PDA

View Full Version : snacks and teenagers...left all over basement!

kidzpca
10-25-2007, 10:13 AM
One of my biggest pet peeves is having the kids leave open boxes of crackers, bags of chips and soda cans, or cups all over the place.:getyou

:rules I have them clean up but the problems keeps growing instead of getting better.

Any suggestions...?

Teenagers in particular seem to be in constant state of :beamup

freeby4me
10-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Take away all the snacks. Leave out specific items for after school, no pop or anything and tell them they gotta clean up their act if they want it back.

buttrfli
10-25-2007, 10:53 AM
I just have to say that the title of this thread cracked me up!

snacks and teenagers...left all over basement!

I can understand the snacks, but who left the teenagers all over your basement? :lol

earnhardt1
10-25-2007, 11:02 AM

I can understand the snacks, but who left the teenagers all over your basement? :lol

:stork lol i just had to................

my hubby has a hard time putting his damn snacks awasy to and it drives me crazy

kidzpca
10-25-2007, 11:06 AM

Thanks for pointing this out LOL

BTW it was me whom left the teenagers all over the basement after the teenagers left the snacks all over the basement. POW!!!

JK

earnhardt1
10-25-2007, 11:06 AM
lmao

tigger4
10-25-2007, 11:29 AM
My kids aren't allowed to eat anywhere other than the kitchen and dining room for that reason.

kidzpca
10-25-2007, 11:47 AM
My kids aren't allowed to eat anywhere other than the kitchen and dining room for that reason.

Yes but they keep getting in the pantry in the basement no matter what we do...lock, block etc.

I'm about to blow up the basement pantry if the crap doesn't stop.

MistyWolf
10-25-2007, 12:24 PM
If they didn't clean up after themselves, they wouldn't be allowed to eat in the basement .. period!

Some major grounding would be going on if they disobeyed me.

Willow
10-25-2007, 01:15 PM

Same here! My son is 13 and the only time he would get to eat in the living room is if we were watching a movie and were having pop corn.

tigger4
10-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Sounds like someone needs to be grounded from the basement.

ahippiechic
10-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Same here! My son is 13 and the only time he would get to eat in the living room is if we were watching a movie and were having pop corn.

Same here too. She asks to take snacks into her room but we always tell her no. (Once I found a friut snack stuck to the bottom of her keyboard, so no more snacks in there!)

BigLyd1
10-25-2007, 01:46 PM
It's only my hubby, older stepson, and myself. But my stepson has always been allowed to eat in the upstairs office and I have never agreed with that. To me, eating should be confined to the kitchen and dining room.

cathych
10-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Be glad that the only problem that you have with your teenager is leaving snacks in the basement is what I have to say! (you don't know how lucky you are).

kidzpca
10-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Be glad that the only problem that you have with your teenager is leaving snacks in the basement is what I have to say! (you don't know how lucky you are).

can I add, not doing chores what-so-ever...("it's woman's work") according to my 13 yo...not doing homework or bringing it home (and the teacher's blame us---the parents...wtf...?) Constantly on phone, friends live here not at their homes....and the list goes on and on.

magenta
10-25-2007, 06:39 PM
No body in our house eats in the kitchen. I can't remember the last time food was at our table in the kitchen. I am pretty lax about that. I vacuum out the couch almost everyday, and I could feed a small country on what is in there.

My Dh hates when I eat crackers in our bed. I think it is funny, cuz I eat on his side not mine!

iluvmybaby
10-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Impose a rule that they can only eat in the kitchen, and I am sending MY teenager your way before I have a mental breakdown, I am ready to pull out my hair:gaah I am praying for patience, for you AND fore me, if you can figure out how to get a teenager to listen when you speak, let me know! The new rule in the house is, "If you can't say anything nice, dont say anything at all."

cinnamonch
10-25-2007, 07:57 PM
can I add, not doing chores what-so-ever...("it's woman's work") according to my 13 yo...not doing homework or bringing it home (and the teacher's blame us---the parents...wtf...?) Constantly on phone, friends live here not at their homes....and the list goes on and on.

simple solutions.

No chores - no money for things, no new clothes, etc
No homework, can't bring it home - no friends, no tv, no games or better yet take a day or even 1/2 day and got to school with them. After you embarrass them the first time, they wont want it to happen again.
friends at home - don't you know how to send them back where they belong. tell their parents to come get them or that they can't come to your house until your child decides to grow up.

tigger4
10-25-2007, 11:12 PM

As far as not doing the chores, I would find the nastiest most disgusting thing in your house that needs to be cleaned and that would be what he would be doing this weekend.

As for the homework, it is the parents fault to a certain degree. As a parent it is your job to instill in your child a work ethic. Whether that means taking everything they own away until the homework is done on a consistent basis or some other harsh punishment that is what you have to do .

And for the being on the phone all the time and their friends constantly at the house. Are you the parent and adult in this relationship. Then, not to be a bitch but start acting like one.

