PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of....

lameduch27
12-18-2007, 03:21 PM
..seeing X-mas...this is a holiday to celebrate the birth of CHRIST, not X...just ticks me off to no end!..ok...I feel better now.

tngirl
12-18-2007, 03:35 PM
About the X (http://www.starstuffs.com/xmas/xmas.html)

Europeans in the 16th century started using X in place of Christ's name as shorthand for writing Christ. The Christian monks and scholars were knowledgeable of the Greek letter X, - Chi or Khi - which is the first letter in the Greek word "Christos" or "Kristos" (Greek: CristoV) The Greek and Hebrew word "Christos" comes out "Messiah" and mean the same thing: "The anointed One." For many years the X was understood by Christian clergy and as time passed, many Christians, educated and not, were not aware of the meaning. Over time the meaning became lost and was later of perceived as a sign disrespect.

The X does stand for Christ.

ahippiechic
12-18-2007, 03:51 PM
[B]

The X does stand for Christ.

Yes, it does.

And not everyone celebrates just the birth of Christmas at this time of year.

DonnaWV
12-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I leaned something new today, thanks to tngirl
I never knew that the x stood for Christ.

PrincessArky
12-19-2007, 09:16 AM
wow I never knew that either

pepperpot
12-19-2007, 09:28 AM
What I've also found interesting is what my Dad told me years ago about the 'racial slur' "Kike"......

Kike
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Look up Kike in
Wiktionary, the free dictionary.In modern English language, the word kike is a pejorative ethnic slur referring to a Jew. In cultures where this word is a given name, it is not considered derogatory.

[edit] Etymology
The etymology of the term is uncertain. It may be an alteration of a common ending of the personal names of Eastern European Jews who emigrated to the United States in the early 20th century. The first recorded usage of the term is in 1904.[1][2]

According to Leo Rosten,

"The word kike was born on Ellis Island, when Jewish immigrants who were illiterate (or could not use Roman-English letters), when asked to sign the entry-forms with the customary 'X,' refused—and instead made a circle. The Yiddish word for 'circle' is kikel (pronounced KY - kel), and for 'little circle,' kikeleh. Before long the immigration inspectors were calling anyone who signed with an 'O' instead of an 'X' a kikel or kikeleh or kikee or, finally and succinctly, kike."[3]

In the eyes of many European Jews, a cross was the sign of Christian persecution from which they sought the refuge in the New World. According to Rosten, Jewish American merchants continued to sign with an 'O' instead of an 'X' for several decades, spreading the nickname kike wherever they went as a result. At that time kike was more of an affectionate term, used by Jews to describe other Jews, and only developed into an ethnic slur later on.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kike

So the "X" in Xmas, most definitely refers to Christ...;)

galeane29
12-19-2007, 09:30 AM
it may stand for Christ ....but why not use Christ instead of the X...to me its to elimiate Christ from CHRISTmas.

pepperpot
12-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Just shorthand for me.....when I have the time or am not writing something long, I'll spell it out, otherwise, an "X".....no disrespect intended.

freeby4me
12-19-2007, 09:52 AM
it may stand for Christ ....but why not use Christ instead of the X...to me its to elimiate Christ from CHRISTmas.

How can it be to "eliminate Christ" when it stands FOR Christ?

lameduch27
12-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the info tngirl...I didn't know that...and I know that many people celebrate different things at this time of year, but the Christmas celebration is just that...to celebrate the birth of Christ so I agree with you galeane29...whatever is done to the names of other celebrations this time of year doesn't affect me, because they don't involve me, but it does bother me to see Xmas...I understand it is a long word pepperpot...lol

galeane29
12-19-2007, 11:15 AM
How can it be to "eliminate Christ" when it stands FOR Christ?

I said TO ME .....TO ME means in MY OPINION.

Alot of people use the X to replace CHRIST in Christmas and not that it means Christ to them.

And dont start w/ me ......you even proclaim to be a pot stirer in your signature.

freeby4me
12-19-2007, 11:22 AM
I said TO ME .....TO ME means in MY OPINION.

Alot of people use the X to replace CHRIST in Christmas and not that it means Christ to them.

And dont start w/ me ......you even proclaim to be a pot stirer in your signature.

Oh MY. LMAO got your panties in a bunch today or something?
TO ME ME ME MY OPINION You sound ridiculous.
Your answer makes no sense at all. If X stands for Christ, then how is it when people write down X-Mas, they dont mean Christmas. ITS THE SAME THING!

If you dont like me ASKING a question, then put me on ignore.

