PDA

View Full Version : How were you raised?

PrincessArky
10-22-2007, 12:21 PM
The other thread got me to wondering how things have changed over the course of raising kids.........I am just curious how you were raised......as in with spanking or groundings or whatever

My mother never laid a hand on me but my brothers and I were beaten with a bull whip by my dad........I still have it but no I have never used it on my kids but I have showed them where some of the marks on my body came from

MistyWolf
10-22-2007, 12:26 PM
We were spanked (not beat, I do believe there is a difference), grounded, put in the corner, and none of it mattered cause we were still hellions .. lol. I think for the most part we were good kids (my parents had 5) but when we were bad, we didn't skimp on it ;)

My mom did most of the discipline, but we knew we were in for it when she called dad!!

ahippiechic
10-22-2007, 12:27 PM
My grandmother only gave me one whipping. I sneaked down to the pond by myself one day when I was 4 or 5, and she stripped the back of my legs all the way back to the house, with a switch! (I never ever even thought of doing that again, either!) Other than that, she would make me go pick her a 'switch' off the peach tree in the backyard, to spank me with, but never follwed thru, she just used it to threaten me with, lol! :D

My grandfather used to spank me a lot with a belt, until I got big enough to take it away from him (about 12 or 13), I guess. And not just on the butt, either. When he got really mad, he would be swinging it around everywhere. I have had a bruise on my cheek from it.

magenta
10-22-2007, 12:38 PM
My parents were pretty laid back, if I didn't clean my room, my dad would get a garbage bag and clean it for me. That sucked. Everytime I was grounded, I would worm my way out of it. May parents divorced when I was 15. After that I got away w/ murder. I took advantage of the situation. I came home drunk and my hang over was my punishment. My parents I see now, were just really niave.

I am an ok person now, but I was pretty much wild and could talk my way out of anything. I talked my way out of a B&E when I was 17. The cop never even called my parents. Ohh, I was really bad.

ljtaylor
10-22-2007, 12:55 PM
We got spanked also. Always by my mom she would make us get our own switches and peel it to where it was yellow and wet. If we got a small one she'd whoop us harder. She was def not the one to mess with. My dad never spanked us except this one time he came home from the bar drunk and i had the radio uo loud and every time he'd come in my room to shut it off i'd turn it up louder finally he got fed up and whooped the crap out of me with this phone we had. I called my mom the next day and she didn't have any sympathy for me she told i should've known better not to mess with him when he's drunk.

earnhardt1
10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
i was beaten by an evil step mom from 7-12 and vowed i would never spank my son then i went and lived with my grammy and she was the best i lived with her until miss evil came along now my step mom and i get along she was by my side the whole time at my wedding last march.... my dad only had to spank me once and i knew not to mess up again

Kyla Kym
10-22-2007, 01:24 PM
My grandmother only gave me one whipping. I sneaked down to the pond by myself one day when I was 4 or 5, and she stripped the back of my legs all the way back to the house, with a switch! (I never ever even thought of doing that again, either!) Other than that, she would make me go pick her a 'switch' off the peach tree in the backyard, to spank me with, but never follwed thru, she just used it to threaten me with, lol! :D

My grandfather used to spank me a lot with a belt, until I got big enough to take it away from him (about 12 or 13), I guess. And not just on the butt, either. When he got really mad, he would be swinging it around everywhere. I have had a bruise on my cheek from it.

Good Lord! My mamaw liked using switches too! She would get them from a overgrown hedge bush and they would be like 6 feet long and you couldn't get away from them to save your life. Those switches would wrap around you like a whip! I can remember running and climbing up trees to get away from her. Once I stayed in a tree until dark when my daddy was suppose to pick me up. :laugh:

I only remember daddy whipping me once with a belt, and it started in the kitchen, he whipped me all the way down the hall and into the bathroom. I was trying to hide behind the toilet to get away from him. Whew that was scary! I deserved it though, I disobeyed him, and I have the best daddy in the world. :)

My mom was a different story...I was one of those kids you hear about that raise their arms to shield themselves if anyone raised their arm fast because I was so use to getting hit by her. Now that I'm an adult, I can recall adults making comments to me about why I raised my arm like that, that they wasn't going to hurt me. It was just a reflex from being use to being hit I guess. Mom would hit me with her hand all the time in the face or wherever she felt like hitting me. She used things to whip me like electrical cords that would cut into my flesh.

