PDA

View Full Version : After surgery pains

lymi
11-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Ok, my back surgery was 3 1/2 weeks ago. My leg hurts worse than before the surgery. When I try to walk down the street, it is just horrible. The dr gave this reason. The nerve had been pinched and trapped for so long, that after they released it in the surgery , it is "waking up". The compression on the nerve made it not work, and now that it is free and working, it will hurt worse for a while than it did before the surgery. I know a lot of ya'll have had back surgery. Does this make sense to ya'll? Have ya"ll experienced this?

DBackFan
11-30-2007, 12:16 PM
That makes sense I guess but I had the same type surgeries and never had that happen. I am so sorry lymi.

I feel ya though i had shoulder surgery 1 week ago and I am in awful pain plus one handed for a month.

Prayers for swift recoveries for both of us :hug

lymi
11-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Sorry that we are kinda soul mates in that way. But I am so tired of feeling sorry for myself. You give me somebody else to put my thoughts towards. I hope you aren't in much pain. Do you have the tens unit too?

bpl76
11-30-2007, 01:23 PM
I personally have not had back surgery, but my ex husband did and he had the same problem you are having. It did go away after a while. Hoping you recover quickly.

pepperpot
11-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Hope you feel better soon.

krissy904
11-30-2007, 01:54 PM
secret to life - oxycodone. no bashing, yes I am kidding (or am I???)

Bliss
11-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Secret to life in morphine or any prescription pain killer. :chillpill

I had back surgery a few yrs ago, My legs went numb for a long time (it felt strange walking. I couldn't feel the ground.) I can't recall if they ever hurt.

Hope u feel better.

Barcode
11-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi Lymi..yes that makes sence, I remember it took a few weeks. Glad to hear everything went okay for you.

tljohn123
12-01-2007, 05:29 PM
It certainly does make sense. When mine was done, I have the awfullest leg cramps for prolly 3 months. And they go away I promise. Feel better hon!

Mary_Jo3
12-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Hope everyone feels better soon.

cathych
12-02-2007, 08:04 AM
I know I had knee surgery & thought I was going to die, literally could not walk for a while. Post surgical pain is really bad, (ask anyone who has had a c section & THEN has to take care of a baby full time, OMG). I don't have experience with back surgery, but I have had lots of back pain. Why don't you see if it would be better to rest or exercise the area? Also, would heat help?? Sometimes getting into a very hot bath & sitting for a long time (take a book with you) is the only thing that gives relief.

sunniekiss
12-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I had spinal surgery almost 4 years ago & now my foot is just waking up. It feels like burning pins & needles.

I honestly don't know what to tell you to try. Prescriptions meds do help but can be so addicting. When it is bad I try to just walk a bit on my treadmill & then take a bubble bath. That seems to help some what.

{{hugs}}

PrincessArky
12-03-2007, 04:50 AM
I sure hope that you get to feeling better soon

lymi
12-03-2007, 07:56 AM
THanks for all the support. At least I know I am not alone. It sounds like some of you had it rough and I have a long road ahead of me. At least I am a fighter. My husband said I was kinda high on the pills yesterday. I got mad and showed him the bottle which is nearly full. He said he didn't mean anything by it. He knows only one can do that to you. The grandkids came this weekend. Hope I didn't overdo it. I sure am sore today. anyway, thanks everyone.

tljohn123
12-03-2007, 09:03 AM
You can NOT take a bath until your doctor says you can. NO NO NO!!! I had to wait 4 months before I could take a bath. You won't even be able to get down into the tub! The reason I had to wait so long is because I had major problems. Your wounds are still fresh and you cannot get that soapy dirty water into it yet, you'll wind up with more problems.