PDA

View Full Version : shingles!

buglebe
10-23-2007, 08:55 PM
I Have shingles AGAIN!!!!

Tasha405
10-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Oh no! I've never had them and I hope I never get them. My mom had them once and said they were so painful. Is this your 2nd time getting them?

Jackie_Blu
10-23-2007, 10:05 PM
So sorry for you,sweetie :hug I haven't had them either, but know a couple people who have & hear they are incredibly painful.

Quaker_Parrots
10-24-2007, 03:05 AM
So sorry, maybe something here will relieve your pain: http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/47/115.cfm

teenies*mom
10-24-2007, 04:01 AM
sorry you have them again - I have never had them but heard they are painful

xtrememom
10-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Oh wow not again sending you lots of hugs, can you ask your Doctor if they can put you in Lyrica for the pain, its been shown to help with Shingles pain.

xtrememom

tracyb
10-24-2007, 05:24 AM
my dh had them when I was pregnant with my youngest dd and that worried me sooo bad.....had to do so much stuff to keep the virus from the baby.....hubby said that he can still feel where he had them...they ran from his spine around his left side to his belly button.....he said that was the worst pain he has ever had....we found a home remedie that help him the best.....it did not take the pain away totally but it did easy it enough for him to get some sleep at night.....

take 1capful of acetone fingernail polish remover and drop 1 plain aspirin in and let it dissolve and put that on the spots....it will freeze you because of the acetone but it does help to settle the pain for a while...enough like I said to maybe get alittle more comfortable

PICKLES
10-24-2007, 07:16 AM
My mom had the shingles once and she was in horrible pain.So sorry your having to deal them.Hope you feel better soon {{{HUGZ}}}

lymi
10-24-2007, 07:37 AM
I had them once, but fortunatly only lasted aboud 3 days. Thought I was having a brain anuerisom it hurt so bad. My mom had them severe. She got the sores and everthing. Ended up in the hospital. She would actually scream with pain. I don't think she ever totally got over it before she died. Her death was of other causes, so don't let me scare you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so for you. It is a horrible pain. So many things seem to happen to you. You seem to have a really hard time with everything. I hate that. I wish I could ease your load somehow. I can and do pray for you. I am glad that you do share all your bad experiences with us. It helps a small bit to unload. I so hope you get better soon

Army-Mom
10-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Bless your heart, I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Mary_Jo3
10-24-2007, 08:06 AM
I hope you feel better soon. I thought you could only get them once like chicken pox.
My mom just got over them in her ear, I didn't even know you could get them in your ear. And a friend of her's husband got it in his eye.
I hear more and more about it, are more people getting it or do we just hear more about it, what causes it, someone told mom it was stress.

peaceluver
10-24-2007, 08:10 AM
I hope you feel better soon. I have had them and they are just torture.

buglebe
10-24-2007, 08:23 AM
This is the 7th time in 5 yrs. I had them just a month ago on my right shoulder. This time it is on the front and back of my knee. The doctor said it is unusual for anyone to get them this close together. He made me come in so he could look at it because he didn't believe it was the shingles again. But it is and he said I was right.

Adra
10-24-2007, 08:31 AM
My mom (84) had shingles on her neck. The dr. said he had never seen a case so severe and she was hospitalized for 3 days. I set with her and she was begging God to let her die. She still has burning in her neck. Plus she has lost some of her memory, the dr. explained how that happened but basically the way I understood it , it was so painful, and so close to her brain it burned out some of the cells.

I am 54 and I know I had heard of shingles, but I do not remember ever hearing about it being this painful. It sounds frightening.

I have heard that you can get nerves cut so you do not feel the pain. Perhaps this is an option for you to check into.