I remember once when I got home from school her being so mad at me. She wanted to know who I had told about her spanking me. I said no one. I just thought all kids were treated that way. Someone had called her in for child abuse, and that was rare back then. I think back about that now, and I think it might have been my mom's sister that called her in because I can recall her asking me once how I got all the bruises on my legs, and I just said I don't know.

I got paddlings every year I was in school from the first grade to the 12th. So maybe I'm just one of those people that need to be whipped to keep in line. Just kidding, but it feels that way sometimes. :)

Oh and I forgive my mom, she made my childhood a living night mare and I won't even get into all the evil mind games she played on me. But I do forgive her for it.

I rarely spanked my son. He did get them though, but only with my hand, and only on the butt. That way it hurt my hand as well as his butt so I knew how hard I was hitting.

catdance
10-22-2007, 01:58 PM
I got the 'switch" too, I didn't have any idea when my Mammy told me "go on outside, see that pretty tree? Pick me a real nice branch a really nice one..I did, and boy after what happened, I will never pick the LONGEST and Prettiest branch..I had moved with her for a summer and went to the 7-11, I didn't have a bike with her, so I just figured I could take one..yeah, I never made it home and she already KNEW I had taken a bike that wasn't mine..
I have no scars from it but I wasn't wearing any clothes bu the time I got my "lesson learned" and I have never stolen anythng again, either, but I really didn't think I was stealing anything, just BORROWING a bike I just thought since I left mine in Chicago, I could just well..you get the idea, I was the only white kid, so it was pretty obvious to get caught, I never told my Mama and Daddy either, because I knew I was really wrong and then my Daddy wouldn't let near Gertie anymore..My parents however, didn't use a SWITCH, my Mama rather fancied a FLY SWATTER or a WOODEN SPOON, both made thier points however..no one would say much after those times, sometimes it was the middle of the night, as we called them" Mama's MIDNIGHT RAIDS" No one ever remembers what we did to deserve these..I can't believe I have written this, it has been years since I thought of this stuff....

Eyore
10-22-2007, 02:20 PM
My mom passed before I was 5 years old but she would use switches on me and my sister and brother. My sister and brother had to go out and get them for her to use on them. You learn to dance real fast when your legs are getting switched.
My dad used his belt, dads name was John and his belt was big John. Dad rarely used his belt on us kids but we knew we were in for it if he said, Do I need to get Big John to talk to you.
I lived with some other people after my mom passed and they used a belt, it could land on your backside or legs.
I spent weekends with my dad.
I was never beat, just go good whipping.
Once my dad passed I lived with my sister and her hubby, I was always getting grounded.

stetne
10-22-2007, 02:48 PM
My parents were the grounding type. I swear every summer, every Christmas vacation, and it seemed like even every snow day I was grounded for some crazy reason - once I was grounded for 6 months because my dad caught a neighborhood boy looking in my bedroom....and I wasn't even in the room at the time. And now that I'm a mom - I'm the grounding type too. Hopefully I'm not as strict or doing the crazy grounding like my parents were famous for. My husband got spanked and always threatens the kids with a spanking but everyone knows it won't happen. He's the parent that is the pushover - he yells at the kids and sends them to their rooms but is apologizing for yelling at them within the hour.

Heidi
10-22-2007, 03:09 PM
When we were real little we were spanked. No time outs, no standing in the corner. My dad was never allowed to spank us though. Because he would wait 'till the point that he was so PO'd that he probably would have "beat" us instead of spanked us. When we got like middle school age that is when the groundings started.

Tasha405
10-22-2007, 03:33 PM
We were spanked with switches mostly but if you caught mom in the wrong mood she would whack you with whatever she had in her hand at the time. lol Newspapers, broom, brush, shoe or whatever. :lol

But she loved using switches and we also had to pick our own. The first time she made me do that I thought she was going to whip my brother. So I picked out a good one, thinking she was gonna get him good. WRONG! It was for me. LOL She got me good too.