Willow
10-26-2007, 06:34 AM

Sounds like typical teenagers. It's rough but you will get through it. I went through it with my daughter who will be 20 in December and I'm going through stuff with my 13 year old son. Just be happy that they aren't in any legal trouble.

tigger4
10-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Sounds like typical teenagers. It's rough but you will get through it. I went through it with my daughter who will be 20 in December and I'm going through stuff with my 13 year old son. Just be happy that they aren't in any legal trouble.

Yeah, my kids try to get out of things. But, they know that if they want any kind of a life outside of their room there are rules to follow. Grades must be maintained, chores done, rules followed, etc. There are no exceptions to this.

He sounds like he just lets his kids walk all over him.

cathych
10-26-2007, 07:31 AM
yes, don't worry, this too shall pass & you will hardly remember it. Really.

Momof2totsand1teen
10-26-2007, 09:44 AM
simple solutions.

No chores - no money for things, no new clothes, etc
No homework, can't bring it home - no friends, no tv, no games or better yet take a day or even 1/2 day and got to school with them. After you embarrass them the first time, they wont want it to happen again.
friends at home - don't you know how to send them back where they belong. tell their parents to come get them or that they can't come to your house until your child decides to grow up.

Cinnamonch is right, very simple solutions. Who is the parent and who is the child is what I am wondering.

Momof2totsand1teen
10-26-2007, 09:51 AM
No body in our house eats in the kitchen. I can't remember the last time food was at our table in the kitchen. I am pretty lax about that. I vacuum out the couch almost everyday, and I could feed a small country on what is in there.

My Dh hates when I eat crackers in our bed. I think it is funny, cuz I eat on his side not mine!

But what about greasy food, like chips? Just vacuuming does not remove oils and grease that most foods have. ick.

PinkAquila
10-26-2007, 10:55 AM
One of my biggest pet peeves is having the kids leave open boxes of crackers, bags of chips and soda cans, or cups all over the place.:getyou

:rules I have them clean up but the problems keeps growing instead of getting better.

Any suggestions...?

Teenagers in particular seem to be in constant state of :beamup

One thing I did was take out all their snacks and put jars of baby food in their place. My 3 teen boys came home with some of their friends, and when they opened the cuboard they were surprised. I told them if they were not old enough to clean up after themselves, they are not old enough to eat regular snack food. lol The friends started cracking up... But they do now clean up when they are through.
The next day my oldest son said his best friend brought a jar of baby food to give him for lunch...lol

magenta
10-26-2007, 11:18 AM
But what about greasy food, like chips? Just vacuuming does not remove oils and grease that most foods have. ick.

My DH is in the furniture business, everything is stain gaurded. I works well.

kidzpca
10-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, my kids try to get out of things. But, they know that if they want any kind of a life outside of their room there are rules to follow. Grades must be maintained, chores done, rules followed, etc. There are no exceptions to this.

He sounds like he just lets his kids walk all over him.

No I don't let my kids walk all over me...the OP was about snacks being left all over the basement by the teenagers and My trying to get advice of getting the kids to clean up after themselves, not my parenting skills. Which are btw much better then one will ever know.

ilovecats
10-26-2007, 08:32 PM
No I don't let my kids walk all over me...the OP was about snacks being left all over the basement by the teenagers and My trying to get advice of getting the kids to clean up after themselves, not my parenting skills. Which are btw much better then one will ever know.
I don't question your parenting skills at all.I was brought up so strict that it was suffocating.I will never nitpick over eating in A different room,I do it and my kids do too.I figure it really doesn't matter if it is the kitchen or some other room,I have to clean it anyway.As far as your basement question,I think some people are just natural born slobs.The rest of my home is clean,but everything you mentioned in the op can be found in my 19 yr olds room.YUCK!

DrGrin
10-27-2007, 11:55 AM

Same here. Unless it's popcorn while watching movies. Then they have to clean up after themselves.

Impose a rule that they can only eat in the kitchen, and I am sending MY teenager your way before I have a mental breakdown, I am ready to pull out my hair:gaah I am praying for patience, for you AND fore me, if you can figure out how to get a teenager to listen when you speak, let me know! The new rule in the house is, "If you can't say anything nice, dont say anything at all."

NO!!!!!!!!! Don't pray for patience. :D The Bible says Tribulation worketh patience. :rofl:

MOMMYOF2BOYZ
10-27-2007, 01:33 PM
stop buying snacks and the problem is solved

hblueeyes
10-27-2007, 05:55 PM
My boys will clean it up but only after days and days and days. Mounds of pop cans most only half empty. Chip bags, wrappers all over the place. I said they needed to pick up each time, every time. So one day, I went in the basement and put bras and undies all over the TV, video counsel, sofa, end tables. Boy were they embarrassed. But they got the message.

Me

kidzpca
10-28-2007, 06:54 PM
My boys will clean it up but only after days and days and days. Mounds of pop cans most only half empty. Chip bags, wrappers all over the place. I said they needed to pick up each time, every time. So one day, I went in the basement and put bras and undies all over the TV, video counsel, sofa, end tables. Boy were they embarrassed. But they got the message.

Me

Love the suggestion..thanks....