PDA

View Full Version : More that just a "little" ticked at high school

lucimPI
10-28-2007, 03:36 PM
With all I have been reading about the "superbug" staph going around. Well, in my local newspaper yesterday, it was confirmed that our local high school has 2 cases. Now all week long the school was denying and saying it was just bad rumors that someone started. The high school was informed on the 22nd that 2 kids had it, they were again informed on the 25th and on the 26th one of the kids mother called the newspaper stating that the school has been fibbing about it being a rumor. So lo and behold on the 27th the school finally admitted. What makes me so angry is that last week the school had open house for the 8th graders and their parents. (I think that is why they did not want it known) Today I find out that another high school about 29 miles from me has 2 kids down with it. This is becoming very scary. I commend the school in Kentucky, one child got it and the all the schools were closed, putting 10300 kids out of school but safe.

lucimPI
10-28-2007, 04:00 PM
More info about the one boy. "The mother of the sickened student-athlete said the staph infection intitially manifested itself Sat. Oct.20th as a pimple, he picked at it believing it to be simple acne. "By Sunday evening, I was at work and his aunt call to say he was having trouble breathing and was running a temperature. Took him to ER. The doctors placed him on heavier than normal doses of antibiotics and said to see his doctor ASAP. Monday the boys doctor drained the affected area after sedating the boy to abate the accompanying pain. He subsequently was treated multiple times during the week, with doctors repeatedly monitoring and draining the affected area. The mother did affirm that her son would recover.

April78945
10-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah, it's MRSA. I had that a few months ago. I got it from my friend who also gave it to her sister, sisters boyfriend, her BIL and her BIL kid.
Nasty stuff, but if it's the communicaple (spelling?) kind you just have to take antibiotics (Bactrum).

But..yeah I'd be pissed at my kids school for lying!

evrita
10-28-2007, 05:57 PM
You know it is sad but do you know how much MRSA is out there that we dont know about? It is usally passed thru body fluids. It is more common then people know.

kidzpca
10-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Simple solution.

Wash your hands...for at least 15 seconds with a good lather of soap each and every time. No exeptions....

Good cleaning will help keep the bugs away...

LunaChick
10-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Simple solution.

Wash your hands...for at least 15 seconds with a good lather of soap each and every time. No exeptions....

Good cleaning will help keep the bugs away...

Yep, it's the best prevention out there.

PrincessArky
10-30-2007, 03:03 AM
wow our little school shut the door last year I think it was or the year before because we had too many kids getting the flu so they took a few days off and alot of kids were able to avoid being sick.

hblueeyes
10-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Our high school had 1 confirmed case. They immediately called all parents and closed the school and cleaned it. It was a friday that i got the call but all the sports and other groups used another meeting place, I think the VFW for their activities. Very proactive and responsible. Maybe because most the administrators live in the area and have kids too.

Me

ahippiechic
10-30-2007, 08:06 AM
My DD's school sent a flyer home about it, explaining what it was, how to recognize it and the importance of handwashing, not sharing towels, etc. They haven't had a case of it, but they disinfected the whole school last Sat and said they would do this regularly, so hopefully to cut down on the chances of anyone getting it.

ilovecats
10-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Our high school had 1 confirmed case. They immediately called all parents and closed the school and cleaned it. It was a friday that i got the call but all the sports and other groups used another meeting place, I think the VFW for their activities. Very proactive and responsible. Maybe because most the administrators live in the area and have kids too.

Me

This here too.Except when we got the phone call(on A Friday)The kids stayed all that day then they cleaned the school over the weekend.

vicky122
10-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Here they went to some kind of cleaning products that kills most anything they said. Plus the put up despencers all over the schhol so the kids when walking down the hallways can put some on thier hands.
They also have them in classrooms and the bathrooms. Plus in the kitchen.
I am not sure what kind of cleaning the did but I know the school wasn't closed.

belle5691
10-31-2007, 09:43 AM
I had HAI MRSA (Health care associated infection) 4 years ago, still have occasional problems with it. I decided when I had it, not a lot of information was out about it, so I became active in finding information--anyway, as a result, was asked to come to New York on the 23rd and 24th of this month (last week) and help with filming of some public service announcements, etc. The website for this (not totally completed yet) sponsered by Association for Professionals in Infection Control from Washington DC is www.skinisthesource.org. It is a great website already, but more to come too. But--people here are right, the best treatment is prevention. Im amazed more all the time at the people who do not wash hands, or don't wash them long enough. Good luck to everyone in staying safe from MRSA.

kidzpca
11-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Talk of the Town -- MRSA
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials say that the recent outbreaks of antibiotic resistant staph infections do not represent a public health emergency. The best way to control methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is by washing your hands. Officials also stressed that MRSA infections are very common, and most are treatable using other antibiotics.

Evidence-Based Research
After being initially reported among injecting drug users in Detroit in 1981 and then associated with the deaths of four children in Minnesota and North Dakota in 1997, community-associated MRSA has become the most frequent cause of skin and soft tissue infections presenting to emergency departments in the United States. Based on 8987 observed cases of MRSA and 1598 in-hospital deaths among patients with MRSA, a recent study estimates that 94,360 invasive MRSA infections occurred in the United States in 2005; these infections were associated with death in 18,650 cases. Incidence rates were highest among persons 65 years and older, blacks and males.