PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Help Daughter With Turkey Vultures

mirage7000
11-26-2007, 03:36 PM
I think that's what they are and they are poking holes in her screened in pool area. She was freaking out today yelling and screaming to chase them away. Her dh called someone to find out they are a protected bird.:yikes The only reason I could think of they want in there is gas grill. She hadn't cleaned it and there was alot of grease. Anyone know how to deter them and why they are poking holes in the screens? Could I be right that they were smelling the grill? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

JaneG
11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Controlling Turkey Vultures That Have Become Pests

Due to their destructive nature or posing threats to aircraft, turkey vultures often become a pest that needs controlling. These birds are protected under the Migratory Bird Act of 1918 which prohibits the use of some control methods.
The most effective method of control involves the use of a combination of professional repellers. Combining sound deterrents with visual deterrents will bring better results, by far.
The best sound deterrents are those which have a variety; having a variety of sounds keeps pest birds from becoming accustomed to any one sound or type of sound. (There are sonic and ultra-sonic sounds to consider.)
Bird-X has developed a great bird repeller unit that uses three basic types of sounds, with dozens of variations or combinations possible in one unit. Ultra-sonic is a very good repeller yet it has its limitations: the sound travels in straight lines without bending around or going through objects. Used as a stand alone bird repeller, ultrasonic units usually fail in the long term as birds (especially smart birds) will get accustomed to the irritating ultrasonic unit.
Combining ultrasonic with audible scare is the best way to repel Turkey Vultures and keep them under control.

I don't know if that helps or not. It was taken from this (http://www.pestproducts.com/turkey-vulture.htm) site. Good luck.

ahippiechic
11-26-2007, 04:02 PM
My mom used to have a problem with them and she put up windchimes and they pretty much stay away. They used to get on her back porch, but don't anymore.

mirage7000
11-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Controlling Turkey Vultures That Have Become Pests

Due to their destructive nature or posing threats to aircraft, turkey vultures often become a pest that needs controlling. These birds are protected under the Migratory Bird Act of 1918 which prohibits the use of some control methods.
The most effective method of control involves the use of a combination of professional repellers. Combining sound deterrents with visual deterrents will bring better results, by far.
The best sound deterrents are those which have a variety; having a variety of sounds keeps pest birds from becoming accustomed to any one sound or type of sound. (There are sonic and ultra-sonic sounds to consider.)
Bird-X has developed a great bird repeller unit that uses three basic types of sounds, with dozens of variations or combinations possible in one unit. Ultra-sonic is a very good repeller yet it has its limitations: the sound travels in straight lines without bending around or going through objects. Used as a stand alone bird repeller, ultrasonic units usually fail in the long term as birds (especially smart birds) will get accustomed to the irritating ultrasonic unit.
Combining ultrasonic with audible scare is the best way to repel Turkey Vultures and keep them under control.

I don't know if that helps or not. It was taken from this (http://www.pestproducts.com/turkey-vulture.htm) site. Good luck.

Thanks! She has like 10 or more landing on her screened in area and roof. I am also up north in NY. I just have no clue how to handle something like this. I will tell her! DD was born in NY so she is baffled! Everytime I go down it is a new experience with critters and bugs.

mirage7000
11-26-2007, 04:22 PM
My mom used to have a problem with them and she put up windchimes and they pretty much stay away. They used to get on her back porch, but don't anymore.

I will tell her to do that too! Thanks! Probably from living up North I have no clue. Remember going to visit and I went outside and heard what a neighbor said was a cat bird. Thought we were gonna get attacked by some wild cat. I think you would have to live down there for years to get used to the sounds. Some people would have to get used to blizzards were I live. Such a different living thing. So different from North to South!

JaneG
11-26-2007, 04:25 PM
What state is she in? We have turkey vultures in this area (well, about 10 miles north of here...close enough) too but they tend to hang out near the dump and the highways...road kill, yum. :lol

JaneG

That sounds like a good idea.

loris520
Thanks! She has like 10 or more landing on her screened in area and roof. I am also up north in NY. I just have no clue how to handle something like this. I will tell her! DD was born in NY so she is baffled! Everytime I go down it is a new experience with critters and bugs.

