blood clot in her lungs.

So I was dealing with all of this for the last 4 or 5 months of the year all while trying to be a full time college student. I'm hoping that 2008 is better for not only us, but everyone else who had a rough 2007.

Man you sound like you've really been through a lot this year. I can't believe how these schools can do that when you have a doctors excuse. What do they expect you to do just ignore what your kids are going through and send them to school anyway. I really hope this year is a lot easier for you and your kids too.

ang in NC
12-31-2007, 10:06 PM
I am so glad it is 2008 now, 2007 was awfull! We spent $10,967 out of pocket this yr. That inc health,dental ins,co pays,therapist, surgeries, rx's ,dentist,etc. And we still owe on the husbands surgery from July. I am out of work. It can only get better. At least I am getting a new granbaby in 2008!

YankeeMary
12-31-2007, 10:29 PM
I am so glad it is 2008 now, 2007 was awfull! We spent $10,967 out of pocket this yr. That inc health,dental ins,co pays,therapist, surgeries, rx's ,dentist,etc. And we still owe on the husbands surgery from July. I am out of work. It can only get better. At least I am getting a new granbaby in 2008!

Another new grandbaby???

ma4angels
12-31-2007, 10:58 PM
I a sorry for everyone that was having a bad year. My prayers and hugs go out to all of you. I also hope that this will be a great year for everyone. The beginning of 2007 was ok for us but the middle and end was terrible. My DH's aunt that he was close to was diagnosed with cancer and by the time they found it , it was to far gone. She passed away in August. He had just lost his father the year before that. I think that when she died he finally started to really grieve for his dad along with for her. His dad was sick for so long that I really don't think it hit him that he was really gone, so he really didn't grieve enough when it happened. He basically had an emotional overload. That started in September. He really has't been able to work for the last three months and I went back to work. Of course I dont make the money he did so we are struggling. But he is getting better everyday. I am praying everything will go back to normal this new year.

BeanieLuvR
01-01-2008, 12:27 AM
You know I thought I had a bad year until I read what some of you have been through. My troubles paled in comparison. I hope that things get better for all of you. I am praying for great things to come your way in 2008. :hug

PrincessArky
01-01-2008, 06:39 AM
woohoo its 2008 and things are gonna get better :)

Jenefer3
01-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Well 2008 has already started out rough. They're sending my 12 year old daughter to a cancer center :cry now we just have to hope that things turn out good.

PrincessArky
01-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Well 2008 has already started out rough. They're sending my 12 year old daughter to a cancer center :cry now we just have to hope that things turn out good.

I am so sorry to hear that..........sending postive thoughts and prayers your way

kidzpca
01-03-2008, 07:49 PM

My heart goes out to you, your daughter and the rest of your family. I will pass on what someone said to me 5 and half years ago when my dot was diagnosed.

What ever faith you practice. Continue. Hold on to that faith and most importantly...BELIEVE.