PDA

View Full Version : Just curious.....about your kids and their chicken feeding habits? :-D

Kyla Kym
11-15-2007, 07:20 PM
When I grew up the only way people ate fried or baked chicken was on the bone...that was the normal thing to do. There wasn't things like chicken nuggets, breast strips, chicken tenders, etc...

The only time I ever remember having chicken that didn't have a bone was about in the 6th grade. We went to the new mall in Texarkana and they had a restaurant called chic-fil-a (can't remember now how to spell it, but you all know the restaurant I'm talking about right?)

Anyway people pretty much ate their chicken off a bone back in the 70's and early 80's.....but my son was born in 1987, by then everyone was eating things like nuggets, fillets, strips, etc....so my son grew up pretty much starting out eating boneless chicken and he finds it disgusting to eat it off the bone....he acts like we are cavemen for eating it that way...:D

Anyone else's kids act weird about eating chicken with a bone in it? :laugh:

ahippiechic
11-15-2007, 07:23 PM
My DD acts that way. If it has bone or skin, she makes faces, lol! I only buy boneless, skinless anyway. I even get the bone-out, skinless chicken wings. When I buy chicken I want chicken, not bone and skin that I can't eat.

Kyla Kym
11-15-2007, 07:30 PM
My DD acts that way. If it has bone or skin, she makes faces, lol! I only buy boneless, skinless anyway. I even get the bone-out, skinless chicken wings. When I buy chicken I want chicken, not bone and skin that I can't eat.

My yard dogs just told me to tell you: "That's fighting words pilgrim!"

They sure would miss getting the scraps around your house. :D

ahippiechic
11-15-2007, 07:31 PM
My yard dogs just told me to tell you: "That's fighting words pilgrim!"

They sure would miss getting the scraps around your house. :D

See, I have nothing here to eat the scraps!

ahippiechic
11-15-2007, 07:33 PM
When I 1st saw the title , I started to post that my kid didn't have any chickens to feed!

JewRican
11-15-2007, 07:39 PM
The only bone in chicken my son will eat is spicy bbq wings from Pizza Hut and fried chicken legs. My youngest daughter will only eat fried chicken legs everything else is boneless. My oldest is just like her daddy and will eat anything (except for oatmeal) that I put in front of her.

BTW, aren't chicken bones bad for dogs? I thought they splintered?

Kyla Kym
11-15-2007, 07:49 PM
The only bone in chicken my son will eat is spicy bbq wings from Pizza Hut and fried chicken legs. My youngest daughter will only eat fried chicken legs everything else is boneless. My oldest is just like her daddy and will eat anything (except for oatmeal) that I put in front of her.

BTW, aren't chicken bones bad for dogs? I thought they splintered?

I knew someone was going to say that! :D

I've always heard that too, but I've been feeding my big yard dogs chicken bones, even those needle looking kind for over 24 years now and never once have any of my dogs had problems from it. I've been putting bones out allot here lately for them. I've never had a dog get choked or anything from it. They are always healthy happy acting pretty dogs. :)

My outside dogs are slow eaters though...they don't gulp their food like hounds do. So I think they must really chew it up good first or something. I would probably be afraid to feed them to a hound that gulps food without doing much chewing first. I wouldn't feed them to my yorkie either, she has a tendency to gulp meat products so she will never get any chicken bones. :) I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I just know that I've never had problems with the dogs I've had that ate them.

Kyla Kym
11-15-2007, 07:50 PM
See, I have nothing here to eat the scraps!

I know, I was just being silly. :)

ilovecats
11-15-2007, 07:51 PM
With the exception of my 18 yr old daughter who has been A vegetarian for 3 yrs,My kids don't have an issue with bones but do seem to prefer chicken cutlets.

ETA-Happy Steve Irwin Day!

Fred12
11-15-2007, 07:59 PM
My kids won't eat it off the bone either and to be honest I don't either. But when I was growing up we were the same way. Never heard of chicken nuggets or strips. All I buy now are boneless breasts and tear the skin off of them.

