PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a spinoff from a thread in OTC (TV)

ilikefree
12-28-2007, 08:48 AM
You have your tv that you watch through your antenna, which is free because of the commercials. You have your radio, which is free because of the commercials. Then you have your satellite radio, which you pay for but don't have commercials. So why, since I pay for cable tv, do I have commercials? If I'm paying for it, why are there commercials? I think we might have one channel (Turner Classic Movies) that doesn't interrupt the movies with commercials. All the other channels have them.

I know, just a petty whine, but I've always wondered that, especially now that the satellite radios are out commercial-free.

cabby92
12-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Is it because the cable and satellite companies are blood sucking demons? (I have DirecTV but no, I'm not bitter.)

I don't think the satellite radio broadcasts public stations, do they? Like ABC, etc. on TV?

MoOn-BaBy
12-28-2007, 08:53 AM
When I had sat radio alot of channels had commericals.

dv8grl
12-28-2007, 09:00 AM
I have XM & yes, there are commericals., mostly on the talk radio stations, not on the music radio stations.

I have solved the problems with commericals here at my house.. its called TIVO!

SLance68
12-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Did you know that the commercials are different if you have cable verses using an antenna? Also it is not the cable companies that get the revenue from the commercials - look at the network that puts them in and gets paid for the majority of the commercials. Have you ever noticed that USA has about 4 million commercials for every hour of a show?

iluvmybaby
12-28-2007, 01:42 PM
I have XM & yes, there are commericals., mostly on the talk radio stations, not on the music radio stations.

I have solved the problems with commericals here at my house.. its called TIVO!

I love TIVO it is so worth the extra $$$

Shann
12-28-2007, 02:15 PM
yep I was going to agree, I have XM and have those stupid commercials. I just turn the station, I don't pay to listen to music to hear stupic commercials about flea control :rolleyes: Of course not all channels have commercials (thankfully)

And we have a DVR (like tivo) we just don't own it and on things like dancing w/ the stars I will record so I can fast foward through all the commercials and crap they show that I don't care to see. :D