PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a BAT in your house???

Out2Lunch
11-26-2007, 05:26 PM
OMG......One night last week, I was home alone. All 3 of my kids went to Bristol to see the Speedway in Lights(Thanks to Aunt Morgan!!) and my dh was at his buddies shop helping him out. Anyway, dh calls me on the way to his friends shop, after he had gotten out of school. We had been talking a few minutes and then I saw something FLYING in my livingroom. I had just turned off the lights in there but it was somewhat lit by the kitchen. I screamed bloody murder and ran into my room and shut the door.

My scream scared Dh and he came home and helped me look all around the house, but we found nothing. He knew I had seen something because of the shrill I let out....lol I told him it was either a small bird or a bat, but I thought it was a bat. I had HOPED that maybe it made it's way outside somehow when he got home. He asked me if I wanted to go with him to the shop, but I said I'd be ok. Didn't hear/see anything until......

Fast forward to 2 nights ago.

You know how you can incorporate things in real life into your dreams?? Well, I was hearing something in my dream and it made me wake up. But guess what, it wasn't a dream. It was the bat FLYING OVER OUR BED and running into the walls!!!! OMFG.....I literally almost had a heart attack. I yelled at dh and thought I woke him up, but I didn't. I ran out of the room, down the hall, and flung open the front door. Had it WIDE open at about 3 o'clock in the morning....lol. Not to mention that it was about 30 degrees out that night. The dang thing followed me down the hall and into the living room and I PRAY it went out the door. I know they are blind, but I was hoping it could feel the cold...lol I left the door open forever, but I started to pass out and had to sit down. I don't remember ever being that scared in my life.

I dont have a problem with bats, as long as they are NOT FLYING IN MY HOUSE. I sure hope that sucker is gone or I'm gonna call animal control to come get it.

ahippiechic
11-26-2007, 05:30 PM
OMG, that would be freaky!

gmyers
11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
That would have freaked me out too! I don't mind them outside the house as long as they stay away from me. But inside I would have left the house and let him have it.

BigLyd1
11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
That is freaky. Not trying to get off the subject, but what state are you in?

freeby4me
11-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Oh my that really would be something! Do you have animals? Not to scare you or anything but you maybe you should call animal control as bats are known to carry rabies. JUST AS A PRECAUTION! Not trying to scare you or anything! They're really much more deathly terrified of you than you are of them (although the shriek you let out may leave it up to question LOL)
Let us know if it comes back!

pepperpot
11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Ever had a BAT in your house???

No, I've never met my MIL......:paranoid

Out2Lunch
11-26-2007, 06:21 PM
I live in TN.

We dont have animals. I *think* it must have flown in when I was getting the car seats out for the kids that first night. The kids have a tendancy to leave the door wide open.:getyou

I think I may call animal control tomorrow, just to see what they think I should do if I happen to see the critter again.

Out2Lunch
11-26-2007, 06:22 PM
No, I've never met my MIL......:paranoid

LMAO:rofl:

magenta
11-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Yes, I had a bat in my house twice. (2 different houses) The first was when DD was a baby, I was taking her up stairs to put her to bed. It swooped, I screamed my guts out, DH thought someone was up there trying to kill me.
He thought he caught it in a bath towel & let it out. Nope, seen it 2 nights later, I was home by myself w/ baby. The neighbor guy came weilding a hammer when he heard me screaming. He killed it with the hammer. Took a chunk out of the drywall too. I didn't care.

The other one was just this year, DH killed it w/ a broom. I hate them, I won't go out at dusk. They can come in the smallest of holes and cracks just like a mouse.

YankeeMary
11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes, I had a bat in my house twice. (2 different houses) The first was when DD was a baby, I was taking her up stairs to put her to bed. It swooped, I screamed my guts out, DH thought someone was up there trying to kill me.
He thought he caught it in a bath towel & let it out. Nope, seen it 2 nights later, I was home by myself w/ baby. The neighbor guy came weilding a hammer when he heard me screaming. He killed it with the hammer. Took a chunk out of the drywall too. I didn't care.

The other one was just this year, DH killed it w/ a broom. I hate them, I won't go out at dusk. They can come in the smallest of holes and cracks just like a mouse.

LOL...which do you hate worse? Mouse or Bat? HEHE...I just remember another post that you stated how bad you HATE mice...lol.

magenta
11-26-2007, 07:23 PM
LOL...which do you hate worse? Mouse or Bat? HEHE...I just remember another post that you stated how bad you HATE mice...lol.

Oh Gosh! I couldn't pick. Rodents of any type. Bats are flying rodents! LOL! My skin gets prickly just thinking about them.

YankeeMary
11-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh Gosh! I couldn't pick. Rodents of any type. Bats are flying rodents! LOL! My skin gets prickly just thinking about them.