My dad never reall whipped us at all. He was just loud and thats all we needed from him I guess. lol

ahippiechic
10-22-2007, 04:06 PM
I said my grandma only whipped me once, but once when I was about 6 or 7, my older cousin told me to tell her "fukk you" when I was mad at her, so dumb me did. I was behind her and she was washing dishes when I said it. She popped me right in the mouth with her wet dishcloth! Boy did that hurt! It was shocked and it stung like crazy. And she told me if she ever heard that word come out of my mouth again, she'd wash it out with that dirty dishcloth.

By the time I was 16 I cursed like a sailor, but I haven't ever said the "F" word in front of her again!

Kyla Kym
10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
when I was about 6 or 7, my older cousin told me to tell her "fukk you" when I was mad at her, so dumb me did. I was behind her and she was washing dishes when I said it.
:rolling

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall about then. :rolling

Willow
10-22-2007, 04:20 PM
I grew up with a mother who didn't think twice about hitting you if you did something wrong. I only remember her hitting me a couple of times but my brothers got it more than I did. She didn't beat us but I don't ever remember her trying to talk to us or put us in time out first. She still thinks the same way. When my kids were little they would act up a bit when I was on the phone. I guess they figured I was occupied with other things and that it was time for them to cause trouble. LOL If I happened to be on the phone with my mother and she heard the commotion she would always say why don't you just smack them. That was her answer to everything. I did spank my kids when they were little but it was as a last resort. She used to drive me nuts with that crap.

ahippiechic
10-22-2007, 04:40 PM
:rolling

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall about then. :rolling

LMAO! I didn't know that old lady could move that fast! I was popped, and she was right down in my face before I even realized what had happened! But when she asked me where I heard that word, I told on my cousin and he got a spanking by his mom later that day, lol! :D

sheila_361
10-22-2007, 06:00 PM
my mom would spank my sister and me, she broke a few wooden spoons on our butts.. my step-dad never did spank us though.

Mom2Shaun
10-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Wow! You guys had it haaaaard! Whippings and switchings? Yikes!

There were 8 kids in my family, and my Mom was unbelievably patient and gentle. I only remember being put over her lap once for a spanking. Of course, if we were being mean to one another or extremely sassy, she would give us a swat on the bottom, but not enough to hurt, more of a warning. (She's been told that she elevated the virtue of patience to the point of being a vice! LOL!) When I ask her why she was so patient, she says it's because she and her 5 brothers and sisters were so much naughtier than we were (I can't imagine that, because we were just terrible sometimes!), and she always thought we were so cute. Can you believe it? I wish I had her patience!

Now my Dad, on the other hand, might sneak up behind you if you were doing something bad, and just drop-kick you across the room. That's when I found out I could fly thru the air!

okie
10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I was raised by my grandparents. I can't remember my grandmother ever spanking us but I'm sure she did at some point. My grandfather on the other hand would spank us with his belt, one time a small tree branch and a switch that was a bunch of rubber strips(the kind that are around your car windows). That hurt like hell and left welt marks. I didn't piss him off too often! I got yelled at, grounded, things taken away, sent to my room and so on. I remember now, grandma would make us stick our nose in the corner.

dv8grl
10-22-2007, 08:31 PM
my dad never spanked us (sister & myself) ever, but he did put the fear of death in you just by a grab & a stare.

okie
10-22-2007, 08:37 PM
I said my grandma only whipped me once, but once when I was about 6 or 7, my older cousin told me to tell her "fukk you" when I was mad at her, so dumb me did. I was behind her and she was washing dishes when I said it. She popped me right in the mouth with her wet dishcloth! Boy did that hurt! It was shocked and it stung like crazy. And she told me if she ever heard that word come out of my mouth again, she'd wash it out with that dirty dishcloth.

By the time I was 16 I cursed like a sailor, but I haven't ever said the "F" word in front of her again!

