PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr my brother

earnhardt1
12-09-2007, 06:08 PM
he bought my son a baby snake for xmas....... im gonna smack the hell outta him. i am deathly afraid of snakes..... he went to the pet store and got it.... i know that it is a safe snake and not dangerous but i am afraid of them.....
how do i overcome my fear so i dont ruin it for my son?
oh and this is a no bashing vent........ty

chazsgirl
12-09-2007, 06:13 PM
YUCK! Well I suggest super glue the lid on and close your eyes when it eats live or dead mice! lol... in all seriousness there is probably no getting over this just put it in your sons room and keep the door closed! I hate snakes ewwww... that and I love mice, go figure! Good luck!

magenta
12-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Have your son take care of him with help from his Dad. I had a ball python. I HATE mice so I loved watching him eat! lol

Just make sure your son washes his hand before he picks the snake up. Mine bit me, I was told it was probably cuz he smelled something he didn't like or wanted to eat on my hands. How do you know really though? I had him for about 4 years before I got bit. It hurt like a MFer!

SLance68
12-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Make it live at your brothers house. The only snakes I like are dead ones. And yes I know there are more non poisonous than poisonous ones but it doesn't matter - a snake is a snake is a snake. And that includes the one that lives in my planter on the front of my house. He is a 5 to 6' black snake and I swear he loves to be stepped on and screamed at a lot. Although my neighbor keeps wanting to catch him and cook him.

earnhardt1
12-09-2007, 06:22 PM
yea hubby says he will help him take care of it....... i have held one once at the science center in pittsburgh but they creep me out..... my son said he will take care of it,the bad thing is my hubby has wanted one since we started living together and i told him if he ever got one i would move out lol...

iluvmybaby
12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
What kind of snake is it? Maybe this will be a good opportunity for your son to learn responsibility through taking care of a living animal. Tell him he needs to keep good grades and feed it or it goes ((that gives you an out)). Tell us what you decide to do!

earnhardt1
12-09-2007, 06:36 PM
i think it is a baby boa.....
he has fishand dog already that he takes care of but the snake thing creeps me out
but i will adjust to it
i am kinda hoping he is lying

ilovecats
12-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Well,I guess it was kind of mean of your brother,knowing you are afraid.If your hubby and son can handle it without you,you should be alright.Just keep his door closed at all times.:)

earnhardt1
12-09-2007, 07:11 PM
yea my brother has a warped sense of humor lol
but he will have kids one day and pay back is fun lol

ilovecats
12-09-2007, 07:46 PM
yea my brother has a warped sense of humor lol
but he will have kids one day and pay back is fun lol

lol.It sounds like you are planning ahead.Family-gotta luv em.

earnhardt1
12-09-2007, 07:48 PM
lol.It sounds like you are planning ahead.Family-gotta luv em.

yea they got married in sept (they are 24 and 21) and are trying to conceive.... i cant wait

sheila_361
12-09-2007, 07:52 PM
OMG! I would've died from fear if someone had given my boys snakes, I'm deathly afraid of them.

PrincessArky
12-09-2007, 07:55 PM
wow my bro teased me about giving my kids snakes for Christmas this year he has about 2 dozen different ones YUCK.......I doesnt have boas anymore but be careful those little ones although not posioneous they do bite more often than most of the others he has had

MistyWolf
There is no way in hell I'd keep a pet that someone gave me or my child as a gift if I didn't want it in the first place!

If that were my brother, he'd be the proud owner of a baby snake!

aussiegirl
You can always tell him what I would tell someone that bought me a pit bull. Take it out back, I'll go get my gun.

Bliss
12-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Yuck! My son wants a snake so bad. I refuse to allow him to have one. I told him once you move out, you can have whatever your heart desires. You are not getting one while you live in my house, I am not taking care of it.

Tasha405
12-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Yuck! My son wants a snake so bad. I refuse to allow him to have one. I told him once you move out, you can have whatever your heart desires. You are not getting one while you live in my house, I am not taking care of it.

Thats the exact conversation I had with my oldest son, word for word! :lol

DBackFan
12-09-2007, 08:24 PM
You can always tell him what I would tell someone that bought me a pit bull. Take it out back, I'll go get my gun.