PrincessArky
11-15-2007, 08:24 PM
most all of our chicken is on the bone we get great deals at the pilgrim store in DeQueen and all my kids have a thing for chicken legs which btw I wont eat myself but about once a week I have to cook some up for them and we change from fried, baked, to bbq just to keep it lively lol

suprtruckr
11-15-2007, 08:24 PM
you peeps hush with the chicken and meat threads :rolling

damned ramen noodles

Kyla Kym
11-15-2007, 08:33 PM
most all of our chicken is on the bone we get great deals at the pilgrim store in DeQueen and all my kids have a thing for chicken legs which btw I wont eat myself but about once a week I have to cook some up for them and we change from fried, baked, to bbq just to keep it lively lol

Can anyone go to that store? Or is it employees only like the Tyson store is? Mom quit Tysons a month ago, and I know I'm going to miss getting that stuff dirt cheap. :)

Kyla Kym
11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
you peeps hush with the chicken and meat threads :rolling

damned ramen noodles

They would be mighty tasty with a little chicken in them! :D

MistyWolf
11-15-2007, 08:38 PM
I HATE chicken on the bone and only buy boneless chicken breasts. Every now and than I'll buy the Banquet frozen chicken pieces and the family will eat it. But that is on rare occasions. I don't really buy chicken nuggets either .. just boneless chicken breast.

BigLyd1
11-15-2007, 08:42 PM
I guess I'm the oddball here. I love chicken including chicken on the bone. And I love chicken skin, when it's well-done and crunchy. I go to El Pollo Loco and go crazy over the chicken skin.

And I do eat boneless skinless chicken too. But no chicken nuggets or strips for me.

YankeeMary
11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I do not eat chicken at all...ewww...but get this, when my kids or dh get chicken from like KFC or another type chicken place, I get the skin off their chicken...lol. Can't make myself eat chicken but love that crispy skin. Weird eh? And my crew will eat chicken anyway you make it, on the bone, off the bone, diced, sliced, minced, they don't care.

Eyore
11-15-2007, 09:19 PM
I prefer on the bone and with the skin. My daughter has always eaten chicken with or without the bone. Her and I both prefer dark meat my husband prefers boneless chicken breast.
My son will eat boneless chicken breast, if it is on the bone he picks through it and won't eat the meat against the bone. My kids are now 25 and 28 and still eat it that way.

BeanieLuvR
11-15-2007, 09:25 PM
My kids eat it either way. If I make it at home I make boneless skinless chicken breast. If I buy it out it is on the bone. My son loves rotisserie chicken. He eats the legs first then moves on to the breast.

suprtruckr
11-15-2007, 09:32 PM
They would be mighty tasty with a little chicken in them! :D

:getyou :getyou :getyou

i went to food lion today, froze my azz off in the 25mph wind, hoping to get a cheap cut of meat but the cheapest meat they had was bologna or salami :rolling

aussiegirl
11-15-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't eat chicken on the bone, unless it's Kenny Kings, and that about once a year. I don't think my kids would touch chicken on the bone.

kygirl71
11-15-2007, 10:11 PM
I grew up on chicken bones. We always got the biggest kick out of my mom's side of the family. They would gnaw the meat off the bones. lol. I prefer boneless chicken though. And I buy boneless as much as possible. My oldest DD wont eat a piece of chicken with the bone in it. I have to rip it off the bone and put it on her plate. She wont touch the skin either. Youngest DD dont care. She just loves chicken. She eats the skin but for her at her age, I usually take the meat off the bone for her.

okie
11-15-2007, 10:21 PM
When I 1st saw the title , I started to post that my kid didn't have any chickens to feed!

Same here

My kids will eat just about any kind of chicken. My two year old, I still take the chicken off the bone but my six year old eats it off the bone. We used to eat alot of fried chicken but then I found out that I am diabetic so now we mostly eat baked chicken breasts that don't have the bone.