I was really bad, especially when I was a teenager. One time, I called my grandmother a bitch. I think that was the only time she ever hit me. She slapped me hard. I never made that mistake again! Ocassionally, I would slip and say shit or something and she would make me put soap in my mouth.

pepperpot
10-22-2007, 08:39 PM
I was raised by my grandparents. I can't remember my grandmother ever spanking us but I'm sure she did at some point. My grandfather on the other hand would spank us with his belt, one time a small tree branch and a switch that was a bunch of rubber strips(the kind that are around your car windows). That hurt like hell and left welt marks. I didn't piss him off too often! I got yelled at, grounded, things taken away, sent to my room and so on. I remember now, grandma would make us stick our nose in the corner.

:lol I've never heard of this :lol

okie
10-22-2007, 08:46 PM
:lol I've never heard of this :lol

My nose stayed in a corner. I can't believe that I almost forgot about those days.They also locked us out of the house during the summer because we went in and out too much. I remember hearing were you born in a barn, do you think we own the OG&E(electric company)?

ahippiechic
10-22-2007, 08:56 PM
I remember hearing were you born in a barn, do you think we own the OG&E(electric company)?

YEP!

My 1st grade teacher had me spend a lot of time with my nose in a circle she had drawn on the chalkboard. I had to tiptoe to get my nose in that circle!

YankeeMary
10-22-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the chuckle. I remember me and my baby brother, Brady, would get in trouble, our mom would make us stand in a corner with our nose stuck in it. She'd go in the other room and we would giggle and giggle and finally she just let us out...lol.
I was very lucky, I was never overly punished or beat. My mom tried to "spank" us and we would just laugh cause it didn't hurt, and she would being crying cause she didn't want to whip us, that made us laugh harder. My poor mom...she was a single mom. Me and my baby brother wore her out.

okie
10-22-2007, 09:03 PM
YEP!

My 1st grade teacher had me spend a lot of time with my nose in a circle she had drawn on the chalkboard. I had to tiptoe to get my nose in that circle!

I got spanked the first day of 1st grade by my principal. The teacher told me to quit talking and I just wouldn't shut up! I was quiet the rest of the year, even raised my hand before talking. There was a rumor that went around the school that the principal had an electric paddle and I was scared to death when I got sent to her office. I got another spanking from my grandfather when I got home because the principal had called him.

YankeeMary
10-22-2007, 09:06 PM
I got spanked the first day of 1st grade by my principal. The teacher told me to quit talking and I just wouldn't shut up! I was quiet the rest of the year, even raised my hand before talking. There was a rumor that went around the school that the principal had an electric paddle and I was scared to death when I got sent to her office. I got another spanking from my grandfather when I got home because the principal had called him.

OMG the electric paddle...we thought our principal had one also...lol.

okie
10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the chuckle. I remember me and my baby brother, Brady, would get in trouble, our mom would make us stand in a corner with our nose stuck in it. She'd go in the other room and we would giggle and giggle and finally she just let us out...lol.
I was very lucky, I was never overly punished or beat. My mom tried to "spank" us and we would just laugh cause it didn't hurt, and she would being crying cause she didn't want to whip us, that made us laugh harder. My poor mom...she was a single mom. Me and my baby brother wore her out.

I don't know why, because my grandmother didn't spank that hard, but she was working and she told us(me,sister and cousin) to go bend over the couch so that she could spank us. She is a beautician and she works out of her home. Anyway, she was busy working and before she could come in the living room we all went in the bathroom and put toilet paper in our panties. When she realized it wasn't hurting us she made us pull down our pants and we got caught!

okie
10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
OMG the electric paddle...we thought our principal had one also...lol.

lol

YankeeMary
10-22-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't know why, because my grandmother didn't spank that hard, but she was working and she told us(me,sister and cousin) to go bend over the couch so that she could spank us. She is a beautician and she works out of her home. Anyway, she was busy working and before she could come in the living room we all went in the bathroom and put toilet paper in our panties. When she realized it wasn't hurting us she made us pull down our pants and we got caught!

