PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitoes

loveswolfs
09-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Who all cant walk out side with out a ton of these little buggers biting the crap out of you? I walk out even when the sun is out and i get like 40 of them flying around me. I have so many bites i can play connect the dots on the welts im getting. OFF & any other bug spary is not working, not even avon's skin so soft. My dog dont even like to be out now..she does she job and back in the house. Heard we will have them for a month yet...i want them gone now :gaah

witchy1030
09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I thought I was the only one going through this I can be with a group of people in my yard and I'm the only one that is being attacked. I have tried everything we even treated the property that is suppose to get rid of bugs. I feel like a dog with fleas with all the scratching I'm doing. Please if anyone has a trick or suggestion (other than stay inside) please pass it on to us. I don't have any standing water my pool is over clorined (sp?) my lawn is mowed once a week.

Aloha from paradise
09-04-2007, 08:59 PM
We have them really bad here too! They love me. And my house is being taken over by ants. Can't use bug spray because of the bird so I put out ant traps but I guess I have stupid ants. It said on the box for the ants to go in and eat and then come out and die. But the ants are not going in so I guess they can't read!:rolling :rolling Or maybe they can read and thats why they won't go in!:dontknow:

lucimPI
09-04-2007, 09:09 PM
We had so much rain in July and August that the mosquitos are out in force and the flies and the Japanese beetles (these suckers really bite-they look like a much bigger lady bug). This morning I left Luc (my dog) out and the grass was just cut but as he walked through it, swarms of gnats came flying out. Oh and lest I forget the spider webs are all over. I really hate spiders. They scare the pants off me. These are the kind that build huge webs, I kid you not but some of the webs are 3 feet across. These spiders only come out at night. I stay in at night...I am in Illinois...

Aloha from paradise
09-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I'd stay in at night too! YUCK!!!

Barcode
09-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Maybe this will help you plan your out door activities.

http://www.weather.com/activities/homeandgarden/home/mosquito/?from=secondarynav

Some days you check in with that and can give you a weeks forcast. Sometimes it's just one day, like now. I use the pump spray OFF only when I have too but I spray it on my clothes. And I don't use hairspray or mousse or deodorant if i'm going to be outside for anything lenth of time. I really don't have a problem with them, it's poison ivy that always attacks me. If there's a plant within a hundred yards of me I'll get it..

Bahet
09-04-2007, 09:43 PM
We've been own here for 3 years and I've not gotten a single mosquito bite. I got them all the time when we lived in MI but there aren't any down here. Not around my area anyhow. AZ actually has a pretty high rate of West Nile. I joke with my parents (who live about 5 miles away) that apparently both the mosquitoes are infected. :rofl:

loveswolfs
09-04-2007, 11:38 PM
With the 8 days of rain we had they were able to lay lots of eggs. Then 2 weeks to hatch and omg its unreal. we had a bon fire going the other night, 2of them bug candles, and yes we put off on & other stuff & its not working..they still get you. I all ready covered my pool untill next year so i dont have any water any where. You cant even walk out the door to get in your car or get the mail with out coming in with a few bites. Wish i had a net i could wear when i went out side lol.

Barcode
09-05-2007, 01:02 AM
Geezz oh man.. Can you call city hall and see if they will come around and spray?

Lori63
09-05-2007, 02:40 AM
I am a mosquito magnet. I went on a mission to trip to New Orleans in April '06 and the mosquitoes were horrible-the only thing that works for me is Avon's bug repellant.
Also, deodorant (the white stuff) works to take the itch out of the bites

Shann
09-05-2007, 02:57 AM
:dancing: :marchmellow: :happy none of them really around here. I'm so thankful for that as they LOVE me. i could be in a big group of people and be the only one getting bit :(

Char
09-05-2007, 03:08 AM
I too am a total mosquito magnet (we need a 12 step program for that).

Some claim they are worse in the early AM, and early PM... not so for me, they search me out 24/7.

And, like some of you, I can be in a group of people and be the only one getting nailed... I'm swatting and jerking, people look at me wondering what's up...lol

Our city has a spray program, to help fight West Nile virus... but they mainly treat known standing water areas.

I have my dog on monthly heartworm preventive so he can't get sick.

I hate 'em... I really do.

hesnothere
09-05-2007, 04:29 AM
This stuff is the best

http://www.rei.com/product/703338

A few reviews at amazon here
http://www.amazon.com/Repel-Lemon-Eucalyptus-Insect/dp/B000MWAI8A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2462149-1959830?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1188991542&sr=8-1

and Epinions
http://www.epinions.com/Repel_Repel_Lemon_Eucalyptus_Insect_Repellent_Spra y_Lotion/display_~reviews

Good luck!

witchy1030
09-05-2007, 04:39 AM
We have pest control that comes out but these buggers seem to think it's happy hour for them cause whatever they spray does nothing. I smoke and I was always told that the smoke keeps them away, well I can tell you first hand it don't.

loveswolfs
09-05-2007, 05:06 AM
We have pest control that comes out but these buggers seem to think it's happy hour for them cause whatever they spray does nothing. I smoke and I was always told that the smoke keeps them away, well I can tell you first hand it don't.

