PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Promotion no extra pay but new hire w/no experience gets more an hr than me.

Pepsi4me
12-18-2007, 05:52 PM
I posted a few days ago that I got a promotion/new position at the school cafeteria which is a step up from the position I did have there. This came with no extra money & I have been there 2 months. I was very happy & love the new position.

I just found out that another girl who started 1 wk ago said she has no experience & makes a dollar more an hr than me.

Should I ask for more money explaining that I have previous experience from other jobs?

WWYD?

freeby4me
12-18-2007, 05:56 PM
That does seem odd but I have no advice for you, sorry.

evrita
12-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Sometimes that is the way the cookie crumbles. Most places frown upon people talking about how much they make ect. I know where I workI have 5 years on someone and they are making the same amount as me but yet there is someone who has been there way longer then I have and I am making almost as much as here. I know when I started working there cost of living was lower now it is higher.

IMO I wouldnt touch it yeah it is a pisser but what can you do risk the poss of losing the job in the long run? How do you know she is telling the truth?

JKATHERINE
12-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Like Ev said, most places do frown upon employees discussing their salaries and a lot even prohibit it in their employee manuals/policies. So, technically, you probably shouldn't even know about other people's salaries so if you want a raise, you'll need to find your own selling point (your experience is a good one) and not use someone else's better pay as your leverage.

The other employee's pay may just be what she asked for when she was hired. If you asked for less than you were worth or less than they were anticipating paying you, they were probably glad. If they're paying her more than you are getting, then they probably would have paid you that amount, too, if you had asked for it. It happens everywhere. At my workplace, there was a woman teaching preschool who held a Master's degree and had 30 years of experience and had been there for five years. I walked in last October and was hired with an *almost* Bachelor's Degree and made a considerable amount more than her. It all depends on what you ask/settle for when you're hired and if you ask for raises over the time that you're there. That, and how desperate your employer is to hire someone when you apply for the job (my employer was in a bind at the time...).

pepperpot
12-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Like Ev said, most places do frown upon employees discussing their salaries and a lot even prohibit it in their employee manuals/policies. So, technically, you probably shouldn't even know about other people's salaries so if you want a raise, you'll need to find your own selling point (your experience is a good one) and not use someone else's better pay as your leverage.

The other employee's pay may just be what she asked for when she was hired. If you asked for less than you were worth or less than they were anticipating paying you, they were probably glad. If they're paying her more than you are getting, then they probably would have paid you that amount, too, if you had asked for it. It happens everywhere. At my workplace, there was a woman teaching preschool who held a Master's degree and had 30 years of experience and had been there for five years. I walked in last October and was hired with an *almost* Bachelor's Degree and made a considerable amount more than her. It all depends on what you ask/settle for when you're hired and if you ask for raises over the time that you're there. That, and how desperate your employer is to hire someone when you apply for the job (my employer was in a bind at the time...).

Absolutely agree.

With your situation, this new person has a similar position?

Either way....you received a promotion. ;) Give it 2 or 3 months so you 'prove' that you are a good worker, then request a raise based on your own merits. You'll be respected more. Under no circumstances bring up another's salary, whether it be a more/less thing in passing or vaguely eluded to.

Good luck.

vicky122
12-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Our school all servers starting pay is the same all cooks is the same except the head cook. We are on steps. So we get a paper what the stating pay is for your dept. and at the new school year we know what our pay is. Full time cooks get paid more then parttime cooks. Servers don't get full time. So there is no hiding what you make. I am a cook on step 8 (8 years)which is the last step. Now if we hire a new cook they start on step one. Now they will get a bigger raise then me because I am off of steps. All a person has to do is look for a cooks pay on step eight. We all get the paper. So she might be making it up. But me I sure would ask.
We don't get raises by what you do. it is all the same accross the board. You can be lazy and miss a lot of work and the raise is still the same.

kyswpgrl
12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Ask them if you can quit and they'll rehire you. LOL I really don't know. That would certainly have to suck and it would bother me knowing that. Is there any chance she's lying? I know when I was getting ready to go on maternity leave, I had to train a temp to take my place for while I was off. She told me she was making like $15/hr. I know my work had to pay the temp agency like $20+/hr for her to be getting that much. At the time, I was making $9. I was kind of like, "WTF?", but figured it just had to do with it being a temporary contract or something. It wasn't until I returned from maternity leave that I found out she'd been lying...about more than just that. She was just trying to push me out so she could have my job full-time.

Unicornmom77
12-18-2007, 10:00 PM

I also agree with J ...

I had a similar situation happen to me @ McDonald's, I was desperate for a job and I just said I would take what they would pay me and then the next couple of people asked for more to start and they got it, was so crappy but we also had strict rules about discussing those types of things too.

As far as answering your question directly...

WWID? I would prolly just leave it alone and try not to think about it. When it happened to me I just avoided telling anyone I made less than they did and go on... I felt in my position there wasn't anything I could do.

PrincessArky
12-19-2007, 05:30 AM
I wouldnt say anything

hunny
12-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Usually if its not a union job they can pay whatever they want to pay you, and give raises when and IF they want to.
I wouldnt say anything if you want to keep the job.

