PDA

View Full Version : My power keeps going out

ahippiechic
10-02-2007, 07:09 AM
It isn't storming, a little windy tho. I have batt back-up for the server and my PC but with them both running it's not going to last very long, so I guess i'll shut this one down, til the power decides to stay on a while!

Tasha405
10-02-2007, 07:34 AM
That sucks! Hopefully it will quit that crap soon. lol

Willow
10-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Hope it comes back on soon. :)

ladybugva
10-02-2007, 09:18 AM
that has been the one advantage to our apt. we haven't lost power for long when other around us have. Although i would put up w/ power going off occasionally to get out of this place. LOL
Hope it comes on to stay soon before GH comes on for you. :D Can't miss your daily dose of Jason...

freeplease
10-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Our power goes out so much, we invested in a generator. I call it my frozen food insurance policy.

lymi
10-02-2007, 12:32 PM
We have rural eletricity, so we are used to it going out. Are generators very expensive???? Maybe we should consider one.

Kyla Kym
10-02-2007, 02:01 PM
We have rural eletricity, so we are used to it going out. Are generators very expensive???? Maybe we should consider one.

It depends on the size of the generator. A small one will run around $500 the last time I checked. The one we have is like a $4,000.00 one and it will run the our whole house. The only reason I have such a nice one is because I built a website for the company in exchange for the generator. Or else I couldn't have afforded it. This was back when that ice storm hit southwest Ar. really hard many years ago. Our area was without power for 2 solid weeks. And when you live rural that means no water either, because everyone had well pumps that are electric. So just about everyone during that time had to go buy generators. Our power goes off all the time here, so they really come in handy. :)

Kyla Kym
10-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Oh something else I learned about generators during that ice storm that might be handy for some of you is.

Those great big welding machines that are portable can be used as a home generator. That's what our neighbors use. So if your hubby is a welder, this might be something you would be interested in.

Also if you live rural, a farm tractor can be used as a home generator. That's what some of the other people around here did during that ice storm. So if you have a tractor or are planning on getting one, that might be something you might want to check into. :)

Shann
10-02-2007, 02:17 PM
that sucks, hope you're up and running soon

ahippiechic
10-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Well, it's been on for a while now, so I hope it stays on!

freeplease
10-02-2007, 05:23 PM
We paid $800 for our generator. About the cost of a freezer and a half of ruined food. It's come in handy quite a few times. We had a horrible ice storm last winter, and every summer it goes out for a few days.

You don't have to spend what we did. We were kind of stuck between a rock and a freezer full of melting food. It was the second day of a summer storm outage, Home depot had two left, you do the math. lol It does run for 8-10 hours on a tank of gas, so it's nice not to have to refill it so often.

Man I hate power outages. I'd never make it as a caveman.

ahippiechic
10-02-2007, 05:50 PM
I feel for you guys.

I've never off here for very long, today they were working on a transformer on the corner. Our battery backup for the PC's usually lasts for about 4 hours, then it shuts everything down for you, after saving it. Much better than it just getting shut off when the power blinks. The server is on it and my PC and with both of the being used, it cuts down on how long the battery lasts, so I usually just save whatever I have open and shut mine down.

ilikefree
10-03-2007, 06:18 AM
How old is your house? We live in an ancient house and our power would go on and off at times. I don't know how he knew where to check and what made him think of doing so, but dh made a hole in the wall close to the ceiling and found that the house still had all the OLD wiring and the connections weren't good at all. This was about 16 years ago as we were getting ready to go on vacation. Well, we wanted a house to come back to, so he turned off the power till we got back. Then we rewired the whole house. A big pain, but at least we knew the wiring was good and didn't have to worry about a house fire because of it.

cabby92
10-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Our power is off frequently. We keep our generator permanantly hooked up so we just have to flip one switch and pull one plug. We barely miss a beat when it goes out.

ahippiechic
10-03-2007, 07:37 AM
How old is your house? We live in an ancient house and our power would go on and off at times. I don't know how he knew where to check and what made him think of doing so, but dh made a hole in the wall close to the ceiling and found that the house still had all the OLD wiring and the connections weren't good at all. This was about 16 years ago as we were getting ready to go on vacation. Well, we wanted a house to come back to, so he turned off the power till we got back. Then we rewired the whole house. A big pain, but at least we knew the wiring was good and didn't have to worry about a house fire because of it.

I live in an apt, so I HOPE the woring is good, lol! But here they are either working on lines, poles, etc or a vehicle hit a pole.

freeplease
10-03-2007, 09:56 AM
It seems like a month doesn't go by and some idiot drives his car into a utility pole or a transformer. Boom, power's out. That, and mother nature. They all want my power. lol

Aloha from paradise
10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
We have a generator but it's in case a hurricane comes. Hope we move before we ever have to use it.