I too thought the smoke woud keep them away..nope..and not even from the fire we had.

loveswolfs
09-05-2007, 05:11 AM
Geezz oh man.. Can you call city hall and see if they will come around and spray?

The only place they spray are the wet lands or near water , other wise we are on our own. I had to take my mom some where at 6am today, she kept telling me to hurry getting the car out they were biting her. I had a few in my car from last night when i was trying to get my grandson out of the car seat, & they were going after him & biting me on my legs.

Army-Mom
09-05-2007, 05:15 AM
we have had problems with ants..

Char
09-05-2007, 05:37 AM
And when I get mosquito bites, I have them for a month... always fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, used to have a Harley Sportster... sweet bike.

DAVESBABYDOLL
09-05-2007, 05:50 AM
We have had MAJOR problems with mosquitos. I was reading the paper this morning and there is an article on the front page, it says since the flooding here (Findlay,Ohio) masquitos are ten times worse then prior years due to flooding and still standing water in areas. They WON'T be gone until the first frost...which will be a while :(

Poor Dawson,she's five and loves the outdoors,she wants to go out and drive her car. I let her yesterday for about a half hour, I sprayed her but she still had some bites,a few the size of quarters. She's already asking to go out today. :( I don't want to let her.

loveswolfs
09-05-2007, 05:57 AM
We have had MAJOR problems with mosquitos. I was reading the paper this morning and there is an article on the front page, it says since the flooding here (Findlay,Ohio) masquitos are ten times worse then prior years due to flooding and still standing water in areas. They WON'T be gone until the first frost...which will be a while :(

Poor Dawson,she's five and loves the outdoors,she wants to go out and drive her car. I let her yesterday for about a half hour, I sprayed her but she still had some bites,a few the size of quarters. She's already asking to go out today. :( I don't want to let her.

Thats what is happening here too. My grandson wants to go out and i tell him he cant and then show him all my bites and say now you dont want them lol. Its like they are just waiting for you, & if they could they would just carry you off some where.

DAVESBABYDOLL
09-05-2007, 06:23 AM
I know..open the back door to let the dog out and it seems like they are right there waiting. Really sucks!

Shann
09-05-2007, 06:26 AM
I just heard on the news that they are the worst between 10 pm to 2 am with contracting West Nile Virus eek!

myashley89
09-05-2007, 07:41 AM
they don't really get us alot, but my 5 yo dd, all she has to do is walk outside! Last year a couple of times she got bit up so badly, her arm was all puffed up! Poor lil thing. I plaster that off all over here now.

cubsgirl21
09-05-2007, 08:31 AM
They're everywhere in the Chicago burbs thanks to all the rain we've had. I have so many bites on me too. I'm in a wedding on Friday and have 2 bites on my face. Now I have to track down waterproof concealer to cover these bites up. My dogs don't want to play outside because of all mosquitos. One of my friend's mom said to put toothpaste on the bite if it's really big and you want to shrink it, and that rubbing alcohol takes the itch away. Sounds goofy, but she swears by it.

BigLyd1
09-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Thank God we don't get very many at all. But we've had the threat of West Nile in our area even though it's been so incredibly dry. If it ever gets real rainy, we have to be very careful as there is a flood control channel behind us.

Do those citronella (sp?) candles work? I know when I was visiting back in CT last year it would keep them away but of course that would only cover a very small area.

witchy1030
09-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I use a bug zapper, tiki torches, candles and off (or something along that line I've tried so many) plus I smoke and I still get bit. They seem to love my ankles

janelle
09-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I've heard the bug zapper only kills the bugs that eat the mosquitos and not the mosquitos. Our neighbors have one and I hear the bugs getting zapped all the time. Yuck.

Look for any standing water around your property and get rid of it. In buckets, rain gutters, etc. Mow the tall grass and weeds, etc.

I like to go walking with my hubby since he is the magnet and I am left alone. It's mean, I know.

DrGrin
09-05-2007, 01:20 PM
There are many cases of West Nile Virus being reported. Some people don't recognize the combination of symptoms that they need to be looking for. They said on the news that anyone experiencing Flu like symptoms combined with a rash, or any swelling in the joints should go to go to an ER to be checked for West Nile Virus.

lymi
09-05-2007, 05:44 PM
I havent tried it yet, but I was told to put a bounce dryer sheet in your pocket. Also, rub one over your dogs to help