PDA

View Full Version : Printer Problems!

ahippiechic
10-22-2007, 06:37 AM
I bought a new printer on Sat and I could NOT get it to install on my PC. So my BF tried it on his, my DD's the HTPC and the server, the install wouldn't finish on any of them, they wouldn't recognise the printer. So they returned it and got another one and it wouldn't install either! We ditched the software and tried installing thru Wondows, that wouldn't work either. It would pick it up as an 'unknown device' that it couldn't install drivers for, even when I pointed it to the drivers on the CD. At that point, it's about 6 PM and we have been trying to install this printer all day and I am beyond frustrated!

I mean, I have installed a million printers and other USB devices, it should be simple! So before giving up completely and tossing it off the balcony, I found an old USB cable in the closet and tried that. It installed perfectly the 1st try and works great! I can't believe I went thru all that mess and it was the cable! The printer didn't come with one and we bought this one at the recommendation of the tech guy at the electronics store and of course it was the most expensive USB cable in the place!

I will still need to replace the cable, the one I found in the closet is only 6', so my printer in the floor by my desk. I need a longer one, so I can put it where it belongs. But at least I can print now.

Tasha405
10-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Ya know.. I had the same damn problem before. I returned the item, got another and it was the same way. I just returned it too and gave up. I never thought about it being the damn cable! LOL

Glad you got it figured out. Hopefully the new longer cable will work too when you get it. lol

ahippiechic
10-22-2007, 08:21 AM
It was funny in a way. My Ex was here and he and my DH were teasing me about not being able to install it. When I finally got them to stop messing with another PC and try to do it for me, then it was my turn to laugh at them, because they couldn't install it either!

My DH was like, 'let's take it back and get her a diff. one, you don't know how bitchy she will be if she don't get this set up." And my EX was like, "oh yes, I DO know! Yeah, let's go take it back!" LMAO! :D

iluvmybaby
10-22-2007, 08:24 AM
What kind of printer is it and what operating system do you run on your computer?

ahippiechic
10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
What kind of printer is it and what operating system do you run on your computer?

It's an Epson Stylus Photo RX580

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63059193

I run WinXP Pro (Corp. version)

It works now, just needed a diff USB cable.

Quaker_Parrots
10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
I wont have another Epson. We had one that we had problems with the ink jets getting clogged, and couldn't clean them out, and Epson knew about the problem with that model, and wouldn't stand behind their product, basically they had the attitude that I was dumb enough to buy their printer, so it was my baby.

ahippiechic
10-22-2007, 09:50 AM
I wont have another Epson. We had one that we had problems with the ink jets getting clogged, and couldn't clean them out, and Epson knew about the problem with that model, and wouldn't stand behind their product, basically they had the attitude that I was dumb enough to buy their printer, so it was my baby.

That sux, I've had 2 of them and had really good luck with them. I've never had to deal with them for anything. The HP that I wanted was a little too expensive to ask for right now, this one was a BDay gift, so I'm not complaining. :)

iluvmybaby
10-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Dang I thought all USB cords were the same?!?! How wild!

ahippiechic
10-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Dang I thought all USB cords were the same?!?! How wild!

Me too, but maybe that one wasn't made right or something? I dunno. I'm taking it back today. (And the one that worked is a cheap one and old too!)

SLance68
10-22-2007, 12:56 PM
I have had problems with the expensive "gold" usb cords not working properly. I finally started buying the cheapest one available and they work great. I too returned a printer 3 times before a new sales person suggested that it was probably the cord. I could have strangled the guy that said you needed the expensive one or it won't work properly. I know better now.