PrincessArky
12-19-2007, 11:36 AM
wow cant believe this one is getting so hot :(

Yes we now know that in Greek X means Christ therefore if ppl wanna us it go ahead but there will always be some that dont........me I wont simply because although misspelling and lots of errors in my writing and typing I do it in English dont ever use Greek even if its just and X lol

galeane29
12-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Oh MY. LMAO got your panties in a bunch today or something? You sound ridiculous.
Your answer makes no sense at all. If X stands for Christ, then how is it when people write down X-Mas, they dont mean Christmas. ITS THE SAME THING!

If you dont like me ASKING a question, then put me on ignore.

Your not just asking..you seek out my posts and try to start crap.
some people dont believe in CHRIST so they dont use the X as Christ in Christmas...thats what I mean. I'm sure you will come back with some stupid comment.

freeby4me
12-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Your not just asking..you seek out my posts and try to start crap.
some people dont believe in CHRIST so they dont use the X as Christ in Christmas...thats what I mean. I'm sure you will come back with some stupid comment.

Nope. I dont think I can top yours.

galeane29
12-19-2007, 11:49 AM
EDITED You purposely try to piss me off. WHY?

ahippiechic
12-19-2007, 11:59 AM
EDITED You purposely try to piss me off. WHY?

You go off everytime someone says anything to you that you disagree with.

ahippiechic
12-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Now, back to the 'X-mas' thing.... I celebrate Christ's birth. And I spell it Xmas, because it's shorter to type. Just like I abbreviate a lot of other words also. I shorten my DD's name to "Kait" on here but we don't call her that.I shorten pictures to 'pix' too.

galeane29
12-19-2007, 12:04 PM
You go off everytime someone says anything to you that you disagree with.

NO , I am not going off...i'm just tired of the comments made that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. I give my opinion and smarties have to say crap. And why am I not allowed to ask why she is being a bitch...I have seen the word F*$k on this board alot? Bias I say!

And its not everyone there are a select few that like to what freeby4me says..."stir the pot"

ahippiechic
12-19-2007, 12:10 PM
No one was stirring the pot. If you post something, more than likely you will responded and maybe ask questions too.

And yes, you can type bitch now, but not call someone one.

lameduch27
12-19-2007, 12:10 PM
OY! Feel free to close this ahippiechic (love ya girl)...i see this turning into a pissing match having nothing to do with the topic

PrincessArky
12-19-2007, 12:12 PM
OY! Feel free to close this ahippiechic (love ya girl)...i see this turning into a pissing match having nothing to do with the topic

I think it already has :(

freeby4me
12-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Hey I asked a legitimate question and got my head bit off. Thanx Hippie for changing that post. Its one thing to bitch about something on here, its another to be called one.

lameduch27
12-19-2007, 12:26 PM
. Its one thing to bitch about something on here, its another to be called one.

Glad she changed it and I missed it...I hate name calling too

Bubblescc
12-19-2007, 12:55 PM
..seeing X-mas...this is a holiday to celebrate the birth of CHRIST, not X...just ticks me off to no end!..ok...I feel better now.

me too!

My opinion, even if X stands for Christ, it will never be the same as Christ... I know that probably doesnt make sense to most of you, but I know what I mean,lol...Its just easier to forget about the Christ when everyone is using X.

dcut4
12-19-2007, 02:25 PM
I personally use X-mas vs. christmas because for ME the season is not religious in nature.

BeanieLuvR
12-19-2007, 02:47 PM
me too!

My opinion, even if X stands for Christ, it will never be the same as Christ... I know that probably doesnt make sense to most of you, but I know what I mean,lol...Its just easier to forget about the Christ when everyone is using X.

It makes perfect sense to me. It always makes me feel sad when I see the X instead of Christ.

gmyers
12-19-2007, 03:04 PM
It makes perfect sense to me. It always makes me feel sad when I see the X instead of Christ.

It does me too.

Sweetberries
12-19-2007, 03:10 PM
The "X" in Xmas actually represent the Greek letter "chi", the first letter of the word "christos". This is yet another blatant example of the pollution of our fine language with Greek gibberish: Engreek, if you will.
Jeremy went further with the linguistic background:
You may be interested to know that Xmas is not just acceptable, it is ridgy-didg.
The X in Xmas is from the Greek character X (Chi - pronounced kie - rhymes with die). The very early Christian church being almost totally made up of ex-pat Greeks living in Palestine, their standard name for Christ (Christos)started with X (chi).
The early Christians often referred to Christ by X - his Greek initial. You can see the X symbol commonly today in the overprinted P and X symbols used by Catholics (meaning Chi & Rho - the first two letters of Christ's name).
Xmas is not only acceptable, it is probably more accurate than an anglo-saxon rendition starting with Ch

ahippiechic
12-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Closed at the OP's request.