PDA

View Full Version : Family Problems

frogwoman
12-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Why can't families try harder to get along? This time of year should bring people together. My friend has a sister who is tearing the family apart. She told me her sister causes so much trouble and tries to turn each family member against each other and then when she causes the damage she says everyone is doing it to her. My friend is ready to pull her hair out. I told her you have to feel sorry for someone who would do that because she has low self esteem issues. Obviously she needs lots of attention and doesn't seem to care who she hurts to get it. It would be so nice to see them all get along again.

magenta
12-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I have a huge family, when someone is trying to cause problems, they get called on it. Maybe she needs to be called out.

It is usually done in our family by one certain person. I will talk about generic things with her. I do not get caught up in her drama. Or listen to her gossip.

Sorry your friend is having trouble with her sister. She must have low self esteem and a maturity problem. Family is so importent and as soon as she realizes this, she is going to be sorry for being a trouble maker.

iluvmybaby
12-23-2007, 07:50 PM
My best friends son had Aspergers syndrome, he literally tore the entire family apart. If any of you are not familiar with Aspergers, this is some of the symptoms

# Not pick up on social cues and lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' body language, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.
# Dislike any changes in routines.
# May appear to lack empathy.
# Be unable to recognize subtle differences in speech tone, pitch, and accent that alter the meaning of others’ speech. Thus, your child may not understand a joke or may take a sarcastic comment literally. Likewise, his or her speech may be flat and difficult to understand because it lacks tone, pitch, and accent.
# Have a formal style of speaking that is advanced for his or her age. For example, the child may use the term “beckon” instead of “call,” or “return” instead of “come back.”
# Avoid eye contact.
# Have unusual facial expressions or postures.
# Be preoccupied with one or only few interests, which he or she may be very knowledgeable about. Many children with Asperger's syndrome are overly interested in parts of a whole or in unusual activities, such as doing intricate jigsaw puzzles, designing houses, drawing highly detailed scenes, or astronomy. 2
# Talk a lot, usually about a favorite subject. One-sided conversations are common. Internal thoughts are often verbalized.

# May have heightened sensitivity and get overstimulated by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes or textures. For more information about these symptoms, see sensory integration dysfunction.

He has no impulse control and is argumentative and combative, basically if you say the sky is blue, he will argue with you for HOURS and beats the subject like a dead horse. He basically tore the entire family apart, cost her countless jobs, etc.

I will pray for your friend because my friend had the same problems/issues literally until the day she died. I hope that her sister is able to grow up and realize that family and friends are precious

ang in NC
12-23-2007, 10:07 PM
I have a daughter w/ aspergers. People have no idea. She is so afraid this Christmas that someone is going to have to use her bathroom!

sunniekiss
12-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Familes..can't choose them but you can sure choose to not spend time with them.
Last year I spent Christmas with friends. This year I am spending very brief time with my family. Next year will be even briefer.
My family still can not understand just why I divorced my abusive alcholic husband. They claim they never saw him abuse me. Yea like he would have pushed me around them. That waiting until we were alone. I dreaded Christmas Eve b/c that meant I was cleanning vomit up off of the rug & bringing Christmas presents down from the attic...alone.