PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Wiccan

jalex
10-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Allright...here I go

I read a little on the internet about Wiccans.
I would be very interested in that religion, but I have a couple of questions.

1) Do you have to give up believing in God? Is it like betraying God?

2) Do you have to go to a Wiccan church to "practice" the religion?

3) How do you "become" Wiccan?

and there are sooo many other questions...so, why don't you just tell me your experience with it? If you have any, of course...

Thank you soo much!!!

Willow
10-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Wiccans believe in more than one God. Christians believe there is only one God so yes it would be betraying Jesus. You don't have to go to any church. Wiccans celebrate sabbats (holidays) and they can do it in a group (circle) or they can do it at home in privacy by themselves. There are covens but usually they are held in someone's house such as the high priest. You wouldn't even have to join a coven. If you've been practicing Wicca for a long time and feel like you might want to join one than you can but it's not something that's required. All you have to do become a Wiccan is follow their beliefs. I'm going to move this to the religious forum since it's about religion. Jaime the Pooh is Wiccan and I know she could answer a lot of your questions. I don't know if she still posts here or not but she would be a good one to talk to about it.

jalex
10-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Wiccans believe in more than one God. Christians believe there is only one God so yes it would be betraying Jesus. You don't have to go to any church. Wiccans celebrate sabbats (holidays) and they can do it in a group (circle) or they can do it at home in privacy by themselves. There are covens but usually they are held in someone's house such as the high priest. You wouldn't even have to join a coven. If you've been practicing Wicca for a long time and feel like you might want to join one than you can but it's not something that's required. All you have to do become a Wiccan is follow their beliefs. I'm going to move this to the religious forum since it's about religion. Jaime the Pooh is Wiccan and I know she could answer a lot of your questions. I don't know if she still posts here or not but she would be a good one to talk to about it.

Thank you Patchouli!
I do hope others will tell me more about it. I am afraid of God's wrath (sp?) if I would become Wiccan...(is that stupid?)

Oh, and sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. Right after I posted it, I thought that I should have posted it in here....thanks for moving it!

Willow
10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
You're welcome! Christians believe there is only one God (Jesus) and that it's wrong to believe in anyone else. I practiced Paganism for a few years. Before that I was going to a Christian Missionary Alliance church. I guess I kind of turned my back on Jesus for a while because I stopped going to church because of some of the people. That is when I started getting into Paganism. I found another church a couple of years ago and stopped going to that one also but instead of losing my faith in Jesus this time I just lost my faith in the people. LOL A very good friend told me to keep my eyes on Jesus and not on people so that's what I try to do now. If I ever do find another church I'm not going to get involved as much as I did with the others. This has just been my experience but once you let them into your life they want to take over. At least I met my husband at the last church I went to so I did get something good out of it.

ahippiechic
10-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Yes, jaimethepooh would be an excellent person to help with the questions.

Patch knows a lot too. :)

I went thru a Pagan phase in my early 20's, but consider myself a Christian now. Wicca is a very interesting religion. And just like Christians, all Wiccans don't have the same beliefs. All Wiccans are Pagan, but not all Pagans are Wiccan, lol! Makes sense?? They are a lot of different Pagan religions, Wicca is only one of them.

Even tho I'm Christian now, I still celebrate a lot of the Pagan holidays. I don't worship any of the pagan gods, but love celebrating the earth, nature and the changing of the seasons.

Willow
10-15-2007, 09:04 AM
All Wiccans are Pagan, but not all Pagans are Wiccan, lol! Makes sense?? They are a lot of different Pagan religions, Wicca is only one of them.

I'm glad you understand that. It amazes me how many people don't. It's funny when someone will say they aren't Pagan but they are Wiccan. LOL When I was practicing Paganism I considered myself a solitary eclectic witch because I studied different aspects like the Celtic and Shamanism traditions. As you are I'm more spiritual than religious. I've always loved nature and have always had an interest in the earth based religions. I still like to collect crystals and light candles and all of that. I just don't have an altar set up anymore.

ahippiechic
10-15-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm glad you understand that. It amazes me how many people don't. It's funny when someone will say they aren't Pagan but they are Wiccan. LOL When I was practicing Paganism I considered myself a solitary eclectic witch because I studied different aspects like the Celtic and Shamanism traditions. As you are I'm more spiritual than religious. I've always loved nature and have always had an interest in the earth based religions. I still like to collect crystals and light candles and all of that. I just don't have an altar set up anymore.

I still have my alter, but it's used for decorating now. ATM, I have black and orange candles, indian corn, leaves and some sm gourds and pumpkins.

Willow
10-15-2007, 09:46 AM
I still have my alter, but it's used for decorating now. ATM, I have black and orange candles, indian corn, leaves and some sm gourds and pumpkins.

