PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy a pre-lit tree

gonnascream
11-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Dh got me a pre lit tree last year. Today we go to put it up, and none of the light are working ! Do you know what a pain it is to undo the lights then re-string them ??? OMG I am sticking to just the old fashioned trees from now on, cause if one light decided to take a dump, they all do.

freeby4me
11-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I guess this is where your username is correct eh. Jeez that sucks bad. Hope things get better!

gmyers
11-22-2007, 03:40 PM
What makes me mad about christmas tree lights is I buy a new set, plug it in before putting it on the tree and they all work. Put it on the tree and they wont work. That really ticks me off. I wonder why they do that.

Army-Mom
11-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I bought a pre-lit tree last year so now I am worried rather it will light up when I put mine up..I also bought some extra lights to go on it also...I want to put mine up next Sunday.. I used to do it the day after Thanksgiving but since the children are all grown and gone...it just isnt as fun.

BeanieLuvR
11-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I saw them at Kmart and was thinking about getting one. I will stick with my old fashioned one after hearing what happened to you. Sorry that happened. It stinks.

MistyWolf
11-22-2007, 05:13 PM
My sister has a prelit and she's had it for I think 4 years and it has worked every year so far. So, they aren't all bad.

cpbaby
11-22-2007, 05:35 PM
I bought a pre-lit a few years ago at Rite-Aid and a few weeks after I put it up, the top part stopped working. I called the 800# on the box and they sent me a new top. I have had no trouble since. I always put more lights on it, too, though.

This year though, I am waiting on my pre-lit pink tree to come. I cant hardly WAIT!

ahippiechic
11-22-2007, 06:04 PM
We've had our for 3 years so far, and before that we had a 7 ft prelight that rotated and never had a problem with it.

froggman
11-22-2007, 06:06 PM
sorry to hear about your bad luck with your tree.
I have a pre-lit tree that rotates. I have had it for about 5 years now and I haven't had any problems with it. I bought it at K-mart. It was $179.99 and in my opinion well worth the money.

A0305
11-22-2007, 06:10 PM
I have used the same prelit tree for the past 3 years and put it up tonight without any problem. I guess I have been lucky.

Mine has the white prelit lights so I add a string of the multicolor and they are beautiful.

Mom2Shaun
11-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Boy, that would make me want to scream too!

freeplease
11-22-2007, 10:56 PM
I got a pre-lit last week at Kohls. We went to put it up tonight, and a third of the bottom stack didn't light up. I checked it, and the wire was hanging loose, with a knot in it. It wasn't wired to the rest of the plug ins. Just hanging there! I knew it was too good a deal. Guess who has to lug a tree back to Kohls tomorrow? Cripes, and I just wanted to avoid that mess tomorrow.

PrincessArky
11-23-2007, 03:11 AM
I had that problem with my fiber optic tree lasted one yr then it was done :(

iluvmybaby
11-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Dh got me a pre lit tree last year. Today we go to put it up, and none of the light are working ! Do you know what a pain it is to undo the lights then re-string them ??? OMG I am sticking to just the old fashioned trees from now on, cause if one light decided to take a dump, they all do.

We bought two years ago on half price clearence after Christmas for last year, we plugged it in before we stored it and when we took it out, 1 string of lights didn't work, we were SO mad because it hadn't been used at all! We restrung it, what can we say, we're rednecks!

rlynn411
11-23-2007, 12:38 PM
We have 2 prelit trees for 4 or 5 years - Have never had a problem.

callsheb
11-25-2007, 07:55 PM
I have had one for 3 yrs also and it has always worked this would be the 4th year but this year we are not putting up our tree instead my dh bought me at a auction tonight a brand new set of 5ft santa and mrs claus that sing and dance they sell for 99.99 at kmart and we got both for 100.00 so we will not have room if i put the tree and both of them up so this yr we will do the santa and mrs claus since we will have most of our grandkids spending the night on xmas eve.

stater
11-26-2007, 08:33 PM
I have a prelit tree as well. This is my 3 or 4th year using it. It is also fiber optic which part of that seems to have bit the dust tonight. They still light up, they just don't change colors anymore. But the regular lights work fine. For whatever that tells anyone.

JaneG
11-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I bought a pre-lit tree a couple of years ago (got it at a really good price at the time) and my son was helping me to get the lights figured out this year. It seems that in each of the plugs (the white lights have 3 or 4 plugs going into each other..and the color lights..ditto) at the base of the plug itself is a little compartment with 2 fuses. If one of those is loose or blown the lights won't work. Just replace the fuse. My tree came with a baggie of extra fuses. Good luck.

Urban Cowgirl
11-27-2007, 04:40 AM
This thread had me paranoid, because I bought one after christmas last year. It was a $200 one I got for $20 at Target, we put it up last night and it is beautiful.

I was thinking of getting rid of my old tree, but thanks to your post I am going to keep it just in case my new one dies!!!

Also my new tree has white lights and some years we opt for colored!