PDA

View Full Version : Winter Jackets and 13yo boys!!!

kidzpca
11-08-2007, 09:52 PM
After taking the kids to get the flu vaccine I took them to the mall to look for a new winter jacket for my 13yo son...the only one whom needed a new jacket.

Checked Burlington Coat Factory, JC Penney, Sears and PAC SUN.

only place Drew wanted a coat from was PAC SUN. But their coats were all fleece type and not very winter friendly. And $70 to $150 bucks.

I nixed the fleece coats and you'd think the world was coming to an end.:slap

If I was going to pay $70 to $150 for a winter jacket I would go get a Columbia brand that is well known for good Winter Jackets. And planned on getting a Columbia Tomorrow at JC Penney when they go on sale at 30-50% off. But no it's not good enough. "JC Penney jackets are for W.....s and N.....s" his words not mine. And he has to have PAC SUN fleece DC's :getyou

I told him I want him to have a good winter jacket that will definately keep him warm and dry and the fleece jackets are only like sweatshirts. That also I will buy him a good jacket but if he wants the fleece jackets at PAC SUN it was coming out of his saving account. NO if's and's or but's.

He was ticked.:mad:

So I took him to GOODWILL and....:yikes and he was soooo :embarassed:

Got him a Columbia Winter Jacket for $10 and surprizingly he was...:bouncer

freeplease
11-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Try ANYTHING and teenage girls! lol

I'm battling with mine about bangs. She insists she HAS to have them. I keep telling her she has enough trouble with her hair the way it is. I so do not need her throwing her hairbrush across her room every morining trying to deal with more hair drama.

Do they have a goodwill for hair? lol

MsLynn
11-09-2007, 07:11 AM
my 12 year old just left his in tulsa on their last field trip. grrrrrrrr, lmao now i've got to find him another one, figures the coldest day we've had so far they have their field trip and he leaves it, lmao.

my 7 year old is better with stuff than he is .. lol

magenta
11-09-2007, 07:11 AM
I feel your pain. My DS is 14 & DD is 12.
Shopping with them is hell.

tigger4
11-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I feel your pain.

My middle school kids don't want to wear their winter coats no matter how cold it is. Because they have to carry them around all day because they have no lockers. So, on top of their huge backpacks they have this bulky coat. I really can't blame them for not wanting to, but I can't have them sick either.

All of this after the battle to buy the coats is enough to kill a person.

BlueBerriTerri
11-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Due to my curious nature, I have to ask. Is w....s and n....s what I think it is? The fact that you didn't spell it out and followed with "his words, not mine" leads me to believe it's something that you feel might be offensive, so intuitively I am guessing it is. I don't know WHAT my sons say out of my presence, but they know I have ZERO tolerance for racial slurs against anyone, so I haven't had the displeasure of hearing it in my own home. And I'm not flaming you. On the contrary--I am a fervid supporter of free speech and the concept of "live and let live".

kidzpca
11-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Due to my curious nature, I have to ask. Is w....s and n....s what I think it is? The fact that you didn't spell it out and followed with "his words, not mine" leads me to believe it's something that you feel might be offensive, so intuitively I am guessing it is. I don't know WHAT my sons say out of my presence, but they know I have ZERO tolerance for racial slurs against anyone, so I haven't had the displeasure of hearing it in my own home. And I'm not flaming you. On the contrary--I am a fervid supporter of free speech and the concept of "live and let live".

Yes it does refer to the racial slurs that I do not allow....

We at home have a Zero tolerance on the racial slurs and ds has been suspended from school for 2 days once this year for such an act...:rules

Anyhow, I figure if he "really" wants the fleece jackets from PAC SUN he can pay for them himself from his bank savings account.

BlueBerriTerri
11-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Kidzpca

I am extremely lucky in the fact that for my kids (9, 13, 17) don't ever ask for anything name brand that doesn't have the Nintendo or Xbox label, lol. I love shopping for their clothes so I get them what I want. I am just as likely to buy their clothes from Walmart, Target, and Kmart as I am from Gymboree, Hanna Andersson, or the Gap and they don't care! My 13 year old even told me that I need to stop buying him clothes because he was tired of having to put them away so much! My problem with him is that we clash constantly over nearly EVERYTHING else. I shopped at Goodwill a few times when I lived in Louisiana, but I don't know where it is here in NYC. I'll bet they have some great things here too. I'm going to have to find out where it is and have a look see. That deal sounds like my kind of shopping!

kidzpca
11-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Do they have a goodwill for hair? lol

In our town it's called Chic Cosmetology...a local hair school...LOL

Eyore
11-09-2007, 11:20 AM
I shopped at Goodwill a few times when I lived in Louisiana, but I don't know where it is here in NYC. I'll bet they have some great things here too. I'm going to have to find out where it is and have a look see.

http://locator.goodwill.org/

Here is the Goodwill locater to find one near you.

BlueBerriTerri
11-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Eyore! I used it, and there is one on W. 79th St! I live on Amsterdam and W.79th! I have NEVER seen this place before, and it is only a third of a mile from where I live.

cabby92
11-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Ours is easy to find. It's one of the flagship stores at our local mall. We are high class here - Goodwill, KMart and Big Lots. Oh yeah, I forgot Dollar General.

Any wonder why I shop out of area?