LOL...tried that, got busted also...haha. I remember when my mom would be on the phone my brother and I would always show out...why? I have no clue, she would say "when I get off here, you are gonna get it" (meaning a spanking)...I remember us hiding when we heard her say good bye...lol. I remember hiding numerous times in the dryer and me and Brady would fight because that was the best hiding place...haha.

BeanieLuvR
10-22-2007, 09:15 PM
I was only whipped once with a belt by my dad. He used to whip my brothers pretty bad. They were older than me. My mom told him if he ever hit me again she would leave. He never did. She slapped me across the mouth once when I was 16 because I sassed at her. She did switch my niece when she cussed at her. She used a Willow switch.

okie
10-22-2007, 09:16 PM
LOL...tried that, got busted also...haha. I remember when my mom would be on the phone my brother and I would always show out...why? I have no clue, she would say "when I get off here, you are gonna get it" (meaning a spanking)...I remember us hiding when we heard her say good bye...lol. I remember hiding numerous times in the dryer and me and Brady would fight because that was the best hiding place...haha.

That's what I tell my kids now. I don't think that I would have fit in the dryer.

rlynn411
10-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I have heard of the "switch" - never met up with it. My mom was more the your grounded type.

DBackFan
10-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Wow I am amzed at how many of you were hurt that way as kids. Honestly I can't remember anyone ever spanking me...ever. My Step Dad got mad at my mouth when I was a teen and slapped me across the head but thats the only time I think. There was never a belt, switch or spoon but yes I was grounded.

okie
10-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Wow I am amzed at how many of you were hurt that way as kids. Honestly I can't remember anyone ever spanking me...ever. My Step Dad got mad at my mouth when I was a teen and slapped me across the head but thats the only time I think. There was never a belt, switch or spoon but yes I was grounded.

Oh yeah, I forgot about my other grandparents. I was nine when my grandfather on that side died and I didn't see my grandmother that often. A long story for another time. Anyway, that grandfather never spanked me or atleast not that I remember. My grandmother did use a white plastic belt and a wooden spoon though. I don't remember her ever using it too often though.

For the grandparents that raised me, I was a really bad kid. You name it, I did it. So I probably had some of it coming to me.

ssgjeg
10-22-2007, 11:23 PM
I grew up with a mother who didn't think twice about hitting you if you did something wrong. I only remember her hitting me a couple of times but my brothers got it more than I did. She didn't beat us but I don't ever remember her trying to talk to us or put us in time out first. She still thinks the same way. When my kids were little they would act up a bit when I was on the phone. I guess they figured I was occupied with other things and that it was time for them to cause trouble. LOL If I happened to be on the phone with my mother and she heard the commotion she would always say why don't you just smack them. That was her answer to everything. I did spank my kids when they were little but it was as a last resort. She used to drive me nuts with that crap.

My mother was exactly the same way and still is. My son is 13 and taller than me and she still wants me to paddle him if he acts up.

My grandfather used to make my mom paddles but they were to thin and she kept breaking them on my brothers and they would laugh at her. I can still hear her saying "Go out to the barn and get me another paddle". She had a stock of them things. She got tired of them breaking so my step dad made her one that made it through 5 kids. She had to paint it black because my step brother wrote are names on it and all kinds of nasty words.

Worst one I ever got was when we walked on my step dad's car and the paint was only a week old. He only hit each of us once but I learned quick not to put my hand back there.

hotwheelstx
10-23-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm not sure to this day but I or my brother were never spanked. We were raised by a single parent our mom. From a very young age you learned what to and not to do. You always knew what would set mom off. If you did something that you knew you'd get in trouble for you were expected to take the wrath and get on with your life. Mom just yelled, made you feel really horrible if it was something she didn't approve of.

There were never any threats, things taken away or groundings. I and my brother both knew that our mom meant business when we had our "talks".

PrincessArky
10-23-2007, 04:51 AM
YEP!

I remember doing that NOT fun :(

magenta
10-23-2007, 04:54 AM
My grandparents had a paddle. It was wood w/ electrical tape wrapped around it and holes drilled in it. It hung in the kitchen. I never got it. I didn't live near them when I was growing up, but I remember it. Some of my boy cousins and uncles got it. But not alot. It was intimadating enough just to see it hanging there!