PDA

View Full Version : "Bella" movie---you can support it.

janelle
10-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi, This is Eduardo (from Bella) and I want to ask you for your help with our release this week (Oct 26th). Could you ask everyone you know if they could buy 100-1000 tickets for their friends, family, church, community on opening weekend to ensure Bella reaches and impacts as many people as possible?

Hundreds of people have been adopting theaters (buying all the tickets for one screening time) and giving them out to friends, groups or after church. Your help can guarantee the success of opening weekend which will lead to a broader international release and hopefully more lives will be touched and transformed by Bella.

We really need your help – we really appreciate anything you can do. Also, my friend sent the emails below to his entire data base and it worked great – can you please send these emails below (or one you want to create) to everyone in your data base?

If you can email me your email list, we will be able to send out our special movie mails also. Thank you so much for your support and prayers.

Eduardo.p.s. We won the Heartland Film Festival yesterday and my interview with Ryan Seacrest went great.

Hear it online at www.BellaNews.com--------------------------------------------------------------------------Film "Bella" in theatres this week - October 26 The story behind the making of the new movie, "Bella" is unbelievable!!!

...I know many of them and they deserve our support for making a movie that is transforming peoples lives. A group of first time filmmakers took a huge leap of faith to tell this beautiful story and miraculously won People's Choice Award in Toronto, which is often an indicator of future Academy Award nominations, with past recipients including best picture winners & nominees "Chariots of Fire", "American Beauty", “Life is Beautiful”, “Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon”, “Hotel Rwanda” among others.

After seeing the film the Producer of Braveheart and The Passion of the Christ signed on as the Executive Producer to help market the film and it is coming out nationwide Oct 26th.

Here is an article describing their release: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ia4622155e545932c2687de1fcbf5553b There are other articles & videos at: www.BellaNews.com

By forwarding this email to your entire list, we show our support for quality films that celebrate the best of the human spirit and inspire people to live for others and to build a better world. At the same time we will encourage filmmakers to create more beautiful films like it. We need to support our friends who are working hard for us in Hollywood because if we don’t the market will continue to be flooded with films that don’t have the beauty that “Bella” has.

If the film has a big opening weekend it will go into even more theatres next week and touch more lives… so please try to turn out this week on opening weekend, Oct 26th. I think the below email from my friend says it all. Please pass this email on to everyone you know! -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Clauk1212@aol.com [mailto:Clauk1212@aol.com] Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:15 AMTo: undisclosed-recipients:

Subject: BELLA/ A wonderful little gem of a film for you to see ! xoxo, Claudia

I want to take a moment to plug this wonder-filled little film that has changed peoples lives. Now a days we are bombarded with big budget films with such negative messages and stereotypes, so dark and violent that when a film comes along that brings you light, faith, hope, redemption and that promotes the best of the human spirit., I am compelled to plug this and encourage all of you to see it and to help spread the word.

This is a film that has no drugs and violence - what it does have is a lot of heart and you will leave the theater a better, more loving person. Bella is a labor of love. Alejandro Monteverde is a first time director and Eduardo Verastegui truly shines in this very beautiful and visually delightful film.

This film has such sweet intentions, the soundtrack is wonderful with artists such as Alejandro Sanz, Jon Secada, Switchfoot..who all fell in love with the film and wanted to lend their songs to this project.

I know that together we can make a difference when we support films such as this one. I thank you in advance! God Bless! xoxo, Claudia By the way, Bella will be released on October 26th and here are some links for you to take a look at and tell friends about:----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To adopt a theatre you can visit: www.HelpBella.com -To view videos you can visit: www.BellaVideos.com -To view and forward Bella emails with trailers and testimonials visit: www.BellaEmails.com -To download promotional resources visit: www.BellaResources.com -To view news visit: www.BellaNews.com -To view our photo album check out www.BellaMoviePictures.com -To buy tickets you can visit our website: www.BellaTheMovie.com – the new trailer is there also----------------------------------------------------------------------------

janelle
10-25-2007, 03:43 PM
REVIEWS & QUOTES CNN - Ana Maria Montero “Powerful and moving... a true inspiration.” ABC NEWSA romantic drama….Mexican director Alejandro Gomez Monteverde's Bella tells the story of two people whose lives converge and turn upside down on a single day in New York. It has won the People's Choice Award, which is often an indicator of future Academy Award nominations.

