PDA

View Full Version : new usps policy

Freebeemom
11-10-2007, 07:50 AM
I was told by my mail carrier that no package that weighs over 13 oz can be taken by the carrier. What about scheduled pick up? What a pain this is going to be ! Sorry, but this makes me want to ship ups from now on! :getyou

turbob
11-10-2007, 07:58 AM
I THINK your carrier is lying! I know you cannot put anything over 1 pound in a mail box since 9/11, but never heard of restrictions on pick up! BTW- I do the shipping at work and FedEx is a LOT cheaper and a LOT faster. If I drop a package at Kinkos/FedEx by 5 pm, shipped ground, 9 times out of 10 it will be delivered the next day. And FedEx charges $4.92 for what UPS charges $6.95.

Freebeemom
11-10-2007, 08:04 AM
from the usps website:

Your letter-carrier can pickup packages and return merchandise using the following services:

Domestic:

Express Mail service
Priority Mail service
Parcel Post and other packages may be picked up also when combined with Express Mail, Priority Mail or International Mail requests for pickup.
International packages (provided they meet applicable International mailing requirements):

Global Express Guaranteed
Express Mail International
Priority Mail International

Notes:

Mailpieces weighing more than 13 oz. bearing postage stamps for postage must be brought to an employee at a retail counter in a Post Office.

ahippiechic
11-10-2007, 08:35 AM
That does suck, but Fed Ex is cheaper and faster (most times) anyway.

Willow
11-10-2007, 08:36 AM
I don't know if this is a new policy or not. When I used to participate at paper back swap this was always one of the complaints that people had. I have a post office box and live right around the corner from where it's located so it's not a problem for me to go but it inconvenienced a lot of people that were mailing out books.

SLance68
11-10-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't know if this is a new policy or not. When I used to participate at paper back swap this was always one of the complaints that people had. I have a post office box and live right around the corner from where it's located so it's not a problem for me to go but it inconvenienced a lot of people that were mailing out books.

It is not a new policy Patch it has been around for a long time. We are lucky at work that our carrier will pick up anything without question. Otherwise we just drive to the end of the street and put it in the big blue mail box.

And I have never used FedEx and had it be cheaper than UPS. I use UPS all the time and the ground rates for FedEx are a lot more.

Prunella
11-10-2007, 09:46 AM
You can still drop mail under 1 pound into a blue box or give it to your carrier as long as it does not have stamps on it. Prepaid postage labels are fine. I do it all time. If your carrier says anything, show them this:

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2007/pr07_058.htm

azwup05
11-10-2007, 03:46 PM
This came out a couple of months ago, but it has been very confusing for many carriers and apparently management too. We are supposed to get actual training and written instruction on this and I know I haven't. Had to look it up online. The key thing to remember, is that anything over 13oz. and bearing stamps has to be presented at the counter. If you put it in the "blue box" it can be returned, delayed, inspected, etc.

tsquared
11-11-2007, 07:39 AM
can a person get fed ex rates somewhere on the net?

SLance68
11-11-2007, 08:07 AM
can a person get fed ex rates somewhere on the net?

Probably at Fedex.com