PDA

View Full Version : Why do people get so rude during holidays?

lymi
11-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Has anyone else ever noticed that the people get so much ruder during the holidays??? I know everyone is tired of shopping and spending so much money and huge crowds. It's such a shame that the time when we should all reflect and care more is the time when we get grumpier. The dr has given me ok to shop for short periods of time. I have to wear a huge back brace. I am so busy watching out that nobody runs in to me or anything. I was at the store the other day, and a man with a cane cut me off. The wheel of my basket caught his cane which brought my basket to a screeching halt. It hurt like all get out cause I jolted into my cart. He was just like," sorry" . And went on. One of those sorries that was kinda rude. Kids are awful. My husband wants me use one of those motorized wheel chairs. But they have so few of them, what if someone needs it worse than me???? I have found such an understanding for the handicapped. This is temporary for me. It is the way of life for so many people. I feel like I am walking in their shoes for a short time. I've complained before because some stores have way too many handicapped parking spaces. I now understand more. The dr said I would only be capable of being out for about 30 minutes at a time. The muscles are laying on the screws he implanted, with much friction, contracts them and causes pain. I would love to use a handicapped spot. But once again, I see people who need them so much more then me. I personally am gonna make an extra effort in the future to be more concerning of others when I am shopping. Ok, I've vented enought for now. Thanks

ahippiechic
11-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Stress maybe?

freeby4me
11-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Those carts are there for people who need them. YOU NEED ONE right now. Thats OK. If you take care of yourself right now, you'll get better quicker. (((HUGS))) to you!

LuvBigRip
11-20-2007, 09:15 AM
When you are in pain, no-one needs that motorized cart more. Anyone who would, probably has one. My mom has had a few mild strokes and tends to get tired easily. I finally talked her into using the ones that are offered. That is what they are there for. If you shop at the store, you helped pay for them. Use them. My Mom is almost 70 and wants to make sure "old people" can use them. I keep telling her, she IS the old people...LOL. I used them when I broke my ankle, could I walk on crutches, yes. Could I walk on crutches and push a cart, hardly.

LuvBigRip
11-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Those carts are there for people who need them. YOU NEED ONE right now. Thats OK. If you take care of yourself right now, you'll get better quicker. (((HUGS))) to you!

LOL, great minds....

kabcrisp
11-20-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't know if people are ruder. . .

But I think we place more importance on the time of year and expect things to get better or be better. . .

It's the same ole rudeness we get all year long but the fact that it's christmas times makes us think attitudes should improve.

JMHO!

Merry Christmas or whatever floats your boat!

BigLyd1
11-20-2007, 10:15 AM
When you are in pain, no-one needs that motorized cart more. Anyone who would, probably has one. My mom has had a few mild strokes and tends to get tired easily. I finally talked her into using the ones that are offered. That is what they are there for. If you shop at the store, you helped pay for them. Use them. My Mom is almost 70 and wants to make sure "old people" can use them. I keep telling her, she IS the old people...LOL. I used them when I broke my ankle, could I walk on crutches, yes. Could I walk on crutches and push a cart, hardly.

Yep, I agree. Use that cart. Plus you'll be more protected, shielded. I broke my ankle earlier this year. And I did use that cart a few times. Even when I was down to one crutch, it was still hard to push a shopping cart or do other things with one hand.

freeby4me
11-20-2007, 10:16 AM
LOL, great minds....

LOL I guess so!!

suprtruckr
11-20-2007, 12:56 PM
My husband wants me use one of those motorized wheel chairs. But they have so few of them, what if someone needs it worse than me????

a disabilty is a disabilty whether it's temporary such as what you say yours is or a permanent one such as many of us here have. USE THE CHAIR :rolling

magenta
11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm saying it too use the chair and the parking spots.

I have no idea why so many people are rude. Except maybe they feel over-whelmed. I know I do around the holidays.

loris520
11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
a disabilty is a disabilty whether it's temporary such as what you say yours is or a permanent one such as many of us here have. USE THE CHAIR :rolling

ITA you need to use the chair. Thats what they are there for. I hate to judge people but I have seen people use those chairs before just because they are overweight and dont feel like walking.... You have had back surgery you need to use the chair. I hope you get to feeling better soon :)

Shann
11-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I agree, you should def use the chair, you're in pain and you need it. :hug

I don't know why ppl become nastier during the holidays, I'm rude all the time so no matter what season, there is no change :rofl: j/k!

ilovecats
11-20-2007, 07:22 PM
I agree too.You need the chair,use it.That's why it is there.

ssgjeg
11-21-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm saying it too use the chair and the parking spots.

I agree. And most people i see using the chair are just overweight and probably would do better with the exercise of walking. And at Walmart especially the people who usually use the handicap spots have no right to do so.

As for rudeness I just think it's because there seem to be more people shopping during the holidays. More people=more rude people. My mom used to say that some people don't leave there house to shop all year but come out at christmas. She said every nut in the world is out shopping during the christmas season.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

suprtruckr
11-21-2007, 06:56 AM
And most people i see using the chair are just overweight and probably would do better with the exercise of walking.
ASSumptions are just as rude

not all disabilities are visible i guess if you saw me in my chair you would call me a lazy fat ass?
yes i'm overweight, no i can't lose it as a couple of my meds have steroids in them and no i can't walk long distances because of reduced lung function and a screwed up knee

Army-Mom
11-21-2007, 07:17 AM
LOL, great minds....

I agree..praying you start feeling better soon.sending marshmellow hugs also.