LOL Im in GA and I have not seen them yet. Im from Buffalo,NY and when my mom comes down here she also has experiences with the bugs and critters lol
Im telling you there are bugs as big as my face down here. In ny we had Flies,bees and ants lol

lassss
11-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Turkey vultures hone in on dead things. Is it possible that some kind of animal died inside the screened in area? Wind chimes sound like a great idea but check around for anything that might have crawled in and died too

ahippiechic
11-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm from TN and we had skeeters big enough to about carry me off. Out here in AZ everyone calls these skeeters HUGE. They're about the size of a gnat back home, lol!

mirage7000
11-26-2007, 04:44 PM
LOL Im in GA and I have not seen them yet. Im from Buffalo,NY and when my mom comes down here she also has experiences with the bugs and critters lol
Im telling you there are bugs as big as my face down here. In ny we had Flies,bees and ants lol

I am also in the Buffalo Ny area! I swear that those darn red ants love NY blood. I get attacked massively every time I visit her. I can stand the ants. bees and non biting ants here. Guess it just freaks me out! I left with so many insect bites that I hurt for two weeks. Really!

freeby4me
11-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Are they scared of a certain kind of bird?? I remember reading somewhere about birds running into large living room windows or the sliding doors and someone put up bird decals and it kept them away, wonder if something of the same would work??

The only other thing I could think of would be to sit out there with a water gun or real good squirt bottle and squirt them when they get near LOL

mirage7000
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Turkey vultures hone in on dead things. Is it possible that some kind of animal died inside the screened in area? Wind chimes sound like a great idea but check around for anything that might have crawled in and died too

I keep thinking its her grill that she hasn't cleaned. She said it was loaded with grease. I did see on a website that they have a keen sense of smell. Honestly I don't know. They also said on a website because so many homes were built and the trees are gone that they lived in.

Mom2Shaun
11-26-2007, 06:02 PM
God, that just sounds so awful! And after looking up what they look like, I would say this sounds like a scary movie!

JaneG
11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
God, that just sounds so awful! And after looking up what they look like, I would say this sounds like a scary movie!

:lol yeah, rent the movie The birds and watch it with her! :five:

Mom2Shaun
11-27-2007, 01:25 AM
:lol yeah, rent the movie The birds and watch it with her! :five:

Yup, that's what it reminds me of, except this is even worse . . . because they're vultures!

mirage7000
11-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Yup, that's what it reminds me of, except this is even worse . . . because they're vultures!

I can just imagine what that movie would have been like with vultures!:yikes :yikes It would have been at least double scarier!

mirage7000
11-27-2007, 03:27 AM
Are they scared of a certain kind of bird?? I remember reading somewhere about birds running into large living room windows or the sliding doors and someone put up bird decals and it kept them away, wonder if something of the same would work??

The only other thing I could think of would be to sit out there with a water gun or real good squirt bottle and squirt them when they get near LOL

With the size of those things you would have to have a decal the size of your house to scare them off! lol As far as a squirt gun I can only tell you I run when I see like two hovering above me. lol I must say my daughter has guts chasing off 10 that have landed on her house.The thing with her is damaging the screen on her patio. If I was there I'd be more like run for your life! Seeing birds like that gives me the creeps!

freeplease
11-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Not to be mean, but why doesn't she just clean her grill? lol

Has she tried tying pie pans together? We hang them out by the pool, on those plant hooks, and it keeps the hawks away. They make noise, they catch the light when they move, and I think that's what keeps the birds away.

mosdata1
11-27-2007, 07:15 AM
She needs to keep her grill cleaned. Vultures have a very keep sense of smell. They can smell dead flesh from over 1 mile away!
I also had a hard time adjusting to the bugs down here (frm NYC originally). Until I moved down here, biting ants was something you just read about in school - I absolutely HATE those fire ants.

mirage7000
11-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Not to be mean, but why doesn't she just clean her grill? lol

Has she tried tying pie pans together? We hang them out by the pool, on those plant hooks, and it keeps the hawks away. They make noise, they catch the light when they move, and I think that's what keeps the birds away.

That was the first thing she did when I mentioned maybe clean the grill. She at first thought it wasn't that bad but hubby does the grilling. When she went to look at it she was shocked! Yep hubby is not a clean grill cook. lol She went and sprayed down with easy off oven spray and the drip pan was full. Maybe that will get rid of those buzzards! I just can't imagine though that they would be after a dirty grill. Will tell her to hang pie pans together. That sounds like a good idea.

YankeeMary
11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I am also a transplant from the north to the south. Everything is much bigger here then they are up home. The crows here are bigger then most small dogs for real. It amazes me that there are soooo many many did I say many bugs down here. Not just bugs but BIG bug...ewwww. Maybe if she gets a big dog that would keep them away. I would try anything those things are UGLY. I wish them luck.