LOL It isn't funny but its so funny, I can just imagine you saying this in real life with all expressions etc...just funny.

magenta
11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
LOL It isn't funny but its so funny, I can just imagine you saying this in real life with all expressions etc...just funny.

I am glad you are having fun with this. While I sit here w/ hives on my neck and my feet on my computer chair!

delSol
11-26-2007, 08:02 PM
a whole new meaning to "bat crap"

i would die - good luck!

Barcode
11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Yes, we rented a house one time in Georgia and the kids bedrooms were upstairs. We were there about two weeks and starting smelling the most god aweful smell and I called the man who owned it and He told me it was mothballs in the attic to keep bats away. AHHHH.. say what? Well, by the months end we had to move the kids downstairs, because the bat droppings and urine running down the walls (old house, warped molding along ceilings) Well, we all stood outside each watching a different angle of the house and the total was 765 bats counted flying out of the house at dusk.

I called a lawyer and the health dept, and took the guy to court to get our money back. We were able to stay there rent free until we found another house. Took 4 months to find another house. We would have maybe 4-5 flying in the house a week. Even had one on the back of my shirt and under the lamp shades.

They are protected in Ga and you aren't allowed to kill them.
The landlord wasn't allowed to rent/sell the house til they were gone. Don't know whatever happened as I was just happy to get out of there.

ilovecats
11-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Yes, we rented a house one time in Georgia and the kids bedrooms were upstairs. We were there about two weeks and starting smelling the most god aweful smell and I called the man who owned it and He told me it was mothballs in the attic to keep bats away. AHHHH.. say what? Well, by the months end we had to move the kids downstairs, because the bat droppings and urine running down the walls (old house, warped molding along ceilings) Well, we all stood outside each watching a different angle of the house and the total was 765 bats counted flying out of the house at dusk.

I called a lawyer and the health dept, and took the guy to court to get our money back. We were able to stay there rent free until we found another house. Took 4 months to find another house. We would have maybe 4-5 flying in the house a week. Even had one on the back of my shirt and under the lamp shades.

The landlord wasn't allowed to rent/sell the house til they were gone. Don't know whatever happened as I was just happy to get out of there.

omg!Just the bat itself thread was giving me chills.For some reason I never even thought of them going potty!:fool :lol :headshake :wow

okie
11-26-2007, 11:27 PM
No and I hope that I never do!

lassss
11-27-2007, 05:34 AM
hehehhe yes I had a bat in my apt a long time ago. I will never forget that experience. I fell asleep on the floor while watching tv and woke up to a bat flying in circles above my head. I screamed and it flew into the bathroom and got stuck in the curtains lol. I used an ice bucket to capture it against the wall and let it go outside

cabby92
11-27-2007, 06:15 AM
We get one or two a year. A few months ago one got in my son's room and we found it dead on the floor the next morning. I felt kind of silly but I called his doctor since I had heard you can't always tell when they bite. The ped was concerned and called the health department and they called some state agency in Harrisburg. Before the day was out I had white suited haz-mat people crawling around my house and they sent the bat overnight to be tested for rabies.

Luckily it turned out to be fine but it gave me a healthy fear of the little rodents.

Out2Lunch
11-27-2007, 08:05 AM

Holy Cow....I couldn't even imagine.....:s:

flute
11-27-2007, 08:46 AM
not in our house but at school one time!

swan0002
11-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Also had this happen twice (in 2 diff houses). First time dh killed it. The second time I was home alone and never found it. I called an exterminator the next day and here's what he said.... We can come over and help ya look for it but that could be very expensive. Best thing to do, he said, was to leave lights off and windows open so the bat could get out. He said it couldn't live more than 3 days inside. Well it must have gotten out b/c when I sold the house a few years later I never did find any little bat body!!

PinkAquila
11-27-2007, 10:17 AM
OMG......One night last week, I was home alone. All 3 of my kids went to Bristol to see the Speedway in Lights(Thanks to Aunt Morgan!!) and my dh was at his buddies shop helping him out. Anyway, dh calls me on the way to his friends shop, after he had gotten out of school. We had been talking a few minutes and then I saw something FLYING in my livingroom. I had just turned off the lights in there but it was somewhat lit by the kitchen. I screamed bloody murder and ran into my room and shut the door.

My scream scared Dh and he came home and helped me look all around the house, but we found nothing. He knew I had seen something because of the shrill I let out....lol I told him it was either a small bird or a bat, but I thought it was a bat. I had HOPED that maybe it made it's way outside somehow when he got home. He asked me if I wanted to go with him to the shop, but I said I'd be ok. Didn't hear/see anything until......

Fast forward to 2 nights ago.