Eyore
11-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks, Eyore! I used it, and there is one on W. 79th St! I live on Amsterdam and W.79th! I have NEVER seen this place before, and it is only a third of a mile from where I live.

Your welcome

justme23
11-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Ok, I know how this is going to come out, not being able to see my face or hear the giggle in my voice... but you so sound like my father right now. He took me shoe shopping one day and said he was going to buy me a "nice pair" that would last until I outgrew them. He wanted to buy me a pair of those nurses shoes that they all used to wear back in the 80s. I kid you not. He wanted a 13 yo kid to go to school in those shoes. I don't care how good they are, some things are just uncool to a teenager.

I say tell him to come up w/ a few more options of his own (something that he knows is acceptable to you) and see if you like any of those. To him, it may be "a pair of those shoes"... just saying!

YankeeMary
11-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Ok, I know how this is going to come out, not being able to see my face or hear the giggle in my voice... but you so sound like my father right now. He took me shoe shopping one day and said he was going to buy me a "nice pair" that would last until I outgrew them. He wanted to buy me a pair of those nurses shoes that they all used to wear back in the 80s. I kid you not. He wanted a 13 yo kid to go to school in those shoes. I don't care how good they are, some things are just uncool to a teenager.

I say tell him to come up w/ a few more options of his own (something that he knows is acceptable to you) and see if you like any of those. To him, it may be "a pair of those shoes"... just saying!

Thats so funny...but it isn't. From a teens point of view it had to be horrible...lol. :rofl:

tracey74
11-09-2007, 09:47 PM
hey when I was a kid a lot of my clothes did come from goodwill lol once a year we got new clothes. also if there are any salvation army stores near any of you "vintage" shoppers lol try there sometimes they have deals where you fill a garbage bag for so much.my kids are the same ages as magentas and my son isnt too picky hes 14 but my daughter she is picky as all heck. I think she was born in the wrong era cause she likes stuff from the 60s like head scarves,headbands, those gauzy type shirts etc. my daughter though is chunky and its hard to find clothes for her but most of their clothes come from walmart since they know we cant afford the name brands.my son knows if he wants DC shoes or etnies or other brands like that he has to work and save the money and buy them himself by that time he wants something else with his money and forgets about the name brands. also if theres a steve and barrys nearby they have really cheap shoes and clothing. they even have an amanda bynes clothing line and are coming out with a venus williams line and a few NBA stars are coming out with their own line of shoes for under $20 heres a link to find their stores http://www.steveandbarrys.com/Stores/state/none/1.aspx

kelblend
11-12-2007, 09:32 PM
For some reason, last year and this year it is so lame to wear a coat at all here in Ohio. Oh it doesn't get cold in Ohio people :hmpf: :rolleyes: Something about all the actual "winter" coats make them look fat. I told them no coat just makes them look cold. This goes for both boys and girls apparently. So, now in the process of finding a happy medium....if I don't go a bit crazy first.

Tasha405
11-12-2007, 09:57 PM
For some reason, last year and this year it is so lame to wear a coat at all here in Ohio. Oh it doesn't get cold in Ohio people :hmpf: :rolleyes: Something about all the actual "winter" coats make them look fat. I told them no coat just makes them look cold. This goes for both boys and girls apparently. So, now in the process of finding a happy medium....if I don't go a bit crazy first.

My oldest son doesn't like to wear his either. Most of the kids around here never wear them and some even run around in shorts all winter long! Its crazy! I stay on to my son and make him put his on. He said he didn't like wearing it.. I said.. I don't like you gett sick and costing me extra money for meds and doctor visits either. lol Crazy kids!

cabby92
11-13-2007, 06:16 AM
I can't blame the kids, I hate coats and seldom wear them. Normally I'm only going from home to car or at most a few blocks and it's just easier to hurry and shiver a little. And it does get cold in PA.

earnhardt1
11-13-2007, 06:21 AM
yes pa gets cold and i have a couple warm ones but usually wear just a hoodie

lassss
11-13-2007, 06:22 AM
I find it much easier to give DS money and let him buy what he wants. It doesn't matter what I choose for him, he won't like it. Now he is 16 and driving so he goes to the mall and buys his own clothes. He usually doesn't spend alot on any one thing.

Half the time he likes to wear just hoodies instead of a coat, like all the kids lol

magenta
11-13-2007, 06:41 AM
I know I don't like to wear a coat either. I think with my kids, there isn't enough locker room for them. And Yeah it does get cold in PA. My DS settled last year for a carhart.

earnhardt1
11-13-2007, 08:53 AM
I know I don't like to wear a coat either. I think with my kids, there isn't enough locker room for them. And Yeah it does get cold in PA. My DS settled last year for a carhart.

thats what the lil man has

kelblend
11-13-2007, 12:04 PM
I can't blame the kids, I hate coats and seldom wear them. Normally I'm only going from home to car or at most a few blocks and it's just easier to hurry and shiver a little. And it does get cold in PA.

My son gives me that same argument. lmao It's only a few seconds to get into the school and so on.....

BeanieLuvR
11-13-2007, 12:31 PM
We are from Ohio too and my son is the same way and uses the same arguments. LOL He finally settled on a heavier Ohio State jacket from steveandbarrys. I had bought him a perfectly nice winter coat at Penneys but it makes him too hot.