PDA

View Full Version : Real Pumpkin Recipes?

freeby4me
09-16-2007, 06:55 AM
Hey everyone, Im looking for REAL pumpkin recipes, the kind that uses the real pumpkins, not canned pumpkin. I tried searching on here and couldnt really come up with anything and I dont really want to be searching online just anywhere.

Does anyone have any recipes they'd be willing to share with me?? Im talking the kind that wants the boiled, mashed real pumpkin and everything!!

Explorer 4x4'r
09-16-2007, 07:44 AM
I just substitute real pumpkin for the canned.
Make sure it's drained very well before mashing

Mommyt6
09-16-2007, 08:39 AM
any recipe that calls for canned...Just measure out in ounces your fresh. I only use fresh or homegrown pumpkin. I have found that it works just to measure out in ounces and you get a better pumpkin flavor. Also allrecipes.com has some good ones calling for fresh pumpkin. Good luck.

freeby4me
09-16-2007, 08:45 AM
OK thats easy enough I guess.

Now a question would be where can I find a recipe for for getting the real pumpkin to the cooked pumpkin stage LOL

onfire4god57
09-16-2007, 08:53 AM
This is the way I cook my pumpkin.

Cut your pumpkin in half and clean out all the seeds and strings from the center. Then place them cut side down into a pan. I use a two inch deep roasting pan. They will juice out a lot. Cover them with foil (to prevent burning) and bake on 350 until they are done. It all depends on how big they are as to how long it takes to bake them.

When they are done, I let them cool some (for ease of handling) and peel off the skin, and then I put mine in the food processor to blend it all up.

I use mine in a special pie recipe that is specifically for fresh pumpkin. And I also make pumpkin logs with it. Both recipes call for 2 cups of pumpkin, so I freeze mine in bags with just 2 cups of pumpkin in each that way I can pull out just what I need.

As soon as I get a few extra minutes I'll get out those recipes for you and post them.

Hope this helps.

Mommyt6
09-16-2007, 08:54 AM
That is really easy. Just cut your pumpkin up. Wrap in loosely in foil. Add like 1/4 cup of water to the bottom (in the foil) then seal it up. Put it on a baking Sheet and place in the oven at 350 till soft. Depending on the size of your pieces about 1 to 1 1/2 hours should do it. Then scoop it out of the shell. you can use it right away(let it cool first) or place it in freezer bags and freeze. I have been doing this for about 4 years now and will never use canned pumpkin again.

Army-Mom
09-16-2007, 09:13 AM
I did a seach using "recipes for fresh pumpkins" and this is what I got..hope it helps..

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/web/recipes%252Busing%252Bfresh%252Bpumkins/1/-/1/-/-/-/1/-/-/-/1/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/417/top/-/-/-/1

suprtruckr
09-16-2007, 09:45 AM
And I also make pumpkin logs with it.

would that be what is also called pumpkin rolls?

freeby4me
09-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Wow it sounds super easy, thank you everyone for the wonderful ideas.

MistyWolf
09-16-2007, 10:34 AM
would that be what is also called pumpkin rolls?

Yes, pumpkin logs/rolls are one in the same .. and they are so yummy! Aussie and I are going to make some this fall. I never have made them, but she says hers are the best so I am going to do it this year .. lol.

suprtruckr
09-16-2007, 12:09 PM
kim makes them sometimes and now if onfire is making them, as close as she is to me hehehe ;) :drool :party:

onfire4god57
09-16-2007, 02:45 PM
kim makes them sometimes and now if onfire is making them, as close as she is to me hehehe ;) :drool :party:

I would be more than happy to share. Don't know how much time I'm going to have to make many this year though. When we lived in Florida I had a regular group of people that used to order them from me every week. I got tired of making them after awhile. Even got to the point I didn't even want to eat them, but I guess that was ok too. However I still do have several bags of pumpkin in the freezer from last year yet.

suprtruckr
09-16-2007, 03:20 PM
thanks for the offer but i better pass i'm big enough as it is :rolling

Juli67
09-16-2007, 03:39 PM
allrecipes.com