PDA

View Full Version : Should newbies & people with very low post counts be allowed to participate in =FORUM PRIZES=?

Kyla Kym
11-23-2007, 02:30 PM
I just seen we have a new forum gift prize giveaway that will be picked by random post count number. And I noticed that there were some newbies & some people with low post counts that have signed up for it.

Most of the other forum sites I go to, have rules about that. Newbies can't enter, or anyone with a lower post count than 100 can't enter.

The reason for the rules is so there will be

A. No speculation if a newbie wins, that it might be one of the board employees/owners doing it under another handle, as a way to not really have to give a gift.

B. To prevent members from signing up more than once for the same contest under other handles. We pretty much know that most members wouldn't have time to post allot on 2 separate handles unless they are really, really bored all the time. :)

C. They say that it's a way to let the members who participate at the board allot know they are appreciated for their continued support.

What do you guys think?
Should BBS have rules for the contest?
Yes or no?

vicky122
11-23-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't care. Things like this doesn't bother me at all. I say good luck to all.

freeby4me
11-23-2007, 02:38 PM
I say HELL NO. Its not fair to those who have been here.

ahippiechic
11-23-2007, 02:39 PM
If we make it to where they had to have 10 posts or whatever, they'd just go post 'thank you' 10 times really fast. I try to check out they newbies anyway, for duplicate accounts, so if they did win, then we found out they had more than one account, they shouldn't be eligible for the prize tho.

buttrfli
11-23-2007, 02:39 PM
I think the point of the giveaway is to get more people coming to the site and using the main page to shop. I think all contests have rules, but I seriously doubt that Alex will make any like that.

ahippiechic
11-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Are you talking about the Amazon one? If so, those who are entered have to actually make a purchasing using that link, so the reward is for helping him make some money. So it wouldn't matter if they are a newbie or not.

Sadly, we don't get rewards just because we talk alot.

Kyla Kym
11-23-2007, 02:48 PM
If we make it to where they had to have 10 posts or whatever, they'd just go post 'thank you' 10 times really fast. I try to check out they newbies anyway, for duplicate accounts, so if they did win, then we found out they had more than one account, they shouldn't be eligible for the prize tho.

You read it wrong, I said 100 not 10. ;)

And the duplicate accounts would be a toughy anyway. Because they could sign up from a family members home under another handle. Like if I wanted to be dishonest on here I could sign up under another account at my store. I have a different ISP there than I do at home. And I use a different computer. So it's not impossible for sure. But if they have to have at least 100 count, that might be a little harder to keep 2 handles with allot of post on them. But not impossible for sure. :)

ahippiechic
11-23-2007, 02:50 PM
You read it wrong, I said 100 not 10. ;)

And the duplicate accounts would be a toughy anyway. Because they could sign up from a family members home under another handle. Like if I wanted to be dishonest on here I could sign up under another account at my store. I have a different ISP there than I do at home. And I use a different computer. So it's not impossible for sure. But if they have to have at least 100 count, that might be a little harder to keep 2 handles with allot of post on them. But not impossible for sure. :)

I can see some of these people posting 100 thank you's too, lol!

I know what you mean tho. It's just that these contests aren't to reward us for being longtime members, they're to get people to use BBS links when shopping.

YankeeMary
11-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I understand what you are saying but with this contest, it isn't about BBF its about BBS, where post count really means nothing. Its about shopping through the link to generate money for the owner. Now if it was a BBF contest then I completely agree post count or time here should matter.

Kyla Kym
11-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I think the point of the giveaway is to get more people coming to the site and using the main page to shop. I think all contests have rules, but I seriously doubt that Alex will make any like that.

Are you talking about the Amazon one? If so, those who are entered have to actually make a purchasing using that link, so the reward is for helping him make some money. So it wouldn't matter if they are a newbie or not.

Sadly, we don't get rewards just because we talk alot.

I just think it's a really big prize, and should be reserved to loyal BBS members. I figured it was a way to get us to start using the click throughs again when we purchase.