PrincessArky
11-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Can anyone go to that store? Or is it employees only like the Tyson store is? Mom quit Tysons a month ago, and I know I'm going to miss getting that stuff dirt cheap. :)

Anyone can go to the Pilgrim store as it is open to the public now :) Usually around the end of the month they have a HUGE box sale on the Friday and here are some things I have gotten
40 lbs boneless skinless breast for $10
50 lbs whole chicken seasoned and sent back because where it was sent said they were too big (since the boxes were 10lbs over lol) $5 to get them out of the way

we have been eating nothing but chicken at home for the past several weeks we finally had beef last night and boy was it good but back to chicken tonight lol I try to fix it all different ways so that we don't get bored but it is just so cheap at Pilgrim's that at the moment thats what we are gonna be having for a while at least until we can get through the holiday season and birthdays that I have coming up lol

Willow
11-16-2007, 06:28 AM
I thought this thread was about what kids feed to their chickens. LOL Most of the time we buy the boneless skinless chicken breast but sometimes we get a package of the thighs. I usually cut the meat off the bone and eat it with a fork. I don't want to hold it and eat off of it because I can't stand having greasy fingers. LOL Kevin and Brian will eat it off the bone though.

lymi
11-16-2007, 06:41 AM
My son is that way about ribs. He only wants boneless. Knawing on the bone is half the fun. I am a bone gnawer. When nobody is looking, I even gnaw on my t bone. By the way, if ya soak a chicken leg in vinegar over night, it turns to a rubber like substance. Kind of interesting. I did it when I was young. Just like a rubber bone.

myashley89
11-16-2007, 06:54 AM
My 7 yo dd loves chicken of any kind...nuggets, strips, etc...but she absolutely refuses to eat chicken off the bone...I gave her a chicken leg one time and she said "ewwwwwww gross, I'm NOT eating that!" lol So I always take it off the bone for her....mostly I buy boneless chicken anyway :)

Kyla Kym
11-16-2007, 11:41 AM
I thought this thread was about what kids feed to their chickens. LOL.

I was being silly, trying to make y'all smile is why I said it that way. :)
Also it caught your attention too huh? ;)

Kyla Kym
11-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Anyone can go to the Pilgrim store as it is open to the public now :) Usually around the end of the month they have a HUGE box sale on the Friday and here are some things I have gotten
40 lbs boneless skinless breast for $10
50 lbs whole chicken seasoned and sent back because where it was sent said they were too big (since the boxes were 10lbs over lol) $5 to get them out of the way

we have been eating nothing but chicken at home for the past several weeks we finally had beef last night and boy was it good but back to chicken tonight lol I try to fix it all different ways so that we don't get bored but it is just so cheap at Pilgrim's that at the moment thats what we are gonna be having for a while at least until we can get through the holiday season and birthdays that I have coming up lol

Oh, I want to go!!!
Where is is located at? And what are their hours?
Also do you get a sales add or something from them?
And do they sell other stuff besides chicken, like the Tyson store does? :)

ahippiechic
11-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Speaking of chicken...I'm having a grilled, boneless, skinless chicken breast sandwich for lunch right right now. :D

Kyla Kym
11-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Speaking of chicken...I'm having a grilled, boneless, skinless chicken breast sandwich for lunch right right now. :D

Yum! :) I just got through eating a lean cuisine chicken club panini.

PrincessArky
11-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Oh, I want to go!!!
Where is is located at? And what are their hours?
Also do you get a sales add or something from them?
And do they sell other stuff besides chicken, like the Tyson store does? :)

Do you know where the Pilgrim Plant is in DQ? well it is very close its gonna be 4th street and its a little building that actually in part of their parking lot. They are open on Thursday and Friday only now from 9am (I think might be 8am) until 5pm They always have the great sales on Friday. Brother just phoned got big boxes of wings and thighs today and I think some whole chickens too. They have other things like french fries, tots, bacon, cheese, eggs and I am not sure what else. I did have a list but of course you know I have lost it since then lol

Kyla Kym
11-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Do you know where the Pilgrim Plant is in DQ? well it is very close its gonna be 4th street and its a little building that actually in part of their parking lot. They are open on Thursday and Friday only now from 9am (I think might be 8am) until 5pm They always have the great sales on Friday. Brother just phoned got big boxes of wings and thighs today and I think some whole chickens too. They have other things like french fries, tots, bacon, cheese, eggs and I am not sure what else. I did have a list but of course you know I have lost it since then lol

Thanks! I will get mom to take me. She shops over there at DeQueen all the time. She will probably know where the plant is. :)