That sounds nice. When I was little I can remember my step-grandmother having a statue of Mary and a tall red candle set up on the top of her dresser. She also had rosary beads, a cross and a few other religious type things. She would light the candle every Sunday morning and leave it burning all day. Sounds a lot like an altar to me. Now when a Pagan has a similar set up some Christians think it's evil and that because they call it an altar that they are going to use it to sacrifice something. LOL

jaimethepooh
10-15-2007, 03:00 PM
ya know i had the feeling people were talking about me the other day.... i was right.
odd

here are two good site to get you looking for answers
i can answer questions regarding what i practice in privite if you want
there are so many diffrent paths that my path dosen't represent all of them and i don't want to confuse you. if that makes sense. been working all day can't think working sucks.

http://paganwiccan.about.com/
http://www.religioustolerance.org/
http://www.witchvox.com/

aslo there are sites for Christian Pagans. can't remember where they are but i'm sure if you look through some old posts of mine and Patch you'll find it somewhere.

can pm me or email me
jwynn@tampabay.rr.com

ahippiechic
10-15-2007, 03:03 PM
ya know i had the feeling people were talking about me the other day.... i was right.
odd

here are two good site to get you looking for answers
i can answer questions regarding what i practice in privite if you want
there are so many diffrent paths that my path dosen't represent all of them and i don't want to confuse you. if that makes sense. been working all day can't think working sucks.

http://paganwiccan.about.com/
http://www.religioustolerance.org/
http://www.witchvox.com/

aslo there are sites for Christian Pagans. can't remember where they are but i'm sure if you look through some old posts of mine and Patch you'll find it somewhere.

can pm me or email me
jwynn@tampabay.rr.com

Good to see you Jaime, hope things are going well for you now!

jaimethepooh
10-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Good to see you Jaime, hope things are going well for you now!

things are a little better now, not. i'm still adjusting. but i'll get through it

ahippiechic
10-15-2007, 03:54 PM
things are a little better now, not. i'm still adjusting. but i'll get through it

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts Jaime!

tngirl
10-15-2007, 04:05 PM
You know, from the little that I know about Wicca, I can't see where some of it would not be a betrayal of God. Now, I can't see worshipping other god's, that is a big no no, but celebrating and worshipping are two different things.

ahippiechic
10-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Now, I can't see worshipping other god's, that is a big no no, but celebrating and worshipping are two different things.

It's funny but SO many people don't understand that. My family and I celebrate some of the Wiccan holidays and some of the Native American ones too, so they tell me I can't be a Christian and still do. I believe in the Christian God, but I believe in celebrating nature too. If anyone is interested, here's my webpage about some of my beliefs.

http://www.myhippiespace.com/spirit.html

jaimethepooh
10-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I'll be keeping you in my thoughts Jaime!

thank you :grouphug

tngirl
10-15-2007, 04:20 PM
It's funny but SO many people don't understand that. My family and I celebrate some of the Wiccan holidays and some of the Native American ones too, so they tell me I can't be a Christian and still do. I believe in the Christian God, but I believe in celebrating nature too. If anyone is interested, here's my webpage about some of my beliefs.

http://www.myhippiespace.com/spirit.html

Well, if you are Christian then you should believe that He created the heavens and the earth, it I just don't get it. But you know, it has always saddened me the way so many "Christians" bury their heads in the sand and can't have an open mind on anything or get all holier than thou on subjects they know nothing about. I don't understand Wicca or Paganism really, just the basics and then of course all the "facts" that others like to pass along. Before I decide against something totally I like to look at the entire picture and question what I believe and why. To me that only strengthens my faith.

ahippiechic
10-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Well, if you are Christian then you should believe that He created the heavens and the earth, it I just don't get it. But you know, it has always saddened me the way so many "Christians" bury their heads in the sand and can't have an open mind on anything or get all holier than thou on subjects they know nothing about. I don't understand Wicca or Paganism really, just the basics and then of course all the "facts" that others like to pass along. Before I decide against something totally I like to look at the entire picture and question what I believe and why. To me that only strengthens my faith.

Nice to see an open mind, far too many are closed so tight, they don't even know what they are missing out on!

earnhardt1
10-15-2007, 04:39 PM
hippie i loved your page this has been something of interest to me for a long time... and my son and husband are part cherokee so that was helpful thanks

ahippiechic
10-15-2007, 04:47 PM
hippie i loved your page this has been something of interest to me for a long time... and my son and husband are part cherokee so that was helpful thanks

Thanx! My dad is Cherokee and I've never met him, so I was interested in finding out more about his religion. It is very interesting and I love some of the prayers.

tngirl
10-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I am just not one of those people that automatically take the Bible verbatim. how can you when Jesus spoke in parables? And also, who wrote Genesis and when? It sure wasn't Moses and at some stage in history someone decided to write down the story that had been passed generation to generation. So much can be lost in translations. Then you come up with the "books" that were left out of the Bible because they were not considered important. Who got to decide that?