You know how you can incorporate things in real life into your dreams?? Well, I was hearing something in my dream and it made me wake up. But guess what, it wasn't a dream. It was the bat FLYING OVER OUR BED and running into the walls!!!! OMFG.....I literally almost had a heart attack. I yelled at dh and thought I woke him up, but I didn't. I ran out of the room, down the hall, and flung open the front door. Had it WIDE open at about 3 o'clock in the morning....lol. Not to mention that it was about 30 degrees out that night. The dang thing followed me down the hall and into the living room and I PRAY it went out the door. I know they are blind, but I was hoping it could feel the cold...lol I left the door open forever, but I started to pass out and had to sit down. I don't remember ever being that scared in my life.

I dont have a problem with bats, as long as they are NOT FLYING IN MY HOUSE. I sure hope that sucker is gone or I'm gonna call animal control to come get it.

When I first read your title, I thought it said Brats in your house, and I do have three of those...lol

Barcode
11-27-2007, 12:14 PM
LOL Pink.. Unfortunately they are protected by law too..

Chelle66
11-27-2007, 07:46 PM
I have in 2 of the apartments we had rented, I swear they are attracted to my 17 year old LOL

make me run everytime LOL!

ilovecats
11-27-2007, 07:50 PM
hehehhe yes I had a bat in my apt a long time ago. I will never forget that experience. I fell asleep on the floor while watching tv and woke up to a bat flying in circles above my head. I screamed and it flew into the bathroom and got stuck in the curtains lol. I used an ice bucket to capture it against the wall and let it go outside

Well,you are much braver than I am.I am afraid to kill bugs(so afraid if I get close enough it might get on me.lol)There is NO way I would have done that.Someone else would have to do it.If I lived alone I would call someone else.

lazydaisy
11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Well,you are much braver than I am.I am afraid to kill bugs(so afraid if I get close enough it might get on me.lol)There is NO way I would have done that.Someone else would have to do it.If I lived alone I would call someone else.

Just a while back I almost wrecked, I turned to my left to see if I could pass and there was a ladybug on my arm. OMG all bugs scare me to death!

The bat would have definately have me screaming and running for cover.

ilovecats
11-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Just a while back I almost wrecked, I turned to my left to see if I could pass and there was a ladybug on my arm. OMG all bugs scare me to death!

The bat would have definately have me screaming and running for cover.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

earnhardt1
11-28-2007, 02:06 AM
oh hell i would have been under the blankets screaming like a school girl....... lmao i love bats but not in the house.....

whatever
11-28-2007, 06:41 PM
When I first read your title, I thought it said Brats in your house, and I do have three of those...lol

LOL< funny stuff.
Okay i can beat this. we too have had bats flying over our bed. that was acouple years ago.They come in any cracks they can find in your house. We were sitting outside on our deck one night this early fall and it was dusk and i said (looking at our house) what was that thinking birds don't swoop late at night in pairs. And pretty soon another pair came out out of our overhang and they just kept coming out. I bet we had 30 or more of them come out that night. So the next night we waited till they were all out and my dh had to make sure to seal up all the wholes. None since then.

rlynn411
11-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Years ago I went out into our back yard during the afternoon and there was something near our pool skimmer basket. At first I thought it was a leaf - but then it occurred to me that all the leaves were on the trees and green - not brown. I creep a little closer and its a bat! My neighbor was in her back yard and seen me slinking around the pool to get to our leave skimmer. I'm trying to splash water at this thing to get it to move on - only manage to irritate it it, then it starting making whatever noise it is that bats make. So at that point I decide he had it chance and now it's fate was in my hands. So I put the skimmer net over it, push it down into the water until it dies. (Then shocked the pool) Neighbors son (12) is out there saying you can't kill it over and over. Informed that child that yes I can. I will and can coexist with wild life as long as it's not within my space. Felt bad about it for about 2 minutes and got over it. Later that week our local paper had an article about the bats in the area and it was a bad year rabies wise.

ladybugva
11-30-2007, 09:03 AM
i had to laugh when I read your post. We went to a cabin in the mts a few months ago and were getting ready for bed when mom yells BAT!! sure enough one was flying around in the cabin. The Loft had a door on it so it was closed w/ the boys in it. DH opens the door and peeks says that a bat 3 ft long flew by puts a pillow on is his head and trys to get down stairs to help dad. So doors slaming, other opeining, mass chaos... Well by AM he as gone (we think it came down the chemeny) the next am we find a small dead bat on the floor, think it's gone (was near the window prob. ran into it and died) DH says they are nasty just flying rats.

Well next night I am on the couch thinking I see something in the corner o my eye but don't see any thing when I look Figure it was a moth, no BAT!! my turn to yell.. Dad is telling me to prop the front door, I am hiding outside their window now the boys are freaking out... such a mess but sure was a exciting story to tell.

ladybugva
11-30-2007, 09:06 AM

Sorry will try to stay out of your car next time :rolling

tigger4
11-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I have never had a bat in my house (knock on wood).

But all I can think of is that scene in the Great Outdoors with John Candy and Dan Akroyd trying to catch the bat. I am about to die from laughing. Sorry. :lol

ilovecats
11-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Sorry will try to stay out of your car next time :rolling

lol.