PDA

View Full Version : fundraiser thieves...can stuff it!

kidzpca
11-01-2007, 06:08 PM
My dot Tiffany is in Marching/concert band in high school and this year the band has been invited to play at Carnegie Hall in New York City in March 2008.

In order to go each band member must come up with $1,000 for plane tickets, hotel for 3 nights, broadway show and food. In order to help the group is doing a number of fundraisers.

Right now the kids are selling candy bars. Each box of 52 candybars (M&Ms plain, peanut, Snickers and Skittles cost the kid $22 but gets the kid $30 profit to put in their trip bank.

This week selling of candy was low at school so I agreed to take a box to work with me.

ON Tuesday I sold 21 bars for $21 (I took the $ home) and left the box in the breakroom overnight for the nightshift to have a crack at buying.

On Wednesday morning after morning report I checked the box at 7:30am and not a bar was sold leaving the 31 bars I had from the night before. At 9:30 I went to get a cup of Joe and checked the box. 12 candy bars were missing and no money. 10 were skittles as each box only has 11 and 1 was in the box leaving 2 others stolen too.

Ok, I know I took my chances but in the 12 years I have worked there all fundraisers were in good standing and work on the honor system. Perhaps missing a 1 or 2 dollars from a box of 52 bars could be expected sometimes from error but $12.

So I had to replace the $12 from our savings so dot can turn in the $ in exchange for the next box.

Other co-workers indicated that they saw the cleaning crew break in our breakroom (they have their own) and recognized one member whom doesn't normally clean our floor and whom has caused similar problems before. But no one saw them do anything for sure. So it is just speculation but to be so low as to steal from a kid fundraiser. And have no scrupples over 10 skittles bars and 2 others is low.

What do you think?

ahippiechic
11-01-2007, 06:12 PM
That shit happens. I'm a cynic, I wouldn't have left them.

Jackie_Blu
11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
That shit happens. I'm a cynic, I wouldn't have left them.

ITA I trust no one. I've had enough experience with low lifes.

okie
11-01-2007, 06:39 PM
That's messed up! At my hubby's job they leave fundraiser stuff out all the time for people to buy.

Pepsi4me
11-01-2007, 06:44 PM
I agree that I wouldn't trust ppl to be honest. It's a low thing to do & some ppl just don't care.

Was there a sign by the box/on the box that said it was for a fundraiser?

kidzpca
11-01-2007, 06:48 PM

Yes, it was a one hand written letter explaining the fundraiser and that each bar was $1 going toward her cost of the trip.

iluvmybaby
11-01-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree that I wouldn't trust ppl to be honest. It's a low thing to do & some ppl just don't care.

That is what I was wondering, unless their was a sign, they prob thought it was free

dv8grl
11-01-2007, 08:19 PM
I would put a sign up that says thanks for stealing from children

gmyers
11-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Its sad but it doesn't surprise me. Some people will steal anything. They had a box of candy where my husband used to work on the honor system until someone would take the candy and not pay. They ruined it for the rest of the workers.

BlueBerriTerri
11-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Sad but true.....it would be nice if everyone played by the rules but people suck. I'll paypal you a dollar donation for your daughter's trip---call it a small step to restore your faith in humanity. We're not all bad, lol. Just PM me with your email.

Kyla Kym
11-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't trust anyone younger than 35 anymore when it comes to stealing, after hearing one of our nephews and his wife talking one day. He is considered one of the good people too. Never got into trouble, good kid that went to church, popular with adults and his piers. He & his wife are clean cut people, nice home, nice cars, etc...

Him and his wife who were in their 20's at the time, were at our house one day visiting, and they started telling us about how easy it was to steal stuff at one of the local stores. They started telling how this one and that one stole stuff. You would have thought they were talking about a Sunday drive in the park. Like it was just something all people did and it wasn't important.

Then they went on to tell us about friends stealing from other friends! :stunned

My husband and I was so shocked!
We were shocked at the fact that they didn't seem to think it was no big deal.
shocked at the fact that all their friends did it.
Shocked at them in general, because they are "good people" and we would think they would have the same morals we do.
And these are people that have been raised up in a tiny God fearing southern town in Ar. right in the big middle of the Bible belt! So if the young adults around here that have been brought up with the fear of God in them don't have any morals about it, then I'm sure the ones in the bigger cites are worse.

Just telling you this so you know that you can't just expect everyone to have the same morals you do. I will come more near trusting anyone around my age and older because I know they were raised like I was. And they have good morals about it.

I think to many people now have nothing to fear, except getting caught. A lack of morals, means no guilty conscience (sp?).

Do you have any local mom & pop stores that would let you set one of the boxes on the counter by the register with a sign on it that said to help raise funds for a band member's trip. ? I know around here most of the store owners wouldn't mind if a kid did that. :)

aneisu
11-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I volunteer with an animal rescue group. We do adoptions every Saturday at the local PetSmart. It is a small group and we are all friends, we used to leave the adoption papers w/money in a drawer at the table. Never had a problem until a few months ago. Our adoptions were coming up $20 short (usually $40 to $60 a week) when they were paid for in cash. It took us a few weeks to realize it was someone in the group and not just incorrect counting when the money was collected. Now we try to keep the money locked up or at least with one person. We know who did it, but with no proof we can't do anything.

Shann
11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
how sad, I like dv8's idea, put up a letter that says what she wrote and then put a jar next to it, saying something about paying for their candy. I do agree w/ the others though, I just don't trust anyone well enough to do that. It's really sad that people can do that and not have it weight heavily on their conscience.

VenuStar
11-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I know how it is with the marching band fundraisers...my son is in the marching band...I'll donate also by paypal if you'll pm your email addy.

HUGS