I read somewhere or saw it on a tv show, not sure, but it said that in almost every religion that a "messiah" appeared at approximately the same time as Jesus. I thought that was cool. I can't help believe that the Lord works in mysterious ways and it is not for us to always understand but if it reaches one person then it is a success. People look at Dogma as being sacriligous, but I laughed my butt off at it and I actually learned something from that movie. Did you know that before I watched that movie I didn't know the differences in the Angels and that God actually loves us more than them? I was like WOW! So, as "sacriligious" as that movie was, it actually had a reason.

And hippie, I checked out your website and I thought it was great on how the Indian creed and the Wiccan creed kind of matches up with the Christian creed. Amazing isn't it? We are ALL after the same thing.

Willow
10-16-2007, 06:51 AM
Nice to see you Jaime. I wasn't sure if you were still around. I hope you're doing well. I will have to check out your page hippie.

jalex
10-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Thank you you guys....it will take me a while to get through this...thanks for all the info, if I have more questions, I know now who to contact...

YankeeMary
10-16-2007, 09:04 PM
You're welcome! Christians believe there is only one God (Jesus) and that it's wrong to believe in anyone else. I practiced Paganism for a few years. Before that I was going to a Christian Missionary Alliance church. I guess I kind of turned my back on Jesus for a while because I stopped going to church because of some of the people. That is when I started getting into Paganism. I found another church a couple of years ago and stopped going to that one also but instead of losing my faith in Jesus this time I just lost my faith in the people. LOL A very good friend told me to keep my eyes on Jesus and not on people so that's what I try to do now. If I ever do find another church I'm not going to get involved as much as I did with the others. This has just been my experience but once you let them into your life they want to take over. At least I met my husband at the last church I went to so I did get something good out of it.

Just gotta say...I am real proud of you Brat!!!

Willow
10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Just gotta say...I am real proud of you Brat!!!

Ahhh thanks Mary. :hug

Mom2Shaun
10-18-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm so glad there are open-minded people here! I came from another board that was mostly born-again Christians, and they were extremely intolerant. Not to say that all born-again Christians are, but the ones on that board sure were!

I was raised a Catholic. After my Mom had her 11th pregnancy (and 8th child) in 11 years, she decided that an unmarried Pope did NOT have the answers to her life! LOL! I believe that the way to God is thru love of mankind. That means taking care of our fellow man/woman, being good to the Earth, and fostering peace. I don't believe that by saying the "magic" words, "I accept Jesus into my heart," you are automatically saved, no matter what you do. I do believe that doing good things is extremely important! (Call it karma, whatever.)

As for reaching God/grace/nirvana/Heaven, the Hindus say it best, "There are many paths up the mountain. Follow one until you get to the top." So there is no one true religion.

tngirl
10-19-2007, 12:14 AM
I'm so glad there are open-minded people here! I came from another board that was mostly born-again Christians, and they were extremely intolerant. Not to say that all born-again Christians are, but the ones on that board sure were!

I was raised a Catholic. After my Mom had her 11th pregnancy (and 8th child) in 11 years, she decided that an unmarried Pope did NOT have the answers to her life! LOL! I believe that the way to God is thru love of mankind. That means taking care of our fellow man/woman, being good to the Earth, and fostering peace. I don't believe that by saying the "magic" words, "I accept Jesus into my heart," you are automatically saved, no matter what you do. I do believe that doing good things is extremely important! (Call it karma, whatever.)

As for reaching God/grace/nirvana/Heaven, the Hindus say it best, "There are many paths up the mountain. Follow one until you get to the top." So there is no one true religion.

I laid in bed the other night thinking on this very subject while I was doing my bedtime prayer. I asked how we were suppose to know with faith was the right one. I realize that we have the Bible that gives us all the rules and guidelines to being a good Christian, but, how do we know what is true? I believe in the Holy Trinity and do my best to follow the 10 commandments. Of course most of the time I fail miserably, but I thank God each night for His Grace.

How can we not celebrate life and the life all around us? When I look at the stars or when I see some show on the universe I always think, "Everything in the Universe is how it is for our very existance. If one thing was out of whack we would not be able to survive". It just humbles me so much just to think about it.

hblueeyes
10-19-2007, 03:32 AM
I do not believe that Christianity is monothesis. You have God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost. Some say Jesus and God are the same but this is untrue. The Holy Ghost is also a separate spirit. I believe that a person can be Christian and practice Wiccan too. But I also admit my Wiccan knowledge is minute at best. I believe that everything has a spirit and it is okay to honor that spirit. Everything on the planet is given to us by the creator and it should be revered and celebrated.

Me:star:

Sweetberries
10-19-2007, 04:18 AM
thank you for a interesting read