RUETERS:TORONTO (Reuters) - "Bella," a romantic drama by Mexican director Alejandro Monteverde, was the surprise winner of the top award at the Toronto Film Festival on Saturday….. The prize is often an indicator of future Academy Award nominations, with past recipients including best picture winners "American Beauty" and "Chariots of Fire."Last year's winner, "Tsotsi," won an Oscar for best foreign-language film. "I really hope that this is not a dream and that I don't wake up at film school," a visibly surprised Monteverde said at an awards ceremony. "This festival is my first festival, it's my first film.

It’s my first everything." NEW YORK TIMES WEBSITE:A man whose life is about to be changed forever discovers that sometimes it takes losing it all to finally appreciate the things that truly matter in director Alejandro Monteverde's emotional tale of self discovery. ~ Jason Buchanan, All Movie Guide Click link below to view actual articleYou can get NY Times article by going to this link: http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=348546

FOX NEWSI am very pleased that the Toronto Film Festival chose "Bella" to win their top audience award over the weekend…. It's incredibly charming, with terrific performances by Tammy Blanchard and Mexican star Eduardo Verástegui and Manny Perez. It's directed by Alejandro Gomez Monteverde. It's too easy to say this is the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" of this season, because "Bella" is far more complex and sophisticated while losing none of the humor.

Whoever decides to release "Bella" will have a nice little hit on their hands. The freshness and lack of affectation in "Bella" must have appealed to audiences who had to endure a number of big-name films that seemed contrived, stale or calculated. You can get read the article by going to this link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214255,00.html HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: “Bella” WinsTORONTO -- A trio of Mexicans triumphed at the Toronto International Film Festival on Saturday when their U.S. independent drama "Bella" captured the People's Choice Award, voted on by festival audiences…. "These Mexican guys go to America and beat the American independents at their game -- it's impressive," Toronto festival co-director Noah Cowan said after an awards luncheon. You can get Hollywood Reporter logo and authors name for the article by going to this link:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003123305 HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: The Story Behind “Bella”Winning in Toronto can be the first step on the road to Oscar and Golden Globes success. "Bella" could wind up following in the footsteps of such past Toronto winners as: "American Beauty," which won five Oscars in 2000, including best picture and director, and three Globes, including best picture and director; "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," which won four Oscars in 2001, including best foreign language film, was a best picture Oscar nominee and won two Globes, including best director for Ang Lee. Read the article at this link:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003221195 VARIETY "This movie depicts the culture but also transcends it," said Pilar O'Leary, exec director of the Smithsonian Institute's Latino Center. "It has universal appeal."Which is why the Latino Center is presenting Verastegui and helmer Alejandro Monteverde with its award for emerging talent. Pic doesn't see release until August, but because of the increasing buzz, the Mexican Embassy wanted to sponsor a private screening as part of its Cinco de Mayo bash. -William Triplett, Variety.com To read entire article visit this link: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964437.html?categoryid=38&cs=1&query=bella AFI (American Film Institute) Movie Review - Dallas Life is really, really hard; thank god it's so beautiful - it's one of those rare films that catches you by the emotional short hairs and refuses to let go.

By the time the final reel plays, you're going to be weeping tears of commingled sadness and joy - unless you happen to have blocked tear ducts. (And, if you do, you might consider a viewing of this movie as a possible cure.) Bella is really not so much a love story (in the sense of two people falling head over heels) as it is a story about love and how it can heal psychic wounds and enrich our lives. -John P. Meyer, AFI Dallas.

To read article visit this link: http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/mar/28/afi-dallas-movie-review-ibellai/ InCONTENTION.com"Bella" marks the debut feature of Alejandro Gomez Monteverde, a truly humble man in awe of the fact that he's actually made it here. It's better to know as little as possible about this film before going into it but let me tell you that it feels both sincere and loving. It's great to see a film that legitimately moves the viewer without being drowned in sap. And it does this in just 90 minutes. If it comes your way, see it. You won't regret it. You can read the article by going to this link: http://www.incontention.com/toronto/2006/09/beautiful_indeed.html CNN - Ana Maria Montero“Powerful and moving... a true inspiration.” NBC, MIAMI"Bella is a romantic drama full of heart, soul and beautiful messages. It's a film that will stay with you forever! Powerful, passionate and unpredictable, Bella is a rare gem, a true surprise.

