PDA

View Full Version : item sold on ebay for 3700.00 for my sister. should i take paypal?

Njean31
11-25-2007, 08:02 AM
the winner really wants to pay with credit card through paypal. i only want a us postal money order. i am afraid that with the credit card and or paypal, he can do a charge back or complain and they will refund. i would simply freak the f out if they took the money back and he kept the item. can that happen? tia

JKATHERINE
11-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Oh, I dunno. I'd be scared, too, with that amount of money. I think I'd probably insist on a postal money order or a cashier's check and wait until either cleared before sending the item.

freeby4me
11-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Did your auction say money order only??

buttrfli
11-25-2007, 08:07 AM
If you said that you want a MO, then thats what they should send... the fees on that amount through paypal are going to be outrageous.

I sold a car once and the buyer tried to pay through paypal and paypal wouldn't let him pay that much. He kept getting a msg that the amount he was trying to pay exceeded my daily balance of $3000 ... not sure what that meant, so I just had him send a certified check instead.

tsquared
11-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Money order or certified check would be the only forms of payment i would accept

krissy904
11-25-2007, 08:42 AM
screams potential scam. protect thyself.

Njean31
11-25-2007, 08:42 AM
thanks for your replies. yes, i did state in the auctions (actually there were 2, one sold for 611.00 and the other was 3700.00) that money order and cashiers check would be the only form of payment accepted, but both winners are wanting to pay with paypal. the highest one is wanting to do a credit card through paypal. i just won't accept the payment. can't risk that kind of $$$ and paypal is really notorious for siding with the buyer.

DrGrin
11-25-2007, 09:21 AM
thanks for your replies. yes, i did state in the auctions (actually there were 2, one sold for 611.00 and the other was 3700.00) that money order and cashiers check would be the only form of payment accepted, but both winners are wanting to pay with paypal. the highest one is wanting to do a credit card through paypal. i just won't accept the payment. can't risk that kind of $$$ and paypal is really notorious for siding with the buyer.

If your auction stated money order or cashiers check only, they can either pay using either of those methods or take a negative feedback for being a non paying bidder.

Did your auction have the paypal logo inserted on the page? If so, you may be obligated to take paypal whether you want to or not. You can't refuse a credit card payment if you have paypal logos displayed on your auctions. It's on of the paypal rules. However if you didn't have those logos on your auction page, they are out of luck. They have to abide by your terms.

dv8grl
11-25-2007, 09:25 AM
i have to agree with everyone. stick with a cashiers check / money order!!!! PLUS, the paypal fees alone would be enormous! :motz: LOL!

Njean31
11-25-2007, 09:28 AM
If your auction stated money order or cashiers check only, they can either pay using either of those methods or take a negative feedback for being a non paying bidder.

Did your auction have the paypal logo inserted on the page? If so, you may be obligated to take paypal whether you want to or not. You can't refuse a credit card payment if you have paypal logos displayed on your auctions. It's on of the paypal rules. However if you didn't have those logos on your auction page, they are out of luck. They have to abide by your terms.

thanks but no, the paypal logo wasn't on the page. and i forgot to say that both of these auctions are second chance offers so they are actually not obligated to buy it. the auctions did not meet the reserve prices so they are being offered to the highest bidders, but both are wanting to do paypal. can't do it. thanks again for all your replies and advice.

longpants
11-25-2007, 09:30 AM
be careful accepting a money order - alot of the scammers are actually able to reproduce them -

Njean31
11-25-2007, 09:33 AM
be careful accepting a money order - alot of the scammers are actually able to reproduce them -

thanks, i will. i stated U.S. postal money order. don't look like they are actually going to sell because no one wants to send one. wah:(

Njean31
11-25-2007, 09:36 AM
here's a link to the auction, or the second chance offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330192437122&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=014

dor1969
11-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Njean31.......this is way off topic, but I just wanted to tell you that your avatar is so beautiful!! Good luck with the e-bay sale, I hope it all works out for you.

MistyWolf
11-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Your sis can always contact the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame and see if they're interested in that item. Seems like a good item to be put on display there.

And if you stated US postal money order than you shouldn't budge on other payment options .. it states so right there .. if they don't have the cash, than they shouldn't bid.

Njean31
11-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Njean31.......this is way off topic, but I just wanted to tell you that your avatar is so beautiful!! Good luck with the e-bay sale, I hope it all works out for you.

thank you!!!

Njean31
11-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Your sis can always contact the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame and see if they're interested in that item. Seems like a good item to be put on display there.

And if you stated US postal money order than you shouldn't budge on other payment options .. it states so right there .. if they don't have the cash, than they shouldn't bid.

that is a good idea. i'll see what she thinks about it. don't want to take a chance with paypal and that seems like all everyone wants to do even though my feedback is good and i've been a member of ebay for 7 years.

MistyWolf
11-25-2007, 12:29 PM
that is a good idea. i'll see what she thinks about it. don't want to take a chance with paypal and that seems like all everyone wants to do even though my feedback is good and i've been a member of ebay for 7 years.

I live in Cleveland so if you need a number to call them let me know.

cathych
11-25-2007, 01:07 PM
you can take paypal and wait until the money clears also. It is just like in a store. You don't get the item until you pay the merchant. Whenever I sell on paypal, I never send out things until the money clears.