OMG...lol

okie
12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
The snake would be staying at my brother's house.

earnhardt1
12-10-2007, 01:29 AM
well hubby said IF my younger brother buys this snake for him he will build a nice solid locking cage for him.... my little man said lsat night "mommy,if your gonna be sad and scared i will let it go free" i told him no he can keep it but i dont want anything to do with it until i feel comfortable.... he said"mommy i'll teach you we can do it step by step together" i was crackin up

Shann
12-10-2007, 02:30 AM
No bashing... did you know they generally grow to 10 feet long, some grow to 14 feet?!?! That thing is going to be over TWO shannon's LOL that's how I measure things, by me ;) As I don't mind snakes, they don't scare me, hell I used to play w/ gardner snakes when I was younger, there is NO way in hell I would be able to keep an animal that eats another live animal. Not to mention I absolutely adore mice... yes I'm sure I'm the only one here, but they are very sweet creatures, a lot nicer than any hamster in the pet store. You should check out this site and see if you are up for what is in store and honestly ask yourself if your son and DH are going to be able to take care of it. I'd also have a talk w/ that brother of acceptable and not acceptable gifts for your child, that was a really crappy thing of him to do knowing you were scared of them. You are a lot nicer, if I ever have children and my brother were to give then a tarantula, that thing wouldn't even come close to getting inside the house and my bro sure wouldn't like the words coming out of my mouth to him. http://www.boatips.com/boaconstrictors/

earnhardt1
12-10-2007, 05:34 AM
hubby had one in the past before me.... lol a 13 footer
the more i read this i feel like im gonan kill my brother adn husband.....
if they hadnt asked junior if he would like one i could have talked them outta it i think.... i have a cage that is 6ftx 4ftx3ft hubby just has to finish building it.. iwas gonna use it for the bird that died

Army-Mom
12-10-2007, 06:04 AM
I wouldnt get any sleep at night knowing there was a snake in the house.

tnfuhs
12-10-2007, 06:32 AM
I wouldnt get any sleep at night knowing there was a snake in the house.

Me either, I'd be having a lot of nightmares!!

MistyWolf
12-10-2007, 06:43 AM
I don't care if DH and brother asked my kids or not if they wanted an animal I didn't want in my house .. It's not coming inside. And I am not afraid of snakes .. I just think it's wrong for someone to buy a gift for a child like that without discussing it with BOTH parents!

Aussie, I hope Amy likes her kitty she's getting for Christmas ;) Maybe I'll get Robert a tarantula!!!

earnhardt1
12-10-2007, 08:32 AM
i want to smack him for not talking about it with us.... i am very openminded and prob would have said yes... and i know i will learn to like the snake.... it will grow on me i know that

sheila_361
12-10-2007, 09:02 AM
When I was 15 I locked my little brother out of the house, he was trying to chase me around with a gardner snake, I got in trouble for locking him out and he didn't get into any for chasing me with that horrid snake..lol

PrincessArky
12-10-2007, 09:51 AM
When I was 15 I locked my little brother out of the house, he was trying to chase me around with a gardner snake, I got in trouble for locking him out and he didn't get into any for chasing me with that horrid snake..lol

OMG so is your brother the golden child in the family??? We have one of those we always got in trouble and he never did.......still that way lol

MistyWolf
12-10-2007, 11:51 AM
When I was in K I got on the school bus and this older kid brought a garden snake to school with him and scared the living crap out of me with it. I didn't know it was just a garden snake .. all I know is it was a snake and was sticking it's tongue out on my leg .. I about died. When I was little I was afraid of snakes, but I am not anymore .. lol.

aussiegirl
12-10-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't care if DH and brother asked my kids or not if they wanted an animal I didn't want in my house .. It's not coming inside. And I am not afraid of snakes .. I just think it's wrong for someone to buy a gift for a child like that without discussing it with BOTH parents!

Aussie, I hope Amy likes her kitty she's getting for Christmas ;) Maybe I'll get Robert a tarantula!!!

Misty, I'm sure Amy/Robert will love those gifts. I just hope the girls like the cigarettes and vodka I got them.

sheila_361
12-10-2007, 05:52 PM
he was the baby of the family so in mom's eyes he could do no wrong..., he turned out to be a wonderful man though....