Pepsi4me
12-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Well I decided to send the supervisor an email & stated that I know I have only been there 2 months but I have been a very hard worker who got a promotion & was wondering if a raise was available especially since I already had 4 yrs of food experience. I also said the other person was talking about what they are making with no experience. I told her I really enjoy my job & plan on being there for a long time.

She called the kitchen supervisor this morning & said I'm a very hard worker that she didn't want to lose me & that she would be in on Friday to speak to me.

I just don't think ppl get anywhere in life by bitting their tongue & not speaking up.

I know I'm worth more & deserve the same pay. They are also desperate for help so I'm hoping maybe that will help.

evrita
12-19-2007, 04:19 PM
You asked and I let you know what would happen in my work place my boss wouldnt be happy actually in anywork place I have worked in. If they knew we were talking about the wages and I demanded more because I thought my worth was more. I would probally be told BUH BYE

SLance68
12-19-2007, 04:29 PM
You asked and I let you know what would happen in my work place my boss wouldn't be happy actually in any work place I have worked in. If they knew we were talking about the wages and I demanded more because I thought my worth was more. I would probably be told BUH BYE

Where I work it is grounds for termination and I have to tell all new employees that and they have to sign a form stating that they understand that is a rule here and grounds for termination. The owner has a fit if he hears anyone talking about how much someone makes. I have found 99% of the time the person "claiming" to make more money is full of BS and they probably make a lot less than they want to admit.

But congrats on the promotion - now they just need to give you the promotion pay.

buglebe
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
After I worked as a new RN for a yr they were posting the new sign on pay for new RN's and it was more than I was getting and I had been there a yr. There was another RN who had gone from LPN to RN when I was hired and she was making less than the new hire pay too. I went to my boss and told her I expected to be paid what the new hires were making. She didn't even question it. She raised my pay and made it retroactive to when the newest RN had been hired at the new pay rate. I don't know what the other RN did but that is what I did and I was happy with that. It was also a policy that we couldn't discuss salary also but this was publicized in the paper.

dcut4
12-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Most of you that would get in trouble for discussing wages work in the private work force. Pepsi works for a PUBLIC school district. I can go to the School board and find out what every employee is making...my taxes are paying for it.

In most districts they have standard wages for each job, including starting salaries in the contract. I don't see how the school board can go against the contract. That is unless the food service is contracted out, then thats a whole different story.

pepperpot
12-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Well I decided to send the supervisor an email & stated that I know I have only been there 2 months but I have been a very hard worker who got a promotion & was wondering if a raise was available especially since I already had 4 yrs of food experience. I also said the other person was talking about what they are making with no experience. I told her I really enjoy my job & plan on being there for a long time.

She called the kitchen supervisor this morning & said I'm a very hard worker that she didn't want to lose me & that she would be in on Friday to speak to me.

I just don't think ppl get anywhere in life by bitting their tongue & not speaking up.

I know I'm worth more & deserve the same pay. They are also desperate for help so I'm hoping maybe that will help.

Good for you. I just would've left off the other person, but.....it may work for you. I hope it does, you sound like a good employee and I hope they appreciate it and show it to you in your check! ;)

Let us know how it goes. :)

PrincessArky
12-20-2007, 07:53 AM
I hope it all works out for ya :)

Jean_17764
12-20-2007, 08:25 AM
:shark I would go to either my area supervisor or even the director of child nutrition and let the know what is going on They will help.. I do know this for a fact.. same thing has happened to me before and i have worked for the school dist for many,many moons. Good luck

tigger4
12-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Most of you that would get in trouble for discussing wages work in the private work force. Pepsi works for a PUBLIC school district. I can go to the School board and find out what every employee is making...my taxes are paying for it.

In most districts they have standard wages for each job, including starting salaries in the contract. I don't see how the school board can go against the contract. That is unless the food service is contracted out, then thats a whole different story.

In most districts the wages are varied. In our district starting wage for kitchen staff is $11.50 to $13.00. It can be anywhere between those two numbers. But, towards the end of the year when they start working a new budget hiring wages can change. So, someone who starts in April making $11.50 with experience might have someone else working with them that starts in November making $13.00 without experience.

Does that make sense?

JKATHERINE
12-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Regardless of what "policy" a workplace has, I think it's unprofessional and tacky to bring up other people's wages when negotiating your own. Raises/wages should be determined on your value and worth, not compared to what others get. JMO. Hope it works out for you, though.

Pepsi4me
12-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Regardless of what "policy" a workplace has, I think it's unprofessional and tacky to bring up other people's wages when negotiating your own. Raises/wages should be determined on your value and worth, not compared to what others get. JMO. Hope it works out for you, though.

I just asked her why I was started at a lower wage when I have experience & she does not.

I know I am worth more & if I didn't speak up it would bother me. We have been told that they don't hand out raises that you have to specifically ask for one.

I also wanted to let her know that this person was discussing what they make. She's very chatty & blearted out that the job was not worth the pay. I didn't discuss it with her I was just listening.

Anyway I will find out tomorrow morning.

tngirl
12-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Myself, I would not have taken a promotion if it did not come with more money. If you are willing to work for less the employer willingly pay less. In my opinion, if they want me to do more work then they need to pay me more.