JustDoIt
11-21-2007, 08:06 AM
My mom, who is overweight, also needs the chair because she has arthritis, and cannot walk for more then say 10 minutes without getting all cramped up. I would hate for anyone to look at her and sneer, thinking she was just a fat woman using the chair.

But yes, I agree with everyone else. You seem to be a prime candidate for the chairs, and that was what they were put there for.

And yes, I think people in general become a lot more crabby because they wait too long to get what they need, then it's amd dash to get everything. That's what causes the major back-ups at the cashes, and that's when rude people show their true colors. That's why I'm almost finished my shopping LOL.

tljohn123
11-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Use the blasted chair!!!!! They are there for your use. And I make good use of them when I need to. The ones that make me mad are the kids that just take them cuz they are way too lazy to walk and they thinks it's fun. And I'm talking 10 or 11 year olds!

herother
11-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Hope the Holiday spirit finds it way to the people around you soon!!

Though I have never used the motorized thingys, I remember sitting in one of the front seats on a bus when I was in the 11th grade and and older lady got on and she and the other passengers up front just all started talking about me and giving me looks because I did not offer my seat to her. They were plenty of other ones available a few seats back and when I did take the bus I usually did give up my seat. But this particular day I was hurting pretty bad. Though you can't just look at me while I am sitting and tell, I have a crooked spine, nerve damage in my neck, carpal tunnel syndrom, rheumatoid arthritis, one working hip...and the list goes on. I was dragged by a truck when I was 4 and they did nothing at the time because I was too young for the corrective surgeries and when I got older my parents just couldn't afford it. In the last 10 years, I have had 7 surgeries, all of which took place in ER. Doctors throughout the years have tried to put me on disability but I have refused to believe that I am "not able nor capable." One doctor even asked me why I am slowly paralyzing myself to make another man rich by continuing to work. Well, I still am not on disability nor do I have a handicap plate, but I keep on moving about thinking that one day I will get used to the pain. So, I know how you too feel that "someone else may need these things more than you," but some days you just have to give in and take care of yourself.

lymi
11-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Oh my. That is such a bad story. They always say someone always has it worse than you. I'm sorry you are that one for me. Sounds like a rough life. Since you were so young, do you have memories of you accident?? My heart goes out to you. Yes, some people that really need the chairs, do look like they don't. Other people just dont know what their affliction is. I'm so sorry you have had a whole life of medical things and more to face. But I am proud of your will. Some people can drown in their own self peity, but you have faced it head on. The dr says I will have problems with my back the rest of my life. I hope I can have half the strenght you seem to have. I think I will. I had a father who taught me to fight and not give in. I can't stand laziness. I love to do things outdoors, and I plan to continue. I will just have to learn moderation. But not too much. I always joke about how old I am, but I am actually still kinda young(47). I plan on enjoying a lot of things left in my life. Thank you for your story. I hope and pray things will improve for you. My heart goes out to you. Hugs

herother
11-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I remember everything about it. I can still remember the paramedic's face when he scooped me up and ran down the stairs with me. He had to have been in his 20s. I remember the whirlpool baths twice a day to get all the dirt and glass out of my flesh and what was left of my skin. It was terrible. I even remember what I was wearing.

As for my will, it isn't always there. Some days I would rather shoot my toe off to have a different pain to concentrate on. Some days I wanna crawl in a hole and pull the dirt in over me. But on those days I think about this one day I spent with some friends at an event for people with disabilities. I didn't want to go in the first place but decided to go after some friends begged and pleaded with me to go with them. After a while of being there, I was so irritated with the loud music until I looked over at my friend who is completely deaf and she was dancing around having a good time feeling the vibrations from the music. Later that day, I bumped into a guy who was smoking a cigarette and it accidentally burned my arm. His buddy looks at me and say, "It must suck to be you right about now." HE HAD NO ARMS!!! Sure, I know he was joking, but that's just the thing. The person we may think has it worse than us may look at us the same way. I learned a lot that day.

Just a few weeks ago, I was on the phone with my mother and trying to curl my hair at the same time. I was using a salon style curling iron which gets awfully hot and burned a good chunk of hair off since I was paying more attention to my mother than what I was doing. I let out a few choice words and told her what happened. She started laughing and said, "See, at least I won't be running around with my hair looking like yours." My mother wears wigs. She lost all her hair a long time ago.

PrincessArky
11-29-2007, 06:40 AM
I think some ppl are just rude all the time.........wanna meet my mom lol but we take more notice during the holidays cause we expect ppl to at least try to be nice

tntsmom
11-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Hun, I sure hope you would use one of the chairs!! I myself am disabled and don't have one single problem with you using one!! If you need it you need it! You should not have to walk around a store with a back brace on, you should sit in the comfy chair and try to relax!

As for people being rude when shopping, I totally understand. I think everyone gets tired of all of the crowds and decide to take it out on someone else! Or they are rude to begin with and don't give a crap about other people's feelings!

Urban Cowgirl
11-29-2007, 08:14 AM
People are rude this time of year......I went shopping on BF and three different people pinned me between my cart and theirs....keep in mind I am very pregnant, due Dec 3. I about blew my frickin top. The only reason I went I was hoping all the walking would start my labor.

Then the same day as was getting ready to go into cvs and a woman was in front of me. This man came flying out the door and knocked her coffee out of her hand, it went flying and made a hell of a mess. He did finally say sorry but it seemed very insincere, I would have at least offered to replace her coffee.