A movie that can transform your life and keep you thinking. Bella is a cinematic jewel. One of the best films I've seen in a long time".Watch out for its extraordinary cast, especially Mexican leading man Eduardo Verastegui, truly the “Brad Pitt of Latin America”. -- Maria Salas, NBC-Miami The last film with Bella’s momentum was the Passion of the Christ.” –Steve McEveety Executive Producer of Braveheart and a producer of The Passion of Christ

Jolie Rouge
10-29-2007, 05:53 AM
"Bella" and the Pro-Life Film Trend
Fri Oct 26, 3:00 AM ET

In a political act loaded with cultural symbolism, Sen. Hillary Clinton endorsed an effort to earmark a million taxpayer dollars for a museum in Bethel, N.Y., celebrating the circus of 1969, the Woodstock music festival. Other senators smelled the pork and successfully voted to remove it. The tie-dyed, drug-soaked postwar babies that populated that muddy plain are now approaching Social Security age, and the aging hippies that made their way into the establishment want to imbue the notorious excesses of their youth with respectability. The New York Times said the Bethel complex would be "what Cooperstown is to baseball" — a hippie Hall of Fame.

I liked that music. I still do. Then, as now, I simply ignored the cultural and political messages. Many others didn't.

The bohemian worldview of Woodstock Nation is in some ways dominant, and in some ways passe in our popular culture. Hallucinogenic drugs are no longer the rage, but the "free love" spirit of "if it feels good, do it" still runs strong, especially in our entertainment world. And yet, burbling beneath a noisy culture of sexual excess and self-love, there's a quiet undercurrent in our movies carrying subtle, and even obvious, pro-life themes.

Last Christmas, there was "Children of Men," a dark science-fiction look into England, 20 years from now, where human fertility has vanished. One pregnant woman becomes a damsel in grave danger, and then with the birth of her child, a beacon of hope.

Six months later, the small movie "Waitress" followed a lonely waitress with a good-for-nothing husband who decides (against Tinseltown's grain) to keep her baby. Summer brought the big, crude sex comedy "Knocked Up," a tale of a beautiful blonde who improbably mates with an overweight schlub, a man the world would say is "not in her league." But underneath the crudity, another pro-life story emerges: not only does she keep the baby, she tries to build a marriage and family.

Those two movies were close enough together to represent a tiny trend — and film critics denounced it as an affront to their "pro-choice" beliefs. The women chose life, and that was wrong. To them, it smelled of fear and corner-cutting. They noted the word "abortion" wasn't used in the scripts. (But couldn't pro-lifers make the same complaint?)

It showed "the studios' terror at giving offense," whined the Boston Globe. "Hollywood is No-Choice," was the disgusted headline in The New York Times. "Both movies go out of their way to sidestep real life," since "two-thirds of unwanted pregnancies end in abortion." But what about the one-third of "unwanted" pregnancies in real life that result in real life? They cannot be celebrated?

Apparently not. "I think it's shocking that the subject of abortion as a choice has been so eliminated from the discussion," said one alarmed feminist to The Washington Post. This is quite absurd, since modern movies like "The Cider House Rules" and "Vera Drake" celebrated wise and sympathetic abortionists.

Now comes the little movie “Bella,” which won the People's Choice award at the 2006 Toronto Film Festival. Once again, a single waitress finds herself pregnant and feels that abortion is her only way out, until she spends a day with a man who's just lost his soccer-star career. In that one day together, their lives are changed forever, and she decides to carry her baby to term. Oh, boy. Here we go again. The word "abortion" is never mentioned in the movie.

Worse yet for the Hollywood elite, the executive producer of "Bella" is Steve McEveety, who was also executive producer of "The Passion of the Christ." He says as "The Passion" showed us how to die, "Bella" shows us how to live.

Movie critics will probably hate it, since it doesn't even have oodles of sex and profanity in it to keep them entertained. Variety already booed: "Manipulative pic trades in fairytale views of New York life alongside briefly sustained emotional confessions."

The makers of "Bella" are different than the average Hollywood moviemakers. They have refused projects they didn't feel were uplifting. Their religious convictions had led to a desire to make redeeming films. Their company is named Metanoia Films, after the Greek word for "conversion" or "repentance." Those are not Hollywood words. But they are words that can resonate all over the Main Streets of America.