He could lure newbies in with $5 & $10 dollar rewards, just as easily as he could with a $50 dollar one. All I'm saying is the great big ones should be reserved say to bring back the old members that use to participate allot.

I'm not trying to force him to change his rules, I'm just wondering if he thought to make any. And was thinking for the past year the board has been about what the members wanted, and we haven't been ignored like in the past....I just thought maybe it was going to stay open to new ideas. So that's why I started the poll....and before someone says it's Alex's board, and he can do what he wants...yes,...I know...I know... :)

ahippiechic
11-23-2007, 03:00 PM
I didn't mind your posting about it, it's cool. I like hearing everyone's opinions on things.

But honestly, loyalty doesn't mean a lot around here. He's rewarding those who shopped thru his link, I'm sure he doesn't care how many posts they have.

ljtaylor
11-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I've been here for quite some time now and my post count is under a hundred. So that wouldn't be fair to me since i don't post often.

JKATHERINE
11-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Speaking of newbies...does anyone think they could get Alex/Jon/Brandon to install that software that doesn't allow people to post a link in their first post here? I think it would take care of some spammers...

ahippiechic
11-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Speaking of newbies...does anyone think they could get Alex/Jon/Brandon to install that software that doesn't allow people to post a link in their first post here? I think it would take care of some spammers...

There not suppossed to be able to, but some know how to get around it. The ones who don't know, just post 10 'thank you's', then post their spam.

ahippiechic
11-23-2007, 03:26 PM
I've been here for quite some time now and my post count is under a hundred. So that wouldn't be fair to me since i don't post often.

Yes, that would be another concern. Some people have been here longer than me but just don't run at the mouth on here like I do, so they have WAY less posts.

Kyla Kym
11-23-2007, 03:27 PM

Honestly, post count is not at all what this poll was to be focused on. It's about should there be rules in place or not for the big give aways?

Maybe you could think of some good rules for the give aways?
Or maybe it just doesn't matter, and none of should care one way or the other.

It's just a simple poll...

PrincessArky
11-23-2007, 03:47 PM
I voted that they should be allowed to sorry if I disagree with alot of ya but thats just how I feel

Kyla Kym not to nit pick but the title is

Should newbies & people with very low post counts be allowed to participate in =FORUM PRIZES=?

and then you say this........Honestly, post count is not at all what this poll was to be focused on

so now I am confused are you mainly talking about newbies?

Kyla Kym
11-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I voted that they should be allowed to sorry if I disagree with alot of ya but thats just how I feel

Kyla Kym not to nit pick but the title is

Should newbies & people with very low post counts be allowed to participate in =FORUM PRIZES=?

and then you say this........Honestly, post count is not at all what this poll was to be focused on

so now I am confused are you mainly talking about newbies?

Yes, I was just thinking about that.

I put it in the title & post because when I started the poll I was thinking about rules, and reasons for the rules I had seen on other boards. So that's why I said that. But I was really trying to focus on if we should have rules in place for these contest. I should have worded it better. I just had other boards on my mind and the fact that they had rules, and "why they had them" on my mind.

Sorry I didn't word it better, I'm not to good at that.

dv8grl
11-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Why does it matter if they are old or new? They have to abide by the "rules" of the contest.. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE $50 AMAZON GC, right?

I don't see what the big deal is, they have to buy something from AMAZON (thru the BBS link) to be elidgible.

JaneG
11-23-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm new here and I think the OP has a valid point. But, since you have people here with low post counts that have been here a while...maybe an either/or kind of qualifier. Say that people who have been somewhat of an active member for a couple of months (or whatever you think it appropriate), or if someone has over 100 posts. Just a thought.

PrincessArky
11-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Sorry I didn't word it better, I'm not to good at that.

oh sweetie dont worry about that.......has been a long day and now I am in the middle of the Razorbacks trying to give me a freaking heart attack lol so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misreading something lol

Kyla Kym
11-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Why does it matter if they are old or new? They have to abide by the "rules" of the contest.. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE $50 AMAZON GC, right?

I don't see what the big deal is, they have to buy something from AMAZON (thru the BBS link) to be elidgible.
YES we are talking about the $50 Amazon one, and any in the future that will be posted.