God's child
10-24-2007, 09:26 AM
My 14 year old daughter had them last October. We happened to get to the dr. quickly enough that she could take the zovirax pills and use the zovirax cream she had for cold sores. She had to miss a whole week of school, which for her was worse than the shingles. She still has a little residual pain every once in a while. Hers were on her thigh and behind her knee. Hope yours are better soon!

whatever
10-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I have psoraisis and so i have scales on a few parts of my body. so when i got some shingle spots i never knew that is what they were (this was several years ago) and i was getting the sharp pain. it feels like someone is trying to slice you with a knife.
So i feel your pain!! I only get little pains every now and again. what is more embarrarssing is they prescribe valtrex (the herpes med) so when you go the pharmacy you wonder what they think.
but i was told everyone has this. It will only flare up in some people. usually when they are under alot of stress etc. Usually there is a cause for it to happen. something with the immune system etc.
so i'm with sweetie.

tracyb
10-24-2007, 10:47 AM
lol...I know...had to get hubbys meds.....and it was not cheap either....and all I could think was...oh my gosh...they think we have something bad....lol

stress brings them out on a person....it has been 6 yrs since dh had them and he still walks with his arm hanging out and not touching his side because he can still feel the burning when you touch it

Mom2Shaun
10-24-2007, 04:21 PM
OMG, you poor thing! I really feel for you! Take good care of yourself and hang in there.

MistyWolf
10-24-2007, 08:50 PM
I had them this past January and hope I never get them again. I caught them early on so the pain wasn't horrible all the time .. there were just some times when I had my moments. It started on my side and went to a spot on my back and on my stomach. I have a real faint scar on my side .. but it isn't as bad as I thought. I read online you will always have a scar from shingles.

My doc gave me Valtrex (just threw my bottle away today .. was saving for a refill just in case :crossfingers) and Zovirax creme. I think what made it worse was that it was cold and when I got a chill is when it really bothered me.

My grandma got them after surgery and her pain never went away .. I felt bad for her.

Hope your feeling better soon and that you don't get them again.

janelle
10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I got them on my jaw. It was in the Fall like this and the doc said seems more cases come in at this time. They don't know why.

I caught it fast and took all the pills. I never had any pain with them, only itching. No residual pain either, knock on wood. Hope I never get them again.

I thought they were bug bites until I remembered how my brother told us about his and how he suffered. I got to the doc as fast as I could.

christianw27
10-25-2007, 03:17 AM
oh man that sucks. I've had them before....hope you feel better soon.:surrender

Trishntx
10-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I had them on the back of my head......I thought I was going to die....it hurt just to breathe....It took about two weeks for it to go away with medication.

kidzpca
10-25-2007, 07:19 PM
I Have shingles AGAIN!!!!

I feel for you...

Get better soon

kidzpca
10-25-2007, 07:28 PM
What do shingle look like..?

Never had them but anyone whom has had chicken pox can get them...

tracyb
10-25-2007, 07:47 PM
to me my dh's looked like the start of ringworm on his back and it just kept on spreading from his back around his left side to his belly button.....ughhh it was awful here...I was pregnant...high risk because of miscarries and had to wear gloves to wash hubbys cloths...he could not sleep with me....it was very nerve wrecking for me.....I went straight to my dr to make sure what I had to do because I was sooo scared something would happen to the baby.....she was worried too but God above kept us safe.

janelle
10-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Mine started out like bug bites then went into blisters. It's the blister stage when you need to be careful not to be around pregnant women and young children who haven't had chicken pox.

Maybe they look like the chicken pox sores. It's been a long time since I have seen chicken pox.

MistyWolf
10-25-2007, 09:47 PM
http://www.hoinews.com/uploadedImages/whoi/News/Stories/SHINGLES.jpg

I actually thought it was ringworm at first too and thought I picked it up from the chair I sat in for hours on end when Erin was in the hospital in January.

Google "shingles" and hit images and you'll see different degrees of shingles.

MistyWolf
10-25-2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/tw/shingles3-09-01.JPG

Mine kind of looked like this but weren't as big.

buttrfli
10-26-2007, 06:42 AM
My DD had them when she was 14... and had them 3 more times since (shes 26 now) She gets them on her back and she gets so miserable :(

tracyb
10-26-2007, 05:09 PM
hubbys looked like that first big blister one.....it was awful.....I think it paronoid me more because of the baby and that is when I think I got all my grey hairs...lol

jedmatters
10-26-2007, 09:32 PM
My husband had them last year, at a very stressful time.
The doctor gave him anti-depessants to help.
And he saw an acupuncturist for the pain.