So what does Main Street think of "Bella"? Preview audiences repeatedly have given it standing ovations.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/uc/20071026/cm_uc_crbbox/op_234206;_ylt=AngCxWdromh7OUrXKMS5ROP8B2YD

janelle
10-29-2007, 08:49 PM
LOL, I think they should see it first. It says they never said the word abortion but it sure shows her going to the clinic and going into the operation room to get an abortion. It makes you think for awhile she got one until the last when they show her child who has been adopted by the single man who lives with his parents.

Maybe the pro aborts would have liked to see a movie that shows an abortion. Oh wait, that would turn people off and be against such abuse to a baby. That would turn people off of abortion. Can't have that.

Jolie Rouge
10-30-2007, 01:53 PM
"Bella" is coming
By Robert D. Novak
Townhall.com

WASHINGTON - An invited audience including Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez gathered at the National Geographic Society's auditorium in Washington Monday night for a screening of "Bella," an independently produced feature film. No mere movie, it offers hope for the beleaguered anti-abortion movement to reverse the political tide running against it.

This was the eighth such screening in Washington. Monday night's audience reflected the reaction in more than 100 showings nationwide: an emotional experience for a stunning exhibition of cinema art that unexpectedly won a Toronto Film Festival award. It is no propaganda film but a dramatic depiction of choices facing an unmarried pregnant woman.

"Bella," unknown to the general public, has generated excitement and anticipation in conservative Catholic and other anti-abortion circles. The problem is getting the
film in movie theaters around the country for its public premiere early next April. That is never easy for an independent film with no box office names, but the problems are magnified when its message runs counter to the social mores of Hollywood.

"Bella" arrives in an environment that has grown bleak for enemies of abortion. The Democratic Party has become so much the party of abortion rights that of 41 freshmen Democrats elected to the House, only three are anti-abortion. Pro-life forces in the House suffered a net loss of 13 members. That means statutory restrictions on abortion, which must be renewed by each Congress, are now in serious jeopardy.

The loss of numerical strength on Capitol Hill reflects a public relations and political victory by the abortion lobby. Republican politicians tend to give only lip service to the issue, typified by President George W. Bush's silence on abortion. Republican candidates have accepted support from pro-life forces -- and then kept quiet about abortion, leaving the field open to pro-choice advocates.

Thus, the anti-abortion movement sees "Bella" as providential. It is entertainment, not propaganda. Although Monday's screening was sponsored by the National Council for Adoption, the word "adoption" is uttered only once in the film. There are no tirades against abortion. Indeed, it acknowledges a woman's pain of carrying a baby to term only to give it up for adoption. In the end, however, the film is a heart-wrenching affirmation of life over death.

"Bella" was conceived by three young Mexican men -- producer, director and lead actor -- who are conservative Catholics and want to make movies removed from Hollywood's movie culture of sex and violence. Bankrolled by a wealthy Catholic family from Philadelphia, they shot the film in 24 days in New York City.

The star is Eduardo Verastegui, a Mexican heartthrob as a lead performer in TV soap operas who now lives in Los Angeles. A devout Catholic, he told me he was tired of movies showing Latinos as disreputable and immoral. He has learned to speak English in three years well enough to play the lead role mostly in English (with subtitles over the Spanish).

It was a stretch to get "Bella" even shown at Toronto, much less win an award. "Going into the festival," said the Hollywood Reporter, "absolutely no one, including the team of filmmakers that made 'Bella,' ever imagined it would capture the People's Choice Award, voted on by festival audiences."

Even with the Toronto prize, which in the past has led to Academy and Golden Globe awards, however, it is hard to get the film in movie houses, and it may be necessary for the filmmakers to form a distribution company. The avowed reason for the difficulty is inexperience of the director and a cast with names unfamiliar to American moviegoers. But the film's producers say the same left-wing Hollywood establishment that attacked "The Passion of The Christ" is sniping at "Bella," which lacks a Mel Gibson in support.

If the Crucifixion in "The Passion" was hard to take for non-Christians and some Christians, "Bella" on one level is a drama without religious overtones. But while the audience at Monday's screening was moved to tears, reaction from a commercial theater audience -- including women who have chosen an abortion -- could be different. The pro-life movement hopes, in the absence of effort by supposedly pro-life politicians, it will point to a different way to deal with an unwanted pregnancy.