PDA

View Full Version : Not a good time to be in California...

NoFoolPrice
10-24-2007, 04:18 AM
3:30 a.m. and still dark outside, from my home I can see Arrowhead and Running Springs burning to the east, it looks worse this morning than it did yesterday, I think I can see 3 fires up there now and it does look like it's climbing toward Big Bear, it's breaking my heart. It's just too hard to fight at night without those fantastic water drops. Fallbrook and San Diego fires are South of me, incredible amount of smoke hit us from them yesterday. Helicopters were taking water out of the lake in my town yesterday to fight them. My biggest personal worry is the Santiago fire, it's on the Western edge of Cleveland National Forest, my back yard is the Eastern edge. They were sending all the aircraft to Malibu while San Diego and Orange County burnt up, hopefully now that Malibu is contained us peasants can get some more help from the air. 17 fires yesterday! So much of this has to be arson, it makes me sick. I think arson deserves murder charges, whether or not there are deaths resulting - anyone that could do this shows a total lack of respect for life or property. This is so nerve wracking, I'm sure there are a lot of us in So Ca wide awake, watching out the windows and listening for sirens. The hills behind me burnt up this time last year, that was pretty scary at the time, we came awful close to losing our home, right now I'm grateful for those burnt out hills providing some kind of a fire break. I think water drops are the only thing that will save Arrowhead and Santiago now, the terrain is just so steep and innaccessible and the fires so big, praying for daylight to come soon so they can continue. Qualcomm stadium is amazing, people are calm and organized, and only in California - there are booths set up offering alternative medicine such as acupuncture and yoga. I'm worried about the seniors, during the last big fire they said they lost 1/3 of the senior citizens that had to be evacuated, they evacuated the Arrowhead hospital last night, I hope everyone is able to take it in stride. Hug a firefighter, we have the best firefighters in the world here, we are so indebted and so grateful for them, please pray that they will stay safe.

PrincessArky
10-24-2007, 04:26 AM
I have been watching it on tv it justs so tragic what all is happening there :(

octnan2000
10-24-2007, 04:37 AM
I'm praying for all of you in ca. My 76 year old aunt and 84 year old uncle were evacuated on Monday from Ranchos Penasquitos in san diego. They are is Carlsbad now with my cousin but no word on their home.They are in the area of the witch creek fire and it is still only 1% contained. Our prayers are with all of you in harms way and also for the firefighters and their families.Stay safe and God be with you all

NoFoolPrice
10-24-2007, 05:04 AM
Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. So sorry to hear about your aunt and uncle, octnan2000, I do hope their home is saved. The Witch fire is huge, and I don't think it received the attention it should have from the beginning, hopefully with new air fighters coming in today they should get it under control. San Diego has been hit hardest of all, those poor people! We sure have our share of disasters here - in the past year in my town I have seen earthquakes, fires, drought, a tornado and a flood. Just sittin' here waiting for the locusts to come...

Urban Cowgirl
10-24-2007, 05:17 AM
Its pretty scary. My Dad's cousin's husband and all there sons are firefighters. They live in Simi Valley I think.

gmyers
10-24-2007, 05:48 AM
I've been watching what happening on tv. I hope they get it under control soon so you and nobody else loses their homes.

Pepsi4me
10-24-2007, 06:04 AM
I hope they can get it under control soon.

Good luck!

Stay safe!

Tasha405
10-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Its such a scary and sad thing. I hope they can get it all under control soon too. My heart goes out to all of you there!! :hug

lymi
10-24-2007, 07:39 AM
such beautiful homes and scenery gone. I am so sorry . Please keep us informed of your safety.

Mary_Jo3
10-24-2007, 08:12 AM
These fires are terrible and so sad to see people lose everything they have worked for all their lives, hubby keeps me grounded by saying at least they are alive. My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone in this situation.

Mom2Shaun
10-24-2007, 11:56 AM
I live just south of Los Angeles, and the air was pretty smokey yesterday; my car is covered with ash. The radio says to keep our windows closed in the house and the car. When we run the A/C in the car, we are supposed to have it where it recycles the air in the car, and not to have it pull in "fresh" air, as it's full of ash and chemicals.

I feel so sorry for those people! I don't know how I could cope if I was burned out. Pray for the fire fighters and the victims.

freeby4me
10-24-2007, 12:10 PM
(((HUGS))) and thoughts going out to all in California. Keep us updated please!

belleofpa
10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
I have family in and around Carson Ca. Are the fires near there?

NoFoolPrice
10-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Gee, Im feeling a bit better now, it might have something to do with this sitting in the lake within eyesight from my house -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/axiepics/sets/72057594141461469/

This was absolutely incredible, only two left in the world, they sent it from Canada and it buzzed my house 5 times before landing in our little lake. I heard the helicopters first, thought 'oh no, fire' and ran outside then here comes this water bomber right over my head! I have video and pics, it was so close I could almost see the pilots. They sent us 'Hawaii Mars', with a red tail. Of course we went down to the lake and cheered them with everyone, the story is that they are going through customs here before they can join in the fight tomorrow, I plan on getting more pics in the morning. I can never post pics here, if someone wants to host them please pm me with addy to send to. Thank you, Canada! We've been feeling a bit ignored here in southernmost cali, what with Malibu and er, wealthier areas getting all the air fighters, but help is coming from everywhere and I feel so much more optimistic.
belleofpa - Carson is fine, haven't heard of any fires there or close. If anyone else is wondering if they have friends or family in a threatened town, ask and I'll tell you what I know. I imagine we have more up to date info here in the state.
Had a fire 3 miles down the road from me today, scary, we're right at the base of the mountains, national forest, and we are prime material for an arsonist. There is one road in and out of here, I live on it and that's where the fire started, so I'm a bit suspicious, if someone wanted to cause trouble it's a perfect spot. Don't know the cause of it yet, but they knocked it out with only 12 acres burned. The last I heard I believe we are down to 7 fires, the smoke of which forms a big triangle around us, it's so surreal, all these funnels of smoke leading up to a roof of smoke for as far as I can see. The San Diego-Fallbrook fires, the Irvine-Santiago fires, and the Arrowhead fires all come together with each of the fires smoke forming its own side of the triangle. I so wish I had a better camera, I just can't capture it on my cheapo digital. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts, please keep them coming for all those that have lost their homes.

belleofpa
10-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info.

Mom2Shaun
10-25-2007, 08:12 PM
I have family in and around Carson Ca. Are the fires near there?

Hey, that's where I live! Nope, no fires here, thank God! Although I have a fire bug living 2 doors down from me, and we back up to the big empty, extremely dry field between the 405 Fwy and the mobile home park. (I just hope we remain safe.) I've already reported this guy numerous times, and I actually started a thread about it