It's not a big deal. It's a simple poll about if there should be rules or not about who should get to participate. Yes anyone should be able to do it, but there will be some that are dishonest and sign up multiple times with new handles so they have better odds of winning. Other boards have problems with being accused of winning the contest themselves so they don't really have to shell out the money. And that's why they have such rules in place like I mentioned earlier. To protect their good reputation, and to make it fair as possible for all.

Anyway, I wish I had of never started this poll now, since I didn't word it right. Because I can see now that I'm just going to have to keep trying to explain my screw up.:hang

dv8grl
11-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Anyway, I wish I had of never started this poll now, since I didn't word it right. Because I can see now that I'm just going to have to keep trying to explain my screw up.:hang
Ask a mod & have it deleted.

lassss
11-23-2007, 04:32 PM
I think the whole idea of giving away gc is to get new people to join and participate. Obviously lurkers can't enter the contest so what better way to get new members to join then hold a giveaway. It is a random pick of the entries so it is fair.

BeanieLuvR
11-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I understand what you are saying but with this contest, it isn't about BBF its about BBS, where post count really means nothing. Its about shopping through the link to generate money for the owner. Now if it was a BBF contest then I completely agree post count or time here should matter.

I agree. Since they are having to buy through BBS to enter then everyone who buys should be included.

YankeeMary
11-23-2007, 07:35 PM

I think it is just a fine poll. I don't think it is screwed up at all, maybe because I am screwed up...haha. I think you worded it just fine IMO as I understood exactly where you are coming from and what you are saying. As well as no one is:getyou :getyou :getyou LOL...so obviously its a good job...lol.:dancing:

tsquared
11-23-2007, 07:37 PM
The way i look at it is I have rotten luck anyhow so if a new person enters or an older member enters i wont win.......just how my luck runs..........so i dont really care how many posts they have or dont have.........however i do think something like this is important for a secret santa or swaps like that

PrincessArky
11-23-2007, 08:01 PM
The way i look at it is I have rotten luck anyhow so if a new person enters or an older member enters i wont win.......just how my luck runs

lol I hear ya

MistyWolf
11-23-2007, 09:28 PM
For exchanges it should matter but for a contest it shouldn't .. and there are a lot of ppl here that are long time members, in good standing who just don't post a lot .. that wouldn't be fair to them to say they don't have enough posts. JMO.

Crick
11-24-2007, 06:26 AM
The way i look at it is I have rotten luck anyhow so if a new person enters or an older member enters i wont win.......just how my luck runs..........so i dont really care how many posts they have or dont have.........however i do think something like this is important for a secret santa or swaps like that

I agree. Plus I've had nothing but bad experiences when I tried to buy through Amazon and refuse to order through them ever again so I'm not eligible for the "prize."

tngirl
11-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Yep, those who said the prizes were to get newbies to come to BBS is right. If they haven't really cared about us before, why would they start now? Notice the new button at the top of the forum index? And I know that a few days ago the usercp changed with the referrel message at the top.

But, you can't really complain because Alex is trying to get BBS up and running again and making money. If it wasn't for him making money then there wouldn't be a forum for us to play on. As for contest, I just don't see myself winning any so I could really care less.

belleofpa
11-26-2007, 06:45 PM
I say HELL NO. Its not fair to those who have been here.

Well, I've been here for years even though I dont post as much as you do.

MistyWolf
11-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Well, I've been here for years even though I dont post as much as you do.

Exactly my point!

selena21
11-28-2007, 10:35 AM
instead of post numbers...why not length of membership...
although i don't have a ton of posts, i have been a member for quite a while....7 years
i just dont post that much

belleofpa
11-28-2007, 08:30 PM
instead of post numbers...why not length of membership...
although i don't have a ton of posts, i have been a member for quite a while....7 years
i just dont post that much

Right, thats what Misty and I both say.

swan0002
11-28-2007, 10:57 PM

I've been a member for over 7 yrs and still don't get the real difference btwn BBS and BBF. So, I'm guessin' that my opinion wouldn't really matter. LOL