PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

iluvmybaby
11-16-2007, 09:50 PM
This is a solid 7 days of dealing with my insomnia. I have been plagued with it off and on most of my adult life. I don't take prescription sleep aids, and I try not to take those PM OTC things like Tylenol PM etc. It is 11 PM and last nite I slept all of 3 hours. I have a problem with getting to sleep and staying asleep. It seems when I do take OTC sleeep aids, I fall asleep but am back up in two or three hours and then can't go BACK to sleep. Medically, I have been checked out for the cause for my insomnia, there is nothing physically wrong with me. My doctor wants to do a sleep study on me but I have no insurance, so you can imagine how expensive that would be. I would be screwed if I didn't get to see my Doctor on a sliding scale cost, Walmart and the $4 prescriptions have saved my life more then once, and my budget too!

BLAH insomnia sucks:getyou

PrincessArky
11-16-2007, 10:12 PM
having the same problem tonight myself :(

gmyers
11-16-2007, 10:29 PM
The only way I can get to sleep at night is to take the over the counter pain killer sleeping pills. I do have sleep apnea I have slept sitting up for seven or more years. I need to get the machine where I can breath lying down but we have so many medicines to buy I can't afford it.

Lori63
11-17-2007, 03:47 AM
I go through spells of this. I think now it's because of feeling like I have so much to do. I got 5 hours of sleep last night, but am averaging 4.

Adra
11-17-2007, 05:58 AM
I have problems sometimes too. My problem I think has more to do with my abuse as a child and memories popping up. Nightmares and perhaps a show I have watched that stirs up memories that is better for me to not think about. The cause of my insomnia may be different, but what I do may help you.

THis is going to sound so weird but when I can't sleep, I change the linens on my bed and (subconscious-weird psychology trick on myself) most of the time I can get to sleep after.

There is a chemical in turkey and (warm) milk that relaxes people and allows them to get to sleep.

A warm bath, really low music, and sometimes just going to a different bed. Also ***whisper*** sometimes sex will help you get to sleep. All of these things have helped me.

I hope you get relief soon, it is so tiring and frustrating to not be able to rest.

Prunella
11-17-2007, 12:03 PM
I had/have the same problem. What really helped me was moving my alarm clock across the room so I couldn't see the time. Now when I wake up in the middle of the night, I don't end up thinking "oh s**t, it's 3:00" so I'm able to go back to sleep.

tngirl
11-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I get about one good nite's sleep a month, if you want to call 6 straight hours a good nite's sleep...lol. My kids were always great, they were so protective of my sleep. If I was asleep they wouldn't wake me up for anything unless it was a real emergency. My brother actually got mad at my son about it...lol.

earnhardt1
11-17-2007, 12:46 PM
its been hard sleepin here last night the lil man was up till 10:30 coughing then i had a sore throat and went to be at 2 am got up at 7 to hear him screamng and crying that his ears we hurting.. so we went to the er and we both have doube ear infections

tracey74
11-17-2007, 10:27 PM
benadryl works wonders to make you sleepy. also have you ever been tested to see if you are hyperactive or have adult ADHD? my hubby was hyperactive as a child and was on ritalin and only slept like 2 hrs a night as a kid and as an adult now he sleeps a little more than he used to but its unusual for him to sleep 8 hrs a night usually 4hrs(if he goes to bed at 3 am hes up again at 6 or 630 am)also try sleepytime tea(herbal tea made by celestial seasonings) or even chamomille tea thats suppose to help relax you and make you tired.they also say melatonin(i think its called) is an herbal supplement to help you sleep.

lassss
11-18-2007, 05:25 AM
I swear by ambien CR, it helps you fall asleep and stay alseep. I know you said you don't like to take sleeping pills but these are great and no side effects

Fred12
11-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Have you tried Unisom? It has helped me in the past.